ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: What was the format of the first recording that you purchased?

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
So our recent threads on best and worst songs got me thinking along generational lines and, wallah, this poll spring to mind. For extra credit, feel free to list the song and/or artist you first purchased.

Wax Cylinder 1 / 33.33%
bar.gif

Is that you Tom?

It was an (ear) wax cylinder. The recording was entitled: "Mr Watson come here. I want You". I believe Phil Spector produced it as he had be nailing Watson pretty regularly. Crazy guy.

Hmm.. first 45... very hard to remember.. :Joy to the World" or "Hot Pants" prolly

First album.. used "Credence Gold"... could be best money I ever spent on music.

45 - Big Girls Don't Cry by the 4 Seasons.

Don't remember which but 1st Album was most likely by the Beach Boys

1st 8 Track was The Time Has Come by the Chanbers Brothers

Originally posted by zgoru:
Wax Cylinder 1 / 33.33%
bar.gif

Is that you Tom?
Mary had a little lamb
It's fleece was white as snow

And everywhere that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go

Remember it like it was yesterday
smile.r191677.gif

A vinyl 12" single in 1945 when I was discharged from the Army Air Corps.Probably a Sarah Vaughn recording.She was young and on her way to great fame.Went from Sassy to the Divine One. And rightly so.

Originally posted by knightfan7:

45 - Big Girls Don't Cry by the 4 Seasons.

Don't remember which but 1st Album was most likely by the Beach Boys

1st 8 Track was The Time Has Come by the Chanbers Brothers
45 - Sherry by the 4 Seasons

Ya know, I had to really think back to what the first 45's were that I bought - I knew I picked up 3 as I was just starting out DJ'ing at Lakewood Forest Country Club in our subdivision in Houston Texas. This was Fall of 1978, so I'm pretty sure they were: The Gambler by Kenny Rogers, Hold The Line by Toto and Y.M.C.A. by the Village People.

I was surprised that the 45 had so many votes, but it really hung around a lot longer than many of the ones that followed.
Mine was "All shook up" by Elvis

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:
Hmm.. first 45... very hard to remember.. :Joy to the World" or "Hot Pants" prolly

First album.. used "Credence Gold"... could be best money I ever spent on music.
First was 45. Probably The Night Chicago Died or some such crapola.

Originally posted by beaced:
A vinyl 12" single in 1945 when I was discharged from the Army Air Corps.Probably a Sarah Vaughn recording.She was young and on her way to great fame.Went from Sassy to the Divine One. And rightly so.
Damn. My father was discharged from the Army Air Corps in '45 and he would be 105 today.

Was either Kung Foo Fighting by Karl Douglas, Seasons In the Sun by 4Real's Favorite, or something close to those. I still have them in the basement, as I just discovered the other day.

Spanky,you missed 4 track tapes,around for a short while in the late 60's.I had a 4 track player in my 58' Buick in 1967.

Your Dad obviously went into the Service many years before me or was older than I when he began his service.I had just turned 18,which makes me a mere stripling youth of 89 at this time.
Originally posted by OntheBanks:

Originally posted by beaced:
Damn. My father was discharged from the Army Air Corps in '45 and he would be 105 today.

Vinyl. The "Crimson and Clover" album by Tommy James and the Shondells. I still kind of like it!

I remember buying a bunch of 45s in 1973, when I was 11, including "Stuck in the Middle With You" (Stealer's Wheel), Wildfire (Skylark), "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" (Jim Croce), "Dancing in the Moonlight" (King Harvest), "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love?" (Spinners), Do It Again (Steely Dan), and "Space Oddity" (Bowie). Not sure I got them all at once, but they're all in my little 45 carrying case I got for my 11th birthday.

Tie between Licensed to ill and WWF Piledriver. Both on cassette.

Slick had a song called "Jive Soul Bro" on the Piledriver album that was disturbing to me, even as a young child.

EDIT: found the link.....my word.

This post was edited on 3/28 7:56 PM by Rutgers 2004

Jive Soul Bro

45's "Get A Job" by the Silhouettes? Danny and the Juniors "At the Hop." First album Richie Valens with "Oh, Donna"

A 45 of "In The Year 25 25" It's hard to believe this song was written in the 60's, since so much of it is true and either has happened or is ready to happen in the near future.

This post was edited on 3/29 8:57 AM by Exit117

Cassette tape- Batman soundtrack at the Pocono Flea Market in July/ August 1989 (I was 9).

Joe P.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT