ADVERTISEMENT

Positive from last night

S_Janowski

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 24, 2009
Marlton, NJ
That was the least amount of SHU fans I’ve ever seen at the RAC (dating back to when I was a student from 2007-2011).

Honestly felt like there was 100 of them.

Unfortunately we couldn’t take care of business, but was happy I didn’t have to deal with a bunch of dorky fans on the way out.

On TV, it looked like just a handful of blue shirts in a sea of Scarlet.
Unfortunately, the crowd never seemed to get into enough to rattle SHU, I guess a 17 point second half will do that to the best of them.

Another bright side - the next six games
#79 (Kenpom) Wake Forest
#234 Bucknell
#290 Coppin State
All at home - plenty of time get things right, then plenty of games against ranked teams to build up that resume for March.
#5 Purdue in West Lafayette
#17 Maryland at Home
#24 Iowa at Home
You gotta love the Big Ten Schedule
Believe!

That was the least amount of SHU fans I’ve ever seen at the RAC (dating back to when I was a student from 2007-2011).

Unfortunately we couldn’t take care of business, but was happy I didn’t have to deal with a bunch of dorky fans on the way out.
They, like us, thought they might get blown out. Not many expected this. A friend of mine is a long-time Seton Hall season ticket holder and told me he had no interest in going and fully expected us to wipe the court with them.

Even if we had blown them out, I also don’t care if we keep this rivalry going. It’s always dead at their place, and it seems like it’s only alive at ours if we are underdogs. The rivalry is not what it used to be since we were in one league and most of the players were local. 6:30 at night on a Sunday didn’t help. Not sour grapes at all but they can stick a fork in it for all I care.

Unfortunately, the crowd never seemed to get into enough to rattle SHU, I guess a 17 point second half will do that to the best of them.

#79 (Kenpom) Wake Forest
#234 Bucknell
#290 Coppin State
All at home - plenty of time get things right, then plenty of games against ranked teams to build up that resume for March.
#17 Maryland at Home
#24 Iowa at Home
Believe!

It's crazy that we are a couple layups and a correct out of bounds call from potentially being ranked. That's life I guess.

Were tickets available to the general public?

#79 (Kenpom) Wake Forest
#234 Bucknell
#290 Coppin State
#17 Maryland at Home
#24 Iowa at Home
Believe!
That 5 game stretch from Maryland to at MSU 1/5 thru 1/19 has 5 coin tosses.

This 5 game stretch IU through WF was going to define how the season was going to go. That 5 game stretch coming could determine the fate of the season.

We could be sitting at 10-9 after the MSU game and not be playing bad basketball, but just not making the plays when they matter.

They, like us, thought they might get blown out. Not many expected this. A friend of mine is a long-time Seton Hall season ticket holder and told me he had no interest in going and fully expected us to wipe the court with them.

Even if we had blown them out, I also don’t care if we keep this rivalry going. It’s always dead at their place, and it seems like it’s only alive at ours if we are underdogs. The rivalry is not what it used to be since we were in one league and most of the players were local. 6:30 at night on a Sunday didn’t help. Not sour grapes at all but they can stick a fork in it for all I care.
Can not disagree more. Crowd was waiting to erupt. Love the local rivalry, the Deck the Hall shirts, wear Red to this game! The only tough thing was the outcome.

Can not disagree more. Crowd was waiting to erupt. Love the local rivalry, the Deck the Hall shirts, wear Red to this game! The only tough thing was the outcome.
IMO, I did not think it had the same feel before the game as either of the last two games vs. Seton Hall at home. I think Sunday night had a lot to do with it or maybe because I expected us to be way better than them. Terrible time for this game, though.

Reactions: MiloTalon13

#79 (Kenpom) Wake Forest
#234 Bucknell
#290 Coppin State
#17 Maryland at Home
#24 Iowa at Home
Believe!
Wake Forest is sneaky good.

Good point and I was very surprised as well. 100 may be literal!

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Less than 100 Pirate fans..least ever. Compare to 800 plus Indiana brought
You could not buy a single game ticket. You had to buy a 3 game ticket package to go to the game. That stopped Hall fans from going . Good move by you guys. It really can't be done at the rock to stop your fans from coming .

Reactions: bac2therac

Watched the game on FS1 and clearly heard Let's Go Pirates cheer at two different times during the game, RU crowd seemed subdued at times.

You could not buy a single game ticket. You had to buy a 3 game ticket package to go to the game. That stopped Hall fans from going . Good move by you guys. It really can't be done at the rock to stop your fans from coming .
It was a 4 game package for $110 a seat. I bought two packages, but couldn't attend because I had to drive my kid to Philly last night.

Reactions: blueoyster
6:30 on a Sunday night is horrible scheduling. When ever you play at a strange day and time strange things happen.
Back when I was coaching, decades ago, it was the 1:00 Saturday afternoon games I hated. In those days teams played primarily on Tuesday and Friday nights.
Everyone would seem out of sorts. Similar to the SHU game.

Reactions: biazza38

From the first two sentences, the math makes it seem like you had to deal with an even greater number than usual.

(nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...)

Seriously, though, Rutgers made it tougher than I ever remember for Hall fans to get tickets to this one. I didn't even try (which also speaks to the dynamics around my expectations), but this was a pretty common refrain among my brethren. The Sunday night tip (and, for late deciders, the rain) also didn't help drive people who didn't already have tickets, mostly Rutgers fans. But I suspect the tactics Rutgers used to limit Hall fans were effective and will continue in 2024. If you can sell the place out anyway, why not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT