ADVERTISEMENT

Projected Minutes Distribution/Roster

Assuming Jones signs (which we defintely shouldn't be assuming) if we don't then who is the guy that isn't worthy of 12 minutes.

So i am sticking to we do until we don't
If you assume Jones signs and also assume Acuff, Jones, Derkack, Martini live up too expectations then Jwill minutes take a big hit and Jmike doesn’t play. Jmike at best situational defense replacement.
Pretty straight forward

If you assume Jones signs and also assume Acuff, Jones, Derkack, Martini live up too expectations then Jwill minutes take a big hit and Jmike doesn’t play. Jmike at best situational defense replacement.
Pretty straight forward
Highly unlikely ever single one of them lives up to expectations. And I think Pike will rotate frequently to keep the intensity up.

Highly unlikely ever single one of them lives up to expectations. And I think Pike will rotate frequently to keep the intensity up.
no disagreement that’s why I said assume. Either way Jmike first casualty. No disrespect to him because I love intensity but too much a liability on offense and too small against bigger Big ten guards.

Way too early lots of practice and time .

Pretty straight forward
Interesting, but that's a lot of assuming. J Will, who I'm not a huge fan of, is the only one who has done anything positive at this level. Derkack has the same attributes but it's a big jump up. I happen to think Acuff will be fine. Jones was the 4th best player on LBSU, he's most likely an excellent 8th or 9th man.

Interesting, but that's a lot of assuming. J Will, who I'm not a huge fan of, is the only one who has done anything positive at this level. Derkack has the same attributes but it's a big jump up. I happen to think Acuff will be fine. Jones was the 4th best player on LBSU, he's most likely an excellent 8th or 9th man.
No disagreement but the GFR was making assumptions so I just went along for the ride. Reality they all probably won’t meet expectations and this will work itself out.

Reactions: seansherm
The conference Defensive player of the year, shooting 40% from 3, was only the 4th best player? That's a stacked team!

Too soon to say JMike is first out.
Unless Pike missed on all the portal guys he’s out. I know he is Ace’s best friend but gives you zero on the offensive end. If we’re talking NCAA tournament run he’s out. Avg handle, can’t create his own shot, too small too finish , cannot shoot, trouble with bigger guards on defense.

Intensity love, on ball defense fantastic, intangibles absolutely but first to lose time.

Now if they get into practice and his game made a Huge leap then obviously we revisit.

Unless Pike missed on all the portal guys he’s out. I know he is Ace’s best friend but gives you zero on the offensive end. If we’re talking NCAA tournament run he’s out. Avg handle, can’t create his own shot, too small too finish , cannot shoot, trouble with bigger guards on defense.

Intensity love, on ball defense fantastic, intangibles absolutely but first to lose time.

Now if they get into practice and his game made a Huge leap then obviously we revisit.
He does have the opportunity to improve. And, for me to be right he doesn't have to be better than all the portal guys. Just one. Bet the field.

He does have the opportunity to improve. And, for me to be right he doesn't have to be better than all the portal guys. Just one. Bet the field.
Ok! We view him differently no biggie! I hope the improvement is there for all the guys. I just don’t want a liability you don’t have to guard on the floor and who will be isolated in the post on D because he is way too small.
I hope your right

The conference Defensive player of the year, shooting 40% from 3, was only the 4th best player? That's a stacked team!
They were .500 in the Big West, but won 21. The defensive player of the year award was a couple years ago. Even this year, his 4th, his efficiency rating was 4th best on the team of guys with high minutes. He was 3rd on the team his DPOY year. He's a low usage shooter. They have brothers that almost average a double double each (one did, one was 12 and 8) and another who scored 17 per.

Congratulations.

You managed to add one sentence at the end to save your analysis.

We can rely on you to pretty much get everything wrong, but at least you showed a willingness to admit you might be clueless at the end.

Davis is my pick to be the biggest surprise of next year.

The kid has moxy and fight.

He struggled mightily with everything on the offensive end early in the year, but his defensive intensity put him out there as one of Pikiell's starters throughout the year.

That defensive intensity is not going away. He started to improve on his offensive game as the season drew to a close. He started hitting a higher percentage of free throws. He started making some of those contested layups - or at least getting to the foul line. No surprise, you did not notice.

Pikiell loves defense and intensity. This kid gives both.

If we add Jones, we will have a deep roster with lots of guys who love defense. That makes it harder for Davis, but he is clearly a fighter. If he works on his shooting especially, we will be seeing him on the court.

I love how this team is coming together. If we can rebound, we are going to be formidable. We have so many potential quality contributors that it is easy to write Davis off. He is a real competitor though, so I would not be the least bit surprised to see him be a major contributor to our succcess.

Congratulations.

You managed to add one sentence at the end to save your analysis.

We can rely on you to pretty much get everything wrong, but at least you showed a willingness to admit you might be clueless at the end.

Davis is my pick to be the biggest surprise of next year.

The kid has moxy and fight.

He struggled mightily with everything on the offensive end early in the year, but his defensive intensity put him out there as one of Pikiell's starters throughout the year.

That defensive intensity is not going away. He started to improve on his offensive game as the season drew to a close. He started hitting a higher percentage of free throws. He started making some of those contested layups - or at least getting to the foul line. No surprise, you did not notice.

Pikiell loves defense and intensity. This kid gives both.

If we add Jones, we will have a deep roster with lots of guys who love defense. That makes it harder for Davis, but he is clearly a fighter. If he works on his shooting especially, we will be seeing him on the court.

I love how this team is coming together. If we can rebound, we are going to be formidable. We have so many potential quality contributors that it is easy to write Davis off. He is a real competitor though, so I would not be the least bit surprised to see him be a major contributor to our succcess.
Honey I forgot more basketball typing this sentence than you have in your entire head. Unless he grows 4-6 inches learns how to shoot, he’s out! Can not shoot, too small on defense and gets isolated and beat up. Definitely love is intensity.

If your golden nugget is he shot better FT down the stretch then your a genius. 25 ft in last 9 games ( if I go back further it gets worse so I gave you his best FT games) That’s why he deserves to play? 😆

His 3 pt shooting became worse.

I understand on a bad team why you love a kid who tires really hard but was too small too be successful. It’s like you and your take.

If old Pike is coaching then yes he won’t hurt his feelings and he will play limited min because of Ace and his relationship. If Derkack and Jones recruited for D both are bigger than Jmike they also finish and shoot better then Jmike.

You can route for him in the portal after Ace leaves.

Ok! We view him differently no biggie! I hope the improvement is there for all the guys. I just don’t want a liability you don’t have to guard on the floor and who will be isolated in the post on D because he is way too small.
I hope your right
Just to be clear, I'm saying "it's too soon to say with any confidence" that he will be the last on the bench. That is all.

They were .500 in the Big West, but won 21. The defensive player of the year award was a couple years ago. Even this year, his 4th, his efficiency rating was 4th best on the team of guys with high minutes. He was 3rd on the team his DPOY year. He's a low usage shooter. They have brothers that almost average a double double each (one did, one was 12 and 8) and another who scored 17 per.
That's strange that he had a high shooting percentage, low usage, but was low efficiency. Shooting percentage usually correlates very strongly with efficiency. Again, those other players must be good.

I assume you are only looking at offense?

That's strange that he had a high shooting percentage, low usage, but was low efficiency. Shooting percentage usually correlates very strongly with efficiency. Again, those other players must be good.

I assume you are only looking at offense?
No, that is just his total player efficiency rating. His offensive rating was very high, as low usage good shooting would indicate, and had a very good 55% Efg. Was 2nd on team in offensive win shares, 3rd in defensive win shares this year.
Their player efficiency ratings for the 5 guys that played 900 minute.
A Traore 21.6
L Traore 18.5
JJ 16.8
A George 15.3
M Tshonis 18.6

Either way, he's a great fit for RU in his anticipated role, not a guy that needs the ball to be successful.

No, that is just his total player efficiency rating. His offensive rating was very high, as low usage good shooting would indicate, and had a very good 55% Efg. Was 2nd on team in offensive win shares, 3rd in defensive win shares this year.
Their player efficiency ratings for the 5 guys that played 900 minute.
A Traore 21.6
L Traore 18.5
JJ 16.8
A George 15.3
M Tshonis 18.6

Either way, he's a great fit for RU in his anticipated role, not a guy that needs the ball to be successful.
Aaron Breitman said in his podcast today that JJ was the most efficient player in the Big West. I guess he's looking at a different metric or service?

Reactions: Scangg
Our ‘19-‘20 team had Geo, Young, Caleb, Montez, and Mulcahy who all got between 18 and 29 mpg. RHj was the “3” and Yaboah the “4”. Plenty of minutes to go around for 5 or 6 guards.

Like RHj in ‘19-‘20 I would think Ace will play 8-10 mpg as a 4 in three guard lineups.

Reactions: Scangg
Forget everyone else's minutes.

Can we all agree that one of Ace or Dylan must be on the court at all times?
They can't both come off the floor at the first media timeout.

Most efficient offensively maybe?
Maybe. Again, just seems weird that the most efficient offensively, and the defensive player of the year from the previous season, doesn’t even rank that high on his own team.

We have this same argument almost every year. Why is it that the stars of 90% of college teams can play 33-35 minutes per game in most of their big games, but you always want and have our guys only playing 3/4 of a game?

Unless there are blowouts, I want our guys playing 34-35 minutes per game. These guys can play 4 AAU games in a day, but have to rest in college? Zach Edey played 39 minutes in the final.....

Best of Luck,
Groz
Because it is not true. On Purdue, Edey averaged 32 mpg, Braden Smith was 34 mpg, and everyone else was under 30.

Our ‘19-‘20 team had Geo, Young, Caleb, Montez, and Mulcahy who all got between 18 and 29 mpg. RHj was the “3” and Yaboah the “4”. Plenty of minutes to go around for 5 or 6 guards.

Like RHj in ‘19-‘20 I would think Ace will play 8-10 mpg as a 4 in three guard lineups.
He probably plays all minutes at the "4" unless Dortch and/or Grant are really good right away.

He probably plays all minutes at the "4" unless Dortch and/or Grant are really good right away.
What's the difference playing at the 4? We have a bunch of tall guys who can all dribble, pass, shoot, and rebound. The only difference is who would get the assignment to play D if we needed to defend against an opposing team trying to utilize an old school power forward trying to grind in the post. How many teams have that as a meaningful part of their offense now? I don't think a lot. I think it makes more sense to talk about who gets assigned to defend the second big if an opponent plays 2 bigs. I think Martini would get a lot of those assignments.

What's the difference playing at the 4? We have a bunch of tall guys who can all dribble, pass, shoot, and rebound. The only difference is who would get the assignment to play D if we needed to defend against an opposing team trying to utilize an old school power forward trying to post up. How many teams have that now? I don't think a lot. I think it makes more sense to talk about who gets assigned to defend the second big if an opponent plays 2 bigs. I think Martini would get a lot of those assignments.
Agree 100% matchup based and with interchangeable pieces Pike should be able to adjust on the fly. Would be nice though to establish an identity and make teams adjust to us.
I.E. Play small like a Golden State Death lineup (UNLV Tark style).try and run teams out of the gym and press.

Either way lots of depth is never bad

Agree 100% matchup based and with interchangeable pieces Pike should be able to adjust on the fly. Would be nice though to establish an identity and make teams adjust to us.
I.E. Play small like a Golden State Death lineup (UNLV Tark style).try and run teams out of the gym and press.

Either way lots of depth is never bad
It seems pretty clear that Pike has a plan for the team he wants to build. A good center and then a bunch of interchangeable positionless long gritty players. Pressure D, deep rotation to keep up the intensity, transition scoring, second chance points.

What's the difference playing at the 4? We have a bunch of tall guys who can all dribble, pass, shoot, and rebound. The only difference is who would get the assignment to play D if we needed to defend against an opposing team trying to utilize an old school power forward trying to grind in the post. How many teams have that as a meaningful part of their offense now? I don't think a lot. I think it makes more sense to talk about who gets assigned to defend the second big if an opponent plays 2 bigs. I think Martini would get a lot of those assignments.
playing the "4" is code for having him play alongside 3 of the guys that are in a log jam for minutes

Reactions: NickRU714
The problem is too many interchangeable limited pieces.

Positionless basketball doesn't mean multiples of the same limited players. It means multiples of players who can do all things outside of their "traditional" role.

Ace being able to dribble and bring the ball up the court, shoot from outside at 6'10".
Dylan running the offense as a 6'7" PG and being bigger than most who will defend him.

Jokic in the NBA running the offense at 7'0".

Creating mismatches.

We have 4 "guards who are better with the ball and driving to score at the rim. Mediocre to bad outside shooting."
That's not positionless basketball.
Its depth of the same player over and over with no diversity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT