ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the far more basketball knowledgeable than I

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
When Dean sets the high screen or when he sets the pick closer to the basket...if he doesn't't roll to the basket and sets up on the perimeter, who follows him from the opposition?
Crowl was wide open a few times against us unguarded and Garza used to set up out there and make 3S.

Dean on the perimeter unguarded is a very good shot for us?

Reactions: RUBOB72
I’m not way more knowledgeable but I’ll play. I like Defense.

If you have a 5 like Cliff no problem covering this. If you have a true Big man like Kofi you need to rotate players to run out at Reiber. If you want your big man to stay in the paint then everyone has to rotate and good passing will find wide open players. Pick and choose do you want to give up an easy 2 or take your chances allowing some open 3’s.

Crowl has developed into a really good player for Wisconsin. We would rather he takes a 3 than their other guys. Opposing that team you have to exploit them by driving to the rim. When Dean is in teams look inside more against us. It’s a fun chess game to watch.

Pike likes long and athletic guys who can cover 1-4 and help out on the 5 when needed.

Reactions: RUBOB72
I’m not way more knowledgeable but I’ll play. I like Defense.

If you have a 5 like Cliff no problem covering this. If you have a true Big man like Kofi you need to rotate players to run out at Reiber. If you want your big man to stay in the paint then everyone has to rotate and good passing will find wide open players. Pick and choose do you want to give up an easy 2 or take your chances allowing some open 3’s.

Crowl has developed into a really good player for Wisconsin. We would rather he takes a 3 than their other guys. Opposing that team you have to exploit them by driving to the rim. When Dean is in teams look inside more against us. It’s a fun chess game to watch.

Pike likes long and athletic guys who can cover 1-4 and help out on the 5 when needed.
I believe zap is talking about getting Dean more shots from the outside not the Defense with him.

Zap. I will say yes. Good for us. Wisky-like with the big able to make that shot. he has a nice touch. He was 7 of 12 for 58% !

I believe zap is talking about getting Dean more shots from the outside not the Defense with him.

Zap. I will say yes. Good for us. Wisky-like with the big able to make that shot. he has a nice touch. He was 7 of 12 for 58% !
Yeah but his question was who follows him. I thought I answered it. You have to consider both ends of the floor.

Defense first and then devise ways to score with your lineup.

Yeah but his question was who follows him. I thought I answered it. You have to consider both ends of the floor.

got it. still halfway thru my coffee...missed that part.

The fact you need to follow Dean with someone of like height is good for us, if they do follow him seems to me that opens up the paint. If they choose to guard the drive, Dean should be open.
Thats my extremely rudimentary thinking...lol

Reactions: Loyal-Son
When Dean sets the high screen or when he sets the pick closer to the basket...if he doesn't't roll to the basket and sets up on the perimeter, who follows him from the opposition?
Crowl was wide open a few times against us unguarded and Garza used to set up out there and make 3S.

Dean on the perimeter unguarded is a very good shot for us?
It really depends on the defense, scheme and where the screen is set. Let’s assume man D, the defense is switching on screens and the pick is set down low. Deans defender will try to fight through to defend Dean. If the pick is set high, the guard will most likely rotate and try to defend.

You almost never leave the paint to chase a screening guy heading way out to the corner. The idea is that the screen is likely feeding a cutting player or a penetrating dribble. You are where the play is happening. You don't run away from that spot to where nothing is happening at the moment. You take maybe a step or two in his direction after your defense has readjusted to switches caused by the screen. Any pass to the corner is going to take a second to get there. By that time you should be able to run out and cover...if you're paying attention. It's like the intricacies of knowing when you should go from 2nd to 3rd on a ground ball to the right side of infield.

If you watch McConnell, he isn't locking a guy down for 30 seconds. He only plays ball denial D for the last 8 seconds of the shot clock. He will typically be clogging a passing lane when his man doesn't have the ball for the early part of the shot clock. He has a great sense of time and space and how much ground he can cover. When he's on a very hot shooter, then he commits to full man-to-man mode and then the offensive player might as well sit in the stands because he is just watching the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT