ADVERTISEMENT

RAC is Rockin! Biggest, most athletic team since?

I honestly can't see how someone can be at the game and come to the conclusion that this team needs Corey Sanders.
Because, they have never played a competitive game in any sport during their lives. And, they can only see a whirlwind slam dunk, or other showboating moves, that ignite the crowd, but don't get you wins. Chemistry is every thing, and Corey a school yard player, with a 12 foot shot, that when motivated played Defense. End of story, time to move on to this "TEAM."

Because, they have never played a competitive game in any sport during their lives. And, they can only see a whirlwind slam dunk, or other showboating moves, that ignite the crowd, but don't get you wins. Chemistry is every thing, and Corey a school yard player, with a 12 foot shot, that when motivated played Defense. End of story, time to move on to this "TEAM."

I respect their opinion. It is OK to disagree.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Or your problem is you wrongfully think corey is a selfish prick of a player. Do you realize how many times corey drove and passed the ball to an open guy on a wing only to have them hold the ball or brick a shot? Corey had to take over games by necessity, we had no other options. Corey will be gravely missed on defense in particular. I think is absolutely asinine to say this team wouldnt be Substantially better off with corey.

Now as ive said since last year, deshawn freeman is truly addition by subtraction.

Reactions: AD888
Or your problem is you wrongfully think corey is a selfish prick of a player. Do you realize how many times corey drove and passed the ball to an open guy on a wing only to have them hold the ball or brick a shot? Corey had to take over games by necessity, we had no other options. Corey will be gravely missed on defense in particular. I think is absolutely asinine to say this team wouldnt be Substantially better off with corey
First of all, I never used words like "selfish prick" because I don't think that. The fact that you don't know what a "school yard" player is, tells me more about you. Yes, he often passed out, but not as a setup, but as a desperation pass, because his drive was stopped. That doesn't make him selfish, just desperate. School yard players aren't thinking team, or passing, or wins, they are undisciplined, and don't take care of the ball. A little more flamboyant than they have to be, but most of all don't understand the big picture, it's all about the moment. And, that is where coaching comes to play. A guards job is to get everyone around him better, to create opportunities, to encourage them. Yes, their weren't many options for Corey, but I believe it was more because of Corey then anything else. This team would benefit from Corey, but in a Defensive, limited way...

Or your problem is you wrongfully think corey is a selfish prick of a player. Do you realize how many times corey drove and passed the ball to an open guy on a wing only to have them hold the ball or brick a shot? Corey had to take over games by necessity, we had no other options. Corey will be gravely missed on defense in particular. I think is absolutely asinine to say this team wouldnt be Substantially better off with corey.

Now as ive said since last year, deshawn freeman is truly addition by subtraction.
I personally don’t think he’s a “selfish prick” but I think it’s naive that he could just flip a switch and start playing a more team friendly brand. Corey played that way because he is a scorer first and doesn’t really have very good court vision/passing ability. That’s not a judgment on his character as you are trying to make it, just his way and skills. Even if he made the NBA he wouldn’t be looking to pass, I guarantee that.

His defense will be missed, but overall I think we will be a stronger defensive team. Having Eugene playing most of the minutes at the 4 and a healthy Doorson at the 5 is a better base than we had last year. The guards will get up to speed through coaching, and having the ability to score in many ways means we won’t NEED to hold teams below 55 to win. We just need key stops and that shouldn’t be a problem

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
First of all, I never used words like "selfish prick" because I don't think that. The fact that you don't know what a "school yard" player is, tells me more about you. Yes, he often passed out, but not as a setup, but as a desperation pass, because his drive was stopped. That doesn't make him selfish, just desperate. School yard players aren't thinking team, or passing, or wins, they are undisciplined, and don't take care of the ball. A little more flamboyant than they have to be, but most of all don't understand the big picture, it's all about the moment. And, that is where coaching comes to play. A guards job is to get everyone around him better, to create opportunities, to encourage them. Yes, their weren't many options for Corey, but I believe it was more because of Corey then anything else. This team would benefit from Corey, but in a Defensive, limited way...
Buddy, I played more competitive basketball this summer alone than youve played in your life. My summer league (ncaa certified) team had two d1 kids on it. One of whom RU played just last year.

I think your take is absurd but hey, youre entitled to your opinion

Not exactly. Thats different than what others are saying above. For the long term development I guess you could say we are better off without Corey because the kids will get more time. However we would absolutely be a bubble team with Corey. Corey was not a me first player at all. He would have been a true pg on this team. Plus he is an above average defender. To say this team is better off for this season without him is just dumb, sorry. Wait till we play better teams.

So many good things from yesterday. Shack has a good summary.

The 2 guys who really stood out to me (in terms of showing me something I didnt expect) were Johnson (holy shit) and Harper.

Harper is going to be a star here. Not saying this year...but wow is he dripping with potential. And his length allows him to make up for so many shortcomings on fundamentals. When he gets that cleaned up...he is going to be scary good.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had this much hope and excitement for a Rutgers team. I know it's just one game...but holy crap.

Buddy, I played more competitive basketball this summer alone than youve played in your life. My summer league (ncaa certified) team had two d1 kids on it. One of whom RU played just last year.

Yep, that's right, it is, my opinion. As it states on my post. As far as that "(ncaa certified)" crap, which is obviously very impressive to you, is nothing more than a guy saying, look at me. Especially, when you don't know a thing about me. My statement was generally speaking, yours was specific. That also tells me about you.

There's only so many shot attempts per game and having Corey would mean another 12 to 14 shots taken and most of those would be 2 pointers.

If you subtract 12 to 14 shots over 30-32 games that's over 400 shots that don't get taken by Kiss, Mathis, Baker, Thiam, Eugene and Harper.

Hoops and kyk are right about the team being better overall because the security blanket is Corey. The offense however frees up 400 other shot attempts and we shot 20 3s....even if we only shot 8 out of 20, that i can live with.

I don't see any scenario where the sum of it's parts aren't better 50 games from today because those shots get spread out. If you asked me would i love Sanders on Friday night when we host St Johns....100% yes....

But I'm fairly confident that the team will just be better offensively and defense will be spotty at times. I won't venture to guess on how many of those 400 shots are actual 3 point attempts but if half of those 400 shots are 3s, that's 200 more attempts than last year.

If you shoot and make only 30% from 3 on those extra 200 attempts, that's another 180 points spread out over 30 games (some games will be feast, some will be famine).....but that gets you from 59 to 60 PPG up to 66PPG instantly.

If you raise the make percentage to 37% (7 out of 19 per game) that's an extra 222 points or so over 30 games....now you're at 67 to 68 points per game.

Strictly from a numbers perspective, shooting and moving the ball to find potential 3s, outweighs the lock down defense in the long run, especially when we hit the road and the defense may not be as strong.

It all comes down to what fans want....for 1 season, Sanders all day....for the eventual true jump as a program, it means taking your lumps on the roller coaster this year, so 2099-20 looks like a jump forward for good.

Last edited:
There's only so many shot attempts per game and having Corey would mean another 12 to 14 shots taken and most of those would be 2 pointers.

If you subtract 12 to 14 shots over 30-32 games that's over 400 shots that don't get taken by Kiss, Mathis, Baker, Thiam, Eugene and Harper.

Hoops and kyk are right about the team being better overall because the security blanket is Corey. The offense however frees up 400 other shot attempts and we shot 20 3s....even if we only shot 8 out of 20, that i can live with.

I don't see any scenario where the sum of it's parts aren't better 50 games from today because those shots get spread out. If you asked me would i love Sanders on Friday night when we host St Johns....100% yes....

But I'm fairly confident that the team will just be better offensively and defense will be spotty at times. I won't venture to guess on how many of those 400 shots are actual 3 point attempts but if half of those 400 shots are 3s, that's 200 more attempts than last year.

If you shoot and make only 30% from 3 on those extra 200 attempts, that's another 180 points spread out over 30 games (some games will be feast, some will be famine).....but that gets you from 59 to 60 PPG up to 66PPG instantly.

If you raise the make percentage to 37% (7 out of 19 per game) that's an extra 222 points or so over 30 games....now you're at 67 to 68 points per game.

Strictly from a numbers perspective, shooting and moving the ball to find potential 3s, outweighs the lock down defense in the long run, especially when we hit the road and the defense may not be as strong.

It all comes down to what fans want....for 1 season, Sanders all day....for the eventual true jump as a program, it means taking your lumps on the roller coaster this year, so 2099-20 looks like a jump forward for good.
Are you taking a page out of the Ash playbook? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep, that's right, it is, my opinion. As it states on my post. As far as that "(ncaa certified)" crap, which is obviously very impressive to you, is nothing more than a guy saying, look at me. Especially, when you don't know a thing about me. My statement was generally speaking, yours was specific. That also tells me about you.
Yeah only mentioned that because you were psoting essentially saying I’ve never played basketball

This is flawed because it assumes that corey would make zero shots.

The 2 guys who really stood out to me (in terms of showing me something I didnt expect) were Johnson (holy shit) and Harper.

Harper is going to be a star here. Not saying this year...but wow is he dripping with potential. And his length allows him to make up for so many shortcomings on fundamentals. When he gets that cleaned up...he is going to be scary good.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had this much hope and excitement for a Rutgers team. I know it's just one game...but holy crap.

Harper was way more athletic and coordinated than I expected. He can be a good one.

I don’t think this team is better without Sanders this year record wise.

Not having Sanders this year is gonna help some of these kids grow faster and will pay dividends next year and beyond.

Frame this - agree 110% that we'd be better this year with Sanders (duh), but that without Sanders the other players will likely get better faster, since they won't have him to rely on, and team chemistry could likely improve faster, which should pay dividends by later this year and certainly next year.

Reactions: S_Janowski

Yep, Johnson and Harper were way better than I expected and have the potential to be strong contributors this year and stars down the road. Kiss was also better than I expected - what a sweet shot! And Mathis was inconsistent, but you can see he's going to be a good one, also. The future is bright, especially with improved play by EO, Thiam and Doorson.

Reactions: BillyC80

You can throw the stats aside.

If we had Corey this year he would have weapons (shooters) that he never had here. We would be better defensively, would have more experience on the roster and would see less “freshman” mistakes because we wouldn’t have to play Mathis and McConnel as much.

With no Corey, our perimeter defense will struggle at times and some of our freshman are going to have to put in minutes. They will struggle at times and be streaky.

So overall, we probably see less wins this year than if we had Corey but next year we should see a ton of growth in the freshman since they put the minutes and gained the experience this year.

Not exactly. Thats different than what others are saying above. For the long term development I guess you could say we are better off without Corey because the kids will get more time. However we would absolutely be a bubble team with Corey. Corey was not a me first player at all. He would have been a true pg on this team. Plus he is an above average defender. To say this team is better off for this season without him is just dumb, sorry. Wait till we play better teams.

We will absolutely miss his perimeter defense. He chased a lot of fast PG's on the perimeter and all around the court. I love Geo, but, he is not chasing a Carsen Edwards type like Sanders could.....And, I agree, Sanders was not a selfish me first player. He passed the ball, the other dudes just could not make shots.

The Big 10 is not a league of tall PG's...they are small and fast.

Last edited:
Have you been reading the comments the players have been making all off-season about the team unity and cohesion and better style of ball they are all have bought into?

How about the comments on how this is geo and Eugene’s team and how Eugene calls for informal practices and the team shows up? They are all on the same page....a focused, team oriented page. They are all serious about basketball. Corey was distracted with his music career he cares about.

Even last year he had to sit out portions of games for disciplinary reasons. He was not a pike player. Why have him around any longer to delay the proper progression that this team needs? Because of defense? You think this coaching staff is not gonna have these guys playing defense at a high team level soon?

Some of you guys don’t understand intangibles that players bring to a team. I’m not saying Corey was a bad guy or bad teammate, but all of the comments we have read from not just the coaches but also the players (in cryptic bit clear messages to be respectful to Corey) indicate they feel they are better off without him

It’s not Corey I wish were on the team this year, it’s Jacob young.

It’s not Corey I’d like to have on the team right now, it’s Jacob Young.
Man some of you guys dont realize how good of a college player corey was. Youre asking for jacob young over corey? The disrespect man. Jacob Young is a decent player but hes not on coreys level. Jacob young isnt really even a pg, he’s more of a 2

Man some of you guys dont realize how good of a college player corey was. Youre asking for jacob young over corey? The disrespect man. Jacob Young is a decent player but hes not on coreys level. Jacob young isnt really even a pg, he’s more of a 2

Corey wasn't a true PG either...

Reactions: zebnatto
Correct, kcg. Don't want to talk Corey down, but he did not make even All Conference Honorable Mention nor All Defense.It just was not in his game to distribute.

Correct, kcg. Don't want to talk Corey down, but he did not make even All Conference Honorable Mention nor All Defense.It just was not in his game to distribute.
Which was a joke and every one of our writers said as much

Reactions: RutgHoops
We’ll never know because he was surrounded by piss poor talent. Corey tried to get other involved but when they kept failing he had no choice but to take over.

His handle was top notch, very very very much a PG handle. And dont give me the crap about him being right hand dominant

We’ll never know because he was surrounded by piss poor talent. Corey tried to get other involved but when they kept failing he had no choice but to take over.

His handle was top notch, very very very much a PG handle. And dont give me the crap about him being right hand dominant

Corey never made the sort of no-look pass that Geo did last night. He had a good handle but his court vision and instinct were lacking IMO. Obviously better talent around him would've helped but I never saw skills that indicated he would be a great distributor. Let alone what three years of developing a score-first mentality has done for him.

Guys

Corey was a very good player and we would have helped this program this year

Having said that...as much as I liked Corey ...Corey (and Deshawn also) we’re not the type of players that I think fit with the rest of the new players

Corey and Deshawn never moved off the ball great and off of other screens...the were ball screen payers

It’s a new era and new pieces and while Corey talent is always wanted...I think his skills for a half court offense are not an exact match with the other new pieces and,
What pike really wants to run on offfnse

The way you converse with people completely sucks. If I googled “arrogant piece of $&/@“, would your pic be there? Seriously dude, can you tone your act down? It is embarrassing.

Your post is analysis paralysis. Did you watch how well our team played?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT