ADVERTISEMENT

Football Raiqwon O'Neal enters transfer portal

Well, there's a big hit to the Wide Receiver room.

200.gif

We are upgrading the OL from a team that was 5-8. I expect a lot of these types of guys to enter the portal.

Reactions: KevH
This is the name of the game in college sports. Tell me the schools at D/1 who have not lost staters to the portal. I liked the guy however he came in what year? Good Luck Son.

Obviously this is a reaction to bringing in the four lineman. Didn’t want to compete.
The way our line has been is if such a loss though? He was benched and he wasn’t a guaranteed starter.
Direnzo- LT (lock)
Tyler - LG (virtual lock)
? - C
RG- Sutton, Minnesota transfer, Rainey (if he makes strides)
RT- Pierce (virtual lock)
Would I want him to stay and compete? Of course. But he wants the bird and the hand

I don’t think anyone should be shocked by this, I would anticipate a significant number of OLs to transfer out. They aren’t going to carry close to 30 OLs on scholarship. Also, for those who weren’t recruited by this staff, the fact that they just signed 7 freshmen OLs and brought in 4 transfers indicates what the current staff thinks of the current OL position group.

I don’t think anyone should be shocked by this, I would anticipate a significant number of OLs to transfer out. They aren’t going to carry close to 30 OLs on scholarship. Also, for those who weren’t recruited by this staff, the fact that they just signed 7 freshmen OLs and brought in 4 transfers indicates what the current staff thinks of the current OL position group.
Yeah, but I didn't think it would start with O'Neal.

Last edited:
How so? A 5th year senior starter moves on and you claim not great. Pretend he got injured in summer camp. In today’s college football world many on here we’re all for this and NIL deals.
He's a grad transfer?

2020(3-6) 340 Rushes, Avg 3.0, Sacks Allowed 21
2021(5-8) 342 Rushes, Avg 3.6, Sack Allowed 22

Yes, Raiqwon O'Neal is a loss, but we need better than what we've seen the last 2 years, there was no to little improvement same players.

Because he was our best offensive lineman
He may have been our best or second best but for a 3/4 year starter he wasn't great.

Those who think Sutton will be a starter. I have never seen anything from him that says he will be a good OL in his 4 years here. Our OL was horrible, Pierce and the freshmen center have good potential as does Rainey. Brown just moved to OL so he may also turn out to be an adequate OL.

If you assume players are ascending to a more prestigious and high-profile program with more generous NIL, I guess the staff has to scour the roster of MAC (and lesser league) programs for players. All this stuff is not fan-friendly. Revolving door rosters.

He may have been our best or second best but for a 3/4 year starter he wasn't great.

Those who think Sutton will be a starter. I have never seen anything from him that says he will be a good OL in his 4 years here. Our OL was horrible, Pierce and the freshmen center have good potential as does Rainey. Brown just moved to OL so he may also turn out to be an adequate OL.
Brown will go back to DL

This sucks.
When our best position players start to leave there is something wrong.

There's nothing "wrong". There are simply many, many factors at play here, most of which we don't even know about.

Obviously the unit was a concern. Hell, as a unit they've been quite awful. We know Schiano went out and got... what? 11? offensive linemen. Clearly Great Change is afoot.

The transfer portal has completely blown up the preexisting paradigm regarding how you recruit and accrue talent. All of these players are purely transactional. They're assets. CFB has become more like MLB. I expect to see situations where kids at powerhouse schools who wouldn't see much playing time are "farmed out" for a year to a lesser program so they can get experience, then "called up" after a year.

You watch. It'll happen.

Because he was our best offensive lineman

This is what many RU fans are missing right now. He was unquestionably our best OL, and an All-Big 10 honorable mention for LT both by the league and PFF. Our line may have stunk, but O’Neal did not.

Crushing transfer, any way you look at it.

DiRenzo still may be an upgrade, but O’Neal would have competed for the spot, and if not, would have started on the line somewhere

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT