ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Bryant

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
Holy lord, our offense is awful. This team cannot shoot, period. Especially when GG has an off night. 19-61 from the field (31%) and 4-22 from deep (18%). We’re not going to beat many teams unless guys make sudden improvements.

This game changed when Pike put JMike on #24 Pinzon and kept Simpson at PG. JMike did a good job slowing down Pinzon.

Hyatt was MVP today, with a solid overall game, but I didn’t like his decisions down the stretch. Two bad threes and an ill advised drive that ended up in a TO. But we don’t win without his overall contributions, including timely buckets, FTs, and good defense.

Cliff finally woke up from his off season slumber with a double double (most of which was in the second half).

Simpson didn’t have a good shooting day, but he did a good job running the team in the final 10 minutes, and he was money at the FT line. Finished with 12 points and 4 assists.

Fernandes hit that first three but then basically disappeared for the rest of the game. He has been a complete non-factor for two straight games. We’re not going to get better unless he wakes up.

JMike played good defense but damn he just can’t shoot or finish. But with his defense and toughness, he’s contributing more than Fernandes.

Gavin had a rough day, shooting just 2-11 (1-8). But he played solid defense and didn’t lose his confidence in contributing in other ways.

Three game sample size now — still not a lot — but the poor shooting is growing more and more concerning. I hate to put so much on a freshman, but if GG doesn’t find his shooting touch, this team is in deep trouble. Hyatt is too streaky, and Fernandes hasn’t shown anything yet, so we NEED Gavin to get better and FAST.

Yea I mean I will take the win against a solid mid major, but we need a lot more out of some of these guys or its going to get super super frustrating when the schedule warms up.

Holy lord, our offense is awful. This team cannot shoot, period. Especially when GG has an off night. 19-61 from the field (31%) and 4-22 from deep (18%). We’re not going to beat many teams unless guys make sudden improvements.

This game changed when Pike put JMike on #24 Pinzon and kept Simpson at PG. JMike did a good job slowing down Pinzon.

Hyatt was MVP today, with a solid overall game, but I didn’t like his decisions down the stretch. Two bad threes and an ill advised drive that ended up in a TO. But we don’t win without his overall contributions, including timely buckets, FTs, and good defense.

Cliff finally woke up from his off season slumber with a double double (most of which was in the second half).

Simpson didn’t have a good shooting day, but he did a good job running the team in the final 10 minutes, and he was money at the FT line. Finished with 12 points and 4 assists.

Fernandes hit that first three but then basically disappeared for the rest of the game. He has been a complete non-factor for two straight games. We’re not going to get better unless he wakes up.

JMike played good defense but damn he just can’t shoot or finish. But with his defense and toughness, he’s contributing more than Fernandes.

Gavin had a rough day, shooting just 2-11 (1-8). But he played solid defense and didn’t lose his confidence in contributing in other ways.

Three game sample size now — still not a lot — but the poor shooting is growing more and more concerning. I hate to put so much on a freshman, but if GG doesn’t find his shooting touch, this team is in deep trouble. Hyatt is too streaky, and Fernandes hasn’t shown anything yet, so we NEED Gavin to get better and FAST.

Agree that the lack of production from Noah is going to be a massive issue if it doesn’t get turned around.

Reactions: MadRU
Did Pike actually believe that it was a good idea to play PM more off the ball with the addition of Fernandez? - good thing Souf Mensah wasn't available. Say what you want about Paul, but up until JD this year, he's been Pike's only true PG.

Agree that the lack of production from Noah is going to be a massive issue if it doesn’t get turned around.
Exactly, we need him to be the floor general. Some points, some assists, low turnovers. Getting good shots for his teammates.

Its difficult to understand Rutgers guards missing so many layups .This weakness along with poor 3 point shooting will clearly result in losses against BIG Ten competition.Griffiths and Hyatt must have consistent outside shooting because Cliff will be double teamed around the basket.

Either Noah can play or he can’t.
He will get absolutely destroyed defensively in the BIG and his offense and leadership is non existent.
He shouldn’t even be playing, he’s not a B1G level guard.
Take him out of the rotation and end his roll in the search for combinations

He will get absolutely destroyed defensively in the BIG and his offense and leadership is non existent.
All three of our supposed lead guards have been mostly terrible. Simpson was very good at the line today but none of them are making shots from the field.

Reactions: Eagleton96

It was 31.1%, not 31%! And 18.2% Significant figures matter!!!

Reactions: Degaz-RU
@NewJerseyHawk told us we wouldn't miss Cam Spencer and Pike wanted him gone. He told us our offense was vastly improved and deeper.

lol
Just like we wouldt miss Mag last year 😂

I think JMike and Simpson should be playing more together at guard with more minutes. fernandes just not good and Williams can spell them and be a contributor here and there

Reactions: S_Janowski
I fully believe we will play much better as the year rolls on, and a lot of the things people think are problems will get resolved. What I don’t understand is why we start the season looking like we are not ready to play and put ourselves in a hole that will take the rest of the season to climb out of and at best make us a bubble team again. We got the extra practice time with the foreign trip, and we seem to have gotten no benefit out of it.

Its difficult to understand Rutgers guards missing so many layups .This weakness along with poor 3 point shooting will clearly result in losses against BIG Ten competition.Griffiths and Hyatt must have consistent outside shooting because Cliff will be double teamed around the basket.
Rutgers point guards putting their heads down driving to the basket not noticing the open people around them. If simpson and davis cant finish against bryant what happens in B1G

Hey at least we aren’t 1 and 2 like Maryland. I’m sure they want their coach fired on their boards.

Many just assumed the offense would improve. RU lost their senior PG, best shooter and best defender who started a lot of fast breaks off steals. This team has plenty of time to improve but they are no where near as good as last years team. I’m not surprised given I thought this team would start slow due to all the change and loss of senior leaders.

Take him out of the rotation and end his roll in the search for combinations
What are you talking about? Austin Williams and Simpson have been worse

Random thoughts from up in the 300s after 3 games..

Noah does absolutely nothing. Really disappointed. That said it would be nice if our PA guy could pronounce his name properly

Cliff's free throw form/shot looks significantly improved to me

Encouraged by Davis...his shot and especially free throws need to improve but he at least brings "something". Will chalk the free throws shooting up to freshman nerves for now..

We really need Mag back. I was hoping he'd play a few minutes today and be back to help in a bigger capacity against Georgetown.

Reactions: SoCal_Knight
Actually …the last 10 minute of the game when Derek was at the one was the most cohesive offensive basketball we played this season …..
Bingo!!! Right now if you watch the guards no one is sure who should be the alpha out there. With Moah and Simpson on the floor it is like hot
Potato.
At least at the end of the game Simpson knew he needed to be the guy. That’s how it needs to be

Reactions: brucelaw8
I am nowhere near as concerned as many here are in this thread. What did people expect with so much change in the offseason? Pike’s best team ever a couple of years ago lost this type of game. This team will get better with different guys stepping up on different nights. E.g - we got nothing from Cliff and Derek on Friday, but today they had a huge role in grinding out the win. And does anyone really think GG will go 1-9 every night? Patience.

I am nowhere near as concerned as many here are in this thread. What did people expect with so much change in the offseason? Pike’s best team ever a couple of years ago lost this type of game. This team will get better with different guys stepping up on different nights. E.g - we got nothing from Cliff and Derek on Friday, but today they had a huge role in grinding out the win. And does anyone really think GG will go 1-9 every night? Patience.
Me either. Scoring off the bench, driving to the basket, drawing fouls. We haven’t had this in the past.

Reactions: RUPete
Three games down, and these guys look like they've never played together. There's no spark, no leader. Something must be behind this that we just dont know about. Painful to watch. Reminds me of the start 2 years ago. But I'm not sure these guys have the chemistry to turn this thing around.

Three games down, and these guys look like they've never played together. There's no spark, no leader. Something must be behind this that we just dont know about. Painful to watch. Reminds me of the start 2 years ago. But I'm not sure these guys have the chemistry to turn this thing around.
Not sure what your watching. There is grit and toughness and no pouting feeling sorry for themselves like there was in the past.

With all due respect, I do not see that at all with this team after attending the past two games. I didn’t see much of Princeton to be fair.

Our guards can’t or won’t attempt to beat the man in front of them, then drive the lane, and then dump off to a big, or throw out to a wing, or make a layup or floater. Given our guards are far from deadly from beyond the arc, their inability or unwillingness to drive the ball into the paint will continue to stifle our offense.

Rutgers point guards putting their heads down driving to the basket not noticing the open people around them. If simpson and davis cant finish against bryant what happens in B1G
5'10, 6'0, 6'2 guards are not going to be continually successful driving to the basket for layups. They need to learn to either pull up for a short jumper or draw & pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT