ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Wake Forest

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. We are a bad offensive team, period. Nobody can hit shots with any consistency, and it led to two huge droughts of 18-3 to start the game and 18-0 starting from the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half. Combined 36-3 in those two droughts. This is an historically bad offense.

2. Cliff is a black hole on offense, and he got eaten for lunch by a guy playing his first game of the season.

3. We got badly outrebounded again, this time by a mediocre rebounding team.

4. Gavin looks completely lost on both ends of the floor. He’s so tentative on offense that he just can’t function and can’t shoot. We were going to be relying on him to score 10-13 ppg in order to have a successful season. At this point, we will be lucky to get 5 ppg.

5. This game was a carbon copy of the Illinois game, and I suspect we’re going to see this pattern play out several more times. We are clearly a bottom 4 team in the Big Ten.

6. Mawot, Mawot, Where Art Thou? We sorely need his defense, rebounding, and toughness.

7. Good first half by Hyatt. Invisible in the 2nd half.

8. Oskar hits his first two 3s, but then doesn’t take another one until the game is far out of reach?

9. Yes, the refs called a bad game, but we didn’t lose because of the refs. We just plain stunk tonight.

1. We are a bad offensive team, period. Nobody can hit shots with any consistency, and it led to two huge droughts of 18-3 to start the game and 18-0 starting from the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half. Combined 36-3 in those two droughts. This is an historically bad offense.

2. Cliff is a black hole on offense, and he got eaten for lunch by a guy playing his first game of the season.

4. Gavin looks completely lost on both ends of the floor. He’s so tentative on offense that he just can’t function and can’t shoot. We were going to be relying on him to score 10-13 ppg in order to have a successful season. At this point, we will be lucky to get 5 ppg.

5. This game was a carbon copy of the Illinois game, and I suspect we’re going to see this pattern play out several more times. We are clearly a bottom 4 team in the Big Ten.

6. Mawot, Mawot, Where Art Thou? We sorely need his defense, rebounding, and toughness.

8. Oskar hits his first two 3s, but then doesn’t take another one until the game is far out of reach?

9. Yes, the refs called a bad game, but we didn’t lose because of the refs. We just plain stunk tonight.
Agree on all points.

As for 9, the poor officiating just made everything so much more frustrating to watch.

When you don’t get offensive rebounds and let other team get them and they get second chance points it’s a recipe for disaster. The margin of victory was close to wakes second chance points.

Reactions: LukeRU90
I just want to say, what the f was with the preseason hype with this team?
I don’t get it.
I’m sorry, but I’m not having it.
Too many bball guys here talking about how we were gonna be better.
y’all laughed at the preseason predictions of us finishing 10th in the B1G

Lets face it, Cliff sucks!

Reactions: zebnatto
Worst effort in a number of years.
No rebounding at all.
Easy in bounds plays inexcusable.
Cliff showed no heart.
Worry destroying Gavin’s confidence.
Refs ridiculously bad.
No more nice guy Pike, every year we get the short end of the stick officiating.
Hyatt had moments, Oskar had moments after two years Chol finally contributed.
Can JMike, a guard, hit two free throws in a row?
Bad game for Williams.
Woolfolk wasn’t bad but really thought he would be a rebounder.
Tough loss to swallow.

Reactions: Kbee3 and biazza38
Just a comment about the officiating, you know people say its bad but it didn’t cause the loss but I don’t think that is true because if you let them get away with a couple of fouls and then they run and you get fouls called against you and it deflates one side because you feel like you’re not getting a fair game and it pumps up another side because they think hey we’re awesome at defense and offense and here’s the ref providing that evidence.

And so in sum, a couple of bad calls can equal 20 point losses.

Baby soft defense with no rebounding.
Doesn’t allow for a comeback
We used to be the team that bullied. Other teams complained because we beat them up. Total 360 in team toughness. Now our guys are whining to the refs about being contacted or pushed. We have no edge or chip. Couple the flat personality of this team with a lack of fundamentals like boxing and crashing and stepping to the ball…you end up double soft. This isn’t a pikiel team.

Just a comment about the officiating, you know people say its bad but it didn’t cause the loss but I don’t think that is true because if you let them get away with a couple of fouls and then they run and you get fouls called against you and it deflates one side because you feel like you’re not getting a fair game and it pumps up another side because they think hey we’re awesome at defense and offense and here’s the ref providing that evidence.

We are not mentally tough…and not physically tough either. It always feels like the refs are flubbing up, you can’t curl up in a ball. We are curlers.

Cliff has had a horrendous season. Now maybe posters will appreciate what Paul did for him. He created half of his offense with lobs and pick and roll. We don’t have a capable guard to do that. Simpson is getting a huge pass to start the year. after a good closing stretch last year, he’s been just as disappointing as Cliff.

18 fouls to 9. Didn’t watch the game but seems like an odd stat.

Refs generally weren't calling fouls that weren't on shots in the paint, despite the game being played closer to a rugby match than a basketball game. A ton of contact was let go away from the basket and on rebounds - and we kept settling for pull up jumpers, even after penetration.

When we got into the paint and put up shots, we were rewarded with a whistle much more often - but we were mostly out-toughed in a "no blood no foul" officiating-style game.

pre-season pundits were right. We will be a whipping boy in the Big this year.
At best, we are a mid-major team.
As for Pike's comments about really liking this team. what else can he say?
In the immortal words of the Brooklyn Dodgers fans, "Wait till next year"

I just want to say, what the f was with the preseason hype with this team?
I don’t get it.
I’m sorry, but I’m not having it.
Too many bball guys here talking about how we were gonna be better.
y’all laughed at the preseason predictions of us finishing 10th in the B1G
To be fair some were able to see the team practice with Jeremiah playing, and that along with expecting Mag back by now skewed the projections a bit.

Its unbelievable to watch two scoring droughts where the difference in scoring is 36- 3 favoring Wake Forest. A squad full of complementary players are being exposed for the lack of shooting skills, rebound positioning and the inability to run a half court offense.The onus is on the coaching staff to change what is happening.

Cliff has had a horrendous season. Now maybe posters will appreciate what Paul did for him. He created half of his offense with lobs and pick and roll. We don’t have a capable guard to do that. Simpson is getting a huge pass to start the year. after a good closing stretch last year, he’s been just as disappointing as Cliff.
When our guards get into the paint you can be certain a shot is going up in about 0.3 seconds. Absolutely no pump fakes, hard stops, taking the time to examine the defense, etc.

Reactions: goru7
Oskar lead the team in rebounds and hit a couple big 3's. Turned down a few he needs to take. He understands defensive concepts and rotations at least even though he's not physically the best defender

Hyatt hit a few big 3's and had a strong first half. MIA and some classic forces second half

Cliff is lost without Paul. Noah never sees him on rolls or when he has position

All the guards stunk. All of them. Check the boxscore. It's brutal. Noah also 5 TOs.

Gavin has zero confidence. He's thinking too much. Pike needs to figure out how to build him up

ANOTHER SLOW START. Make it stop please

Rebounding is the worst we have seen in the Pike era

Maybe try Chol? Go to some bigger lineups? Small guards aren't working. Maybe go back to trying bigger lineups? Desperate times...

Lots of soul searching needed in our locker room if there is to be a turnaround this season.

Basically none of things we needed to happen this year happening.

1) Noah high impact transfer - nope
2) Gavin high impact freshman - nope
3) Simpson takes a step up - nope
4) Wolf takes a step up - nope
5) Cliff at a min matches last year - nope
6) Mag returns - nope

Just really nothing going right

To be fair some were able to see the team practice with Jeremiah playing, and that along with expecting Mag back by now skewed the projections a bit.
That’s weird because Jeremiah wasn’t gonna play to begin with. I’m confused

Reactions: bac2therac
Basically none of things we needed to happen this year happening.

1) Noah high impact transfer - nope
2) Gavin high impact freshman - nope
3) Simpson takes a step up - nope
4) Wolf takes a step up - nope
5) Cliff at a min matches last year - nope
6) Mag returns - nope

Just really nothing going right
Simpson has actually regressed since last year.

That’s weird because Jeremiah wasn’t gonna play to begin with. I’m confused
I’m saying they watched him practice and as a result the team as a whole looked better. That’s why I say it skewed the projections, along with believing Mag would be playing by now.

I’m saying they watched him practice and as a result the team as a whole looked better. That’s why I say it skewed the projections, along with believing Mag would be playing by now.
Still pretty dumb to not take that into consideration. We also received bum information about Mag.

Can def see Mag red shirting, and then transferring, since there were rumbles of that in off season to begin with, NO knowledge, just a hunch

Reactions: Rutgers25
We used to be the team that bullied. Other teams complained because we beat them up. Total 360 in team toughness. Now our guys are whining to the refs about being contacted or pushed. We have no edge or chip. Couple the flat personality of this team with a lack of fundamentals like boxing and crashing and stepping to the ball…you end up double soft. This isn’t a pikiel team.

Honestly I don’t get this part.
The dip in recruiting in the past couple years has been mentioned. But has anyone ever thought Pike strayed away from “Pike” blue collar / get it done guys?

There are a couple that show it/flashes.
But this is the weird part to me. I thought the reputation was to recruit with that mentality…star rating aside.

Certainly will make the team more tentative on defense and frustrated on offense. Both big WF runs were fueled by completely imbalanced officiating.

Next year, next year, next year? People are already writing this year off. But who is to say that next year will be significantly better if the supporting cast around Ace and Dylan does not improve? These two stellar players cannot be expected to carry the whole team by themselves. Pike's lack of offense, poor recruiting over the past few years until now, all may contribute to the dearth of talent and skill that may limit success even next year. Ace and Dylan are great additions, but they are not miracle workers. The other players have to improve for the team to improve significantly. Otherwise, next year may be disappointing.

Next year, next year, next year? People are already writing this year off. But who is to say that next year will be significantly better if the supporting cast around Ace and Dylan does not improve? These two stellar players cannot be expected to carry the whole team by themselves. Pike's lack of offense, poor recruiting over the past few years until now, all may contribute to the dearth of talent and skill that may limit success even next year. Ace and Dylan are great additions, but they are not miracle workers. The other players have to improve for the team to improve significantly. Otherwise, next year may be disappointing.
blinking trailer park boys GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT