ADVERTISEMENT

Really guys step off the ledge

RUBigFrank

All Conference
Jun 9, 2003
Tinton Falls NJ
Not sugar coating a bad loss - but

Talk of doing a way with the coach after 14 games is just silly.

If this team plays much like we did against the#6 team in the country a few upsets are possible - maybe a 6-6 record was always out of our grasp.

First year O Coordinator needs to open it up and maybe he will (and seems he did so too late Saturday).

Ash - similar to Schiano is a very detail oriented coach and likewise a mediocre game day coach - which can only improve with experience.

If this team plays much like we did against the#6 team in the country a few upsets are possible - maybe a 6-6 record was always out of our grasp.

First year O Coordinator needs to open it up and maybe he will (and seems he did so too late Saturday).

Ash - similar to Schiano is a very detail oriented coach and likewise a mediocre game day coach - which can only improve with experience.

IMHO there are a LOT of similarities between him and Greg and, after 2 games of year 2, these boards wanted to run Greg out of town (see: BuffaNova).

IMHO there are a LOT of similarities between him and Greg and, after 2 games of year 2, these boards wanted to run Greg out of town (see: BuffaNova).

And if the Big East hadn't undergone the changes it did from 2004-2006, Schiano might not have lasted, either. Circumstances helped Schiano succeed in a way that won't happen for Ash.

AreYouNuts:I think most RU fans realize this was no easy fix going forward... many times before I drank too much koolaid and yes there are many similarities... people wanted to run him off in year two as well... Ash deserves the chance at least through year 3... who knows he may give it up himself...I don't believe we accomplish anything jumping the gun before the end of year 3... I have changed my attitude toward what is really important in life these past months... Coach Kill needs to hopefully comeback ( in the booth)...the young ones need to step up as best they can and the coaches need to work harder on the things which cost us on Saturday... we could have won just as easily but... we didn't...hope to make it to the Ohio State game ... win or lose... We will always love the Scarlet Knights.

So what positives do the last few Ash supporters see that everyone else is missing?
I think you're being grossly unfair to Ash. Every coach needs three years to turn around a team. Moreover, you must have missed the Washington game. I saw a fine Rutgers effort that showed marked improvement in nearly all areas of the team . Rutgers improvement this year will not be a perfectly upward trajectory. There will be ups and downs and EMU was a down game against a very decent MAC team with a very fine QB.

Big East is a whole lot easier to rebuild slowly than in the Big 10....you can get buried by going 3-9. GS was coming into a program that was rock bottom and had never won. Fans here have already tasted a little bit of winning...way different if you ask me

Reactions: noble106 and winRU
I think you're being grossly unfair to Ash. Every coach needs three years to turn around a team. Moreover, you must have missed the Washington game. I saw a fine Rutgers effort that showed marked improvement in nearly all areas of the team . Rutgers improvement this year will not be a perfectly upward trajectory. There will be ups and downs and EMU was a down game against a very decent MAC team with a very fine QB.

What about Maryland?

What about Maryland?
Not an apples to apples comparison, IMO.

MD prior head coach was Edsall, an experienced head coach, success notwithstanding. We had Flood who had never been a head coach. And we lost starting players to arrests and dismissals. Don't know for sure, but don't think MD had that problem.

Also, wasn't MD's money situation a lot better?

Maryland,Purdue..
"There will be ups and downs and EMU was a down game against a very decent MAC team with a very fine QB". ummm..
EASTERN MICHIGAN:
0-58 vrs power five schools..
0-38 last 39 games vrs B10 teams.Untill Rutgers.
They play in the Mac..non power five.
they finished fourth in Mac West..one game above 500.
Stop pretending they were Western Michigan a top 20 school last season.
"ups and downs.".with 11 straight loses..when are the ups?

MD prior head coach was Edsall, an experienced head coach, success notwithstanding. We had Flood who had never been a head coach. And we lost starting players to arrests and dismissals. Don't know for sure, but don't think MD had that problem.

Durkins making 2.5 Ash is making 2.1 Mill.
DJ Durkin has put together top 25 recruiting classes.
Always the Jimmies and Joes combined with coaching talent.

Pretty sure it was at that point,that years later Greg admitted that he said to his wife, I don't think I can turn this thing around,so you really can't fault the fan base for losing faith I guess.

Durkins making 2.5 Ash is making 2.1 Mill.
DJ Durkin has put together top 25 recruiting classes.
Always the Jimmies and Joes combined with coaching talent.
Their assistant money pool was a lot different when they started. People forget this often, Barchi didn't open up the check book much. Ash's assistant pool only got better this year when athletics took out that $10 mil. loan. That's how they were able to raise the pool and get Kill, Erb and pay Blazek. Durkin was able to hire 3 former head coaches right off the bat with a much larger money pool.

Ash might not have shown much besides a better-than-expected recruiting class, and there are things to make you very nervous, but he also deserves a chance to not only do his job but to grow in it.

No, I've seen nothing to make me convinced he WILL succeed, but it's far too early to be convinced that he WON'T.

Hey, it's all I've got.

Reactions: RUfubar
All the improvement visible in the game against Washington. The fact that he's been able to recruit decently despite having 2 wins. By all accounts, he's doing all the things any good coach would do.

Do you actually think that this is a decent recruiting class? I actually think it is very weak. In fact I know it is. Judging recruits isn't as complicated as some make it out to be and most of these guys simply don't now and never will measure up to big ten standards. It's harsh, but it's reality. Two or three of these guys will turn into decent players. The rest are going to get steam rolled by the Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State's of the world.
And cherry picking one game out of the 11 losing streak and saying that it is giving you hope for the future is really desperate.
Spoiler Alert, Ash will be fired either next season or the year after.

There is no evidence he is a good coach or a good recruiter. You have to be at least one of those to have a prayer in this league.

Schiano could recruit his ass off and coach a decent defense. I haven't seen Ash do either one.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
giphy.gif

There is no evidence he is a good coach or a good recruiter. You have to be at least one of those to have a prayer in this league.

Schiano could recruit his ass off and coach a decent defense. I haven't seen Ash do either one.

Schiano average recruiting rank 2002 to 2011:
  • rivals = 46
  • 247 = 43
  • (didn't have 2001 numbers)
Ash recruiting rank 2017:
  • rivals = 43
  • 247 = 42
Ash average recruiting rank 2017 + 2018:
  • rivals = 39.5
  • 247 = 43.5
So yeah, not sure the actual numbers support your claim.

Last edited:
Do you actually think that this is a decent recruiting class? I actually think it is very weak. In fact I know it is. Judging recruits isn't as complicated as some make it out to be and most of these guys simply don't now and never will measure up to big ten standards. It's harsh, but it's reality. Two or three of these guys will turn into decent players. The rest are going to get steam rolled by the Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State's of the world.
And cherry picking one game out of the 11 losing streak and saying that it is giving you hope for the future is really desperate.
Spoiler Alert, Ash will be fired either next season or the year after.
I think, based on the numbers, that Ash's recruiting has been up to Schiano standards. Now, do I think that's good enough to beat OSU, PSU, or Michigan? Nope. But I'm also far from certain any coach we bring in at 3M/year is going to do a whole lot better than Schiano or Ash.

As for Ash being fired at the end of 2018 or 2019, we'll have to see. I don't see the point or value in making a prediction either way. I hope that he does great and gets extended. If not, I hope we spend 7 or 8M and hire one of the top coaches in the country with all our newfound Big Ten payout money.

Well so far this year we're only giving up 19.5 pts a game on defense. In college football only giving up 19.5 pts. usually wins you the game. Defense has not been our problem so far this year.

Reactions: RUsSKii and mildone

Maryland is an appropriate comparison..do you remember the RU-MD game which was Floods last game..two total horrible programs battling it out in a close game for the Big 10 basement, yes they were at the same level

Why are we waiting to pull the trigger. We might lose out on Art Briles or Hugh Freeze.

Maryland is an appropriate comparison..do you remember the RU-MD game which was Floods last game..two total horrible programs battling it out in a close game for the Big 10 basement, yes they were at the same level

I don't think there's any comparison to the lack of talent and bad press flood gave us. The year before we beat Michigan but you wouldn't consider them on the same trajectory.

Well so far this year we're only giving up 19.5 pts a game on defense. In college football only giving up 19.5 pts. usually wins you the game. Defense has not been our problem so far this year.

Good job reading the box scores, but if you watched the EMU game, you may have seen a number of drops which killed their scoring drives. Those drops may have also stopped 1-2 scores. The score really did not give an accurate story of the defensive performance.

Reactions: jax26
I don't think there's any comparison to the lack of talent and bad press flood gave us. The year before we beat Michigan but you wouldn't consider them on the same trajectory.

results on the field showed Maryland and RU were quite similar for the first two years. Are we now having revisionist history on Edsell that he was a solid guy at Maryland. Yes RU may have had it worse because of the off field stuff with Flood but both hires were assistants and its clear that one hit the ground running..the other one was still coaching in a bowl game which in retrospect is totally ridiculous

There is no evidence I am a good fan or a good poster. You have to be at least one of those to have an interest in this forum.
Some time ago in the distant past, Schiano could recruit his ass off and coach a decent defense. I haven't seen Schiano do either one this year.

FIFY.

I too thought a 5-7 season was possible but I think it's not looking good for 2017. Last week was a must win game. If you watch the game you'll see several coaching errors. The defense played well and kept us in the game but aside from that it was a cluster @&&) on the coaches part. All I hear is "if only coach Ash had a roster like .........". We need a coach that can work with the kids we have now. Shoving the power spread down out throats without the proper personnel intact was beyond wrong. You continue to use the Pro-Set and ease your way to the Power Spread. We gave away at least 2 games last year because of this misguided approach. Again, this is on the Institution and trust me Frank it's not changing any time soon. People think that once we become full B10 members we are going to wallow in the fountain of "Wins". Not happening until Rutgers buys into big time football, and that means bringing in experienced coaches and recruiting one dimensional superstars whose ultimate goal is to play on Sunday's.

And if the Big East hadn't undergone the changes it did from 2004-2006, Schiano might not have lasted, either. Circumstances helped Schiano succeed in a way that won't happen for Ash.
Very very true. With Miami, V-Tech and Boston College in conference 2006 would have been a 6-6 season.

results on the field showed Maryland and RU were quite similar for the first two years. Are we now having revisionist history on Edsell that he was a solid guy at Maryland. Yes RU may have had it worse because of the off field stuff with Flood but both hires were assistants and its clear that one hit the ground running..the other one was still coaching in a bowl game which in retrospect is totally ridiculous
In Coach Flood's debut in the B10 he wins 7 games (2014) and destroys UNC in his bowl game.

Not a big woulda, coulda, shoulda guy. But if he didn't have those off the field issues in 2015 he wins another 7 games.

The problem with Flood was he couldn't recruit worth a (@&$). But as of right now I'm not totally sold on Ash's recruiting ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: madchuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT