ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

An interesting interview on Flo with Chris Cannon, Michael DeAugustino, and Lucas Davison discussing why they transferred to Michigan after graduating from Northwestern. A big reason was RTC workout partners and accomplishments of the coaches. The upper weights can train with Adam Coon, Mason Paris, J'den, Cox, and Ben Honis. They are coached by Kevin Jackson, an Olympic Gold Medalist and 2-time World Champion. The lightweights can train with Nathan Tomasello and Jack Medley and are coached by Sergei Beloglazov, a 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist and member of the International Wrestling Hall of Fame, The middle weights can train with Austin Gomez, Matt Finesilver, Alex Pantaleo, and are coached by 3-time All American Josh Churella.

As a side note, Cannon mentioned that his dad got a hole in one at the recent Michigan golf outing.

Unfortunately, the SKWC only has one quality athlete in Sebastian Rivera and Rutgers has only one All American coach. While Rutgers should always be in the top 15, I can't see us as a top 10 team until our coaching staff is upgraded and we get quality training partners at the SKWC. Although NIL was not discussed, it probably helped getting the 3 transfers from Northwestern.

An interesting interview on Flo with Chris Cannon, Michael DeAugustino, and Lucas Davison discussing why they transferred to Michigan after graduating from Northwestern. A big reason was RTC workout partners and accomplishments of the coaches. The upper weights can train with Adam Coon, Mason Paris, J'den, Cox, and Ben Honis. They are coached by Kevin Jackson, an Olympic Gold Medalist and 2-time World Champion. The lightweights can train with Nathan Tomasello and Jack Medley and are coached by Sergei Beloglazov, a 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist and member of the International Wrestling Hall of Fame, The middle weights can train with Austin Gomez, Matt Finesilver, Alex Pantaleo, and are coached by 3-time All American Josh Churella.

As a side note, Cannon mentioned that his dad got a hole in one at the recent Michigan golf outing.

Unfortunately, the SKWC only has one quality athlete in Sebastian Rivera and Rutgers has only one All American coach. While Rutgers should always be in the top 15, I can't see us as a top 10 team until our coaching staff is upgraded and we get quality training partners at the SKWC. Although NIL was not discussed, it probably helped getting the 3 transfers from Northwestern.
They forgot to mention:

Show Me The Money GIF

Reactions: RUAldo
Be honest, if the money was the same, do you think Cannon or any of these kids would have picked Rutgers?
Probably true...but isn't it a bit of a Catch-22 situation? If Rutgers had sufficient funding, where should/would we put the funding - in upgrading the coaching staff and wrestling partners...or should we put it toward NIL and point the $$$$ more directly to the athlete? Rutgers rarely has had enough money to compete bigtime in any sport. Is this problem being illustrated in the wrestling world here? This is what seems so amazingly exceptional about the success the men's basketball program is having. I hope someone can figure it out. NJ loves its wrestling...it would be great to be great at it. GO RU!

Program is in Great shape and we have all 10 weights Ranked in Pre-Season...9 Home Duals that will be electric and packed...Best 285lber from Portal ready to go,,IMO,,,Yaraslau has 2 Years of eligibility and Ranked #6 pre-season ...Can't wait for 23/24 season
Let's Go!

Last edited:
Program is in Great shape and we have all 10 guys Ranked in Pre-Season...9 Home Duals that will be electric and packed...Best 285lber from Portal ready to go,,IMO,,,Yaraslau has 2 Years of eligibility and Ranked #6 pre-season ...Can't wait for 23/24 season
Let's Go!
That would be amazing if we got big Yara for 2 years!

Reactions: Peteras9144

Oh great this conversation again

Comparing Rutgers to Penn State, Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio State is ridiculous. We are not on their level.

Compare us to the rest of the big 10. There will be years where we’re the best team after than group of 4. There will be years we’re in the middle. There will be years like the last couple where we will be towards the bottom.

The current roster on paper puts us in position to be towards the top of that group this year.

Are they recruiting anyone else at who’s #1? I thought I’ve hear Kenny, Knox, and Deluca mentioned as targets. Anyone else?

Flo posted all of Paul Kenny's matches at the 2023 U-17 Worlds -
Pretty crazy Kenny is only about to enter 8th grade.. a middle schooler.. pretty cool Ash was in Kenny’s corner at WNO.. his hair reminds me of a young Ash too.

I predict Kenny’s going to be in the convo of the best to ever to do it in NJ hs when he’s done… can only dream he will be part of RU wrestling one Day but damn that’s still so far away.. lol

Pretty crazy Kenny is only about to enter 8th grade.. a middle schooler.. pretty cool Ash was in Kenny’s corner at WNO.. his hair reminds me of a young Ash too.

I predict Kenny’s going to be in the convo of the best to ever to do it in NJ hs when he’s done… can only dream he will be part of RU wrestling one Day but damn that’s still so far away.. lol
I thought he was about to be a freshman?

Reactions: Leonard23
The Cartagena-Walsh brothers were two good wrestlers for Monmouth before transferring to Ocean. Good kids, hard workers. Didn’t expect to see Shane in a Big 10 room so I’m assuming it’s for depth and practice purposes but good for him.

The Cartagena-Walsh brothers were two good wrestlers for Monmouth before transferring to Ocean. Good kids, hard workers. Didn’t expect to see Shane in a Big 10 room so I’m assuming it’s for depth and practice purposes but good for him.
Shane's a great kid. I know him and the fam a little. In the room the other day, he was working hard, after practice was still looking for guys to go with. Hard worker.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Three class of 2024 recruits listed on Flo's top 100 Big Board.

Connor Harer # 24 - our prize recruit- could be day 1 starter
Alex Nini # 45 - lots of potential - probably needs a redshirt year
Nate Blanchette # 53 - great high school record - question is competition in New England

Things are looking up for the program
Harer is #5 in his weight class, Nini #8, and Blanchette #4. There are still some very good uncommitted Jersey kids out there.

Of the two '23 recruits: Hermes and Packer, are they in the room, and if so, how are they looking?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT