ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Steve Mytych is a big reason why we are recruiting so well in PA right now.
Willie Saylor wrote an article on D1's most underrated recruiters about 2-3 months ago. Here is his last paragraph.

*In closing, let me say that things are ever evolving and it's probably a good bet I failed to mention a couple guys that surely either make an impact or will in the very near future. Take a guy like Rutgers' Steve Mytych. He showed some promise as a recruiter at Binghamton and is off to a great start for the Scarlet Knights. But he's just getting started. And I'm sure if I were to revisit this topic in a year or two he'd be front and center. Another guy I'd put in that category would probably be Maryland's Nick Brascetta. And I'm for sure looking forward to their future success.

Perentin to Cornell. Not a huge surprise.
That's a disappointment. Could be a 3 time state champ. # 2 ranked junior in the country by Flo and # 6 including seniors. Like our strategy of going out of state as the top Jersey kids seem to be going elsewhere. What Jersey kids are in play?

That's a disappointment. Could be a 3 time state champ. # 2 ranked junior in the country by Flo and # 6 including seniors. Like our strategy of going out of state as the top Jersey kids seem to be going elsewhere. What Jersey kids are in play?
How many Delbarton kids have we gotten in the past? It’s pretty much par for the course.

Perentin was never coming here. This is not a loss. We just really need to land some of these more realistic targets. It’s been a while.

Reactions: Leonard23
Who are our realistic targets?
I don’t know. The only one I know of is Chapman. I’m assuming the guys who have come for official visits have some level of legit interest. I know years ago Knox was not looking in our direction but that was a long time ago so doesn’t mean much.

I am very glad to see the out of state recruiting is being made a priority. Not everyone wants to stay home and that tends to be particularly true for the private kids who make up a bigger and bigger portion of the true Big10 level prospects. I’m not sure where Ashnault is in the picture anymore, but it’s been suggested that his absence from the program has also hurt our in state recruiting. I can’t comment on that one way or the other but is unfortunate if true. Get us some hammers, doesn’t matter where they come from.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I’m not sure where Ashnault is in the picture anymore, but it’s been suggested that his absence from the program has also hurt our in state recruiting. I can’t comment on that one way or the other but is unfortunate if true. Get us some hammers, doesn’t matter where they come from.

You may be on to something. There are rumors that there was some sort of a break between Ashnaut and Goodale. While both have been respectful, something is up as Ashnault has not been around the program. He is helping out at Columbia and at CBA for his brother as well as his Mobbin program with young wrestlers.

Totally understand the need to go out of state. But, sure would like to get some NJ hammers.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
You may be on to something. There are rumors that there was some sort of a break between Ashnaut and Goodale. While both have been respectful, something is up as Ashnault has not been around the program. He is helping out at Columbia and at CBA for his brother as well as his Mobbin program with young wrestlers.

Totally understand the need to go out of state. But, sure would like to get some NJ hammers.
Every one of these kids in NJ grew up on ashnault, would be as good a brand ambassador/recruiter as any for the state of NJ.
Hope they have something in the works together.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Who are our realistic targets?
I don't know about realistic but here are some names.

Willie Saylor Class of 2025 Big Board​

4. Anthony Knox
5. William Henckel
6. Leo DeLuca
15. Kollin Rath
19. Jordan Chapman
23. Isaiah Cortez
26. Elijah Cortez
29. Cade Ziola
48. Vincenzo LaValle
49. Anthony Evanitsky
56. Gauge Botero
57. Tahir Parkins
89. Pat O'Keefe

Reactions: KidDagger

4. Anthony Knox
5. William Henckel
6. Leo DeLuca
15. Kollin Rath
19. Jordan Chapman
23. Isaiah Cortez
26. Elijah Cortez
29. Cade Ziola
48. Vincenzo LaValle
49. Anthony Evanitsky
56. Gauge Botero
57. Tahir Parkins
89. Pat O'Keefe
That's a heck of a list.
Have seen a few of those top guys in the room when I went in. Chapman, botero recently here on a trip.

Are the Cortez bros the Cali guys that were here during the northwestern game?
Lavalle is a good name I haven't seen before.

Need to nail a handful of these guys! Good to see we are in on so many of the top 100 and even better to see a bunch here taking their trips and posting about it.

Reactions: mikemessner
Dellagatta from St. Joe's the # 3 ranked junior on Flowrerstling commits to Cornell. He is a heavyweight and # 1 NJ public heavyweight. The # 1 overall Jersey kid is Neves of Blair who is going to Stanford. We can use a junior heavyweight recruit as Yara will graduate in two years.

Dellagatta from St. Joe's the # 3 ranked junior on Flowrerstling commits to Cornell. He is a heavyweight and # 1 NJ public heavyweight. The # 1 overall Jersey kid is Neves of Blair who is going to Stanford. We can use a junior heavyweight recruit as Yara will graduate in two years.
Cornell been doing a good job siphoning all the top talents in NJ lately…must be that Mike Grey connection to Delbarton…

The wrestlers in Cornell Love MIke Grey and he seems to be an amazing coach.
I am sure the success of his wrestlers on the international level helps in the recruitment process.
If I had to pick a coach for RU, He would be my choice (Do to his age). (Of course bring in Kyle Dake as his assistant)

Note: I am very happy with the current coaches.

4. Anthony Knox
5. William Henckel
6. Leo DeLuca
15. Kollin Rath
19. Jordan Chapman
23. Isaiah Cortez
26. Elijah Cortez
29. Cade Ziola
48. Vincenzo LaValle
49. Anthony Evanitsky
56. Gauge Botero
57. Tahir Parkins
89. Pat O'Keefe
Congrats we got one from that list! Now on to the others

Princeton needs legit facilities to compete with Cornell not to mention their athlete academic support system is nonexistent.
He meant that Princeton and Cornell recruit similar kids. While Rutgers may also attempt to recruit at Delbarton, those elite prep school kids often go the Ivy route instead of state colleges.

Aaron Seidel the # 2 junior at 113 by Flo and # 1 by Willie Saylor commits to Va. Tech. He is a two time Pa. champ with a 97-1 career record. He is growing and could be a solid starter when Peterson graduates. We need to start beating Va. Tech out for recruits. Does anyone know if we had him in for a visit?

Last edited:
Aaron Seidel the # 2 junior at 113 commits to Va. Tech. He is a two time Pa. champ with a 97-1 career record. He is growing and could be a solid starter when Peterson graduates. We need to start beating Va. Tech out for recruits. Does anyone know if we had him in for a visit?
I do not think we had him in... Paul Kenny frosh from CBA beat him a few months ago. Seidel #1 seed, Kenny #2 seed at Super 32. Va Tech does a great job in recruiting and agree we need to start beating them out....but I will take Kenny...lol

I do not think we had him in... Paul Kenny frosh from CBA beat him a few months ago. Seidel #1 seed, Kenny #2 seed at Super 32. Va Tech does a great job in recruiting and agree we need to start beating them out....but I will take Kenny...lol
I would also take Kenny. He is entering his freshman and a lot can happen before he enters college. Imagine he will have many suitors and his pick of colleges. At this time, we have the inside track.

Knox is going to be the 5th 4x champ in NJ history and Kenny will be the 6th. Still a long way to go with each of them but we have a chance to get both of them in the same lineup.

Reminder, 3 of the previous 4 all ended up at Rutgers and that doesn’t even include Winston who was an undefeated 3x champ and would have been 4 if not for injuries.

Knox is going to be the 5th 4x champ in NJ history and Kenny will be the 6th. Still a long way to go with each of them but we have a chance to get both of them in the same lineup.

Reminder, 3 of the previous 4 all ended up at Rutgers and that doesn’t even include Winston who was an undefeated 3x champ and would have been 4 if not for injuries.
I hope you are right. For whatever reason, we have not had sustained success with Rutgers legends. Ashnault is the face of NJ wrestling and is no longer with the program. He is at Columbia. Suriano is a gypsy and at ASU, Grey is the head coach at Cornell and the Delbarton wrestling room is named after him, Camp turned his life around at Rutgers and unfortunately stopped wrestling while at RU. Winston had a good career but didn't All American.

We can really use Knox and Kenny.

Kenny may face Delbarton freshman Cameron sontz in the state final this year. Sontz is really good, that’ll be a great match.

Per Pat Mineo

"The Hokies strike again… They are on a roll! This time it’s Collin Gaj, who went 49-0 and won a 145 lb. #PIAA AAA state title as a sophomore last season! He enters his junior campaign sporting a 95-7 career record for Quakertown… Big time addition here!."

Not a bad record for 2 years in high school. Another one for Va. Tech.

Per Pat Mineo

"The Hokies strike again… They are on a roll! This time it’s Collin Gaj, who went 49-0 and won a 145 lb. #PIAA AAA state title as a sophomore last season! He enters his junior campaign sporting a 95-7 career record for Quakertown… Big time addition here!."

Why do you think they're recruiting so well?

Per Pat Mineo

just leaving this here..

Was just about to post this. Harer majored gaj two weeks ago.
And Kenny beat Seidel earlier this year.

Good for vtech but I'm not sure why we are concerned w who they are picking up.

Rutgers is opening up the Lehigh valley pipeline - let's hear about those guys!
I'll ask this question again since it has gone unanswered. Is Ashnault's involvement with Kenny a plus or negative for Rutgers? Has Ashnault been back in the room since leaving? While I didn't see it, I read here that he Tweeted something supporting Richie Lewis' criticism of Rutgers/Goodale. What's up with that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT