ADVERTISEMENT

Refereeing/Fouls

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
Now I know we turned the ball over way too many times gave up way too many open 3 point but from the 15 minute mark of the first half to the 9 1/2 minute mark of the second half Rutgers was called for 17 fouls to 4 fouls for Iowa now don’t tell me there is not something wrong with the reffing with that kind of disparity and yet somehow we still managed to cut the lead to 1 what a joke we got hammered on so many drives and nothing called every time they went up it was a foul

Now I know we turned the ball over way too many times gave up way too many open 3 point but from the 15 minute mark of the first half to the 9 1/2 minute mark of the second half Rutgers was called for 17 fouls to 4 fouls for Iowa now don’t tell me there is not something wrong with the reffing with that kind of disparity and yet somehow we still managed to cut the lead to 1 what a joke we got hammered on so many drives and nothing called every time they went up it was a foul
And it was vs. a team that is an outside shooting team coached by a guy who constantly complained to the refs.
Yeah 34-14

Basketball refereeing in general has really changed inside. It use to be that officials rewarded players who would drive to the basket. Crowds like blocked shots so you give the crowd what they want. They'll call the foul on the guard reaching in to try and strip the ball but once that man goes up you need to virtually commit manslaughter to get a call.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The play that changed it for me was Mag going in for a layup on a transition fast break and gets fouled for what should have been a continuation and 1. They call it on the ground and it’s a 1 and 1 where he missed the front end. Total BS.

The problem is fouls in the second half weren’t called fouled in the first half for some reason. One example is Caleb getting called for two fouls right in a row; second on a baseline out of bounds play where a barely touched murray coming off a screen. Meanwhile in the first half, iowa was grabbing and holding our cutters on in bounds plays including caleb getting grabbed multiple times that lead to a turnover. You can’t change mid game how the game is being called. That’s the issue

We have been on a good run of decent officiating (even with a couple of losses) since the T Pike took.

Yesterday's officiating made the game even harder for us.

Lets just hope it's not the beginning of a several game stretch of getting effed by the zebras, and just a one game hiccup

I would consider that progress for our program!!

Some mathematically minded sports fans did an analysis a few years back (wrote a book I think) that attributed home court advantage in sports entirely, or almost entirely, to refereeing. I seem to remember their data and take on it was well accepted among those who reviewed it.

Was this the same referee crew from the Ohio State game?
One of the referees is the fired Florida town police chief (look up that story).

Was this the same referee crew from the Ohio State game?
One of the referees is the fired Florida town police chief (look up that story).
I don’t there are set crews for basketball games. I thought the disparity and the questionable nature of the fouls called was more noticeable in the second half. Perhaps because of all the other issues we were having in the first half.

I don’t there are set crews for basketball games. I thought the disparity and the questionable nature of the fouls called was more noticeable in the second half. Perhaps because of all the other issues we were having in the first half.
Like I said above the first four fouls were called on Iowa and the final tally of 25-10 in foul calls made it 25 to 6 from the 15 minute mark of the first half so essentially for the last 35 minutes we did not even get enough fouls called against Iowa to get in the bonus and also one of those fouls was a technical.
So despite the 3 point shooting the game was won at the line with Iowa going to the line 34 times to our 14 and making 29 to our 10!!!

The problem is fouls in the second half weren’t called fouled in the first half for some reason. One example is Caleb getting called for two fouls right in a row; second on a baseline out of bounds play where a barely touched murray coming off a screen. Meanwhile in the first half, iowa was grabbing and holding our cutters on in bounds plays including caleb getting grabbed multiple times that lead to a turnover. You can’t change mid game how the game is being called. That’s the issue

Exactly. The issue is usually not the fouls called on RU, but the lack of fouls called on our opponent for the same conduct. That was egregiously on display yesterday in Iowa City.

Like I said above the first four fouls were called on Iowa and the final tally of 25-10 in foul calls made it 25 to 6 from the 15 minute mark of the first half so essentially for the last 35 minutes we did not even get enough fouls called against Iowa to get in the bonus and also one of those fouls was a technical.
So despite the 3 point shooting the game was won at the line with Iowa going to the line 34 times to our 14 and making 29 to our 10!!!
impossible to overcome those variances

The crew Chief of the refs meets with the others before the game and lays out how he wants the game officiated. He could say let them bang or call it tight or whatever he wants. He could have said RU uses their hands alot and goes right thru picks call it tight when that happens. He obviously skewed their calls. You have to see who the lead ref was and what his history is against visitors vs home teams and against Rutgers in particular. If there is a trend in the calls you have a real case for a suspension or a total loss of his ability to work in this league. I am pretty sure that if he has been skewed against Rutgers Pike knows and Hobbs was on the phone after the game to the power that be and an Official protest was launched. Please remember that in every possession there Are several fouls but only one is called. There were a number of questionable calls and non calls in yesterdays game RU got screwed but a coach can not come out and say that Or the refs will screw them for the season. In the playin NCAA game ND went over the back of Harper and it was a no call . The ND player had his right hand up but his left hand was on Harper’s hip Per a friend that was there live

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Life on the road guys. It is what it is.
There are lots of jobs and livelihoods that depend on interest in Hawkeye sports. Home court advantage in officiating is absolutely a thing. I do agree that +19 from the stripe is a bit much.

That said. The Murray kid is a tremendous talent (even without official's help) and they made some big shots @ critical times. If you don't win convincingly on the road, you don't win. Like it or not RU is still the new kids.

I'm not surprised in the least.

You are always complaining about the refs. The fact is that the offense that we run and the fact that our players are offensively challenged dont create a lot of situations to draw fouls. The fact that the refs need to even the fouls out is ridiculous. If its a foul call it, if its not dont.

You are always complaining about the refs. The fact is that the offense that we run and the fact that our players are offensively challenged dont create a lot of situations to draw fouls. The fact that the refs need to even the fouls out is ridiculous. If its a foul call it, if its not dont.

I would add, in defense of Rutgers, that every fan base has a contingent of fans who find fault in refereeing in every loss (although the size of that contingent varies by fan base). You all will probably chuckle that there were Maryland fans (not me, I don't do that) who made identical complaints about the foul disparity in Maryland's loss at the RAC. I doubt that many Rutgers fans were upset about that particular disparity...

Last edited:
I do wonder if it is a coaching strategy by McCaffery against certain teams. He tells guys to be very aggressive first 4 minutes to get official to call the game tighter and he backs off.

First 4 minutes Rutgers 1-Iowa 4
Last 16 minutes Rutgers 7-Iowa 3
First 4 minutes Rutgers 4-Iowa 2
Next 12 minutes Rutgers 8-Iowa 2
Final 4 minutes Rutgers 5-Iowa 3

Coaches can manipulate referees if they know certain officials call the game a certain way based on play. Everyone in life have tendencies whether consciously or not.

Last edited:
Absolutely BS you clearly don't watch the games as I rewatched the game every time they drove to the basket it was a foul!!! Every time we drove almost nothing I mean just look at the beginning of the game Cam got hammered to the ground and nothing; Look at the second foul on Caleb in the 5 seconds on the out of bounds all he did was go around a pick the reffing was just out and out BS; Mawot got hammered a couple of times nothing and then as someone says above he gets fouled in an obvious continuation nothing
Yeah of course you can call fouls on almost every play but to have that disparity and decide a game on that is just BS and this fact that the home team gets the calls is just BS the game should be reffed fairly and IT WAS NOT YESTERDAY
So even despite the difference in the 3 point shots and the many stupid turnovers we had this game was lost because of the foul shooting disparity and yes if we don't commit so many of them we still may have overcome the reffing like we did at Purdue

Reactions: Loyal-Son and Kbee3
I would add, in defense of Rutgers, that every fan base has a contingent of fans who find fault in refereeing in every loss (although the size of that contingent varies by fan base). You all will probably chuckle at most that there were Maryland fans (not me, I don't do that) who made identical complaints about the foul disparity in Maryland's loss at the RAC. I doubt that many Rutgers fans were upset about that particular disparity...
Maryland was playing very physical and got 17 fouls. Rutgers got 25 last night but yes there are some that complain every game. I only complain when it’s true. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT