ADVERTISEMENT

Rest of season

rubjk

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2013
If I was Pike, I’d start the game with press so the team starts with energy.

My starters would be Paul, Cliff, Ron, Mag. Not sure who I’d put in as last starter, but I’m not happy with Geo. Maybe Caleb especially if we start with press. Paul would handle the ball.

Team likes playing down 20, well they are down 8 wins to make the NCAAs at this rate so here comes the comeback

What’s worse … blowing 10 point second half leads like last year, or being down double digits to come up just short?

Baker and McConnell didn't score.Every point counts.in nail biter games.The upper classmen failed to show up.

Reactions: Scangg
RU lost to the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th place teams in the B1G … lost to DePaul, Lafayette and UMASS … and still have a 12-9 record.

On paper those are 7 winnable games.

Think RU will have a few good shooting nights this season. Always thought Paul could score and glad to see him gaining confidence. Maybe he will be a double digit scorer the rest of the way.

make it the Paul and Cliff Show with Ron there as well. Sit Caleb and Geo and have a discussion about how they want to play out the next few weeks.
This is the same Mulcahy that was almost single-handedly responsible for the double-digit halftime deficit at Maryland, right?

The over-the-top reactionary posts here are something else. Mulcahy is capable of great games. He's also capable of throwing up some stinkers. Hell, he had 0 points against Maryland a week ago!

The state of the roster is such that this is what we're going to get the rest of the season. Almost complete unpredictably from one game to the next.

Reactions: Gudenham and Scangg
This is the same Mulcahy that was almost single-handedly responsible for the double-digit halftime deficit at Maryland, right?
The over-the-top reactionary posts here are something else. Mulcahy is capable of great games. He's also capable of throwing up some stinkers. Hell, he had 0 points against Maryland a week ago!

The state of the roster is such that this is what we're going to get the rest of the season. Almost complete unpredictably from one game to the next.
he had 1 bad half. Ron and Geo have had more. Plus he played better in second half.

So true...Insane the overreaction (GOOD and BAD) on this board!!!

My starters would be Paul, Cliff, Ron, Mag. Not sure who I’d put in as last starter, but I’m not happy with Geo. Maybe Caleb especially if we start with press. Paul would handle the ball.
Who would Ron play but not Geo? You do realize Geo has more energy than Ron last night.

Reactions: G- RUnit
make it the Paul and Cliff Show with Ron there as well. Sit Caleb and Geo and have a discussion about how they want to play out the next few weeks.
Watch the 2nd half and only the defensive possessions. You wouldn’t have Geo on the bench and Ron on the floor.

Reactions: Unionst
Play for next season
I’m still all about winning games. However, when players who won’t be here next year aren’t performing or don’t give 100%, they should be pulled immediately. Isn’t that what he’s doing with Jones anyway? I have a feeling, the effort would be there when they are finally held accountable….and if it isn’t…nothing lost anyway. It makes the bench realize more than ever that play time is in their control.

Reactions: socaldave

No need for Caleb to start. He needs to come off the bench and I'd start Mag over Caleb who provides full energy.

Caleb should not play more than 15 MPG.

Caleb did not play for last 23 minutes of game last night and coincidently, we came back from 24 point deficit.

I’m still all about winning games. However, when players who won’t be here next year aren’t performing or don’t give 100%, they should be pulled immediately. Isn’t that what he’s doing with Jones anyway? I have a feeling, the effort would be there when they are finally held accountable….and if it isn’t…nothing lost anyway. It makes the bench realize more than ever that play time is in their control.
Players need to be held accountable is what you're saying.... What a concept and I agree 120%

Caleb was our best player for a 3-4 game stretch earlier in the year. Let’s hope he can get back to playing at that level and be a good teammate to all.

If Baker and Ron score close to 20 each and the team doesn’t come out again with their heads up the ass then we can make it close. Still don’t see us going 5-4 down the stretch.

Watch the 2nd half and only the defensive possessions. You wouldn’t have Geo on the bench and Ron on the floor.
Ron looked okay in the press.

Nobody played well at wing or down low in the halfcourt sets. Geo’s “energy” as you call it was really just about his position not being the one exploited via the NW schemes. We could not figure out their rotations. Caleb was awful and your right - RHJ was awful, and Cliff wasn’t very good on defense either. That combination of 3 had no answer down low to stop the back door cuts which then enabled easy kick outs which NW connected on. Since Caleb wasn’t helping the defense, there was no strong reason to play him - especially seeing his dumb turnovers on the other end. But it wasn’t like Mag had this great game either. Hyatt looked awful. Dean was the best bench player but he won’t start this year because Pike needs him as back up to Cliff.

There’s really not much to talk about in major shake up possibilities. We have no bench. Caleb stunk, so he sat last game for all but 16 minutes. Mag was a little better so he played more - 22 minutes. It doesn’t really matter which of them starts - whoever it is - the other guy is literally our only legit big minute sub option outside of Dean (who really is looking better and better). If there’s anyone to be excited about right now for next year it’s Dean IMO.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Ron looked okay in the press.

Nobody played well at wing or down low in the halfcourt sets. Geo’s “energy” as you call it was really just about his position not being the one exploited via the NW schemes. We could not figure out their rotations. Caleb was awful and your right - RHJ was awful, and Cliff wasn’t very good on defense either. That combination of 3 had no answer down low to stop the back door cuts which then enabled easy kick outs which NW connected on. Since Caleb wasn’t helping the defense, there was no strong reason to play him - especially seeing his dumb turnovers on the other end. But it wasn’t like Mag had this great game either. Hyatt looked awful. Dean was the best bench player but he won’t start this year because Pike needs him as back up to Cliff.

There’s really not much to talk about in major shake up possibilities. We have no bench. Caleb stunk, so he sat last game for all but 16 minutes. Mag was a little better so he played more - 22 minutes. It doesn’t really matter which of them starts - whoever it is - the other guy is literally our only legit big minute sub option outside of Dean (who really is looking better and better). If there’s anyone to be excited about right now for next year it’s Dean IMO.
Pretty much sums things up.

Yes, Sit those two, and give time to those who come back next year. Next year should be a major priority for the rest of the season.

Yes, Sit those two, and give time to those who come back next year. Next year should be a major priority for the rest of the season.
In the world of the portal, you never play for the future as you don’t know whose coming back anyway.

Season’s not over. You have to keep playing with winning games as the one and only goal until we actually have enough losses that we can’t get an at-large bid. Once we cross that point you can consider getting younger players some extra minutes.

Things that I'd like to see happen the rest of the season

1) Fix the offense, need to avg 116.2 next 9 games to get to 110.0 offense
Ken Pom Top 50 offenses 125.5-110.6, Rutgers 190th 101.8

Start with Cliff, Paul and Ron the most consistent offensive players this year, build the offense around them, cut Geo's FGs down and find out in rotations of two who gels with them best. No more droughts. Geo/Caleb should share a position for 40 minutes, if that, It's time to find out what you can build into 22-23, and if post season happens as a result, bonus, maybe they can gel at the right time to make it happen.

Geo & Caleb are oil and water, 2 career 38% FG shooters. Caleb very good defensively, 4 on 5 offensively. Geo can be very good offensively but makes mistakes a 5th year senior should not make defensively more than a few times a game, I said it before the season, during the season and saying it louder now, Geo, Caleb didn't, don't, won't work on the floor together.

--A) Geo offense 21-22, Bad Lehigh, good MW-Depaul, bad Lafayette, missed UMass-Purdue, ok SHU, good Maine-Nebraska, bad PSU, ok @ Md, bad Iowa, good Minnesota/Maryland, Bad Neb/NW, he is who he is. When he's good he can be special, when he's bad he can dig you into deep holes.
--B) Caleb had a good 6 game offensive stretch between UMass through Maine, only bad game @ Illinois, bad 5 games before it, and only 2 good games the last 10 games since. It's no coincidence that his best stretches offensively happen when Geo was out, same thing happen in 2019-20 when Geo went down vs Caldwell, missed 3 games, off the bench for 9, moving Caleb into the starting lineup in Jan 2020 and Rutgers went 7-5 in the B1G.

Which lead to 2)Fix the starting lineup, starting Paul, RHJ, Cliff is a must, the current starting 5 haven't had a good start to a 1st half since Michigan, even Nebraska started down 6-11, won 93-65. Pike has to try new, Caleb the most likely candidate, Mag or Hyatt in. Not sure if it is a complete fix, next candidate Geo out.

3) Fix the rotations/roles, Pike has to settle on 3, situational 4th, off the bench. Mag and Hyatt need to get around 20 minutes each at the expense of the 4 guard/Wing starters, trust them Pike. Reiber/Cliff share 40, Ralph only if both are in foul trouble, and settle on a situational ninth, Miller defense, Palm 3s, Jones offensive spark if you see everyone struggling offensively.

4) Defense has flaws, overall one of its lone positives, a lack of communication and chemistry on the defensive side leading to breakdowns in stretches.
Ken Pom Top 50 defenses 83.9-95.6, Rutgers 48th 95.2

It's no small feat but hopefully fixes start to happen vs MSU.

Things that I'd like to see happen the rest of the season

1) Fix the offense, need to avg 116.2 next 9 games to get to 110.0 offense
Ken Pom Top 50 offenses 125.5-110.6, Rutgers 190th 101.8

Start with Cliff, Paul and Ron the most consistent offensive players this year, build the offense around them, cut Geo's FGs down and find out in rotations of two who gels with them best. No more droughts. Geo/Caleb should share a position for 40 minutes, if that, It's time to find out what you can build into 22-23, and if post season happens as a result, bonus, maybe they can gel at the right time to make it happen.

Geo & Caleb are oil and water, 2 career 38% FG shooters. Caleb very good defensively, 4 on 5 offensively. Geo can be very good offensively but makes mistakes a 5th year senior should not make defensively more than a few times a game, I said it before the season, during the season and saying it louder now, Geo, Caleb didn't, don't, won't work on the floor together.

--A) Geo offense 21-22, Bad Lehigh, good MW-Depaul, bad Lafayette, missed UMass-Purdue, ok SHU, good Maine-Nebraska, bad PSU, ok @ Md, bad Iowa, good Minnesota/Maryland, Bad Neb/NW, he is who he is. When he's good he can be special, when he's bad he can dig you into deep holes.
--B) Caleb had a good 6 game offensive stretch between UMass through Maine, only bad game @ Illinois, bad 5 games before it, and only 2 good games the last 10 games since. It's no coincidence that his best stretches offensively happen when Geo was out, same thing happen in 2019-20 when Geo went down vs Caldwell, missed 3 games, off the bench for 9, moving Caleb into the starting lineup in Jan 2020 and Rutgers went 7-5 in the B1G.

Which lead to 2)Fix the starting lineup, starting Paul, RHJ, Cliff is a must, the current starting 5 haven't had a good start to a 1st half since Michigan, even Nebraska started down 6-11, won 93-65. Pike has to try new, Caleb the most likely candidate, Mag or Hyatt in. Not sure if it is a complete fix, next candidate Geo out.

3) Fix the rotations/roles, Pike has to settle on 3, situational 4th, off the bench. Mag and Hyatt need to get around 20 minutes each at the expense of the 4 guard/Wing starters, trust them Pike. Reiber/Cliff share 40, Ralph only if both are in foul trouble, and settle on a situational ninth, Miller defense, Palm 3s, Jones offensive spark if you see everyone struggling offensively.

4) Defense has flaws, overall one of its lone positives, a lack of communication and chemistry on the defensive side leading to breakdowns in stretches.
Ken Pom Top 50 defenses 83.9-95.6, Rutgers 48th 95.2

It's no small feat but hopefully fixes start to happen vs MSU.
Vs MSU ✅
Vs OSU
@ Wisconsin
Vs Illinois
@ Purdue
@ Michigan
VS Wisconsin
@ Indiana
Vs PSU

Season’s not over. You have to keep playing with winning games as the one and only goal until we actually have enough losses that we can’t get an at-large bid. Once we cross that point you can consider getting younger players some extra minutes.
If we play well the rest of the season it might come down to if we can win one or two in the B1G tournament

Reactions: fluoxetine
I was shocked that Reiber scored 12 points in 10 minutes and actually looked smooth on all his shots. That guy is getting some good coaching because he absolutely was not flashing like that earlier.

I was shocked that Reiber scored 12 points in 10 minutes and actually looked smooth on all his shots. That guy is getting some good coaching because he absolutely was not flashing like that earlier.
All you had to do is see this gangly , mopped headed 6’9” Reiber on his recruiting vids . Even in those he showed a smooth soft touch. Was not a bruiser in high school but today Dean is showing some very good athleticism . The kid is definitely working out and filling out.

Vs MSU ✔ RU 137.2 MSU 97.4
Vs OSU ✔ RU 115.6 OSU 100.1
@ Wisconsin ✔ RU 119.8 Wisconsin 90.7
Vs Illinois
@ Purdue
@ Michigan
VS Wisconsin
@ Indiana
Vs PSU

Vs MSU ✔ RU 137.2 MSU 97.4
Vs OSU ✔ RU 115.6 OSU 100.1
@ Wisconsin ✔ RU 119.8 Wisconsin 90.7