ADVERTISEMENT

Rapid Reaction - Iowa

Degaz-RU

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2002
1. We just don’t have enough offensive talent to compete with a high scoring team like Iowa.

2. Fall behind 19-5 on the road because you go 1 for your first 15, not going to win that game. Can’t fall into a hole like that.

3. I hate Peyton Sandfort. I hate Krikke. And now I hate that Freeman kid. Fran ALWAYS find players that can score. I’m jealous, but the hate is strong.

4. Cliff had 4 shots all game. Guards doing nothing to get him the ball in good position.

5. Starting G Noah with a ZERO. AGAIN.

6. Great game by Mag. Still playing good defense, fighting for rebounds, and now finding his stroke.

7. Time to start Austin Williams over Noah. Kid has played well since returning from injury, and had 14 points today.

8. JMike looked good running the point, but does get out of control at times. But I’ll take that over no energy guys.

9. Pike seems to have come around to the idea that Gavin is a net negative when he’s on the floor. Not a lot of minutes today, and got yanked twice in the first half.

10. The season is probably a write off, but let’s see if we can show a pulse at home against Indiana. The goal now is NIT.

How do you have 16 TO's against Iowa??? Iowa did force some TO's but we had a bunch of unforced turnovers due to sloppy passes on the perimeter.

For the year, we've been good at protecting the ball, making the sloppy play even more frustrating.

“JMike looked good running the point”? Where?
4 for 12 from the field, way too many shots, way too many missed shots, not enough passing and one more assist and one more turnover than Simpson in seven more minutes.
Again I’m perplexed by the Simpson hate and the JMike love.

Reactions: RUBlackout
JMike looked good running the point? Where?
4 for 12 from the field, way too many shots, way too many missed shots, and one more assist and one more turnover than Simpson in seven more minutes.
He also had three more rebounds.

This year needs to be about finding legit dawgs that can help contribute and lead next year. There are no primary scorers on this team. They are coming in next year.

The challenge for the remainder of the games is finding a way to achieve a winning season .At the same time identify the players the coaching staff wants to return for next season.The roster as currently constituted lacks power conference talent.

As a side note St.Johns is defeating Villanova on the road by 12 points with two minutes to go.They will have a 11-4 record with a new head a coach and plenty of roster changes from the transfer portal.

This is not where you learn how to play the game. Yes, good coaching can improve a player who is already pretty good. Our team looks like a pick up squad.

This is not where you learn how to play the game. Yes, good coaching can improve a player who is already pretty good. Our team looks like a pick up squad.
I said a while ago, you aren’t preparing anyone for next year unless the players are taught a system and a specific way to play within that system.
Practices should be precise exercises in teaching your system and your exact roll within it.

Reactions: tm_nj
He also had three more rebounds.
Lot more minutes.
Simpson won the Stonehill game.
Rebounded very well Stonehill and OSU
Almost won us OSU game. Won Indiana and PSU game last year. Only a sophomore.
JMike goes 4-12 and he deserves minutes at Simpson’s expense or deserves to run the point? In what world is shooting 4-12 evidence of running the point well?
Sorry, not computing.

Last edited:
JMike has high energy but plays out of control most of the time due to his aggressive nature…the game will eventually slow down for him and he will be good player.
That said, I think Pike needs to switch up his starting 5 and start to limit how many players he rotates. Palmquist should not see the floor again unless in blowouts.

Starting 5:
Simpson
jmike
Cliff
Mag
Hyatt

I don’t think Noah should be starting anymore and should come off the bench. I would actually prefer to see Gavin starting over Hyatt as I just think Hyatt lacks the drive/hustle except when he touches the ball on offense. I would rather prepare Gavin for the future and give him the minutes to learn. It’s not like Hyatt is outplaying him on the defensive end either.

bench:
Austin Williams (first guy off the bench OR could start for JMike) depending on matchups. More about minutes IN the game than starting
Woolf - sub cliff
Noah - for Simpson and see who has the hot hand playing better for extended minutes
Gavin - see above but he needs extended minutes and more of a designed offensive to free him up rather than bombing threes minute he touches it

Sit Noah. Start JMike. Get Gavin enough minutes and let him shoot from 4’ beyond the arc if you have to but let the kid shoot.
This season is over……work on developing the guys we need next year. Noah is utterly useless at this point, we’re not playing for the tourney this year, he’s not part of the equation next year……….he’s like the only straight guy at a party full of lesbians…..pointless. FIX GAVIN……..FIGURE IT OUT……..that would at least be a positive takeaway from this season.

“JMike looked good running the point”? Where?
4 for 12 from the field, way too many shots, way too many missed shots, not enough passing and one more assist and one more turnover than Simpson in seven more minutes.
As a point guard, need to distribute and protect the ball. JM is better at that.

NF 2.2 ast/1.6 tov in 28.2 min
DS 2.9 ast/1.8 tov in 25.1 min
JD 2.7 ast/0.8 tov in 22.3 min

Given a choice at running the point, I'd take JD. DS is more of a combo/scoring guard.

For me the question is NF v. JD at the one, and DS v. AW at the two.

Reactions: BillyC80
This year needs to be about finding legit dawgs that can help contribute and lead next year. There are no primary scorers on this team. They are coming in next year.
God I hope we’re not having thus same conversation this time next year.

The comparison was Simpson and JM?
I was editing while you were replying.

DS isn't a point guard. We're asking him to play the two guard, but he's more of a combo player. JM is a better point guard than NF is, so you won't see hate there.

DS is a two guard, with higher expectations, especially as a sophomore. NF is struggling to both distribute and score. JD is better at distributing then scoring. DS needs to get better at scoring to fill that scoring guard role.

we suck again GIF

How many times have any of us said “great pass” this season? I certainly haven’t. Unfortunately I’ve been used to saying “great pass” for the past few seasons. There ain’t a true PG on this team.

• Angry
Reactions: Scangg
He had a great first half being aggressive to the hoop, but only had three attempts in the second half and finished the game as a point guard with zero assists.
I know but JMike going 4-12 and three assists and everybody saying he was great today or ran the point well and has earned more time is equally head scratching. He’s a good defender and gets rebounds. Right now, Simpson more upside IMHO.

He has had 2 good games and the rest he's been abysmal. He isn't cut for this level.
Weirdly he had a nice game against SHU and OSU. Our two best efforts of the year.
I don’t know the answer.

I know but JMike going 4-12 and three assists and everybody saying he was great today or ran the point well and has earned more time is equally head scratching. He’s a good defender and gets rebounds. Right now, Simpson more upside IMHO.

Simpson needs to be our two guard, not our point guard. If we had a true shooting guard on the roster like Spencer, he could play point - but we don't. He needs to be off-ball and focused on scoring. So far, his FG% hasn't been great, and he's not making up for it with a great ast/tov ratio either.

Davis is the pure point. Simpson is a combo guard. Both of them are too small, so Williams gives us a bigger body defensively. Fernandes needs to be the 4th guard getting minutes.

We have 80 min at guard right now. Right now I'd probably put 28 Davis, 28 Simpson, 15 Williams, 9 Fernandes at this point. And Simpson still needs to pull up less often from 15+ feet. Williams would probably get another 5 or so at the SF spot, too.

Reactions: runner3283
Simpson needs to be our two guard, not our point guard. If we had a true shooting guard on the roster like Spencer, he could play point - but we don't. He needs to be off-ball and focused on scoring. So far, his FG% hasn't been great, and he's not making up for it with a great ast/tov ratio either.

Davis is the pure point. Simpson is a combo guard. Both of them are too small, so Williams gives us a bigger body defensively. Fernandes needs to be the 4th guard getting minutes.

We have 80 min at guard right now. Right now I'd probably put 28 Davis, 28 Simpson, 15 Williams, 9 Fernandes at this point. And Simpson still needs to pull up less often from 15+ feet. Williams would probably get another 5 or so at the SF spot, too.
The problem is Davis has not shown he’s the point either. His shooting is awful. His foul shooting even worse. Davis goes 4-12 and Simpson needs to pull up less often? The arguments made to justify Davis and criticize Simpson are making my head spin and you guys are making Carino correct.
Davis hasn’t been great with his point to assist ratio either.
Simpson can take over games. We have seen it. Roll the dice with him!
Simpson and Williams.

Last edited:
The problem is Davis has not shown he’s the point either. His shooting is awful. His foul shooting even worse. He hasn’t overcome it with his point to assist ratio either.
Simpson can take over games. We have seen it. Roll the dice with him!
Simpson and Williams.
Williams has shown nothing from a distribution perspective, so that would put the entire burden on Simpson, which would limit his scoring. Give Davis 28 minutes and he will have 3+ assists/game, and a 3:1 ratio.

Williams has had one game in double digits, not sure why people are looking to hand him the keys at the 2.

How many times have any of us said “great pass” this season? I certainly haven’t. Unfortunately I’ve been used to saying “great pass” for the past few seasons. There ain’t a true PG on this team.

J mike to Gavin for a dunk in one of the early games

Cliff kicked one out of the post, a slightly diagonal pass to an open shooter, to Noah outside the 3 point line for a big 3 against SHU. I was shocked as Cliff never does this, I literally said “nice pass Cliff, where has this been all year?” Unfortunately, we haven’t seen much of that.

Williams has shown nothing from a distribution perspective, so that would put the entire burden on Simpson, which would limit his scoring. Give Davis 28 minutes and he will have 3+ assists/game, and a 3:1 ratio.

Williams has had one game in double digits, not sure why people are looking to hand him the keys at the 2.
Williams isn't a PG. What he brings is something Noah Davis and Simpson don't. A big strong body. He has to play to just stop teams from bullying us against any team that doesn't have tiny guards at this point. Two tiny guards is hurting us defensively and rebounding. Williams also apparently can make an occasional layup so that's a plus

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT