ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Jersey Mike's Arena: No. 24 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts, No. 20 MSU(Friday), No. 3 Michigan(Sunday)

Question on Soldano:
Does he have any skills from Neutral! Really havent seen it. Hes not going to get away with this kind of wrestling vs the Top 15 type guys. Does he need to reinvent himself to be competitive vs top 10? Not putting him down at all. Just starting to see this style isnt going to work vs the better guys. Yeah he will surprise here and there but today he got beat at his own game

Reactions: elvis7
Question on Soldano:
Does he have any skills from Neutral! Really havent seen it. Hes not going to get away with this kind of wrestling vs the Top 15 type guys. Does he need to reinvent himself to be competitive vs top 10? Not putting him down at all. Just starting to see this style isnt going to work vs the better guys. Yeah he will surprise here and there but today he got beat at his own game
Yes, he can get takedowns.

Reactions: elvis7
Soldano just needs more experience. You can tell him as many times as you like what will and won’t work. He ultimately has to figure it out on his own. It’s the first time in his life he’s wrestling against guys as strong as him consistently. He’s got the things that are impossible to teach. As long as he’s coachable he will be fine.

Great match, excellent environment. One head scratcher match for us but overall, high level, quality wrestling.

Awesome environment. Mich is another level but I can't wait to get back Sunday.

Shout out to Billy janzer looking like a ****ING DOG out there. He gassed out caffey and out wrestled him for 90% of the match. Go look at the end, he could have fought at put himself in a worse position. Team Guy, can def beat caffey in the future. If his match w caffey is him 💯 healthy, I'm pumped to see him moving forward. Just looking for a little more offense.

Also, convinced that if heilman stays on the offense, he can beat a lot of guys out there. This is the first match in a bunch I think we see him prove that. 💪🏾💪🏾

Last edited:
Question on Soldano:
Yes. His HS started out this way too. His freshmen year he pinned most kids doing this same stuff but couldn’t beat the top guys. After that it wasn’t long before no one was close to him in the state. Against the elite national guys sometimes it seemed he was figured out which led to his few losses. But the sky is the limit. There’s nothing slick or overly techinical about Lee. Everyone knows what he does but no one can stop it. Soldano isn’t Lee, but he has unique ability to impose himself on people. It’s up to the coaches to figure out how to tap into that raw and unique ability. His game right now is over powering people but he’s very young. With maturity and refinement it will be very interesting to see what the final product is few years from now. He’s not a kid coming out of an elite Delbarton or Blair program and his potential is not tapped out if he can made the right adjustments.

Loses 14-6

16-9 RU
Soldano has to learn at some point he isn't wrestling NJ high schoolers anymore. He got out of some predicaments tonight but choosing top and then sitting back to spoon the other guy just won't work in the B1G.
Caffey wins 3-1 in SV
16-12
Janzer wrestled tough tonight. It was a gutsy performance against a solid opponent. Caffey is big and strong but gets gassed easily. That has been his M.O. his entire career. Janzer battled him and I thought he had the takedown at the end. Why didn't RU throw the brick? Sparty threw about 5 bricks all match and we didn't throw one. With Janzer, that would have locked the match up. Anyone have a better look or see the replay? I thought Janzer had both of Caffey's legs and was still in bounds.

Reactions: Leonard23
Yes. His HS started out this way too. His freshmen year he pinned most kids doing this same stuff but couldn’t beat the top guys. After that it wasn’t long before no one was close to him in the state. Against the elite national guys sometimes it seemed he was figured out which led to his few losses. But the sky is the limit. There’s nothing slick or overly techinical about Lee. Everyone knows what he does but no one can stop it. Soldano isn’t Lee, but he has unique ability to impose himself on people. It’s up to the coaches to figure out how to tap into that raw and unique ability. His game right now is over powering people but he’s very young. With maturity and refinement it will be very interesting to see what the final product is few years from now. He’s not a kid coming out of an elite Delbarton or Blair program and his potential is not tapped out if he can made the right adjustments.
With respect, Lee is dominant and wrestles what most would say is high percentage wrestling.

Sometimes you don't need the best technique, you just gotta hit something no one else can stop. That's my thought on soldano. And he can do it to a lot of guys out there. He hits some shit that's just out of left field But it is not high percentage. W pritz and co in the corner, I'm sure he will develop a more rounded repertoire.

But not close to use lee as an example at all.

Just got home. Another great atmosphere tonight. Need to make sure we have more than 4 home duals going forward. It’s a disservice to the sport otherwise.

Here are my thoughts:
- Peterson is going to be a stud. He took control when he needed to and can’t wait to see what he can do over the next few years. He can/will definitely be a multiple time AA.
- Huge win by Heilman, this was basically the toss up that won the match for us. I hope he comes back next year.
- Oliveri was great once again. I thought he had the dude flat but he’s super solid and going to be great as well. Deserves a ton of praise. Gets to the cradle often.
- Nice bounce back win for White against a tough opponent. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going.
- Not much can be said about Clark or O’Neill getting shutout.
- Happy to see Turley get a big win. Hopefully he can find some consistency and get back on track. You can see how he can still be dangerous.
- Soldano is going to Soldano but until he is full sized, he needs take more calculated risks. He can score from any position but he also puts himself in terrible situations against guys who are much stronger than him. Hopefully he learns this quickly but I have no concerns here. Strap in and enjoy the ride.
- Eventhough Janzer lost, he deserved to win that match. That was the best he wrestled in a long time. Happy for him. Hopefully he can keep that going. He wore Caffey down. He was gassed early.
-Great and smart performance by Epperly. He did exactly what he needed to and wore down his opponent.

Also a big thanks to the MSU coach for nailing the official with the brick. You da real MVP!

Last edited:
Based on Michigan's lineup tonight we can win on Sunday. Penn State beat Michigan 30-8.Michigan won 125 and heavyweight.

Peterson beat Medley in December 3-0
Heilmann fights hard & losses 3-3
Olivieri dominates 6-3
Lamar didn't wrestle @PSU - White wins 9-3
Clark goes down 9-6
Amine majors O'Neill 9-10
Truley beats Maylor 12-10
Soldano tops Finesilver 15-10
Janzer beats Yootoma 18-10
Paris wins by fall 18-15

Based on Michigan's lineup tonight we can win on Sunday. Penn State beat Michigan 30-8.Michigan won 125 and heavyweight.

Peterson beat Medley in December 3-0
Heilmann fights hard & losses 3-3
Olivieri dominates 6-3
Lamar didn't wrestle @PSU - White wins 9-3
Clark goes down 9-6
Amine majors O'Neill 9-10
Truley beats Maylor 12-10
Soldano tops Finesilver 15-10
Janzer beats Yootoma 18-10
Paris wins by fall 18-15
Would love to see it. Olivera won’t dominate Mattin but definitely winnable. The one I’m least confident about is Janzer. I can’t see him winning that match. Michigan also has Jake Woodley who may make his Michigan debut and then there’s no chance at 197. He was announced as wrestling vs PSU but then didn’t go?

There is a path though..Olivera, Turley, Soldano MUST win. I actually give Hellmann a better chance at 133 then I do Janzer at 197

Congrats to the boys.... great win. We have some great athletes and coaches repping our school. They have been getting some criticism recently... I am always so thrilled when anyone carrying our colors comes through! Go RU. Let's go get us some Wolverine pelts next.

Last edited:
Soldano just needs more experience. You can tell him as many times as you like what will and won’t work. He ultimately has to figure it out on his own. It’s the first time in his life he’s wrestling against guys as strong as him consistently. He’s got the things that are impossible to teach. As long as he’s coachable he will be fine.
He would probably benefit from having a qualified big coach in the room. But, they opted for pollard and Buxton.

• Haha
Pritzlaff probably walks around at 190lbs...I think that is a great coach for 184lber
So are top asst coach that was working predominantly with Ashnault and Seabass is also putting in steady work with our 84 and 97 lb? Sounds like a winning recipe. Your right we don’t need a qualified big man to A. Attract blue chip recruits and B. Help develop the upper weights. We are in a great spot with 135 lb asst and a 75 year old asst. both without any D1 accolades.

• Haha
^^^^^^ Insert foot in mouth. ^^^^^^^
Really? Wow, one more win than I predicted. Holy cow, I couldn't have been more wrong. Look back at the past three years at my predictions and compare to yours if you even made any.

The entire team wrestled well as if they were inspired. That mental attitude is what is needed on a regular basis. Good for Heilman and Turley for placing my foot in my mouth. Unfortunately, Soldano didn't come through for me. However, I pointed out exactly what would happen with his expose-his-back style even before he joined the team. I did think he would pull out the win. So, in the end, we won five and I had said four. That's a big deal to you? Don't jump into the reconciliation stage too quickly, we may still be in the WTF stage.
Here's the big question... can they carry the intensity over to Sunday? I certainly hope so. I'm especially happy that Turley performed well. I didn't get to see the match and wonder if he will be able to continue like that. Janzer was a big surprise.

With respect, Lee is dominant and wrestles what most would say is high percentage wrestling.

Sometimes you don't need the best technique, you just gotta hit something no one else can stop. That's my thought on soldano. And he can do it to a lot of guys out there. He hits some shit that's just out of left field But it is not high percentage. W pritz and co in the corner, I'm sure he will develop a more rounded repertoire.

But not close to use lee as an example at all.
He’s not lee, and I said as much. Lees strength is on top where he just physically imposes himself on his opponent. That’s what Soriano did to the state of NJ for two years.

The comparison is in the freakish strength.

Last edited:
Really? Wow, one more win than I predicted. Holy cow, I couldn't have been more wrong. Look back at the past three years at my predictions and compare to yours if you even made any.

The entire team wrestled well as if they were inspired. That mental attitude is what is needed on a regular basis. Good for Heilman and Turley for placing my foot in my mouth. Unfortunately, Soldano didn't come through for me. However, I pointed out exactly what would happen with his expose-his-back style even before he joined the team. I did think he would pull out the win. So, in the end, we won five and I had said four. That's a big deal to you? Don't jump into the reconciliation stage too quickly, we may still be in the WTF stage.
Here's the big question... can they carry the intensity over to Sunday? I certainly hope so. I'm especially happy that Turley performed well. I didn't get to see the match and wonder if he will be able to continue like that. Janzer was a big surprise.
Relax Francis. I was only having a little fun. But, you did say we'd be LUCKY to win 4 (which indicates you didn't think we had much of a chance to win four). I'd say we didn't win any on luck. Our five wins were solid, well earned and well executed. I still think Janzer had the takedown which would have won him the match. Im not sure why they didn't use their challenge brick. My view was a little obscured but I thought he had it. As far as my predictions go, I don't follow the other teams as much, so I never try and predict match outcomes. It's not worth my time. Like you, I did predict Soldano's penchant for crazy stunts on the mat would be a detriment in college. These guys are just too darn good. Back when Soldano committed, I compared his style to Turley in high school when JT wrestled with a controlled reckless abandon if that makes sense. That cost Turley some matches his freshman year at RU, but he has learned from his mistakes. Soldano needs to do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT