ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Jersey Mike's Arena: No. 24 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts, No. 20 MSU(Friday), No. 3 Michigan(Sunday)

Relax Francis. I was only having a little fun. But, you did say we'd be LUCKY to win 4 (which indicates you didn't think we had much of a chance to win four). I'd say we didn't win any on luck. Our five wins were solid, well earned and well executed. I still think Janzer had the takedown which would have won him the match. Im not sure why they didn't use their challenge brick. My view was a little obscured but I thought he had it. As far as my predictions go, I don't follow the other teams as much, so I never try and predict match outcomes. It's not worth my time. Like you, I did predict Soldano's penchant for crazy stunts on the mat would be a detriment in college. These guys are just too darn good. Back when Soldano committed, I compared his style to Turley in high school when JT wrestled with a controlled reckless abandon if that makes sense. That cost Turley some matches his freshman year at RU, but he has learned from his mistakes. Soldano needs to do the same.
I'm a bit sensitive because there are several here that will take great enjoyment from when I'm wrong about anything. They don't want to recognize the vast majority of times I've been right. Still, I'm willing to put my predictions out there and be proven wrong. I get more enjoyment from being wrong than right because that is often when the team or individuals do well. Most of what I say is out of frustration with the program - to see the same things happening each year.

I'm quite happy with the way the team wrestled on Friday. I didn't get to see the match, but the results suggest a level of intensity that I do not detect on a regular basis. I wonder if the home crowd helped to create that. I suspect it did.

You are correct about Turley and his style has been equally as dangerous as Soldano's. I wonder if it also led to his shoulder injury. I liked Turley from the beginning and thought he had great potential. I can't figure him out this year. I didn't have great expectations because of his injury, surgery, and time off. I thought if he might reinjure himself and his reluctance to risk that might explain his lack of aggression in some matches. Then He seemed to look strong, then weak again, followed by a good performance on Friday. Can we expect any consistency from him? Hard to predict his performance at this point. Nevertheless, I was pleased to see him pull out a good victory on Friday.

Love,
Francis

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Overall not bad wrestling, definitely better than last weekend. Might get ugly in the 2nd half though

Soldano looks so tiny. I'd say he's cutting absolutely nothing and this is close to his walking around weight.

O’Donnell loses to Parris(#1 ranked next week) by fall in the 1st.

RU needed to win more of the tossups but lost some close ones.

UM 24 RU 9

Reactions: rubigtimenow
O’Donnell loses to Parris(#1 ranked next week) by fall in the 1st.

RU needed to win more of the tossups but lost some close ones.

UM 24 RU 9
Even if Turley and Heilmann win their toss ups it would have been 18-15. Would have needed White to win as well.

Not winning a big 10 dual without Boone. Heavies are going to get 5-6 points against Odonnell every match.

Based on that think he should try to go 174?
Beats me. But every match I wonder what the other guy must walk around at, because he looks so small. Happy for Janzer other than that, not much for the crowd to cheer for and pretty quiet.

Reactions: KidDagger
Officiating was awful today. A lot of no call stalling going on. Turley got screwed. At least Dean was able to get the late takedown. The team definitely needs to get better at getting out from bottom. Michigan is tough and the match was a lot closer than the score indicated.

Officiating was awful today. A lot of no call stalling going on. Turley got screwed. At least Dean was able to get the late takedown. The team definitely needs to get better at getting out from bottom. Michigan is tough and the match was a lot closer than the score indicated.
I’ve never seen a team get so few home team calls. It’s insane. You walk into carver arena and every call is against you. You’d think the RAC environment would have the same effect. There is such an anti Rutgers bias in everything big 10 and I don’t understand why.

Coach Goodale tells it as it is. The concern is we hear something similar every year and our results don't change.

From Coach Goodale to NJ.Com

“Woke up this morning feeling like something really special was going to happen,” Rutgers coach Scott Goodale said. “I thought we were going to make it happen, but maybe they were just a little better in some spots. Disappointing, but the effort was there. I thought we could win 149 and 174 but we just didn’t do it,” Goodale said. “If you want to pick off the No. 3 team in the country, you have to win those bouts. We just didn’t do it today”

Reactions: KidDagger
Tough but competitive match.

Think college wrestling needs to look at sitting on an ankle from top. No way that should determine a whole period imo. It's not looking to turn or advancing a position.

Also, I'll say it again, heilman and janzer both looked like they got that inner killer in them. We just need a little more offense and aggressiveness imo. Can't wait to see that pay off for them in the big ten.

Overall, um is a tough team that ran into THE buzzsaw Fri night. They showed up today ready to wrestle and we had a couple of close matches.

Good luck to um moving forward and hope we get a second chance at em for a few of our guys. Go ru.

Coach Goodale tells it as it is. The concern is we hear something similar every year and our results don't change.

From Coach Goodale to NJ.Com

“Woke up this morning feeling like something really special was going to happen,” Rutgers coach Scott Goodale said. “I thought we were going to make it happen, but maybe they were just a little better in some spots. Disappointing, but the effort was there. I thought we could win 149 and 174 but we just didn’t do it,” Goodale said. “If you want to pick off the No. 3 team in the country, you have to win those bouts. We just didn’t do it today”
Same story with Schiano; we're close, gonna get there, just missed. I actually think wrestling has a better chance.

Based on Michigan's lineup tonight we can win on Sunday. Penn State beat Michigan 30-8.Michigan won 125 and heavyweight.

✔Peterson beat Medley in December 3-0
✔Heilmann fights hard & losses 3-3
✔Olivieri dominates 6-3
XLamar didn't wrestle @PSU - White wins 9-3
✔Clark goes down 9-6
✔Amine majors O'Neill 9-10
XTruley beats Maylor 12-10
XSoldano tops Finesilver 15-10
✔Janzer beats Yootoma 18-10
✔Paris wins by fall 18-15
Thanks for taking the risk to put yourself out there with a prediction. I was with you until the second half where you were a tad too optimistic. I am surprised though, that Janzer won. I may have been underestimating him.

I just watched some of the matches on Youtube from the two nights. Soldano is exposing his back even more than I thought. What's more, how many times has his right leg been attacked? I think the word is out that his right leg is ripe for the picking.

It would be interesting to see if Soldano could somehow get down to 174 next year. Almost every guy he's wrestled (and lost to) lately have such a larger frame and you can tell they are cutting a good amount to get down to 184. They are just too strong for him to wrestle the kind of match he wants to. Also, with Soldano at 174 it would allow Poz to go 184 which would seem to make the most sense for the lineup.

Turley vs Soldano. What a match to watch. I give the edge to Turley but the way they both roll thru an exposed back I wouldn't be surprised by a pin from either one.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Turley vs Soldano. What a match to watch. I give the edge to Turley but the way they both roll thru an exposed back I wouldn't be surprised by a pin from either one.
Another added twist that I doubt would happen is Turley trying to make 165. He wrestled 165 a little bit as a freshman but had difficulty keeping the weight down. Wonder if some added experience over the years would help. Big ask though but that would ultimately be our best lineup if we can’t sneak a transfer in.

He also has a redshirt available

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT