ADVERTISEMENT

Ron & Geo Slump Last 4-5 games

Here's my dead honest prediction. I'd love to be wrong

1) We miss the tourney this year but most people rationalize it by saying "we're a year ahead of schedule it's miraculous that in year 4 (when our coach has a roster 100% of his own guys) that we even were on the bubble"

2) We under perform again next year and miss the tourney but the narrative will be, well the ball bounced the wrong way, next year we'll have a senior laden roster with upperclassmen of ron, montez, caleb, myles, mulcahy, next year is the year. Now fans will begin questioning pike and if he's the guy.

3) Ron, Myles, Caleb, Montez senior year in 21-22, we miss the tourney and the pitchforks come out for pike and ultimately in typical Rutgers fashion we'll wait another year to fire him and finally get a coach in here who can take advantage of the APC, or geography and get things done.

LOL you’re full of it dude. It’s embarrassing that you’re lying.

I’m not lying. You’ve clearly taken my previous posts and assumes some underlying nonexistent intent. I assure you, you do not know me like that. Please stop hijacking the thread. Please take it down or I will need to take this a step further.

1) We miss the tourney this year but most people rationalize it by saying "we're a year ahead of schedule it's miraculous that in year 4 (when our coach has a roster 100% of his own guys) that we even were on the bubble"

2) We under perform again next year and miss the tourney but the narrative will be, well the ball bounced the wrong way, next year we'll have a senior laden roster with upperclassmen of ron, montez, caleb, myles, mulcahy, next year is the year. Now fans will begin questioning pike and if he's the guy.

3) Ron, Myles, Caleb, Montez senior year in 21-22, we miss the tourney and the pitchforks come out for pike and ultimately in typical Rutgers fashion we'll wait another year to fire him and finally get a coach in here who can take advantage of the APC, or geography and get things done.

I wouldn’t write off the next three seasons yet but with the caveat that we need to win some recruiting battles and upgrade the talent level to compliment the experience the roster will have. If recruiting continues at its current then sadly your path is very realistic.

Those may be your only criticisms this year but they weren’t your only ones last year LOL.

Glad to see you changed your tune with the year we’re having though.

remember who you are dealing with. He was a staunch supporter of Eddie Jordan...he may have the been the last one to turn the light out on that error

Reactions: S_Janowski
alot of the problems is Pikes subs and letting certain pairings remain on court and struggle while others who may be in groove,Yeboah ,stop getting the ball and others who create offense driving to basket-Young- receive pre designated minutes of play NO matter what that particular game situation is unfolding that day.
Three blown halftime leads,most average BBALL stand alone,non fans of a particular program would say,thats on Coaching.

this is such a bad take from a guy who was predicting a ncaa tourney this year while most were arguing with you. Now at 16-7 and a 7 seed average in most brackets you are jumping off the deep end

remember who you are dealing with. He was a staunch supporter of Eddie Jordan...he may have the been the last one to turn the light out on that error

Another LIE. I never supported Jordan ever! I supported the idea of not buying him out and taking that money to hire a bigger name coach with a track record of recruiting. It’s nuanced I know, but, you also know that was my point.

The next year of Eddie would have been miserable. But what’s one more year of sh*t if it leads to hiring a big name guy when our money got better.

That was my take. I can see both sides of the argument but that’s where I stood.

Pike also overestimates our depth. Last night we were obviously shorthanded. But generally speaking he does.

I’m not lying. You’ve clearly taken my previous posts and assumes some underlying nonexistent intent. I assure you, you do not know me like that. Please stop hijacking the thread. Please take it down or I will need to take this a step further.

Lol ok dude. Go cry to the mods.

You were never a believer in Pikiell from day 1 and now that he’s had some legit success this year you’re softening up.

I’ll bring it back to the thread and reiterate how dumb your comment on Geo was...

Maybe he’s getting surpassed by the sophomores and his minutes should be diminished a little bit but to say this is “who he is” is a moronic statement considering the kid is clearly still hampered by his hand.

Lol ok dude. Go cry to the mods.

You were never a believer in Pikiell from day 1 and now that he’s had some legit success this year you’re softening up.

I’ll bring it back to the thread and reiterate how dumb your comment on Geo was...

Maybe he’s getting surpassed by the sophomores and his minutes should be diminished a little bit but to say this is “who he is” is a moronic statement considering the kid is clearly still hampered by his hand.

This is who he is less 5% in shooting percentage would that make you happy? Variance is variance for a reason.

Wasn’t talking about mods either. Thanks for getting back to topic and admitting fault. Saying I wasn’t a “believer” of Pike isn’t wrong so thanks for that. I was clearly a “wait and see” guy and thought the cart was being put before the horse.

Reactions: S_Janowski
...or maybe is just slightly not quick enough for some of the upper half B1G guards and thats why hes backing them all down.

This hints at something I've been thinking about since the Michigan game. Could it all be as simple as going up against more gifted/talented players in the latter part of the schedule? Without over-analyzing that game at MSG, it looked like we were just physically outmatched at certain positions... especially up front. We had no answer for their combination of length, athleticism and ability to put the ball in the hole.

Yet, despite all that, we still had a chance to win... which is the case with all our losses so far. That gives me hope that this team can get a solid road win or two.

Not arguing re: his hand; just pointing out that "slumps" aren't new for Geo.

Freshman year: From 2/5-2/28, he played 6 (missed a game due to flu). Averaged: 28.3 min, 4.8 pts (11-48 FG, 7-26 3P, 0-3 FT), 1.5 rb. Followed that up with 40 points over two games at MSG.

Sophomore year: From 3/2-3/13, he played our final 4 games. Averaged: 35.3 min, 5.8 pts (8-33 FG, 4-18 3P, 3-4 FT), 3.8 rb.

Junior year: From 12/14-2/4, he has played 10 games (missed 3 games with injury). Averaged: 22.3 min, 5.5 pts (19-75 FG, 8-33 3P, 9-14 FT), 1.0 rb

Difference with this slump is that it started earlier in the season and has gone on much longer. Really hoping he can spring back and finish strong.

These are our leaders and they need to wake the F up. Geo has an injury excuse. Ron does not.

All of this comes down to coaching

Geo may be better next year if Pike adds PnP to the offense and gets more touched for Geo that way. This year the less he plays the better.

He’s doing everything poorly. Not just his shooting. Off ball D is about all he brings to the table right now. Sit him.

Pike is starting to figure it out.

Side question here. Want your take. Do you think playing with a particular teammate (s) can impact someone’s game as much or more (or less) as a non-shooting hand thumb injury after you’ve been cleared to play?

Here we go with that lie again.

The only criticisms I’ve made of Pike ever are that he’s to quick to the bench and he sometimes struggles figuring out the right rotations/pairings. And I’ve also said recruiting is not where it needs to be but never laid the majority of the blame on Pike for that.

This year I will add he’s really not creative enough offensively in game strategy.

Can the teammates you play with (read: fit within an offensive system) impact your game just as much, or more/less, than a non shooting hand thumb injury a player has been cleared to play with?

Makes me worry about Pike even more to be honest. Geo didn’t fit before his injury IMO anyway but he’s been getting cooked on ball D every single game, taking bad shots, not getting back in transition, etc. Thumb can’t be impacting those things much.

Big indictment on Geo and Pike apparently.

Pike also overestimates our depth. Last night we were obviously shorthanded. But generally speaking he does.

This is who he is less 5% in shooting percentage would that make you happy? Variance is variance for a reason.

Wasn’t talking about mods either. Thanks for getting back to topic and admitting fault. Saying I wasn’t a “believer” of Pike isn’t wrong so thanks for that. I was clearly a “wait and see” guy and thought the cart was being put before the horse.

Yea you’re really wrong.

Hopefully you can be a man and admit it.

We won the game in OT against the worst team in the conference when Pike paired Geo with an off ball guard in McConnell with 7 minutes to go and played his “best” lineup the last 12 minutes straight.

I feel like I’m pretty on the mark after that game tbh

Huge game. Doing what he does best: pulling up off the dribble. Took a while but Pike ditched Geo/Young/Mulcahy and paired Geo with an off ball guard in McConnell.

Now will Pike continue to wait until the last 7 minutes of every game to stick with his “best” lineup? We are not as deep as Pike thinks we are and we should be shortening up the benches minutes. We went the last 12 minutes basically with Geo McConnell Yeboah Harper Miles. Also, don’t play McConnell and Tez together as the only two guards.

Now this is the first game Geo could get to the rim in while. Hopefully it’s because he feels better back from injury and not because it was NW.

We won the game in OT against the worst team in the conference when Pike paired Geo with an off ball guard in McConnell with 7 minutes to go and played his “best” lineup the last 12 minutes straight.

I feel like I’m pretty on the mark after that game tbh

Instead of giving Geo props that’s your response.

You’re such a loser. Seriously what a turd you are.

Stop trying to twist it. You didn’t think Geo was any good.

Aw that’s cute the thread that gets buried and nobody reads post game.

How about be a man and do it in this thread.

I tell you what I think and why. Go read the thread man I said Geo played a great game. Actually, myself and a few others coaches that comeback win starting about 10 minutes earlier than Pikiell did lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT