ADVERTISEMENT

RU goes 5-7,Nebraska goes 5-7, which gets a Bowl invite?

Cornhuskers travel well so I would assume they get bid. Someone mentioned that the higher APR team gets the bid but not sure if that's a joke?

I thought somebody already posted the APR rankings and they are ahead of us.

We'd need two of the next three, not one.

There are really two ways for this to happen.
1. We lose to Nebraska, but beat Maryland and Army.
2. We beat Nebraska and either Army/Maryland, but they beat Iowa.

In the first scenario, I'd think they'd be more attractive because we lost the head to head matchup and our signature win would be over Maryland or Army.
In the second scenario, I think they'd be more attractive - season ending win over a Top 25 team vs. our finishing the season with a loss to either Army or Maryland.

$$$$$ is the driver behind all college football decisions. Nebraska travels better and has a better national name. The decision is easy.

Reactions: MS-RU and RUich
beaced - while I'm of the "you don't go to a bowl at 5-7" crowd, it doesn't matter, Nebraska would get the nod. They've actually competed this year, against better teams, while we simply haven't, on top of the "name" and "travelling" ability.

Both could still go.After I get home on Saturday,I'll check all the possibilities for the number of 5-7 teams needed.We need the results of at least one more game.It's still possible that the team will walk off of the field after the Maryland game not knowing their fate.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
$$$$$ is the driver behind all college football decisions. Nebraska travels better and has a better national name. The decision is easy.

Ding,ding,ding...we have a winner![cheers]

Wrong. If 5-7 teams get bowl bids, it is based on APR order.

Call me nuts or just a homer. But I think Nebraska is finally healthy and is going to beat Iowa and RU.

They had a transition season, and the following starters have missed games:

- Tommy Armstrong, QB - 1 game, missed Purdue game and walk on back up throws 4 picks inside the Nebraska 25 yard line.

- Terrell Newby, RB - missed 3 games including most of Purdue game
- WR Alonzo Moore - missed 2 games and 2nd half of NW game .. all of the Purdue game
- TE Cethan Carter - been suspended for 2 games
- RT Nick Gates - missed 2 games including Purdue
- RG Zach Sterup - didn't play the first 7 games
- DT - Vince Valentine - missed 4 games
- DT Kevin Maurice - missed 4 games including Purdue
- DT Kevin Williams - missed 6 games including Purdue
- LB Josh Banderas - missed 4 games
- LB Mike Rose Ivey- missed 5 games including Purdue
- LB - Chris Weber - missed 6 games including Purdue
- S - Byerson Cockrell - missed the Purdue game for a funeral
-CB - Jon Rose - has been suspended for 4 games including Purdue
-DE- Jack Gangwish - missed 3 starts

All 15 of those guys were back for Michigan State, and all 15 will be ready to go for Rutgers... Assuming Nebraska can stay healthy, I think they have a very good chance at beating Iowa, especially at home.

Injuries effect every team. Nebraska is just lucky enough to have some guys returning from injury instead fo being out for the season.

Thank you. Wishful thinking?

I wish nothing more than that Rutgers football (and athletics) winning every game they play. However, I have zero interest in watching any 5-7 teams play in bowl games, don't feel that it's rewarding in any way, and don't think that it benefits the players except for a few extra practices

Last edited:
I know it's all about the money but somehow a team with only 5 wins, with two of those against an FCS bottom feeder Norfolk and the other win against perennial FBS bottom feeder Kansas, should not be going to a Bowl.

I know it's all about the money but somehow a team with only 5 wins, with two of those against an FCS bottom feeder Norfolk and the other win against perennial FBS bottom feeder Kansas, should not be going to a Bowl.
Wins over Army, Norfolk, Kansas, Indiana, and Maryland. That is a bowl team? Something is broken with the system.

Reactions: rutgers4life11
Nebraska will rout Rutgers as bad as the last 3 games. Tommy Armstrong is better than any QB we've seen this year.

With APRs of 985 and 980, no way in hell both aren't bowling unless they only need a couple of 5-7 teams. With projections for as many as eight, I can't imagine many of those mediocre teams having higher APRs than both Nebraska and Rutgers.

205 and Nuts nailed it! Nebraska eill travel better and that is good for the local economy and also has the name recognition factor. Rutgers big plus would seem to be thr NY Metro tv factor but vs a Nebraska that could be minimized. If it were a school such as Minnesota then we definitely would have an edge for potential tv ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT