ADVERTISEMENT

RU has lost one of its greatest legends - RIP Phil Sellers...

This is a tough one to take. He was the first RU player I became aware of as a 14-year old watching a few RU games on NJ Network down in SNJ during the undefeated season. Amazing player and seemed like a really good guy, too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/358...cently_seen&multi_permalinks=1621512791670991
I agree my oldest brother was at Rutgers and I like you as a 14 year old during the undefeated season sat glued to the tv watching public television and not missing a game he was definitley the best; I had the good fortune of playing golf with Eddie Jordan about 6 years ago and spent about an hour talking about 75-76 will never forget that and of course that year and team

Sad day 😥

This one hurts. My earliest recollection of Rutgers basketball centered around Phil Sellers.

Thank you for the memories, Phil.
Same …

All the memories …and I was really hoping the entire 75-76 team would make it through the next couple of years to see the program challenges their .accomplishments

RIP Phil Sellers …a program and school legend

Awful, just simply awful. A huge piece of Rutgers MBB history is gone. By all accounts a great person as well.

Terrible news. I posted this on the other thread on the FB Board, but he was the leader of the first team I ever rooted for in sports and probably the reason I became a Rutgers fan at a young age. An all-time great who put Rutgers on the map. His interview segments during the Big 10 Elite documentary were the best. Sad day. I'm sure Rutgers Bball will have a tribute and they will probably (at least I hope) be wearing tribute patches this season.

Phil the Thrill was one helluva hoops player. The offensive stats that '76 team put up were legendary, averaging 93.3 pts per game. Phil averaged a double, double: 19.2, pts 10.2 reb. He was tenacious defender and took no sh*t from anybody. Played with his back to the basket for the most part, but still had a sweet touch on the ball. Simply, a great, great college basketball player and a Loyal Son forever. RIP.

Reactions: RUPete
I started being a fan in 1983 so this is before my time. But obviously, I've seen him around the RAC and know his legendary status with the program. My condolences to Phil's family and those that have a special place in their heart for him.

Reactions: RUPete
Former Rutgers President Dr. Edward J. Bloustein, said of Sellers that he "epitomized and symbolized in ways that people who gain the public eye sometimes do, a movement at Rutgers toward quality and self-assurance. He helped instill a sense of confidence in the university that persists today."

RIP, Phil...you have been, are and will be missed.

I can't believe I actually have tears in my eyes.

Terrible news. I posted this on the other thread on the FB Board, but he was the leader of the first team I ever rooted for in sports and probably the reason I became a Rutgers fan at a young age. An all-time great who put Rutgers on the map. His interview segments during the Big 10 Elite documentary were the best. Sad day. I'm sure Rutgers Bball will have a tribute and they will probably (at least I hope) be wearing tribute patches this season.
This^^^. I know I posted this on the Round Table earlier, but I'm finding that I cannot say it enough this afternoon. So many of the things we celebrate and argue about on these boards - the recent successes of Rutgers sports and even its current position in a tremendously successful conference in a relatively stable state - can be traced back to Phil coming to RU. There has never been anything quite like the changes that took place in any 4-year period, at any school, like the changes that took place at RU due to Phil's decision to come to New Brunswick. And, in that decision, he screwed Notre Dame...priceless, Phil!!! He never lost to Seton Hall or Princeton his last three years here. Along the Banks of the Raritan weeping at this loss could/should be heard today. The athletic halls of our beloved school are silent today. RIP Phil...hopefully, you'll now see/hear how much happiness and joy you brought to so many. Go PHIL...always! You're able to dunk where you'll be able to play again now! I wish all of our young fans had the chance to see Phil play...it was a sight to behold. Go RU!

Reading the messages yet again on his Go Fund Me page really got the flood gates going. Do you all think someone can contact his family and see if we can help them with what are probably astronomic medical bills, and funeral bills?

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Dicky V. posted his tribute on Twitter. He just had his last round of his own battle with throat cancer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT