ADVERTISEMENT

RU Swim/Dive Coach fired, 'Mike Rice tactics' , ugh :

This is what Title IV will get you. Girls competing and being recruited who years ago would have stopped sports after HS. Parents push them when they dont really want to compete any more or don't have the desire so they do it begrudgingly and then when the coach demands excellence they can't take it and meltdown.

Most guys will tell you the best coaches they had were the ones who pushed them to their limits and beyond. At the time you curse them but in the end you love them.

This. Look at women's basketball. There's simply not enough good players to fill 50 rosters let alone 300 or whatever it is. That's why teams like UConn can win a million games in a row many by 50 points or more.

Reactions: bigmatt718
"the swimmers were soft as charmin. Bad mix."
Really, Caliknight?? How could you possibly know how strong or soft these women are, who managed to make and compete for a Div. 1 B1G team?
By your logic, the basketball players who were abused by Rice and complained about it were also soft.

2 thoughts:

- I'm sure the kids at Top 20 swimming schools, who are competing with and against kids for spots in the world championship and Olympic trials, aren't complaining about the exact same (or similar) type of training. Not putting this on our kids who felt mistreated, don't get me wrong at all please, just stating what I'd take a pretty good guess to be the case.

- this story APPEARS to have no legs thus far and that's a good thing so let's all rejoice!
No follow up articles. I found that odd. Usually when it rains, it pours. During the Rice/Pernetti, Hermann/Flood fiascos, there were follow ups every day until at least the next week by NJAM. Most of them revealed new information. Nothing on this, excluding dickhead's opinion piece. That's very telling.

Last edited:
One last thing, doesn’t everyone pee in the pool?

I have the honor of having been Jr College all american in the 400 medley relay
with Steve Lochte(Ryan Lochtes dad)at Monroe Comm College in Rochester NY(1972)

Ryan has gone on record ......many times .......even to me
saying he tries to be the LAST person out of the pool during warmups
and he pees as he exits
and he STARTED in high school

No follow up articles. I found that odd. Usually when it rains, it pours. During the Rice/Pernetti, Hermann/Flood fiascos, there were follow ups every day until at least the next week by NJAN. Most of them revealed new information. Nothing on this, excluding dickhead's opinion piece. That's very telling.

Follow up article blaming Barchi :

http://www.nj.com/rutgers/index.ssf...dership_column_politi.html#incart_river_index
Read again. I said excluding dickhead's opinion piece.

I don't know...

Do you have any pictures of just the girl? That might help me... um... decide.

The girl (Nicole Johnson) is his wife now. She was a Miss California (2010 I think). I don't know if she swam anywhere

9TNlJyA.jpg

2 thoughts:

- I'm sure the kids at Top 20 swimming schools, who are competing with and against kids for spots in the world championship and Olympic trials, aren't complaining about the exact same (or similar) type of training. Not putting this on our kids who felt mistreated, don't get me wrong at all please, just stating what I'd take a pretty good guess to be the case.

- this story APPEARS to have no legs thus far and that's a good thing so let's all rejoice!

I don't know how women's swimming teams shake out but the B1G has three of the historically top ten men's teams (Michigan, Indiana and OSU). Anyone swimming would have to expect a greater intensity in B1G - especially since anyone who swims knows its a torture sport. Its like cycling that way but without the pretty landscapes or easy breathing. Swimming practices mostly suck from start to finish. Usually your teammates are what make things a little fun

Really, Caliknight?? How could you possibly know how strong or soft these women are, who managed to make and compete for a Div. 1 B1G team?
By your logic, the basketball players who were abused by Rice and complained about it were also soft.

Did any of them actually complain? Or was it just a leaked video?

Reactions: koleszar
In my opinion yes. And only for jumping on the train after the aftermath occurred. Never heard a peep from them before hand. Sorry but this isn't high school athletics, I think you fail to realize that aspect. You can't hack it, leave and go somewhere else. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. If your good enough somebody else will give you a scholarship. If your not this isn't UNICEF where $100k scholarships are handed out, out the kindness of their hearts.

This is what Title IV will get you. Girls competing and being recruited who years ago would have stopped sports after HS. Parents push them when they dont really want to compete any more or don't have the desire so they do it begrudgingly and then when the coach demands excellence they can't take it and meltdown.

Most guys will tell you the best coaches they had were the ones who pushed them to their limits and beyond. At the time you curse them but in the end you love them.
This situation had nothing to do with title IX. You have no clue.

That is why it was the wrong path.
No..that is why handling it the way they did was wrong.

How about releasing videos of typical practices including some that included these incidents. Barchi.. and Rutgers SURRENDERED because it was easier than putting up a fight.. that is, until they called for Barchi's resignation.

More importantly, does Petra play for my team? I need a good woman to berate me into losing weight, work harder, and stop drinking so much. :pimp:

Long breath exercises are not for the collegiate pool. As @ruhudsonfan pointed out in an offline conversation this morning, several spec ops trainees die every year during that procedure and they're surrounded by highly trained personnel.

Similarly, if there's substance to the allegations that Martin instructed her athletes to not take prescribed medications, there will be serious blowback from that.

There's a difference between being a hardass coach and being a total asshole.
That's fair... if those accusations are true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT