ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs SJU 7PM 11/19/2015

Keep this up and we will be lucky to finish middle of the pack in league play. Going on Sunday to assess in person.

I gave my opinions after the Seton Hall game. They have not changed.

My two main observations from last night are: The confusion on offense and they porous post defense (second half.)

Canty, Copper, Hollivay, Scaife and Butts have played together for two/three years. There seemed to be disagreement and lack of communication among them on offense. I will include with this their communication with the coaches during the second half offensive sets; either they didn't get it or else didn't buy into the instructions/strategy from the sideline. You could clearly see it on their faces.

As we woke up, kind of, on offense, John's kept answering our baskets with a small, quick guard slicing and dicing her way through our defense for what appeared to be uncontested layups, although she deserves credit for her impressive play. (note: this guard comes from Newark. Another player who hurt us late was the girl from Piscataway.) Think about it.

Scaife tried impossible highlight reel shots, Canty refused to shoot open shots (until it was too late) and Rachel....well, let's say we should expect more from her as a senior but I don't want to appear insensitive. But, in addition to Rachel, we missed so many layups and inside looks.

The ref's were no help, but because there were SO many calls that did not go our way I would infer that we haven't learned the new rules and haven't figured out how to draw phantom calls like our opponent seemingly did.

The minute I saw Tasha stand with St. Johns during introductions I remembered that she 'transferred' and became concerned about her knowledge of our team and our players.

It looked weird to see all of the new coaches out there; perhaps the trust and chemistry hasn't materialized between them and the upperclassmen.

I think teams are approaching our games with confidence......no one is backing down yet we haven't appeared to be up to the task.

I see no leadership on the court. On the contrary, from my seat I sense disagreement among the players, both from their attitudes and play. Just my opinion.

Half court offense: stand around, make non-deliberate passes thirty feet out, and wait until the clock winds down for Kaleah or Tyler to create a shot, with three to four defenders collapsing on them. Or, a pass into Rachel that is either dropped or resulting in a badly missed shot. Very little drives or drive and kick out.

We are not seeing any semblance of a signature Rutgers defense.

We have the talent, if you use high school rankings as a guide, that should be the envy of any team outside the top ten.

Why are we blowing so many breakaways?

Finally, I think KK Saunders is going to be a fine player, and our freshman posts seem to have a clue. Aliyah's foot needs to heal because from what I saw from the St. Josephs game, she may provide the spark and energy that could make a big difference.

Next up: a third local team that gives us fits. WHO makes this schedule????

Oops, I forgot the bullets for my bullet points. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do here at my job.

What became of the ''Jewel of the east'' .....this jewel needs mucho polish before any thoughts of dancing.

First MC1974 - thank you for the well thought out reply. I'm looking forward to seeing the team on Sunday.

Second Nicky - Really? I think it's safe to say that we all realized years ago that the "jewel of the east" hadn't materialized and never would. There's only one JOTE and I honestly don't see that changing.

65-54 with just 3:23 left

looks like Hollivay is a total no show this season
Why not attend a game before making this comment. She played very well against SHU. The new rules make it virtually impossible for us to play defense. That and Bryan Enterline and Sue Blauch don't help.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
We got down 8-0 to start the game and kept shooting ourselves in the foot (when we should have been shooting at a basket - 9-32 at one point). Same story as Monday at SHU to start the 2nd half. Defense was non-existent and when they played any, the officials made foul calls no one ever saw. Got to be ready to play at the start of games and the start of 2nd half and not dig a hole like we have done. It is still early and to paraphrase what one famous coach said, "It's not how you start in November, it's how you finish in March and April.

We finish up the run of 4 straight Catholic schools on Sunday vs Temple. Maybe some of the nay-sayers can show up and give this team some support rather than criticizing from afar.

Why not attend a game before making this comment. She played very well against SHU. The new rules make it virtually impossible for us to play defense. That and Bryan Enterline and Sue Blauch don't help.

Regarding the new rules it's up to the coaching staff to have the team ready and to be able to adapt - this team was not ready and that's on coaching. Yes, the refs don't help (and the Don Ho's doppelganger is pretty poor) but the reality is we need to expect the calls and need to find a way to work around that. Great teams find a way to win and don't worry about the refs.

As far as Rachel goes the reality is she is very inconsistent. Some games she can be stellar and others just disappears and is lackadaisical. It's too bad because she can be very good but hasn't been able to play to her potential. I have to put that in part on coaching as well since a coach should be there to motivate their players and get them to play to the best of their ability. We saw how well Kia developed during her time at Rutgers as an example.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Regarding the new rules it's up to the coaching staff to have the team ready and to be able to adapt - this team was not ready and that's on coaching. Yes, the refs don't help (and the Don Ho's doppelganger is pretty poor) but the reality is we need to expect the calls and need to find a way to work around that. Great teams find a way to win and don't worry about the refs.

As far as Rachel goes the reality is she is very inconsistent. Some games she can be stellar and others just disappears and is lackadaisical. It's too bad because she can be very good but hasn't been able to play to her potential. I have to put that in part on coaching as well since a coach should be there to motivate their players and get them to play to the best of their ability. We saw how well Kia developed during her time at Rutgers as an example.
Funny but when we were good WE got the calls...were now expected to lose. I hate to say it but the better team always seems to make their own breaks.

Reactions: Turtle31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT