ADVERTISEMENT

No. 11 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Wraps Regular Season at No. 5 Penn State

Some changes need to made on offense. I'd put everything on the table.

We have zero pizzaz or spice. We are just so easy to defend and we do nothing to work an inside game. If NASCAR isn't running than you need to be better on settled O and we are just so vanilla.

3 goals is simply not acceptable.

Thier goalie is seeing everything. It seems like the only way to beat him will be a quick release from the middle of the field otherwise his anticipation is right on.

Another losing play. Reynolds just literally runs out of bunds.

He’s a great kid and has played very well for us but that’s just gross

Reactions: Wagram97
We’re going to have to make a run in the BIG tournament. Will be tough to do on the road

See how they commit to cutters and picks when the ball is behind?

We don’t do anything like that. It’s hard to cover those situations.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
If our offense doesn't run these schemes then the defense can't really practice defending them as our scout teams won't be able to replicate.

Their goalie play is much better.

Their sticks are much slicker than ours.

Was always a tough mission but this was not expected.

Offensive play in the B1G, even missing Cameron for most of it, is just not acceptable

After improving in the 3rd the D has gotten sloppy again.
They are watching the offense sputter along and not score.

Lacrosse was the one sport we had offensive proficiency. Even sexy play.

This has been football esque

We will see how we end up but a deep dive is going to have to be made into both sides of the ball, especially offense. Our style of play 8 years ago was innovative. Now a lot of teams have taken our philosophy and have implemented pieces of it, especially in regards to running. It’s no longer innovative and has gotten stale.

We also need better players. We have a few dudes but we need more. We’ve had a number of them over the years but we need a few slick Canadiens who can finish inside. We are desperately missing a real inside presence.

But there are clearly bigger issues. There is a lot of care and interest in this program. I’m confident Brian will do what needs to be done. He won’t settle for this given our success especially the last couple of seasons.

We lack speed and talent.
I don’t know the game that well, but I can see enough to know we’re not very good

We will see how we end up but a deep dive is going to have to be made into both sides of the ball, especially offense. Our style of play 8 years ago was innovative. Now a lot of teams have taken our philosophy and have implemented pieces of it, especially in regards to running. It’s no longer innovative and has gotten stale.

We also need better players. We have a few dudes but we need more. We’ve had a number of them over the years but we need a few slick Canadiens who can finish inside. We are desperately missing a real inside presence.

But there are clearly bigger issues. There is a lot of care and interest in this program. I’m confident Brian will do what needs to be done. He won’t settle for this given our success especially the last couple of seasons.

We lack speed and talent.
I don’t know the game that well, but I can see enough to know we’re not very good

Ross has speed to spare, Knobloch has a loads of talent and Kulas could (and was for part of the season) that Canadian finisher. There's more talent elsewhere. So what:s the issue? I actually see two. First, the lack of a "horse" at attack with Cameron out. 2021 was Kirst. 2022 was Bartolo. Without Cameron, 2023 is nada. Second, the lack of unsettled situations created by the rope unit in '21 and '22. Unsettled situations is what made the RU offense dangerous. In settled situations, this team is not skilled enough with skip passes and backside cuts to keep pace on the Big 10.

Lost 4 out of last 5. Fortunate to beat UM in OT. But, we did go to to the Final Four last year. So, there's that.

The kids are taking ownership.

We wouldn’t have won that game but I don’t think I’ve seen a game where we’ve hit that many pipes.

I’m off the ledge a little bit. It’s been a rough year or at least half of it.

It’s a new season now. Let’s see how the kids respond

Not an excuse, but team lost a ton of talent from last year. Maybe it was too much confidence in thinking the team was going to be able to replicate that elite attack from last year. Last years top 5 had 277 points and this year it was 167 points (though last year had extra games). But think of even Gallagher, he was #6 in points last year with 31. This year it was Sprock in 6th place with only 13 points. Big drop off.

Also, Scott and Knoblock both had big drops in pts, mostly from opposing teams focusing on them, but at the season end last year (prior to playoffs), Scott had 57 pts and this year its 38 pts.

One more game to watch, let's see what happens.

Not an excuse, but team lost a ton of talent from last year. Maybe it was too much confidence in thinking the team was going to be able to replicate that elite attack from last year. Last years top 5 had 277 points and this year it was 167 points (though last year had extra games). But think of even Gallagher, he was #6 in points last year with 31. This year it was Sprock in 6th place with only 13 points. Big drop off.

Also, Scott and Knoblock both had big drops in pts, mostly from opposing teams focusing on them, but at the season end last year (prior to playoffs), Scott had 57 pts and this year its 38 pts.

One more game to watch, let's see what happens.

I think you have to take into account the opportunities created by last year's rope unit to score those points

I think you have to take into account the opportunities created by last year's rope unit to score those points
Agree 100%.

If you want to be a glass half full fan, could even think the team overachieved given all the losses in talent from last year. From the elite attack to the rope unit that was lost from last year.

Yet with all those losses in key personnel, I still believe that had Cameron stayed healthy, we'd have beat OSU and maybe pulled out that win at JHU (we were up by 2 goals in the 3rd before the offense ran out of gas).

Reactions: mattkamish
Tough to win at the highest level. This team lost a ton of talent last year and a lot of “glue guys”….guys that were not stars but got it done week after week…

I’ve posted that success is not linear. You have periods of success and then steps back…clearly this year has been a step back, but the last two years were massive steps forward for this program.

Teams, even historic powers don’t make the field every year…Hop, Syracuse, and others miss the tourney…It’s very hard to make it…

I think this program is still on the rise…do they need to elevate recruiting, yes…but it’s time to look at what’s reasonable in terms of expectations over given time periods…

I think making the NCAA 2 times every 4-5 years is a realistic expectation…need to understand the landscape and the realities of the parity in this sport…

These kids are trying…they lost a lot of horses last year…turns out there were too many holes to fill after 2 great years…

Kids will go compete next week…see what happens.

The rope unit last year was elite. Very good individual players but the sum of the parts was even greater…they were so good in the clear game (tops in the nation)…they very rarely made mental errors, they were physically superior and could be left on islands defensively…and we have not even started talking about the fact that they all were highly skilled offensive talents…they were disruptive to the other teams…

When the dust settles this year, you can point to the losses of Bartolo. Jacoby, and Kirst as the big name losses…but the short stick unit was collectively as good as any unit RU has had…

I’m rooting for an RU run next week…cheers to hoping they can dig in and find something…and if they don’t, I thank them all, as most of them were part of our success the last two years…great young men

If the fans are expecting the rope unit to score the coaches need to give them permission to do so. There is no effort to do so outside of #21 which makes me believe they’ve been told to get the ball out of their sticks. Can’t tell me they don’t want to score. We really only have one SSDM who can lock down on defense and he’s playing out of position. Other than #32, I’m more concerned about the SSDM defense, forget putting the ball in the net. Frustrating game. Offense isn’t helping the defense and vice versa. Total break down tonight. Need a run in the B1G tournament.

The rope unit last year was elite. Very good individual players but the sum of the parts was even greater…they were so good in the clear game (tops in the nation)…they very rarely made mental errors, they were physically superior and could be left on islands defensively…and we have not even started talking about the fact that they all were highly skilled offensive talents…they were disruptive to the other teams…

When the dust settles this year, you can point to the losses of Bartolo. Jacoby, and Kirst as the big name losses…but the short stick unit was collectively as good as any unit RU has had…

I’m rooting for an RU run next week…cheers to hoping they can dig in and find something…and if they don’t, I thank them all, as most of them were part of our success the last two years…great young men
I just recall all those turnovers they caused, and if they broke free, you just knew it was going to be a goal. Think last year to that JHU game, with Franckowiak causing that TO and then quickly scoring the goal - completely took the air out of JHU.

If the fans are expecting the rope unit to score the coaches need to give them permission to do so. There is no effort to do so outside of #21 which makes me believe they’ve been told to get the ball out of their sticks. Can’t tell me they don’t want to score. We really only have one SSDM who can lock down on defense and he’s playing out of position. Other than #32, I’m more concerned about the SSDM defense, forget putting the ball in the net. Frustrating game. Offense isn’t helping the defense and vice versa. Total break down tonight. Need a run in the B1G tournament.
They have the green light it’s part of our system. But they have to want to and have the confidence.

Decker came from a very defensive system. Machecha is a freshman. Reynolds is a converted LSM.

Our guys last year were dudes that played a ton of games in our system. They were also very good offensive players before switching to SSDM. We had two offensive middies that were converted, a former starting attackman, and Franco who was probably the best overall athlete on the team.

They made tons of offensive plays because they were very comfortable doing it.

Outside of 21 we just don’t have guys that can do that.

I hope this team pulls it together to make a run. There needs to be a shake up on staff. As cali said earlier the o is stale. There is no innovation. On O everyone stands around and waits around for someone to make a play. Without elite talent that won’t work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT