ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

I look at it like if there's smoke, there's usually fire. Definitely a weird set of circumstances of how things went down.
But I'm also looking at it like our fanbase is growing up, as is the university. How?

At most of these big schools, things like this get talked about ad nauseum with the fans (we're 20 pages in), yet the media, admin, school etc. don't say much and eventually it goes away, all in the name of reputation preservation (both for the accused party, school and athletics dept).

Now that we're in the B1G and established as a respectable, and hopefully soon, top tier program, we're starting to act like our contemporizes. This would be a mere blip for Buckeye. Michigan wouldn't even blink an eye? USC... they have bigger fish to fry.

Like them, it looks like Rutgers has the "onward and upward" view of things. Wish Pat well, release a Friday drop so the story gets buried on the weekend, and stay silent afterwards as the season is fast approaching and fans are more concerned with on field performance vs. Pat's alleged misdeeds.

Welcome to B1G time college athletics my friends.... it's been a long time coming!

Reactions: RCBeta79
Holloway certainly wished him well in the first sentence of his release.

Everyone on this thread is so severely overthinking this.

Which part are you talking about? I only saw the quote in the press release which started with “I want to thank Pat for his remarkable 9-year tenure”. Did I miss another part where he wished him well with his future / health? I easily could have but I did search around and couldn’t find anything else.

I look at it like if there's smoke, there's usually fire. Definitely a weird set of circumstances of how things went down.
But I'm also looking at it like our fanbase is growing up, as is the university. How?

At most of these big schools, things like this get talked about ad nauseum with the fans (we're 20 pages in), yet the media, admin, school etc. don't say much and eventually it goes away, all in the name of reputation preservation (both for the accused party, school and athletics dept).

Now that we're in the B1G and established as a respectable, and hopefully soon, top tier program, we're starting to act like our contemporizes. This would be a mere blip for Buckeye. Michigan wouldn't even blink an eye? USC... they have bigger fish to fry.

Like them, it looks like Rutgers has the "onward and upward" view of things. Wish Pat well, release a Friday drop so the story gets buried on the weekend, and stay silent afterwards as the season is fast approaching and fans are more concerned with on field performance vs. Pat's alleged misdeeds.

Welcome to B1G time college athletics my friends.... it's been a long time coming!
But there is no smoke. People made assumptions there’s smoke.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
But there is no smoke. People made assumptions there’s smoke.

There’s no smoke, but as much of a douche as Politi is - his comment that there have been golf coaches who got more proper send offs than Hobbs is spot on. Anyone who disagrees is just in denial.

It’s certainly possible Hobbs didn’t want a big fuss - the trip to Ireland could be about escaping the reality of his medical issues for a few weeks or whatever. Maybe Pat didn’t want to address the public - no ceremony or event isn’t necessarily weird either. But the Friday news dump and basically just a sentence or two spoken about by our president in written press release? If that was intentional per Pat’s wishes there’s really no good reason that wouldn’t have been communicated - something like: “out of respect for Pat’s wishes we will refrain from saying anything further at this time but that doesn’t take away from our gratitude for all Pat did for RU”. Look - even if that was an oversight - after Politi’s article came out with questions about the circumstances - at that point a statement like that still could’ve been released to wipe out the noise. That didn’t happen.

And also, Pat, came out himself and revealed the health issues. It’s clearly not a secret.

Last edited:
Which part are you talking about? I only saw the quote in the press release which started with “I want to thank Pat for his remarkable 9-year tenure”. Did I miss another part where he wished him well with his future / health? I easily could have but I did search around and couldn’t find anything else.

Yes. As I said above, first sentence of a statement he made.

“I know you share my best wishes for Pat as he prioritizes his health,”

Yes. As I said above, first sentence of a statement he made.

“I know you share my best wishes for Pat as he prioritizes his health,”

Is the whole statement available somewhere? I didn’t see that as it wasn’t in the articles with the quoted statements.

That’s more in line with the approach taken by Greg and Pike at least. But this is going to come to a head. Either something else will eventually come out, we will do something additional to honor Pat, or some kind of explanation for downplaying the departure out of respect for Pat’s wishes will come out publicly. It won’t end with unanswered questions hanging over Pat’s legacy like a dark cloud from that SL article.

Last edited:
“I know you share my best wishes for Pat as he prioritizes his health. I want to thank Pat for his remarkable nine-year tenure at Rutgers, during which we have seen our men’s and women’s teams become leaders and successfully compete in the Big Ten – both on and off the field”

I think the poster was referring to when are you going to reveal all the facts you have to backup all your posts? When is the big reveal coming according to you?
I’ve revealed all I know. Pretty well documented in this thread. Idk anything about any SL article, just about the affair. Bye bud.

Reactions: Fake Sellout
I’ve revealed all I know. Pretty well documented in this thread. Idk anything about any SL article, just about the affair. Bye bud.

Can you reveal how you know this? Would be a pretty big story that one of the states highest paying employees had an affair with a subordinate.

What do you think the media is waiting on? If you know this info obviously others do to I’d assume.?

No prob. I also think that line is pretty telling and indicates it may not be an issue he’s fighting now. But more like taking a dr. recomndation..

That’s an interesting point. It also opens up other plausible, but non-scandalous possibilities that could explain the less than warm and fuzzy departure terms. If Hobbs had known about this for a while and kept it to himself, then suddenly dumped it on us right before the season - I could see how RU (while concerned for Pat’s well being) also might feel like he screwed us over.

Maybe avoid this thread altogether if that’s what you want? The title indicates exactly what discussion will entail.

are you a Rutgers fan?

If so I ask you what good does this thread do if you truly have the best interest of the university and its athletic department at heart?

Answer that question for me

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
are you a Rutgers fan?

If so I ask you what good does this thread do if you truly have the best interest of the university and its athletic department at heart?

Answer that question for me
We, as taxpayers, are paying Hobbs (and every Rutgers athletics person's) salary
We, as fans, are invested into this program, both emotionally and monetarily
Hence, we, as both taxpayers and fans, have the right to know the details of a public figure, whom takes our paychecks from us

*** With that being said, I couldn't care less what he did not didn't do - my only concern (in regard to this situation) is this does not affect our ability to compete at an elite level, and ultimately... winning

I think the poster was referring to when are you going to reveal all the facts you have to backup all your posts? When is the big reveal coming according to you?

Only great inside info it seems you revealed came from Reddit...Or did I miss something else? Subway???

We, as taxpayers, are paying Hobbs (and every Rutgers athletics person's) salary
We, as fans, are invested into this program, both emotionally and monetarily
Hence, we, as both taxpayers and fans, have the right to know the details of a public figure, whom takes our paychecks from us

*** With that being said, I couldn't care less what he did not didn't do - my only concern (in regard to this situation) is this does not affect our ability to compete at an elite level, and ultimately... winning

Keep telling yourself that.

I think Rutgers fans that are spinning conspiracy theories are only potentially doing harm to the program they CLAIM to support

It’s long been speculated (proven?) that certain members of the local press (who are not friends of RU sports!!) have looked to this board for ideas

Why potentially feed it to them ?!?!

You’re doing it cause you’re a “taxpayer”.
Puhleaze!!! If there is really something to this the RU-hating local press WILL find out. But why possibly help them?!?!!

I understand why the few trolls on here would do that … but why RU fans would engage in this is simply beyond me.

RU fans doing so are simply seeking personal attention. If you’re honest with yourself you’d realize that’s why you’re REALLY doing it (“look how smart I am”). That’s REALLY the reason

Last edited:

I think Rutgers fans that are spinning conspiracy theories are only potentially doing harm to the program they CLAIM to support

It’s long been speculated (proven?) that certain members of the local press (who are not friends of RU sports!!) have looked to this board for ideas

Puhleaze!!! If there is really something to this the RU-hating local press WILL find out. But why possibly help them?!?!!

I understand why the few trolls on here would do that … but why RU fans would engage in this is simply beyond me.

RU fans doing so are simply seeking personal attention. If you’re honest with yourself you’d realize that’s why you’re REALLY doing it (“look how smart I am”). That’s REALLY the reason

Okay - that’s fine. Your entitled to your opinion. That doesn’t make those of us who are concerned about the dark cloud loose end of Politi’s article that’s hovering over this situation like a time bomb worse fans than you. As I said - you don’t have to engage in discussion about Hobb’s abrupt resignation if you don’t want to. It’s mostly confined to this thread which is clearly titled as such.

I for one - agree with Jay. If the truth ends up being some version of the Reddit story, I don’t think it’s that bad for Rutgers so I’d rather it just come out in the open now, get it over with and move on. The unknown always worries me as with RU there’s a history of bad news rolling out at the worst times possible. Again - if your able to convince yourself that the everything about university’s reaction makes perfect sense - good for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fake Sellout
if your able to convince yourself that the everything about university’s reaction makes perfect sense - good for you.

Not my point . Never has been.

In fact I really don’t think there are too many people on here claiming that the unrolling of this was normal. It hasnt been. But really (maybe with one or two exceptions?) no one is saying otherwise.

The only argument I see is the lack of evidence. Has there been any PROOF of ANYTHING?’ No. Thus it’s all speculation based off how people think the university SHOULD have done it.

Thus I continue my claim that the only reason people like you continue to try to “connect the dots” is your own personal desire to come off as smart. If you were honest with yourself you’d admit it.

We get it. The way it transpired was weird.

If there were other reasons the RU hating local media WILL find out

But WHY potentially give them ideas … just so you can look smart (in your own mind)

Maybe
Maybe not

Like I said, all I care about is winning
I'd prefer this all get swept under the rug as we the potential for a monster fb season, and don't need AD issues distracting GS & Co.

The only person who thinks he is smart is the pearl clutching idiot who goes on a college football board and posts a lecture about someone's ulterior motives for talking trash on a trash talking thread.

Go get a life Oprah.

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
I have an odd question.. and let's generalize it rather than making it specifically about this situation.. assuming there is a scandal involving a 9-year AD who abruptly retires... do you think it is handled differently if he did a good job vs a poor job? That is.. if you do a good enough job, if you build up a cache of good-will, do you get some protection from scandal where if you were some incompetent who somehow held onto his job 9 years, do all teh tongues wag on your way out?

I for one - agree with Jay. If the truth ends up being some version of the Reddit story, I don’t think it’s that bad for Rutgers so I’d rather it just come out in the open now, get it over with and move on.

Generally speaking if something scandalous had occurred and has since ceased you are probably better off distancing yourself from the event with time instead of "getting it over with".

Look at it from the perspective of media who want to sell clicks by creating a viral story, which of the two below scenarios will create more of a sensation?

1. RU AD Resigns, RU president doesn't give a genuine enough thank you, an affair is immediately exposed, the media can now extrapolate that there must be something unruly happening in the RU athletic department and we must call for immediate investigations, uncover more facts, publish more articles, create an anti RU fever, generate more ad revenue.

or

2. RU AD Resigns, RU president doesn't give a genuine enough thank you, an affair is exposed 8 months later. Assuming there is no further scandal within the 8 month period and RU athletics stays a good path, the passage of time dilutes the impact and it is harder for the media to inflate the ramifications of the event as there may not have been any.

Generally speaking if something scandalous had occurred and has since ceased you are probably better off distancing yourself from the event with time instead of "getting it over with".

Look at it from the perspective of media who want to sell clicks by creating a viral story, which of the two below scenarios will create more of a sensation?

1. RU AD Resigns, RU president doesn't give a genuine enough thank you, an affair is immediately exposed, the media can now extrapolate that there must be something unruly happening in the RU athletic department and we must call for immediate investigations, uncover more facts, publish more articles, create an anti RU fever, generate more ad revenue.

or

2. RU AD Resigns, RU president doesn't give a genuine enough thank you, an affair is exposed 8 months later. Assuming there is no further scandal within the 8 month period and RU athletics stays a good path, the passage of time dilutes the impact and it is harder for the media to inflate the ramifications of the event as there may not have been any.
No pub is bad pub (generally speaking)
If this goes national, which there's no reason for it to, it gives us more publicity

Publicity is powerful and we are creating it on the positive side with projections in Basketball and Football so personal preference is not to taint it with scandal.
I'd rather no scandal and wins
But wins typically have some sort of scandal associated with them

Look at all of the successful programs
I can't think of one who doesn't have some sort of drama

Maybe
Maybe not

Like I said, all I care about is winning
I'd prefer this all get swept under the rug as we the potential for a monster fb season, and don't need AD issues distracting GS & Co.

Agreed. Except my opinion is these things are rarely swept under the rug permanently and this likely won’t be the first time. I don’t want a distraction looming either which is why I’m hoping for something to just come out that will officially put any questions to bed one way or the other.

I could care less about being “right” about anything. I haven’t even predicted anything about what might of happened beyond Hobbs having health issues so I’m not sure what I would even be right about.

Agreed. Except my opinion is these things are rarely swept under the rug permanently and this likely won’t be the first time. I don’t want a distraction looming either which is why I’m hoping for something to just come out that will officially put any questions to bed one way or the other.

I could care less about being “right” about anything. I haven’t even predicted anything about what might of happened beyond Hobbs having health issues so I’m not sure what I would even be right about.
Yep
I'd love to be wrong about the "smoke fire" theory - just want to win and win big

Too many people in this country have forgotten how to mind their own business.

As fans, as students and graduates and as tax payers, isn't it our business? What he does or doesn't do really isn't interesting. It isn''t about his personal life. It's about whether there was a potential rule violation that could affect the team (and other teams). It's about an athletic director who was friendly to certain sports that many Athletic directors are not (wrestling fans anyone?). Its a big deal having to find a replacement. He was highly successful. If anything, I think the interest in his leaving shows he was well respected, even if a select few have been disrespectful of him on a personal level. Most just seem surprised and perplexed by how it went down.

He gone, it's done. Now we and tge slimy local media are going to get to the bottom of the nothingburger because we're taxpayers?
Jeff Bridges Reaction GIF

As fans, as students and graduates and as tax payers, isn't it our business? What he does or doesn't do really isn't interesting. It isn''t about his personal life. It's about whether there was a potential rule violation that could affect the team (and other teams). It's about an athletic director who was friendly to certain sports that many Athletic directors are not (wrestling fans anyone?). Its a big deal having to find a replacement. He was highly successful. If anything, I think the interest in his leaving shows he was well respected, even if a select few have been disrespectful of him on a personal level. Most just seem surprised and perplexed by how it went down.
No.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT