ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Which part are you talking about? I only saw the quote in the press release which started with “I want to thank Pat for his remarkable 9-year tenure”. Did I miss another part where he wished him well with his future / health? I easily could have but I did search around and couldn’t find anything else.
My goodness ,you actually believe that Halloway did not indicate his well wishes to Hobbs (or was insincere) when he wished him the best as he prioritized his health issues?

Last edited:
My goodness ,you actually believe that Halloway did not indicate his well wishes to Hobbs (or was insincere) when he wished him the best as he prioritized his health issues? " I know you share my best wishes.... "

Okay - that’s fine. Your entitled to your opinion. That doesn’t make those of us who are concerned about the dark cloud loose end of Politi’s article that’s hovering over this situation like a time bomb worse fans than you. As I said - you don’t have to engage in discussion about Hobb’s abrupt resignation if you don’t want to. It’s mostly confined to this thread which is clearly titled as such.

I for one - agree with Jay. If the truth ends up being some version of the Reddit story, I don’t think it’s that bad for Rutgers so I’d rather it just come out in the open now, get it over with and move on. The unknown always worries me as with RU there’s a history of bad news rolling out at the worst times possible. Again - if your able to convince yourself that the everything about university’s reaction makes perfect sense - good for you.

You keep referring to this as a time bomb. Not sure why all the hand wringing. What exactly do you think will happen as the worst case scenario cause I'm not seeing a problem here? He either left on his own for personal reasons....or.....RU asked him to leave due to something like improper behavior/actions.

Logic would dictate that there is more to the story. However I don't really understand some people's obsession with needing or demanding to know all the facts immediately.

Hobbs and Jimbo Fisher both in Ireland at the same time… that spells trouble!!

is Pat and Jimbo an "item" now ???????????????
as for rumor of retirement not being health related proved a fact
waiting-skeleton.gif

Last edited:
You keep referring to this as a time bomb. Not sure why all the hand wringing. What exactly do you think will happen as the worst case scenario cause I'm not seeing a problem here? He either left on his own for personal reasons....or.....RU asked him to leave due to something like improper behavior/actions.

Logic would dictate that there is more to the story. However I don't really understand some people's obsession with needing or demanding to know all the facts immediately.
It's pretty Politi/SL-like behavior.

As fans, as students and graduates and as tax payers, isn't it our business? What he does or doesn't do really isn't interesting. It isn''t about his personal life. It's about whether there was a potential rule violation that could affect the team (and other teams). It's about an athletic director who was friendly to certain sports that many Athletic directors are not (wrestling fans anyone?). Its a big deal having to find a replacement. He was highly successful. If anything, I think the interest in his leaving shows he was well respected, even if a select few have been disrespectful of him on a personal level. Most just seem surprised and perplexed by how it went down.
Posts that discuss his contributions to the school in his job of AD are fine. Posts that wish him well are fine.

But that's not what the majority of posts in this 20+ page thread are about. Mostly it's pointless speculation and gossip. With more pointless speculation and gossip built on top of the earlier pointless speculation and gossip. There's never a valid justification for that kind of behavior.

His retirement doesn't materially affect the lives of anybody posting in this thread. It's just a bunch of bored people entertaining themselves at Hobb's expense by prying into his private life. He wasn't hired as a priest. He didn't campaign for his job on "family values" or personal virtuousness.

This thread quickly became nothing more than a trial by media. And the man hasn't even been publicly accused of any wrongdoing by anybody with valid standing to do so.

Whatever happened or didn't happen, a new AD will be hired and life will go on for everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT