ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Hobbs has something to hide and that's why he retired
(is now )
from an alleged affair tied to the gymnastics program to complaints about Hobbs protecting the coach?
Is that what this thread is about now , according to what I could read in that article .
To be fair, that was the rumor on Reddit the day Hobbs retired. This is not brand new today.

Reactions: MrsScrew
(is now )
from an alleged affair tied to the gymnastics program to complaints about Hobbs protecting the coach?
Is that what this thread is about now , according to what I could read in that article .
"With a 2-43 team record, the program has lowest winning percentage in Big Ten competition of any Rutgers team sport in the past five years. Rutgers finished last in the regular season standings four times in the past five years and finished ninth or worse in the 10-team Big Ten Tournament field in five of the last six seasons."

"The poor record hasn’t affected Salim-Beasley’s salary, which has doubled since the start of her tenure in May 2018, when she earned $95,000 annually. For the 2023-24 season, she earned $190,000 between her base salary of $165,000 and a $25,000 retention bonus."

Does make you wonder, especially with the number of complaints from athletes.

When I grow up, I want to be a crappy college athletics coach, and double my pay when I perform poorly. What a racket.

"With a 2-43 team record, the program has lowest winning percentage in Big Ten competition of any Rutgers team sport in the past five years. Rutgers finished last in the regular season standings four times in the past five years and finished ninth or worse in the 10-team Big Ten Tournament field in five of the last six seasons."

"The poor record hasn’t affected Salim-Beasley’s salary, which has doubled since the start of her tenure in May 2018, when she earned $95,000 annually. For the 2023-24 season, she earned $190,000 between her base salary of $165,000 and a $25,000 retention bonus."

When I grow up, I want to be a crappy college athletics coach, and double my pay when I perform poorly. What a racket.
This right here is very telling. Who keeps their job after a five year record of basically not winning at all and coming in last place every year. On top of that you receive pay raises? How is this even possible (pssst...it's not too hard to figure out folks)?

Reactions: MrsScrew
This right here is very telling. Who keeps their job after a five year record of basically not winning at all and coming in last place every year. On top of that you receive pay raises? How is this even possible (pssst...it's not too hard to figure out folks)?
Who cares.

At the FSU v. Ga Tech game? Interviewing for the FSU AD position in anticipation of them canning their football coach and AD when they go 5-7 this year?
I actually would not mind Hobbs as Alford’s second in command.

He has a lot of experience dealing with facilities, and with the upcoming Doak renovation, as well as the Howser and Graf Renos on deck as well, would be a huge asset

Plus, he won’t get taxed on his Social Security, pensions, and there’s no state income tax, and avoid those dreadful, dreary, depressing Jersey winters

It’ll be a win-win for everyone!!

Maybe hobbs was having affair with ash too when he tweeted at cbs sports . Or when he kept him employed

Funny how whenever paying athletes comes up it’s always “ADs lose money! They can’t afford to add athlete compensation! We operate in the red!!”

But then all these “in the red” athletic department always seem to find the money needed to keep upping everyone else’s compensation (head coaches, assistant coaches, major sports, minor sports, athletic directors).

This may not go over well on this board, but overall IMHO the nj.com guys get a bad rap on this board. The gymnastics program issues were hinted at several months ago, but not in this level of detail. The new article stated a lot of facts and first-hand accounts and allows the reader to draw their own conclusion. My conclusion is that the heat started to get turned up when one parent called the NCAA and when Szul - who sounds like a bit of a bad actor himself in this - has his own problems as Athletic Dept COO. And then to learn that he is the sport administrator (each sport has one in the dept) for of all sports - you guessed it - the gymnastics team!!!! The mouse was apparently guarding the cheese. My guess was that when the NCAA rang the doorbell and Holloway saw the fact pattern, plus with the greatest gymnast who ever lived Simone Biles' publicity around mental illness and how it needs to be handled, Hobbs' heart issue suddenly got a helluva lot more serious.

Two other things:

1) Personally I don't have a clue if Hobbs had some inappropriate relationship with this coach that colored his judgement. The facts are enough to send him packing without it, and if it happened it will surely come out, because as we know people just can't keep their mouth shut. However - - - nj.com didn't write or insinuate it. It lives in the rumor mill.

2) The other common criticism is that nj.com always bashes RU and that the media in Alabama would never do anything like that to the Crimson Tide (or Ohio, or Kentucky, or Mississippi, or Arkansas, or etc etc etc). I think the "other places" part of that is absolutely true. News flash though folks: we live in the biggest, brightest, loudest media market on EARTH folks, deal with it.

Juicy

"According to contracts obtained by NJ Advance Media, Salim-Beasley is tied for the third-highest base salary in the Big Ten, and she earned $20,000 more than Michigan State head coach Mike Rowe, who led the Spartans to a conference title last season.
In the meantime, the program earned just $257,330 in revenue during the 2022-23 academic year, the third-lowest total in the Big Ten. It spent $209,493 in game-day expenses alone."

"
The gymnasts allege Salim-Beasley was unsympathetic toward athletes who experienced mental health issues and physical injuries, tried to take retribution on gymnasts who raised concerns about her coaching methods, and kept churning a roster consistently among the biggest and least successful in the Big Ten.
The former gymnasts said Hobbs was dismissive when they sought help from him, yet at the same time they noted that Hobbs was a frequent visitor to team meets, practices and events, and appeared to take an unusual interest in the program."

Perfect example of a sport that should be canned…what a worthless drain…spend that money on a real sport like baseball…

Last edited:
good god that article is longer than an RU#s snowstorm forecast. It appears that some gymnasts have mental health issues which should surprise absolutely no one, but doesn't sound like the coach was very good at handling the issues.
Yeah, that is pretty freakin' long. At least I add some graphics to break up the text, lol. To summarize: our gymnastics coach sucks and Hobbs was interested in gymnastics and other Olympic sports. Shut the university down, lol.

(is now )
Yes, Hobbs rebutted any allegations by the athletes against the gymnastics coach. I wonder why?

Since this thread is already full of rumors and minimal facts, I'm going with the following theory:

Gov Murphy made a call for his buddy Hobbs, convinced the Ledger to tone it down and let the guy step into retirement gracefully.

Gov and Hobbs seemed pretty well connected at the hoops games over the last few years and the media likes to be influenced by politicians. All those court side seats Murphy got last few years paid off.

"
The gymnasts allege Salim-Beasley was unsympathetic toward athletes who experienced mental health issues and physical injuries, tried to take retribution on gymnasts who raised concerns about her coaching methods, and kept churning a roster consistently among the biggest and least successful in the Big Ten.
The former gymnasts said Hobbs was dismissive when they sought help from him, yet at the same time they noted that Hobbs was a frequent visitor to team meets, practices and events, and appeared to take an unusual interest in the program."
Wonder why…

In Hobbs' defense, if students were complaining that their coach was abusive ... and then Hobbs started showing a much bigger interest in the team and spending a lot more time around the team ... well, that's exactly what he should be doing as AD. For the students to then bitch and start a rumor (without providing any additional evidence) that Hobbs was having an affair with the abusive coach is frankly despicable.

Last edited:
In Hobbs' defense, if students were complaining that their coach was abusive ... and then Hobbs started showing an much bigger interest in the team and spending a lot more time around the team ... well, that's exactly what he should be doing as AD. For the students to then bitch and start a rumor (without providing any additional evidence) that Hobbs was having an affair with the abusive coach is frankly despicable.
Good point

Reactions: Knight Shift
She said she reached out to Rutgers President Jonathan Holloway’s office multiple times via phone and email in June, informing them that a coach on staff was “using bullying and intimidation techniques with now former athletes.” She said she did not receive a response from Holloway or any Rutgers official. Not sure why Holloway ignored claims of abuse especially in this day of age.

In Hobbs' defense, if students were complaining that their coach was abusive ... and then Hobbs started showing an much bigger interest in the team and spending a lot more time around the team ... well, that's exactly what he should be doing as AD. For the students to then bitch and start a rumor (without providing any additional evidence) that Hobbs was having an affair with the abusive coach is frankly despicable.
Dismissive to players raising alarming concerns is a dereliction of duty. Shame on him. Yet paid unusual increased attention to the program by attending meets , events , etc. okey-dokey.

Juicy

"According to contracts obtained by NJ Advance Media, Salim-Beasley is tied for the third-highest base salary in the Big Ten, and she earned $20,000 more than Michigan State head coach Mike Rowe, who led the Spartans to a conference title last season.
In the meantime, the program earned just $257,330 in revenue during the 2022-23 academic year, the third-lowest total in the Big Ten. It spent $209,493 in game-day expenses alone."
It's a lot more expensive to live in NJ than MI. Rutgers has to pay more than other places for coaches in other sports for cost of living adjustment.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
However that doesn't explain this part:

Gymnasts said that when they met with Hobbs and made allegations against Salim-Beasley, they were rebuffed, and that Hobbs was quick to defend the coach, without giving consideration to their accusations, they said.

One gymnast who also requested anonomity told NJ Advance Media "He would keep showing up at our team bonding nights, which we thought was odd, especially the time he brought red RU thongs, and also had one for Coach Beasley."

She said she reached out to Rutgers President Jonathan Holloway’s office multiple times via phone and email in June, informing them that a coach on staff was “using bullying and intimidation techniques with now former athletes.” She said she did not receive a response from Holloway or any Rutgers official. Not sure why Holloway ignored claims of abuse especially in this day of age.
Boo hoo, that's not Holloway's job. There is a compliance department that handles these issues.

However that doesn't explain this part:

Gymnasts said that when they met with Hobbs and made allegations against Salim-Beasley, they were rebuffed, and that Hobbs was quick to defend the coach, without giving consideration to their accusations, they said.

One gymnast who also requested anonomity told NJ Advance Media "He would keep showing up at our team bonding nights, which we thought was odd, especially the time he brought red RU thongs, and also had one for Coach Beasley."
Sounds like bullshit to me, but if it is true, surely NJ Advance Media could find at least one other participant on the team who could confirm this? You're telling me a whole team of of 20 year old girls were bought thong underwear by their 60 year old male boss as gifts and nobody told their parents and it wasn't all over Twitter and Instagram (and then ESPN) the next day?

Sounds like bullshit to me, but if it is true, surely NJ Advance Media could find at least one other participant on the team who could confirm this? You're telling me a whole team of of 20 year old girls were bought thong underwear by their 60 year old male boss as gifts and nobody told their parents and it wasn't all over Twitter and Instagram (and then ESPN) the next day?
Yep seems like fonseca is fishing

There is nothing the article about team nights or thongs. Toby is making shit up

This may not go over well on this board, but overall IMHO the nj.com guys get a bad rap on this board. The gymnastics program issues were hinted at several months ago, but not in this level of detail. The new article stated a lot of facts and first-hand accounts and allows the reader to draw their own conclusion. My conclusion is that the heat started to get turned up when one parent called the NCAA and when Szul - who sounds like a bit of a bad actor himself in this - has his own problems as Athletic Dept COO. And then to learn that he is the sport administrator (each sport has one in the dept) for of all sports - you guessed it - the gymnastics team!!!! The mouse was apparently guarding the cheese. My guess was that when the NCAA rang the doorbell and Holloway saw the fact pattern, plus with the greatest gymnast who ever lived Simone Biles' publicity around mental illness and how it needs to be handled, Hobbs' heart issue suddenly got a helluva lot more serious.

Two other things:

1) Personally I don't have a clue if Hobbs had some inappropriate relationship with this coach that colored his judgement. The facts are enough to send him packing without it, and if it happened it will surely come out, because as we know people just can't keep their mouth shut. However - - - nj.com didn't write or insinuate it. It lives in the rumor mill.

2) The other common criticism is that nj.com always bashes RU and that the media in Alabama would never do anything like that to the Crimson Tide (or Ohio, or Kentucky, or Mississippi, or Arkansas, or etc etc etc). I think the "other places" part of that is absolutely true. News flash though folks: we live in the biggest, brightest, loudest media market on EARTH folks, deal with it.
Glad you are not in charge. Wow.

Reactions: Leonard23
Dismissive to players raising alarming concerns is a dereliction of duty. Shame on him. Yet paid unusual increased attention to the program by attending meets , events , etc. okey-dokey.
You believe everything you read in the news? What about the other side of the story that the claims were fully investigated and seemed to be within merit. You don't believe that?

Reactions: Leonard23

Two other things:

New Jersey isn't the largest, brightest media market on Earth. NJ.com covers NJ.

Really has nothing to do with this.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Who knows the real facts. Maybe people with a grudge are speculating or assuming stuff since they're not getting their way ? Jumping to conclusions around here is typical. Found it interesting that Hobbs made a statement refuting stuff in article. In any event this kind of stuff seems pretty common with athletes. Heck it happens in high school with coaches and complaining players ( not the unsubstantiated sex stuff). Board of Ed's spend lots of time on this kind of thing .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT