ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

Sounds like bullshit to me, but if it is true, surely NJ Advance Media could find at least one other participant on the team who could confirm this? You're telling me a whole team of of 20 year old girls were bought thong underwear by their 60 year old male boss as gifts and nobody told their parents and it wasn't all over Twitter and Instagram (and then ESPN) the next day?
Is the CE board chess team practice over already?

She said she reached out to Rutgers President Jonathan Holloway’s office multiple times via phone and email in June, informing them that a coach on staff was “using bullying and intimidation techniques with now former athletes.” She said she did not receive a response from Holloway or any Rutgers official. Not sure why Holloway ignored claims of abuse especially in this day of age.
She should have told Holloway the coach wasn't vaxxed.

Maybe hobbs was having affair with ash too when he tweeted at cbs sports . Or when he kept him employed
Ummmm....Ash wasn't bullying his players or having multiple players go to the school for help. When 7-8 girls are complaining out of 23 there must be smoke. Also, the buyout for the gymnastics coach is not even close to what the football coach would get. There could've been grounds to not even pay her.

New Jersey isn't the largest, brightest media market on Earth. NJ.com covers NJ.

Really has nothing to do with this.
Rutgers and northern NJ is in the NY media market. I think you know that so did you really need to nit pick? The NY tri-state area is influenced by NYC.

The thing I'm most proud of is we're finally learning how to act like a big boy school
Scandal, shmandel - we have football games to win damnit

Ignore it, put spin on it, bury it make it go away, I don't GAF
Just freakin win

The thing I'm most proud of is we're finally learning how to act like a big boy school
Scandal, shmandel - we have football games to win damnit

Ignore it, put spin on it, bury it make it go away, I don't GAF
Just freakin win
Maybe it’s so big that we will have to forfeit all the wins. The sky is falling

I'm thinking Hobbs saw the writing on the wall/got wind something was coming down on him and he got his severe cardiac condition & had to resign so nothing could be done to him.

He's no longer an employee so he can't be fired/penalized. Any kind of clawback provision would just bring more eyes on Rutgers, which no one wants.

Hobbs got ahead of it all by clutching his heart and bowing out.

Is the CE board chess team practice over already?
Sure.. because attacking the personalities of those that disagree with you is the best tactic. No one will call you out for that. Everyone is sooo stupid.

As to his point.. I have no idea what gymnasts wear under those outfits.. cannot be much. Perhaps they always wear thongs?

Yes, Hobbs rebutted any allegations by the athletes against the gymnastics coach. I wonder why?
First.. "rebutted" or "rebuffed" and is the choice of those characterizations just wrong?

What if Hobbs just wanted to follow due process? Maybe that's why he started watching practices. Isn't that exactly what Pernetti should have done with teh basketball allegations? Even saying that, it was probably a lot different going to a few basketball practices than seeing that 6-month-long compilation tape of a few bad moments compiled by a disgruntled coach.

Have Gen-Z student-athletes ever exaggerated issues for their own motives? No idea.. but I wouldn't bet against it. Maybe the real problem was not bullying, but unrealistic expectations.. perhaps set by the coach during recruiting.

"plagued by allegations of favoritism, bullying and revenge by Salim-Beasley, who fostered a “toxic” environment, they alleged."

Favoritism comes first.. before bullying. C'mon now. maybe its true. maybe the "best" gymnasts were not always First Team.. and that sucks.. but what was Hobbs supposed to do? Ask assistants.. hired by the head coach? Hire an outside gymnastics consultant to determine if favoritism was making the team worse than it need be?

Let's give Hopbbs the benefit of doubt for a moment and assume he did everything correctly... there's still good reason to bow out.. especially if there is a health question. Because Pernetti got thrown under the bus by the administration. Holloway did not hire Hobbs.. you think he wouldn't want to choose his own AD? Do you think the smart thing for Holloway would be to fire Hobbs if there is ANY questions raised.. valid or not?

Last edited:
I'm thinking Hobbs saw the writing on the wall/got wind something was coming down on him and he got his severe cardiac condition & had to resign so nothing could be done to him.

He's no longer an employee so he can't be fired/penalized. Any kind of clawback provision would just bring more eyes on Rutgers, which no one wants.

Hobbs got ahead of it all by clutching his heart and bowing out.
That's a move out of the Urban Meyer 101 playbook
If true, brilliantly done by Hobbs

Limits his potential embarrassment, and hopefully doesn't interfere with the upcoming football season

Reactions: toby83 and MrsScrew
premature
You were correct.. my take at the time was that we all thought a story was coming.. then it did not.. and if it never came then all the speculation was just.. WRONG. As it is, speculation was justified but the story? WTH.. is S-L/NJ.com just milking it to make it a series? Because it just seems like athlete gripes about how their careers went. While we do not want that.. it could very well just be sour grapes by those who did not achieve everything they expected to achieve.

Reactions: newell138
You were correct.. my take at the time was that we all thought a story was coming.. then it did not.. and if it never came then all the speculation was just.. WRONG. As it is, speculation was justified but the story? WTH.. is S-L/NJ.com just milking it to make it a series? Because it just seems like athlete gripes about how their careers went. While we do not want that.. it could very well just be sour grapes by those who did not achieve everything they expected to achieve.

Rutgers Rant Podcast (Politi, Lanni & Fonseca) are doing a whole podcast on the Hobbs thing. It will be out this week.

It might just be athlete gripes, HOWEVER, 8 athletes on a small gymnastics team? that's a lot of athletes griping about the same thing. Has anyone come out to say they are liars or are the rest just remaining quiet so they can continue their careers?
Doubling the salary of a coach whose team has been in last place every year? (sign me up for that please!)
You have to wonder how many Olympic sports practices/meets did Hobbs go to other than the women's gymnastics ones?
Sudden heart issue causing immediate resignation? He went to Ireland the next day, not for a heart transplant. As a nurse I'm calling BS on this one.

Way too many little fires here not to pay attention to it.

But, as I said in my post above, Hobbs got ahead of it all by resigning immediately. He's no longer an employee so he can't be punished. He probably did Rutgers a huge favor by resigning.

As for all rumors and Hobbs being guilty of something I hope the" Rutgers Rant Podcast (Politi, Lanni & Fonseca)" that's supposed to be addressing it comes out with valid info and not just rehashes the accusations and possible misdeeds without proving there were misdeeds and valid reasons why Hobbs was rumors to have done wrong.
So far just talk -talk -talk without really knowing what's going on..
Just like this thread, all 25 pages and probably more to come, talk talk talk, but no one knows what they are talking about ,only going by what they feel might be the case or probable cause.
So when it comes to hearing the facts
200w.gif

maybe Politi, Lanni & Fonseca will end the wait with facts and not just rehash rumors that don't prove a thing.

Rutgers Rant Podcast (Politi, Lanni & Fonseca) are doing a whole podcast on the Hobbs thing. It will be out this week.

It might just be athlete gripes, HOWEVER, 8 athletes on a small gymnastics team? that's a lot of athletes griping about the same thing. Has anyone come out to say they are liars or are the rest just remaining quiet so they can continue their careers?
Doubling the salary of a coach whose team has been in last place every year? (sign me up for that please!)
You have to wonder how many Olympic sports practices/meets did Hobbs go to other than the women's gymnastics ones?
Sudden heart issue causing immediate resignation? He went to Ireland the next day, not for a heart transplant. As a nurse I'm calling BS on this one.

But, as I said in my post above, Hobbs got ahead of it all by resigning immediately. He's no longer an employee so he can't be punished. He probably did Rutgers a huge favor by resigning.
At this time no one knows who the " liars" are. We do know however who want/ assume it's Hobbs.

Media is just waiting for right before the long weekend, so they can run & regurgitate the same thin stories to an audience on vacation, all weekend long. Plus they can rain on football's parade. Fk em.

By the time this settles down the Athletic program may face a fine or be put on some kind of "Probation" that likely won't affect much.

The biggest thing for us right now is finding a replacement who will maintain the positive momentum we have in Athletics and continue to make the Rutgers brand respectable on a National level.

How heavily will this "episode" weigh on any potential AD candidate's decision to even be considered for the RU job? Won't it all need to be resolved before bringing a new AD on board?

How heavily will this "episode" weigh on any potential AD candidate's decision to even be considered for the RU job? Won't it all need to be resolved before bringing a new AD on board?
"all need to be resolved" ?? What's this "all". ,At this point there's nothing. How do people come up with this nonsense?

Reactions: mildone and fsg2
It's a B10 AD job, I tend to think there will be good selection of candidates interested in it.

"
The gymnasts allege Salim-Beasley was unsympathetic toward athletes who experienced mental health issues and physical injuries, tried to take retribution on gymnasts who raised concerns about her coaching methods, and kept churning a roster consistently among the biggest and least successful in the Big Ten.
The former gymnasts said Hobbs was dismissive when they sought help from him, yet at the same time they noted that Hobbs was a frequent visitor to team meets, practices and events, and appeared to take an unusual interest in the program."
I saw Hobbs at all of the football games, does that mean he and Schiano are in a relationship?

"all need to be resolved" ?? What's this "all". ,At this point there's nothing. How do people come up with this nonsense?
These days, rampant speculation and accusation mutates into fact for many people. Then, when nothing comes of it, those same people become outraged. They’re like “how can they get away with this” when there was never any “this” beyond made-up accusations. 😂

I guess we can thank decades of nonsensical political scandal-fabrication for this.

Reactions: Leonard23

An investigation was done by RU and yes..the 8 girls claims were unfounded. Does that make them “liars”?

Whole bunch of nothing to the story if you ask me.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I want to agree with this but in the blink of an eye RU’s #1 athletic advocate whose worked day and night for the past nine years to elevate our programs announced health problems and resigns with little or no reaction from the administration and just disappears into the nether while he doesn’t even address his subordinates on the brink of what could be the best combination of football and basketball success ever? And he wouldn’t want to stick around to see?

Granted if Pat shows up on the sidelines of RU football games and sits in usual seats by the baseline at RU basketball games then I agree that the man just needed some space after hearing some life changing medical information [which I don’t believe we’ll see]? Otherwise I’m not buying that health was the only reason for his sudden departure.

The full truth will come out at some point.

GO RU
You and 945 other people in this thread gave said the same thing. You won’t be the last!

Maybe the smoke is really smog that’s caused by climate change. Let’s really bring it to the CE board.

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT