ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

An investigation was done by RU and yes..the 8 girls claims were unfounded. Does that make them “liars”?

Whole bunch of nothing to the story if you ask me.

BUT.....did Hobbs find it "unfounded" because he didn't want to discipline/fire the woman he was sleeping with. That's the sub-question in all of this.

Unlikely we ever find the answer to that question unless gymnastics coach comes out with it or someone has photos.

Did you see that the last AD was accused.. wrongly? Maybe there is just a run on complaining about ADs...

Case Dismissed.. withdrawn by complainant.. no settlement
Student makes allegations resulting in lawsuit that is dismissed with prejudice as meritless? No way!
Does this mean that all accusations lodged by students are not necessarily true?
I saw Hobbs at all of the football games, does that mean he and Schiano are in a relationship?
No, remember the narrative that Greg did not like Pat?
An investigation was done by RU and yes..the 8 girls claims were unfounded. Does that make them “liars”?

Whole bunch of nothing to the story if you ask me.
See the Northwestern story.
Maybe the gymnasts felt they were wronged. A University investigation concluded the claims were without merit. They could go the Northwestern cheerleader route and sue if they feel strongly about their case and see if sympathetic jury agrees that they were wronged. But does that mean any of the other innuendo in this thread about Pat Hobbs is true? Without more, no.

BUT.....did Hobbs find it "unfounded" because he didn't want to discipline/fire the woman he was sleeping with. That's the sub-question in all of this.

Unlikely we ever find the answer to that question unless gymnastics coach comes out with it or someone has photos.

No evidence he was sleeping with the coach.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

A point of clarification directly from the NJ.com article:

"Three former Rutgers gymnasts told NJ Advance Media that they met with the University’s Ethics and Compliance department between March and May to share concerns about Salim-Beasley. Two of them filed formal complaints against the coach.
The Ethics and Compliance department, according to the university website, sets the standard for ethical and appropriate conduct and, within the athletics department, investigates student-athlete and staff complaints."

From the link to UEC: "UEC is an independent office that provides compliance and enterprise risk management services to the entire University. Within this framework, UEC works closely together with the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA) and the DIA Office of Athletic Compliance (DIA Compliance)."

"In addition, UEC provides DIA general guidance and recommendations on process and policies and procedures; acts as an additional independent and conflict-free point of contact to report violations of rules, regulations, policies and procedures; investigates certain student-athlete and staff complaints; and assists the DIA in assuring that its compliance operations are consistent with the NCAA requirement of “institutional control.”"

Doubtful it was "Hobbs" who found it "unfounded." That's not his job. Just a guess here, but after the issues with Mike Rice and then Flood and Julie's lack of compliance that got both of them fired, one would think that Rutgers and Hobbs (he was a lawyer and a law professor) would dot their i's and cross their t's on complaints from athletes." On the other hand, this is Rutgers, and they do boneheaded things, but the article says: "Three former Rutgers gymnasts told NJ Advance Media that they met with the University’s Ethics and Compliance department between March and May to share concerns about Salim-Beasley."

Seems that according to the gymnasts, Rutgers and Hobbs went through the proper channels. Hobbs reported the findings back to one of the athletes in an e-mail and in a virtual meeting. Another gymnast refused to provide details to the UEC.

So to reiterate, it's the UEC that works with the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA) and the DIA Office of Athletic Compliance (DIA Compliance) that investigates complaints, not the AD himself (or herself).

The more I read the NJ.com story, it seems to be a typical hit piece with a sinister title and a lot little complaints that add up to no major infractions. Six years of coaching a team of 20 gymnasts-- were there 5 or 8 complaints over this time? A fair question is how many complaints on average surface at other major gymnastics programs?

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Doubtful it was "Hobbs" who found it "unfounded." That's not his job. Just a guess here, but after the issues with Mike Rice and then Flood and Julie's lack of compliance that got both of them fired, one would think that Rutgers and Hobbs (he was a lawyer and a law professor) would dot their i's and cross their t's on complaints from athletes." On the other hand, this is Rutgers, and they do boneheaded things, but the article says: "Three former Rutgers gymnasts told NJ Advance Media that they met with the University’s Ethics and Compliance department between March and May to share concerns about Salim-Beasley."
This whole thing could simply be disgruntled athletes not getting the results they wanted and they keep pushing a narrative. Not saying they were lying.. saying they thought they deserved to be first team.. or whatever.. they thought the coach was too tough on them and easier on others.. they thought the AD did not give their complaints proper weight.. they brought these complaints to the press to FINALLY get the attention the complaints (and themselves) "deserved". The media took them at their word.. because it gets them the attention THEY seek as well.

All of this could be the system grinding out these complaints properly.. and determining there wasn't enough to them. And Hobbs just thought.. I'm too old for this *stuff*.. I've seen what can happen once the wheels are in motion regardless of merit... I am out of here with whatever I am due rather than fight this *stuff*.. I have achieved a lot here. Let someone else have this headache. I won't bother complaining about the coming political/media pressure on the replacement AD hire.. other than to say that this will be interesting.

How about we go the Barry Alvarez route.. GS for AD/HC!

It's a lot more expensive to live in NJ than MI. Rutgers has to pay more than other places for coaches in other sports for cost of living adjustment.
That's a hoot!! The gymnastics team had a putrid record over the past five years, yet her salary doubled over that time. Very strange. Also, based on your cost of living argument, all Rutgers coaches should be making top of the ladder salary? Well, they aren't. So why the gymnastics coach with one of the suckiest records in all of Rutgers history, with all the complaints against her, gets 200k/yr?

Reactions: toby83
That Rutgers Rant was a dud. If they had balls they would have come out directly and said there are rumors of an affair -- they didn't or can't since nothing can be substantiated . In any event their bitching about hirings, how to hire an AD, politics, etc was just typical stuff from these guys . They love negativity cause they think that's what readers want to hear. They are gossip mongers about negatives but had to constantly intertwine positives since truthfully they can't deny them. Honestly they sound like typical weasel reporters.

That Rutgers Rant was a dud. If they had balls they would have come out directly and said there are rumors of an affair -- they didn't or can't since nothing can be substantiated . In any event their bitching about hirings, how to hire an AD, politics, etc was just typical stuff from these guys . They love negativity cause they think that's what readers want to hear. They are gossip mongers about negatives but had to constantly intertwine positives since truthfully they can't deny them. Honestly they sound like typical weasel reporters.
you say they're "gossip mongers" but then you also say they didn't come out and say there are rumors of an affair. So then they're not gossip mongers. They reported what they know.

you say they're "gossip mongers" but then you also say they didn't come out and say there are rumors of an affair. So then they're not gossip mongers. They reported what they know.
There are legit questions about why he spent so much time with the gymnastics program as well as how a failing coach received over 100% raise in compensation.

Reactions: King of S
IDK. As to the first, perhaps as AD,he felt compelled to keep a close watch on the program after receiving complaints from gymnasts. Tha seems like a good decision. As to the compensation increase, that is a head scratcher.
Agree that him spending time around the program is not in and of itself a smoking gun, but all of the facts we now understand taken in totality raise some serious questions.

Brother of the FAU AD I had mentioned that might be a solid candidate. Danny also hired Leipold at Buffalo.

FAU AD hired the basketball coach who is at Michigan now. Father was AD at Duke and ND.

What are you even talking about ? Those implicitly spreading rumors with innuendo are certainly gossip mongers. Only those that thrive on their BS would defend " reporters " that are hoping they can "report " on something nefarious.

• Haha
Reactions: GotEmmm
Article about an inappropriate consensual relation was posted in a new thread.
My waiting for news about why he resigned if not health reasons is over and I stand correct about implying there was no truth to a rumor it wasn't it wasn't his heart.
Now it could be an affair of the heart might be why.

Article about an inappropriate consensual relation was posted in a new thread.
My waiting for news about why he resigned if not health reasons is over and I stand correct about implying there was no truth to a rumor it wasn't it wasn't his heart.
Now it could be an affair of the heart might be why.
Wow, breaking news!!!!

Breaking to you for sure lol
suck my dick GIF

Can I toss my hat into the AD discussion?

I’ll spend zero time with the gymnastics program. Avoid any potential impropriety that anyone may suspect.

However…….I do vow to spend significant time and energy personally attending and facilitating all aspects of the newest varsity sport - Rutgers Beach Volleyball

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Can I toss my hat into the AD discussion?

I’ll spend zero time with the gymnastics program. Avoid any potential impropriety that anyone may suspect.

However…….I do vow to spend significant time and energy personally attending and facilitating all aspects of the newest varsity sport - Rutgers Beach Volleyball

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office
I play on the beach..can I be a coach??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT