ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers athletic director Pat Hobbs abruptly resigns

You really aren't following the thread, are you? You are just picking out messages and assuming they contain all teh context you need in order to feign some disagreement over said message.

You replied to me about the "MAY" as I referred to it WITHOUT seeing what my message was replying it.. which was about sexual harassment clauses in Rutgers rules of conduct.

Do you know how much these raises were?

Did they have as much to do about cost of living and inflation as anything else?

Were said raises any different than anyone else got under similar "performance" levels?

Did the previous coach in that role do any better and not see any salary bumps?

What do any of us really know about any of this?

Yeah.. if it is a, say Fulton County GA DA situation regarding abuse of funds for personal gain.. yeah.. that is actionable. But what do you or any of us really know at this point? The primary complainants thought said coach was favoring other athletes over them and did not get that coach reprimanded by the AD and, thus, every aspect of AD to coach relationship received scrutiny.

AD resigned.

AD did a lot of good for Rutgers athletics.

If he was allowed to resign because of the good will he garnered through building up Rutgers Athletics instead of being dragged through the mud... why do you care?

Why is this so important to you? Is it a religious thing? An adultery thing? Do you just enjoy wallowing in the suffering of others? Or do you just want Rutgers to be mired in scandal as often as possible?
Her initial salary in 2018-2019 was $95,000. Her salary in 2023-2024 was $190,000.

This is a coach who’se record in 5 years is 4-48 including 0-20 over her last 2 with no short of 7 former players speaking out about how horribly she runs things.

In what universe is it not a HUGE deal that this coach/educator was allowed to keep her job with a 4-48 record while DOUBLING her salary along the way SOLEY because of the affair she was having with her boss?

They both need terminated, thank goodness Hobbs did the only dignified thing he could do in the situation and step down before things got worse

Reactions: PSU_Nut and batts
Your reading comprehension isn’t very strong is it? Ash was FIRED in year 3 dumb dumb
No, you write without thinking... until this post that is. FINALLY!
Her initial salary in 2018-2019 was $95,000. Her salary in 2023-2024 was $190,000.

This is a coach who’se record in 5 years is 4-48 including 0-20 over her last 2 with no short of 7 former players speaking out about how horribly she runs things.

In what universe is it not a HUGE deal that this coach/educator was allowed to keep her job with a 4-48 record while DOUBLING her salary along the way SOLEY because of the affair she was having with her boss?

They both need terminated, thank goodness Hobbs did the only dignified thing he could do in the situation and step down before things got worse
Do you have what stipulations were in her initial contract? Were specific increases in subsequent years built in? Did she sign a 1-year deal? Did we promise her more to get her to come? Did we have internal requirements regarding DEI and did that come into play here?

Some quick and dirty googling shows these coaches.. even someplace like Ohio State... make less than that $190K figure. At 8-1 Michigan, that number is about $250K at 7-7 Nebraska it is $145K. The 9-0 Michigan State coach made about $150K. The 6-3 Minnesota coach about $120K.

That is... it varies greatly. 2-7 Maryland looks like the number is just over $100K. Meanwhile 2-7 Iowa coach got paid $449K just to leave.

yeah.. it looks bad.. maybe. maybe. stupid.. probably. wouldn't be the first time we overpaid for a coach... hmmm.. any chance they have the same agent like Hobbs and Ash did?

Anyway.. think of how Julie Hermann was hired.. and paid.. then paid off. Lets say, being in NJ, we should pay that gymnastics coach a minimum of $120K or so.. that would be competitive with non-championship level Big Ten gymnastics coaches in this market. So we wasted $70K foolishly.. if not for sexual relationship reasons... compared to what we had to pay Julie Hermann for not doing proper vetting? Add in ignoring the well-paid executive search committee recommendations which did not include Hermann.. who was injected into the process late by a politician for DEI reasons? C'mon... its over... let's move on. Hobbs was worth a lot more to us than what he wasted.

Last edited:

I doubt it’s this simple and if it was, shame on our finance and compliance departments for allowing such a weak control environment in the first place. In a robust control environment, one person never has sole authority to double an employees salary without multiple sign offs - not even members of the c-suite. Hobbs likely had to persuade others of any decisions that were made which meant he came up with legitimate business rationale whatever that may be). The problem is, once he crosses the line with an affair every past decision that benefited her is going to be questioned as a conflict of interest. Thats why personal relations with direct reports are generally forbidden. The perceived bias is unavoidable.

No, you write without thinking... until this post that is. FINALLY!

Do you have what stipulations were in her initial contract? Were specific increases in subsequent years built in? Did she sign a 1-year deal? Did we promise her more to get her to come? Did we have internal requirements regarding DEI and did that come into play here?

Some quick and dirty googling shows these coaches.. even someplace like Ohio State... make less than that $190K figure. At 8-1 Michigan, that number is about $250K at 7-7 Nebraska it is $145K. The 9-0 Michigan State coach made about $150K. The 6-3 Minnesota coach about $120K.

That is... it varies greatly. 2-7 Maryland looks like the number is just over $100K. Meanwhile 2-7 Iowa coach got paid $449K just to leave.

yeah.. it looks bad.. maybe. maybe. stupid.. probably. wouldn't be the first time we overpaid for a coach... hmmm.. any chance they have the same agent like Hobbs and Ash did?

Anyway.. think of how Julie Hermann was hired.. and paid.. then paid off. Lets say, being in NJ, we should pay that gymnastics coach a minimum of $120K or so.. that would be competitive with non-championship level Big Ten gymnastics coaches in this market. So we wasted $70K foolishly.. if not for sexual relationship reasons... compared to what we had to pay Julie Hermann for not doing proper vetting? Add in ignoring the well-paid executive search committee recommendations which did not include Hermann.. who was injected into the process late by a politician for DEI reasons? C'mon... its over... let's move on. Hobbs was worth a lot more to us than what he wasted.
For real? DEI? Ok CE board

Argue with a wall old man, see how far it gets you

I doubt it’s this simple and if it was, shame on our finance and compliance departments for allowing such a weak control environment in the first place. In a robust control environment, one person never has sole authority to double an employees salary without multiple sign offs - not even members of the c-suite. Hobbs likely had to persuade others of any decisions that were made which meant he came up with legitimate business rationale whatever that may be). The problem is, once he crosses the line with an affair every past decision that benefited her is going to be questioned as a conflict of interest. Thats why personal relations with direct reports are generally forbidden. The perceived bias is unavoidable.

So I understand you and some other posters desire to try to frame this in a way that Rutgers doesn’t look bad. Rutgers is gonna look bad from this man, it’s unavoidable.

Can you find me another big ten program in any sport, that would reward a coach who went 0-20 in their last 2 years with a raise? Please show me an example.

What I CAN show you an example of is multiple former players and athletes who approached Pat Hobbs directly about the ‘Toxic environment’ Salim-Beasley was harboring and did NOTHING to help these girls

Reactions: King of S
So I understand you and some other posters desire to try to frame this in a way that Rutgers doesn’t look bad. Rutgers is gonna look bad from this man, it’s unavoidable.

Can you find me another big ten program in any sport, that would reward a coach who went 0-20 in their last 2 years with a raise? Please show me an example.

What I CAN show you an example of is multiple former players and athletes who approached Pat Hobbs directly about the ‘Toxic environment’ Salim-Beasley was harboring and did NOTHING to help these girls

I’m not framing anything. Fact is nobody outside of Rutgers cares if the gymnastic or volleyball coach was paid a few bucks more than they otherwise would’ve been because our AD (who is no longer with the program) was having unapproved relations with them. Its as KS and BAC put it - blip on the radar / yawn. Do you see the articles breaking national headlines? There will be stories but they will blend right in a pile of soup - no more coverage than say the RU 44 Howard 7 outcome. Nobody cares. The only way it would be a big story is if there were bribes and hush money involved and even then - if Pike and Greg aren’t a part of it, it still rounds into the “who cares” category.

Ummm...Ash was fired in year four. Rule #1, when calling out and insulting someone, always double check the facts.

Yes, correct. His facts are wrong. But to be fair, it’s probably not a comparable situation. For my part - I always felt Flood got an unfair rap, but most of our fans were on the band wagon of blaming him for the horrendous seasons Ash had in 2016 and 2017. If you buy that - an extension in that situation was basically obligatory. Recruiting would be impossible otherwise.

Personally - I always thought that was ridiculous - Flood’s final season features 4-8 program that was really only a few plays removed from being 6-6 or even 7-5. I never understood the narrative that 1-11 from his replacement was to be expected based on the state of the program Flood left behind - but again - most of our fans bought into this so there’s nothing strange about Hobbs following that punch line.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I’m not framing anything. Fact is nobody outside of Rutgers cares if the gymnastic or volleyball coach was paid a few bucks more than they otherwise would’ve been because our AD (who is no longer with the program) was having unapproved relations with them. Its as KS and BAC put it - blip on the radar / yawn. Do you see the articles breaking national headlines? There will be stories but they will blend right in a pile of soup - no more coverage than say the RU 44 Howard 7 outcome. Nobody cares. The only way it would be a big story is if there were bribes and hush money involved and even then - if Pike and Greg aren’t a part of it, it still rounds into the “who cares” category.
Disagree. Nobody cares from your scarlet colored glasses hoping it goes away quickly. Highly paid public eye state employee, not only kept an incompetent coach around but doubled her salary and was banging her and ignoring the complaints from 20 year old girls having mental health issues, because that ass tasted so good? That's as juicy as it gets. not to mention tons of Rutgers Athletics haters who love to hate on the money burning. More fuel. Delusional if you think would or should go right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU_Nut and BossNJ
Disagree. Nobody cares from your scarlet colored glasses hoping it goes away quickly. Highly paid state employee, not only kept an incompetent coach around but doubled her salary and was banging her and ignoring the complaints from 20 year old girls having mental health issues, because that ass tasted so good? That's as juicy as it gets. not to mention tons of Rutgers Athletics haters who love to hate on the money burning. More fuel. Delusional if you think would or should go right away.

Huh? What are you talking about? Where did I say it should just go away? I’m not saying it’s not a big deal from Hobb’s perspective.

I’m saying it has zero impact whatsoever on the national perception of Rutgers athletics program. Hobbs is gone. We’ll replace him. The perception of our program will be shaped by his replacement. What Hobbs did or didn’t do will have no impact on how those outside of RU view us.

Huh? What are you talking about? Where did I say it should just go away? I’m not saying it’s not a big deal from Hobb’s perspective.

I’m saying it has zero impact whatsoever on the national perception of Rutgers athletics program. Hobbs is gone. We’ll replace him. The perception of our program will be shaped by his replacement. What Hobbs did or didn’t do will have no impact on how those outside of RU view us.
Thought you said it wasn't a big story, and while won't be nationally definitely is so regionally and will continue to be

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
For real? DEI? Ok CE board

Argue with a wall old man, see how far it gets you
Did you see me argue against DEI? I just suggested that maybe there's a DEI element to the hire and retention and maybe even salary bumps. I don't know.. you don't know. Maybe Hobbs was being evaluated on how diverse the coaching ranks were. Can you really rule out that possibility?

• Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
Ummm...Ash was fired in year four. Rule #1, when calling out and insulting someone, always double check the facts.
..and I linked the story showing he was given an extension despite his poor record.. which directly disputed @yessir321 's previous assertion. Thanks for correcting him there.. I threw up my hands and ignored his response as not worth my time.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Disagree. Nobody cares from your scarlet colored glasses hoping it goes away quickly. Highly paid public eye state employee, not only kept an incompetent coach around but doubled her salary and was banging her and ignoring the complaints from 20 year old girls having mental health issues, because that ass tasted so good? That's as juicy as it gets. not to mention tons of Rutgers Athletics haters who love to hate on the money burning. More fuel. Delusional if you think would or should go right away.
Dumb, over the top and disgustingly worded post.

Thought you said it wasn't a big story, and while won't be nationally definitely is so regionally and will continue to be

I said it isn’t a big deal in the context of public perception of Rutgers athletics which clearly pertains to how we’re viewed nationally (RU and Army are the only FBS teams in the Tri-State area). I never said the story wouldn’t be college athletics newsworthy in the local region because, guess what? The Howard vs RU outcome would be the top competition right now in stories. But again - my original point still holds. This isn’t close to a big national story - the only potential for that to happen would be if it came out that Hobbs paid off the ethics board to conclude that there was no wrongdoing regarding the gymnast complaints - or something illegal like that. If that happened - there would be whisperings of it already for sure. It appears Rutgers acted quickly as soon as the administration got wind of the allegations. Pat either chose to resign or it was a mutually agreed on decision. This wasn’t a case where we’ve been covering up for him to allow him to continue in his role. He’s an AD not a highly successful coach like a Paterno. There would be zero incentive for it.

I also think Politi is probably wrong. I don’t think RU expected to wipe this under a rug. Surely we knew the details would come out and let Hobbs say whatever he wanted in the moment to explain his departure. We never came out and expressed deep concerns for his medical issues. There was no lying on our end.

Last edited:

This^^^Internally, it is a big deal. HR nightmare. Outside of Rutgers- it is a big nothing.

This^^^Internally, it is a big deal. HR nightmare. Outside of Rutgers- it is a big nothing.
We never should count on what we feel is just a Rutgers issue not worth national attention will be that way.
The local media tends to build up what went wrong into a major disaster then the national media uses that as fodder to cover Rutgers as a rogue program based on what the unfriendly local media puts out.

We never should count on what we feel is just a Rutgers issue not worth national attention will be that way.
The local media tends to build up what went wrong into a major disaster then the national media uses that as fodder to cover Rutgers as a rogue program based on what the unfriendly local media puts out.
The National media (in this realm) tends to laugh at the local guys.

Because they, the National folks, think they are are more important than they really are.

I’m not framing anything. Fact is nobody outside of Rutgers cares if the gymnastic or volleyball coach was paid a few bucks more than they otherwise would’ve been because our AD (who is no longer with the program) was having unapproved relations with them. It’s as KS and BAC put it - blip on the radar / yawn. Do you see the articles breaking national headlines? There will be stories but they will blend right in a pile of soup - no more coverage than say the RU 44 Howard 7 outcome. Nobody cares. The only way it would be a big story is if there were bribes and hush money involved and even then - if Pike and Greg aren’t a part of it, it still rounds into the “who cares” category.
We will very much care if the NCAA issues penalties and sanctions which is VERY much on the table.

Were already at a disadvantage financially from our Big 10 counterparts, added pressure on that critical area effects the entire athletics department.

Again, I understand your desire to frame this in a way where Rutgers doesn’t look bad but it’s unavoidable at this point. I won’t be the one to say ‘I told you so’ but just watch

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Ash went 1-11 and the team was awful in year 3 and Hobbs wrote a letter to fans saying to back off ash .
Did he get a raise and extension?

Let’s also let the record show our volleyball coaches 0-20 record occurred in YEARS 4 and 5 of her tenure. And she was rewarded with a raise and extension. Yea that’s bullsh*t

SOLEY ?

We will very much care if the NCAA issues penalties and sanctions which is VERY much on the table.

Were already at a disadvantage financially from our Big 10 counterparts, added pressure on that critical area effects the entire athletics department.

Again, I understand your desire to frame this in a way where Rutgers doesn’t look bad but it’s unavoidable at this point. I won’t be the one to say ‘I told you so’ but just watch
NCAA sanctions for what?

NCAA sanctions for what?
Violations of the Athletic Department- specifically paying money in exchange for sex.

It’s a massive deal man. I hate it, sucks a fat sausage it happened, it’s not fair at all, but god damnit we’re RU, we’re going to get screwed

Pat had an eye for talent….😉

Violations of the Athletic Department- specifically paying money in exchange for sex.

It’s a massive deal man. I hate it, sucks a fat sausage it happened, it’s not fair at all, but god damnit we’re RU, we’re going to get screwed
So Michigan gets probation but no real penalty for a huge cheating scandal- NC pretty much less than that for the entire entire athletic program not going to class, MSU- they had a coach raping hundreds of gymnasts etc
And the NCAA is going to get worked up on this?
It is realistically an internal HR issue and the person who did it is gone…

There’s zero chance it went down that way. Do you know what an audit is? Rutgers is subject to one on an annual basis. Every year they review the control environment.one single person at Rutgers does not have the authority to approve and execute pay raises. That would never fly. It’s not even speculation to say that’s not how it works. It’s a guarantee. Unless Hobbs actually paid someone else off to approve a pay raise for a coach he was sleeping with, what your suggesting isn’t even in the universe of concern. There’s perception of conflict of interest - yes, absolutely. Perhaps he gave her a glowing review that was biased based on his personal relations. That is not close to pay for sex though - its grounds for Rutgers to be unhappy that he possibly influenced a bad business decision because of personal conflict and get rid of him. Nothing more.

I don't understand your desire to exaggerate this in a way in which Rutgers does look bad.

Oh wait, I kind of do.

Because it is a Penn State fan. Why people bother with yessir, Shelby and a few others when it is clear that they are trolls is puzzling.
Such a lazy insult.

Old farts see someone who disagrees with them on how something is perceived.

Say whatever you need

Such a lazy insult.

Say whatever you need
How do you know how old this person is?

It's an amazing talent some seem to have on here.

Same with regard to complexion and gender.

Such a lazy insult.

Say whatever you need

Actually, it’s your post that’s lazy. There’s not a shred of evidence of a pay for sex scandal that would trigger an NCAA investigation. Not one reporter suggested anything like this - not even Politi. Politi’s simply saying Holloway shouldn’t have allowed Hobbs to claim medical issues as the stated reason for his resignation and should “come clean” on having tried to hide the real reason. He’s out of line in my view, because he’s basically taking a 180 - before he was saying RU went out of its way NOT to accknowledge the health concerns (which I still agree with - it was blatantly obvious despite a host of our fans on here trying to rationalize otherwise). As such, it seems to me we didn’t make an effort to hide anything - we just didn’t (and still may not) have tangible details to release to the public yet and so we basically chose to say nothing or as little as possible about his departure - knowing details would follow in time. When asked point blank if any investigation was being conducted - we answered affirmatively.

Also - let’s say it’s found he was having an affair. Perhaps he recommended generous raises for the coach he was sleeping with that the administration went along with. Okay - so we paid a coach more than she deserved. That’s Rutgers problem, isn’t it? Sleeping with a coach wasn’t allowed per his contract. He resigned before he could be fired. As said - the hindsight perception of COI is unavoidable but I’d bet my morgage and then some that a business reason for the raises was properly documented at the time. So again - Rutgers problem. Where is the NCAA coming in? This doesn’t involve them.

Paying for sex? Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 😱

🤣🤣🤣

I’m actually not even sure if THAT would put this in the NCAA investigation domain. For them to step in, doesn’t the infraction have to have some kind of direct connection to the student athletes?

Reactions: NickRU714
I’m actually not even sure if THAT would put this in the NCAA investigation domain. For them to step in, doesn’t the infraction have to have some kind of direct connection to the student athletes?

Could the NCAA use their weird "lack of instructional control" to make themselves feel important and get involved?

Note - the NBA didn't get involved with the Ime Udoka situation. Celtics handled it and that was it. This is the exact same situation.

There is no reason for the NCAA to get involved.
Other than they are a terrible organization and make the wrong decision pretty much every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT