ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball gets dominated by Purdue, losing 96-68

Rutgers Basketball
Roman Reigns Sport GIF by WWE

Did you watch him on defensive end? Did you see the tip in dunk Gavin didn’t box out on. How about he finally gets a rebound and immediately gets stripped. How about another rebound attempt and defender grabs ball away from him
oh yeah we were boatraced by 28...not perfect but i expect more out of 3 specific players who shit the bed and then didnt care they shit the bed

Reactions: fatsam98
The bar is so low at this point that making one of those prayers he puts up qualifies as a good game
I agree. It was a good game in comparison to the rest of his games in February but I expect a guy who does bracketology to be able to watch a game and evaluate it effectively

Did you watch him on defensive end? Did you see the tip in dunk Gavin didn’t box out on. How about he finally gets a rebound and immediately gets stripped. How about another rebound attempt and defender grabs ball away from him
Have to agree here. He made a couple of nice plays but so far to go.

Reactions: mugrat86
I think that the team tried to hang in there, even though Purdue could not miss from anywhere on the court. I thought that I was watching "Flubber." They look like a Final Four team to me.

Let's come back home and get a W against Maryland.

Scarlet Jerry

I think that the team tried to hang in there, even though Purdue could not miss from anywhere on the court. I thought that I was watching "Flubber." They look like a Final Four team to me.

Let's come back home and get a W against Maryland.

Scarlet Jerr
Yep. We weren’t winning this one. Have three winnable games at home. Unlikely but not impossible to steal one of the road games.

Reactions: RU MAN
when the rest of the team plays like ass, and a guy who has been struggling shows some positives I will say so
Agree he showed some positives. He made a great skip pass to Oskar and moved much better on offense. He is just so limited in so many ways on other end.

Simpson had first bad game in a month.
It’s not like he had four turnovers.
Sure he did. Plenty. Repeated terrible shots not within his minimal skill set are turnovers. Not in the box score but in reality. Every game’s the same.

Reactions: FastMJ
Sure he did. Plenty. Repeated terrible shots not within his minimal skill set are turnovers. Not in the box score but in reality. Every game’s the same.
Terrible? They were good shots but didn’t fall. First bad game in a month. Two early pretty passes. Hyatt and O dropped easy and nice passes.
Other “point guard” had chance to step up. 4 turnovers. 🦗
Least amount of minutes. Not like others stepped up in absence.
Spare me on terrible and narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son
Terrible? They were good shots but didn’t fall.
Spare me on terrible.
They aren’t good shots if you can’t make them. He can’t make them. You also want Cliff taking open threes? Get it ?

If they were good shots, he wouldn’t have been benched. Pike finally had enough of the Simpson shitshow. Hallelujah!

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Terrible? They were good shots but didn’t fall. First bad game in a month. Two early pretty passes. Hyatt and O dropped easy and nice passes.
Least amount of minutes. Not like others stepped up in absence.
Spare me on terrible and narrative.
1st bad game in a month?

3-10, 30%
1-6, 17%
2-9, 22%
1-7, 14%

These are all very poor shooting numbers to put it nicely

He has played better in his overall game. His defense has been very good. The hustle energy and effort has been there. Signs of better shot selection and more focus on distributing...

But his shooting is still just unacceptable in the vast majority of games. These are not the numbers that will get you starting or major minutes on other B1G teams. It needs to improve, and it isn't. He's almost half way through his career and he's still taking open mid range jumpers over and over and over without being able to make them at an acceptable rate

1st bad game in a month?

3-10, 30%
1-6, 17%
2-9, 22%
1-7, 14%

He has played better in his overall game. His defense has been very good. The hustle energy and effort has been there. Signs of better shot selection and more focus on distributing...

But his shooting is still just unacceptable in the vast majority of games. These are not the numbers that will get you starting or major minutes on other B1G teams. It needs to improve, and it isn't. He's almost half way through his career and he's still taking open mid range jumpers over and over and over without being able to make them at an acceptable rate
He doesn't ever try to create and get good looks for teammates. He's 100% selfish iso game. Even more sickening is his attitude and immaturity. The showboat technical which he laughed off, and in another game being exuberant after 1 nice layup (and a 3 point play) despite being lit up himself in a game we were way behind in.

Factoring everything in and if I got to pick, of all the regular players including Woolfolk and Oskar, Simpson would be the one player I'd want off the team.

Missed some good shots is hardly selfish.
Did you want him to drive the ball to the hoop against Edey? Really? SMH
On a team of poor shooters. Hate for Simpson is odd.
Leading team in assists for most of year is hardly selfish. O and Hyatt dropped pretty passes yesterday.
Usually only guy breaking the ball up.
Constant pressure on D.
Constant hustle.
Constant effort.
Constant motor.
Constant desire.
Best Foul Shooter on team.
Not afraid to take and make big shots.
Still only a sophomore.
If Dylan and Ace are one and done next, wouldn’t you want Senior leadership the following year?

Those are characteristics I want on my team.
Had a rough game yesterday. Who didn’t?
Plenty of blame to go around.
Another prime example of specific Simpson bashing that we are supposed to ignore?

Reactions: biazza38
Missed some good shots is hardly selfish.
Did you want him to drive the ball to the hoop against Edey? Really? SMH
On a team of poor shooters. Hate for Simpson is odd.
Leading team in assists for most of year is hardly selfish. O and Hyatt dropped pretty passes yesterday.
Usually only guy breaking the ball up.
Constant pressure on D.
Constant hustle.
Constant effort.
Constant motor.
Constant desire.
Best Foul Shooter on team.
Not afraid to take and make big shots.
Still only a sophomore.
If Dylan and Ace are one and done next, wouldn’t you want Senior leadership the following year?

Those are characteristics I want on my team.
Had a rough game yesterday. Who didn’t?
Plenty of blame to go around.
Another prime example of specific Simpson bashing that we are supposed to ignore?
Seems like you have absolutely no idea what a good shot is, honestly. Iso mid range contested jumpers early in the clock by a guy who is a poor shooter to begin with are terrible shots. Those aren’t even good shots for good shooters.

Look at his percentages. If those were good shots he wouldn’t consistently miss them and he wouldn’t have watched the second half from the bench.

He has no shame or interest in team offense.

1st bad game in a month?

3-10, 30%
1-6, 17%
2-9, 22%
1-7, 14%

First over/all bad game. Perfectly acknowledge has had some poor shooting games. Did you really want him taking it to the rim against Edey?

Has more than compensated with defense, hustle, rebounds, assists, steals, etc.
Who on the this team has been this brilliant shooter? I’ll await your response.
Hyatt? Gavin? JMike? Mags?
Whose shooting on this team has been “acceptable”? Why is Simpson criticized more than anyone else?

Who has taken better shots?
William, I’ll give you. That’s it. But have only have had me for a few games.
Still only a sophomore and why you may say he is almost halfway through his college career I can easily say we still have a quarter and maybe a third of the season to play. Last time I checked we still have five more league games, at least one in the B1G tourney and maybe more in the NIT.
Best foul shooter on the team so I’ll take my chances that his shot will eventually fall
More strength, repetition and even confidence if this Board stops ripping him.

Seems like you have absolutely no idea what a good shot is, honestly. Iso mid range contested jumpers early in the clock by a guy who is a poor shooter to begin with are terrible shots. Those aren’t even good shots for good shooters.

Look at his percentages. If those were good shots he wouldn’t consistently miss them and he wouldn’t have watched the second half from the bench.

Who on this team has a good shooting percentage? Who should Simpson be emulating? Dozens of missed layups. Our stellar three point percentage? Our mid range jumpers?

I await your response with your profound wisdom of basketball which no other fans can see. It’s not like Simpson is the best foul shooter on the team and one day it can finally all click. It’s not he can get open by raw speed. Its not like he’s the only guy who can get open by himself. It’s not like last time I looked he was only a sophomore. I hope to have so much more basketball knowledge and wisdom one day.

Maybe it’s just me but I admire a guy who in a game like Northwestern, where every possession matters and is the primary ball handler, goes 32 minutes with one turnover.
That’s not team ball!! That’s being purely selfish!

It’s not like for 95% of the year he lead the team in assists with some guys having the best set of hands in all of college basketball. That’s not team ball.

Its not like yesterday very early on Ogbole and Hyatt dropped two beautiful feeds from Simpson in the lane. I did not see those passes because I honestly don’t know what a good pass is.

I don’t know playing good defense, I don’t know constantly creating havoc on D, I don’t know leading the team in steals and assists. I don’t know hustle and desire. I don’t know making clutch shots and leading comebacks, I don’t know leading the team in free throws. That type of player has no shame or in interest in team offense. SMH

I hope you know sarcasm as well as you claim to know basketball.

I know what you are saying but I actually thought he wasn't playing as selfish or reckless.....except for that one time in the lane where he spun and spun and just refused to pass and threw off that stupid leaning throw at the rim.
Bottom line is he just doesn't make the shots. He's clearing not alone.
You got 2 guys..TWO! making shots lately. JW and Nando.
Don't know who recruits and runs a worse offense. Greg or Pike.

I can easily say we still have a quarter and maybe a third of the season to play.
for the record 6/34 is 17.6% (min)
8/36 is 22%
10/38 is 26% (4 tourney games ?)

The thing I do really like about DS is his ability to do the other things.

Reactions: Scangg
I know what you are saying but I actually thought he wasn't playing as selfish or reckless.....except for that one time in the lane where he spun and spun and just refused to pass and threw off that stupid leaning throw at the rim.
Bottom line is he just doesn't make the shots. He's clearing not alone.
You got 2 guys..TWO! making shots lately. JW and Nando.
Don't know who recruits and runs a worse offense. Greg or Pike.
Purdue runs offense to get people open. We don't. We rely isolation offense, our guy needs to beat his man and then often beat the help defense to get a shot. This is our offense because Pike emphasizes athleticism in recruiting and is why GG is a fish out of water here. He'd be a totally different player on a team with structured offense.

Every player on Purdue is a better passer than every player on our roster.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Purdue runs offense to get people open. We don't. We rely isolation offense, our guy needs to beat his man and then often beat the help defense to get a shot. This is our offense because Pike emphasizes athleticism in recruiting and is why GG is a fish out of water here. He'd be a totally different player on a team with structured offense.

Every player on Purdue is a better passer than every player on our roster.
no argument from me here except it is not the only reason we run this offense. He doesn't know HOW to run an offense, design an inbounds, or last minute shot.

First over/all bad game. Perfectly acknowledge has had some poor shooting games. Did you really want him taking it to the rim against Edey?

Has more than compensated with defense, hustle, rebounds, assists, steals, etc.
Who on the this team has been this brilliant shooter? I’ll await your response.
Hyatt? Gavin? JMike? Mags?
Whose shooting on this team has been “acceptable”? Why is Simpson criticized more than anyone else?

Who has taken better shots?
William, I’ll give you. That’s it. But have only have had me for a few games.
Still only a sophomore and why you may say he is almost halfway through his college career I can easily say we still have a quarter and maybe a third of the season to play. Last time I checked we still have five more league games, at least one in the B1G tourney and maybe more in the NIT.
Best foul shooter on the team so I’ll take my chances that his shot will eventually fall
More strength, repetition and even confidence if this Board stops ripping him.
Looking forward to your "still only a junior" posts next season game after game when Simpson most likely still can't shoot

Simpson's FG% has been a train wreck this season, but he is far from the only one in our locker room with this issue. Here is a link to a site with B1G players' per-game averages, sorted to FG%. There are 94 players on the list. I don't know the minimum minutes/shots etc. criteria to qualify. Only the seven guys with numbers by their names below made their list.

For comparison: #94 Jamie Kaiser Jr., Maryland, .248 (1.1 - 4.6 per game) WOW

#93 Gavin Griffiths .315
#91 Derek Simpson .325
#86 Noah Fernandes .371
#85 Jamichael Davis .376
#82 Aundre Hyatt .383

Mawot Mag .393
Jeremiah Williams .409
Oskar Palmquist .434

Antwone Woolfolk .475
#31 Austin Williams .479
#27 Cliff Omoruyi .509

For another reference point, we all loved Caleb's D and did not love his O. He was at .395 last season.

Big Ten FG% on the season

no argument from me here except it is not the only reason we run this offense. He doesn't know HOW to run an offense, design an inbounds, or last minute shot.
C’mon now. Pike has been a very successful head coach here and elsewhere. He played major D1 and has solid assistants. Xs and Os aren’t his issue. He knows how to inbound, geez. He can watch any other team video at any level and learn from them if he needed to, which he doesn’t.

Inbounds, late clock, etc problems again tie back to the types of players he targets. They can’t pass in the flow of the game, they can’t anticipate, they can’t react and adjust.

several of the players are top athletes lacking high major basketball ability, and yes that makes simple things like inbounds plays difficult.

So, this is the type of player Pike wants. Blame him for recruiting which does undermine some aspects of the game, but he does know Xs and Os. It’s just that his players can’t execute.

Not saying it wasn’t embarrassing to say the least but to watch that game and say Gavin had a good game is just not accurate. Nobody had a good game
Agree. Seems bac is doing a lot of wishful thinking, re: GG.

Last edited:
C’mon now. Pike has been a very successful head coach here and elsewhere. He played major D1 and has solid assistants. Xs and Os aren’t his issue. He knows how to inbound, geez. He can watch any other team video at any level and learn from them if he needed to, which he doesn’t.

Inbounds, late clock, etc problems again tie back to the types of players he targets. They can’t pass in the flow of the game, they can’t anticipate, they can’t react and adjust.

several of the players are top athletes lacking high major basketball ability, and yes that makes simple things like inbounds plays difficult.

So, this is the type of player Pike wants. Blame him for recruiting which does undermine some aspects of the game, but he does know Xs and Os. It’s just that his players can’t execute.
Totally Disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT