ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Basketball Has Gotten Worse Offensively Since Last Season. Fact, not opinion

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
No team is going to go from bottom dweller to National Championship contender overnight. What Pike has done in his first 4 years here is very impressive and if we make the Tournament this year that would undeniably be a huge success.

Obviously the offense is a concern but here is some perspective. In Eddie Jordan's last season we were 303 in Kenpom's offensive efficiency rating and this year we are #100. That is a major improvement. We've even improved more than 50 spots in Kenpom's offensive ratings from last year to this year so I don't agree that we are regressing offensively. I get that the offense is still frustrating at times but it's not fair to say we've plateaued yet. Plus I still think Baker's injury has been a temporary setback offensively, he is much better than he is playing right now.

And I'm not even going to deny the possibility that Pike is the guy to get us back to the tournament and then we need another coach to take the next step beyond that but it's way too early to be having that conversation. When you look at the overall improvement of the team during the Pike era, it is impossible to deny that he has done a great job here so far.

Reactions: bac2therac
No team is going to go from bottom dweller to National Championship contender overnight. What Pike has done in his first 4 years here is very impressive and if we make the Tournament this year that would undeniably be a huge success.

Obviously the offense is a concern but here is some perspective. In Eddie Jordan's last season we were 303 in Kenpom's offensive efficiency rating and this year we are #100. That is a major improvement. We've even improved more than 50 spots in Kenpom's offensive ratings from last year to this year so I don't agree that we are regressing offensively. I get that the offense is still frustrating at times but it's not fair to say we've plateaued yet. Plus I still think Baker's injury has been a temporary setback offensively, he is much better than he is playing right now.

And I'm not even going to deny the possibility that Pike is the guy to get us back to the tournament and then we need another coach to take the next step beyond that but it's way too early to be having that conversation. When you look at the overall improvement of the team during the Pike era, it is impossible to deny that he has done a great job here so far.

Some of our resident board "superstars" seem to have forgotten just how bad we were prior to Pike's arrival, just how long it takes to build a solid and consistently contending program and just how good the teams we are playing and competing against in the BIG. Perhaps they want to go back 4+ years to the days of 70 point blowout losses. This year is essentially the first time the team has been relevant since Gary Waters was the coach in 2006.....and guys like the OP are bashing the coach who has brought nothing but progression and to a bubble NCAA tourney team to one of the worst programs in college basketball prior to his arrival.

this. we've been a bad team for about a month now, we just played some teams who couldn't hit water if they were in a boat. If Maryland couldve sunk some of their open looks from 3 last night we're looking at a 15+ point loss.
Just a stupid post. Maryland would have never scored again for the last 6 minutes of the game if we didn’t commit the ticky tack fouls. Cowan wasn’t scoring , Smith wasn’t scoring , no one. Smith hit 3 long threes , one early second half and two layups off of fast breaks . He did no damage down low because Myles and our defense stopped him. Montez, had to stay up on Cowan , because he hit the earlier 3 from above the top of the key, and got his hand stuck in and Cowan pulled a Harden move for the three foul shots . Maryland played like 10 minutes of halfway decent offense and otherwise we shut their asses down. They were very lucky to win the game , because of our failure to extend the first half lead, and Caleb’s rough 3 minute end game stretch . You are a ridiculous drama queen but your take on Pike is so over the top bad . Pike seems to be taking advantage of height mismatches for Ron , Akwasi and Caleb .His plays out of timeouts are normally very good. Those are just 2 examples of how wrong your bullshit opinion is. Sometimes the players, and I do not like mentioning names , but the 2 that are in huge slumps, have to play better kinda like they are capable , make a damn open shot and guess what , the offense looks a lot better. Pike has forgotten more basketball than you will ever learn . Get out of here with this take at this time of the year. Classless and stupid is no way to go through life.!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT