ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Basketball Has Gotten Worse Offensively Since Last Season. Fact, not opinion

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
I fully expected a tourney bid coming into this season and I posted pre-season that anything other than a tourney birth was a failure. But we have people celebrating that we're even in contention for the tourney. We've set a low bar. Tourney or bust this year especially considering how we started B1G play
Don't understand if you are a troll or actual fan. How long have you been watching college basketball? Credit to you for a good prediction for this season but you were in the small majority. Just because you have expectations at some level doesn't mean you are right.

I don't know so even if your expectations were higher than mine they're currently right where you think they should be at 29th in the NET. Agree with your sky is the limit mentality, but the timeline is just tough. Gotta keep building and this year has been huge for that.

Took a broken down car, turned it into a reliable car over the past couple of years, finally got a luxury car this year...hopefully a supercar is in the future.
kyk is completely delusional. There is no reason to entertain him. Apparently we need to be a top 10 team this year to meet his expectations

I don't know so even if your expectations were higher than mine they're currently right where you think they should be at 29th in the NET. Agree with your sky is the limit mentality, but the timeline is just tough. Gotta keep building and this year has been huge for that.

Took a broken down car, turned it into a reliable car over the past couple of years, finally got a luxury car this year...hopefully a supercar is in the future.
imagine we didn't have yeboah last night or this year for that matter? Going to be very tough to replace him. We need grad transfers in here bad guys who can play ball because pike has proven he can't really win the battles against top tier competition for high school kids on the trail. Ron had a nebraska offer, no one knows what actually offers mulcahy had, montez had a handful of p5 offers, outside of that we've beaten out basically mid and low majors for kids.

Same guy who uttered these pearls of wisdom...

"kyk1827 said:
He had a few pops and drank. No one got hurt, he blew a stop sign. Suspending him for 1 game or 3 isnt gonna change his life. Relax"

pikes a great defensive coach. In 2020 offense wins basketball games though. This thread is about offense which we're horrific at and very poorly coached on that end of the floor
Except for the tiny fact that Virginia won the national championship playing defense. Yes, the offense has been lacking. But again, what part of this team having a net ranking of 240+ when Pike took over don’t you understand? Did you expect him to all of a sudden land a bunch of four star sharp shooters? The fact that we have a chance to make the NCAA tournament this year is incredible. Year freaking four man. Are you serious?!? We beat the piss out of our in state rival by 20. And you’re mad because we’re scoring more?!? I get it, but seriously relax. We hit a wall. It sucks. Either they fight their way out of it or they fold. Pike’s done a good job recruiting, not great. Yes, he has lost guys like Hyatt, Massoud, Alvarado, etc, but again we don’t go the bag man route and we have to win first. I understand some frustration but breathe man. Seriously breathe. You haven’t been following this program that long and frankly your basketball takes are freezing cold sometimes

pikes a great defensive coach. In 2020 offense wins basketball games though. This thread is about offense which we're horrific at and very poorly coached on that end of the floor
If this were true we would have a losing record. You seem so unhappy. Pike is not a horrendous offensive coach - he is doing what he can to win games given the obvious fact that we don't have enough solid shooters at this point to be a great team. Still a very solid team that is tough to beat.

This is extremely concerning when you consider we returned everyone of consequence, team got "older" and replaced Eugene with a more efficient offensive player in Yeboah.

premise is off..
- Eugene averaged 13.8 points in 29.2 minutes.. .473 pts per min
-Yeboah is 10.1 over 22.9 minutes.. .441 ppm

That was whole season vs whole season to this point.. I doubt limiting to conference games would change this much

That you did not check this is disturbing for your whole post

We are putting much more effort into defense this year and that will cost you on offense but so far it has been well worth it.

are we winning these games because of offense?
The offense is .001 points per possession behind last season, but RU's W/L record is way ahead. Brilliant conclusion. Have another beer and call Über.:chairshot:

This thread is getting silly so we should cut to the chase- what is Kyk's solution? Show Pike the door? Get an offensive minded assistant in the offseason? Or hire Kyk as an assistant coach?
Kyk has claimed he can out play anyone on this board one on one fwiw.

imagine we didn't have yeboah last night or this year for that matter? Going to be very tough to replace him. We need grad transfers in here bad guys who can play ball because pike has proven he can't really win the battles against top tier competition for high school kids on the trail. Ron had a nebraska offer, no one knows what actually offers mulcahy had, montez had a handful of p5 offers, outside of that we've beaten out basically mid and low majors for kids.

Yeboah has been Huge so far this year, but you can't tell me this is what you think of their pieces and then say you expected them to dance this year. I didn't think what's gone on this year was going to happen until next year.

I usually look for the big jump come Jr year and thought people were getting a little too excited about Harper

Mulcahy (only true PG) was only going to be a Fr and that is brutal in a conference like this unless you're an ultra elite player

I wasn't sure if they were going to all buy in and accept that the PT was going to be shared as a lot of guys are similar/have similar abilities

It's honestly been crazy fun watching these guys gel this year the way they have

They're ahead of schedule with their best player hurt/slumping and with who many thought could be their best player having a rough stretch in conference play

Reactions: IL Lusciato
I agree the offense needs to get better, but the B1G is a better league this year than last year. 598% Win % 2018-19 vs. 62% in 2019-20.

how much better defensively do you want them to play,

7th out of 353 Defense efficiency
15th out of 353 pts allowed

Since January 3 to February 4,

Neb. 20/63 31.7% 8/31 25.8%
PSU. 22/61 36.1% 6/26 23.1%
Ill. 18/63 28.6% 2/14 14.3%
Indi. 19/60 31.7% 2/19 10.5%
Minn 19/53 35.8% 9/28 32.1%
Iowa. 29/53 52.7% 9/25 36%
Neb. 26/62 41.9% 11/28 39.3%
Purd. 25/61 41.0% 6/22 27.3%
Mich. 22/47 46.8% 9/19 47.4%
Md. 18/53 34.0% 8/27 29.6%
Total 218/576 37.8% 70/239 29.3%

Iowa(#3 offense efficiency) definitely hurt our confidence for the next 3 games but I'd say our defense is getting back on track after last night even without JY.

Our adjusted offensive efficiency is better this year than last year. The whole premise of this thread is wrong.

Reactions: ILikePike
Kyk, making such a dramatic statement based on a .001 difference is kinda weak but I do agree with the premise that we have struggled offensively and players have not made the jump they should have. We don't run enough offensive plays. If we had better 1 on 1 players we wouldn't need to but since we struggle so much to score we should be running sets aay more often.

Let's just say Pike cant coach offense... what are Hobbs and Knight doing? Neither of them can? I heard a year or so ago Hobbs runs the offense. Maybe we need to switch that up? If I'm a defensive coach and know that is my specialty then I would want a top assistant who is an offensive mind to balance that out.

Why don't we find the mismatches and exploit them with our size at the guard and wing position?

Why don't we try to go to the hot hands more and get them the ball?

Why do we not run sets and have terrible possessions followed up with possessions where we still don't run sets?

There are definitely some questions about the offense but it would be covered up more if we could just make some shots. We shot 30 something from 2 and teens from 3 last game. Just going to be hard to win any games that way

I fully expected a tourney bid coming into this season and I posted pre-season that anything other than a tourney birth was a failure. But we have people celebrating that we're even in contention for the tourney. We've set a low bar. Tourney or bust this year especially considering how we started B1G play

Dude ..you are off base here....andi Made it clear this preseason ...and also predicted we will dance this year

We are right where we should be ...we are three close losses (Iowa, Illinois and Maryland) from being 19-4 and close too Top ten ...which can also be flipped that we just as easily could have been a couple of more losses and 13-10

You are what your record says ...for a reason

Now....what you can say...with fair assertation...is that for us to take the next step from our current level ...and become an elite ...it’s going to require us to play the same level of defense and rebounding ...and getting better on offense, especially in the half court

Improving 3-5 points a game next year (scoring around 75 game) as we get older and decelop will be the key if we are going to become a complete team and and be a team with legit aspirations of a major ncaa tournament run ...

With 165 of 200 minutes returning, I’ll take my coaches with this group that the offense comes ....and a historic season (by our standards) in 2020-2021

you may have a little height on me but i got that silverback heart and would run circles around you.

KYK- 12
SCANGG- 4
I'd have 4 points and you would have only touched the ball when you check it back to me. You can't handle my size and weight. You'll be wondering why Myles doesn't throw his butt around the way I would. Exploit the mismatch the way Pike never does lol. Bully ball.

Also, I broke my HS 3 point records so I can shoot too... Just wouldn't need to.

Cardio and age keep it closer than it should

Reactions: Vegas pj
We start recruiting better shooters, they don't have an interest in playing D. If we can't play D, we'll lose since we'll generally not have the best talent in the league --- because well it just never seems to happen for us.

So we have no choice but to play Pikes style, and i'll take 20 years of being competitive and hopefully see more gradual progress to the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Did you watch the 2019 season?

Virginia won the national championship.....

To be fair....did you see Virginia in the 2018 NCAA tournament?

Also, UVA had to score 85 pts to win that 2019 championship game and another 80pts to beat Purdue in the Elite 8 OT game.

Pike recruited Yeboah. He's now a Sr. Give it time. Let Pike recruit his guys. No commentator us saying RU is under-manned. Our games have been competitive and we have blown out good teams. Mostly with sophmores.

Relax. The sky isn't falling.

LOL. Stop bringing up facts you’ll screw up the thread!
2019 virginia: wins national championship, #2 nationally in offensive efficiency, #5 nationally in team defense. 3 nba draft picks

2018 virginia: #30 nationally in offensive efficiency, #1 nationally in team defense.

now let me explain to you what happened in these two seasons.

2018: first ever #1 seed to lose to a #16 despite having the #1 defense nationally.

2019: defense still great but not as good as 2018, but offense take a big leap. National champs.

so i think what you meant to say is uva’s offense won them their natty
giphy.gif

2019 virginia: wins national championship, #2 nationally in offensive efficiency, #5 nationally in team defense. 3 nba draft picks

2018 virginia: #30 nationally in offensive efficiency, #1 nationally in team defense.

2018: first ever #1 seed to lose to a #16 despite having the #1 defense nationally.

2019: defense still great but not as good as 2018, but offense take a big leap. National champs.

And I'm sure you would have been moaning and calling for his head in Bennet's 3rd and 4th season, too, pointing to his stint at WSU and saying that he couldn't coach offense and that the team needed to go in a different direction.

Data from college-reference.com:
2010: 166th ORtg, 137th DRtg
2011: 230th ORtg, 154th DRtg
2012: 170th ORtg, 2nd DRtg
2013: 107th ORtg, 16th DRtg
2014: 89th ORtg, 9th DRtg
2015: 32nd ORtg, 2nd DRtg
2016: 16th ORtg, 47th DRtg
2017: 100th ORtg, 6th DRtg
2018: 58th ORtg, 2nd DRtg
2019: 4th ORtg, 6th DRtg
2020: 334th ORtg, 1st DRtg

And I'm sure you would have been moaning and calling for his head in Bennet's 3rd and 4th season, too, pointing to his stint at WSU and saying that he couldn't coach offense and that the team needed to go in a different direction.

Data from college-reference.com:
2010: 166th ORtg, 137th DRtg
2011: 230th ORtg, 154th DRtg
2012: 170th ORtg, 2nd DRtg
2013: 107th ORtg, 16th DRtg
2014: 89th ORtg, 9th DRtg
2015: 32nd ORtg, 2nd DRtg
2016: 16th ORtg, 47th DRtg
2017: 100th ORtg, 6th DRtg
2018: 58th ORtg, 2nd DRtg
2019: 4th ORtg, 6th DRtg
2020: 334th ORtg, 1st DRtg
Should we forget the fact he danced in his third year and got ranked as high as 15?

Should we forget the fact he danced in his third year and got ranked as high as 15?

I'm sure you would have if you were a UVA fan in Year 4, claiming it was a fluke and he only did it with the prior coach's players - and look what happened after Scott graduated, we're missing the dance! The sky is falling! Get your pitchforks and torches, this guy can't coach offense!

:eyeroll:

I don't watch enough or know BB as well as FB but what I see is a team that is much better than last year even though the offense has not improved all that much or if at all. .001 is a hard number to grasp to make a hard decision on but I kind of understand what kyk meant that we should have been seeing an improvement, not staying the same.
But the thing is, as much as we have improved as a team, we still do not have the talent to always just go toe to toe with our opponents and we do need that final missing piece. Pike, well, he is doing what a good coach has to do, find a way to keep his talent in games and have a shot to win it. I didn't really think we were going to win more than 16 this year coming into the season so in my book, he is at least a year ahead of where I thought he would be. I just hope we do not see a collapse from this point forward.

I just dont get these expectations. Why is the bar raised? Rutgers is at a disadvantage and will always be at a disadvantage until we get the things that other programs have. Yes Rutgers have improved their situation but they are still not where they need to be.

Ohio state, michigan, michigan state, purdue, Iowa, illinois, maryland, wisconson, and indiana ALL have better facilitates than us, better university support, better fan support, better history, more money, same academic profiles.... the list goes on. There is ZERO reason to pick Rutgers over any of these schools unless you are an underrated player that wants to play in Big 10, your parents came here or you want to stay home. That is it. As of right now these are the only reasons you would come to rutgers.

Reactions: ILikePike
Maryland is undefeated at home and has more talent. Tough game. Illinois went to Iowa and lost.

giphy.gif

i am confused. Do you want pikiell to win the NCAA tournement this year? you cant compare benentt year 11 vs pikiell year 4. you need to compare bennett year 4 to pikiell year 4.

Bennett was able to get NBA players by building virginia on defense. I think that is the point. Pikiell is building rutgers like bennett built virginia. it wasnt overnight. The only difference is Pikiell is doing it under much tougher circumstances.

you may have a little height on me but i got that silverback heart and would run circles around you.

KYK- 12
SCANGG- 4

That’s funny, I always figured your heart was a medically inserted block R magnet. Bad for circulation

I'm surprised this thread is still going when the best offensive team in the B1G gave up 104 points last night to Purdue and 61 of them before halftime.

There's a level being nitpicky and then there's gross negligence on effort, coaching and actually having pride in your team. If RU gave up 104 points in Year 9 or 10 of the Pike era and was still projected to make the NCAAs comfortably, are we really sure we have an issue??

If you are Iowa, do you honestly feel like you're going to get every ticky/tack touch foul on the road or a neutral court and shoot 20 more FTs each game.....or do you actually coach defense and show that you prepared for the game.

The fans like "shooters", which is the equivalent of saying "we need a QB in football" and having no lineman on either side of the ball.....then when the QB doesn't score 35 points a game and completes 90% of his throws, it's the offensive teams fault they didn't score enough.

I just dont get these expectations. Why is the bar raised? Rutgers is at a disadvantage and will always be at a disadvantage until we get the things that other programs have. Yes Rutgers have improved their situation but they are still not where they need to be.

Ohio state, michigan, michigan state, purdue, Iowa, illinois, maryland, wisconson, and indiana ALL have better facilitates than us, better university support, better fan support, better history, more money, same academic profiles.... the list goes on. There is ZERO reason to pick Rutgers over any of these schools unless you are an underrated player that wants to play in Big 10, your parents came here or you want to stay home. That is it. As of right now these are the only reasons you would come to rutgers.
Lol, have you seen the APC? Every objective coach who comes in says it can compete with pretty much any facility. The bar is raised because the playing field is even now. Facilities, fan support (selling out every 2020 home game). We have no excuses.

We need guys like harper and JY to drive hard into the paint and then kick to yeboah, tez, or mcconnell for a catch and shoot 3. Notice I said CATCH AND SHOOT. No hesitation, no pump fake and then dribble 5 feet only to pass away. If youre open, you let it fly. We need to get back in rhythm, partislly why we shot so bad is not committing to shots from outside.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Not by much but we have gotten ever so slightly worse. Last year in B1G play we averaged .987 points per possession, this year we've averaged .986 points per possession. This is extremely concerning when you consider we returned everyone of consequence, team got "older" and replaced Eugene with a more efficient offensive player in Yeboah. Your core is supposed to make their biggest jump between freshman to soph year and we just haven't seen that.

Here's the problem, pike is a horrendous offensive coach. His entire system just relies on motivation and playing hard and hoping you can turn the other team over and convert it into transition buckets. If teams can slow down Steve Pikiell teams, we're screwed because he simply cannot be teaching a half court offense because we run the half court offense similar to that of a middle school jv team. Yes, that sounds harsh but it's honestly true unfortunately.

In Pike's 11 years in the American East he only won the conference tourney once, his 11th year. Now some would say, that's not fair to judge him on because between 2009-2016 he either won the regular season or made it to the american east title game. Then to me the question begs, if you were the 1 for 8 in the conference tourney when you won the regular season or made the title game what happened? To me I think what happens is pikes entire program is based on motivating guys and getting them to play hard. Come march EVERY team is motivated and playing hard, so he falls on his face because he can't out coach his opposition. In that conference he had talent no par with his peers, here he doesnt.

I've had concerns over Pike and personally, I think we're seeing his ceiling before our eyes. He's going to be very limited in what he can do because he simply doesn't coach offensive basketball. 11-9 is probably our absolute ceiling in years when the big ten is full of good teams, not great teams, which is this year. Down the stretch, 6 of our 8 remaining opponents will be highly motivated to secure tourney position, the two that won't are NW (out) and Maryland who's comfortably in at this point. We're about to see a collapse and an NIT and no, to me that's not an accomplishment.

Maybe we should just fire "limited" and "horrendous" Pike as you put it? Fire him f'ng now dammit!!

on second thought......

Maybe you can booze it up some more and belligerently make fun of players with concussions again? Much more entertaining take.

My question for this fanbase is....does there not exist another team on the floor when RU plays. MD is ranked #9 for a reason....and much of that comes down to the tough "D" they play as well.

If an RU team that has not seen any type of post season tourney play in decades can manage to stave off your severe disappointment of making the NIT and manages to make the NCAA .......maybe you should stay home.

Not exactly comparing apples to apples here. Offense is down across college basketball as a whole this year. We have moved up over 50 spots nationally since the end of last season in adjusted offensive efficiency despite not even improving by 1 point per possession. The 3 point line was moved back, shorter shot clock on offensive rebounds, but also, officials are letting a lot more slide this year (arm bars, hand checks, etc). Jay Bilas mentions in this article how “freedom of movement is dead.” https://es.pn/36yfz9q Now for anyone who has watched our games this year, you can tell that this actually plays in to our favor, and we are so damn physical on the perimeter. We do not have the guys to go out there and win games scoring in the 80s and 90s. Our best chances to win games are by making it ugly, holding teams to under 60 points.

John Beilein was a great offensive coach who routinely had defensive issues. He put his ego aside and hired Luke Yaklich to run the show on defense. Pikiell needs to do this, just reversed.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

giphy.gif

Your insights are not and have never been.

Reactions: ancienthooper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT