ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football adds Wagner to 2022 schedule

People on this board are just not realistic.

B1G 10 East
Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota on the road
A competitive P5 team and regional rival on the road (BC)
A weak G5 team on the road.

I wouldn't have a problem if we played one of the tailgate teams playing in a parking lot.

Last edited:
it's official....absolutely no shame in scheduling.
I heard Alabama was booked that weekend and they tried to schedule Georgia, but Temple wouldn't let them out of the contract.

We all understand your hatred of Schiano you've made your feelings abundantly clear. But complaining about a schedule that includes 4 teams ranked this year, plus Wisconsin, Minnesota and psu is not a hill to die on.

Here are some underwhelming match ups from this past season.

Nebraska/Fordham
Duquesne/TCU
Colgate/Boston College
Abilene Christian/SMU
Norfolk St/Wake Forest
Mercer/ALABAMA
Alabama St./Auburn
Western Carolina/Oklahoma
Idaho/Indiana
LIU/West Virginia
Sacramento St./Cal
Stony Brook/Oregon
Cent. Conn./Miami
Prairie View/Texas A&M
Charleston Southern/Georgia

I dare say that 90% of the FBS teams listed don't even come close to the level of our conference schedule.
Need I remind people here that our options 10 months before the game were extremely limited.

We're in a rebuild mode. No problem with this game after a tough opener, where we will be an underdog, on the road.

And we cancelled a home and home series with UCLA. Disgusting!
Wasn't that cancellation under the former staff?

From an article dated Feb. 1, 2018.

"NJ.com is reporting that Rutgers has already replaced the games against UCLA on their schedule with a home-and-home series against Syracuse. The games were originally scheduled in 2009 when Greg Schiano was Rutgers’ head coach"

"The article adds that current head coach Chris Ash “has placed an emphasis on playing regional non-conference rivals"

Last edited:
And we cancelled a home and home series with UCLA. Disgusting!
One had NOTHING to do with the other.

Ash cancelled the UCLA series because he wanted our annual P5 OOC to be a local matchup. We booked Syracuse and BC instead. Whether that was the right or wrong decision is water over the dam at this point.

But it had NOTHING to do with scheduling a cupcake as our 12th game in 2022. That was going to be a cupcake game regardless. The only question was how soft and gooey that cupcake would be.

One had NOTHING to do with the other.

Ash cancelled the UCLA series because he wanted our annual P5 OOC to be a local matchup. We booked Syracuse and BC instead. Whether that was the right or wrong decision is water over the dam at this point.

But it had NOTHING to do with scheduling a cupcake as our 12th game in 2022. That was going to be a cupcake game regardless. The only question was how soft and gooey that cupcake would be.

Great minds Worm. Great minds

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I heard Alabama was booked that weekend and they tried to schedule Georgia, but Temple wouldn't let them out of the contract.

We all understand your hatred of Schiano you've made your feelings abundantly clear. But complaining about a schedule that includes 4 teams ranked this year, plus Wisconsin, Minnesota and psu is not a hill to die on.
I don't hate him....and for the 32nd millionth time (over 8 years), my beef is that there are countless other coaches who could reach his 7-5 ceiling for half the price, and who we could therefore afford to fire if needed after 4 or 5 years.

He's not a terrible coach. He's an average coach with a contract that far surpasses his worth. If there was another program who was also interested in hiring him, please show your work.

Last edited:
Rutgers Football already has an image thanks to Chris Ash that will take years to shake … that said, a close game at halftime
or going into the 4th against Wagner will somehow stoop us even lower … cannot even imagine if the unthinkable happens

Rutgers Football already has an image thanks to Chris Ash that will take years to shake … that said, a close game at halftime
or going into the 4th against Wagner will somehow stoop us even lower … cannot even imagine if the unthinkable happens
It will be 30 something to nothing at half. People here were worried about Delaware.

Reactions: PaKnight
and the apologists will still blame Ash.

Actually went there for 2 yrs before transferring to RU. Back in the late 60s and early 70s they actually had some decent teams. Wow..........what a difference 50 yrs makes.

Reactions: ashokan
my beef is that there are countless other coaches who could reach his 7-5 ceiling for half the price, and who we could therefore afford to fire if needed after 4 or 5 years.

He's not a terrible coach. He's an average coach with a contract that far surpasses his worth. If there was another program who was also interested in hiring him, please show your work.
Tennessee.

Also find me a head coach that is willing to go to a B1G job for $2mil. please show your work. In that pay range you get an Ash or Flood. Also remember we're still near the bottom in B1G coaching salaries. They know the going rate and so do their agents, anyone you can come up with is nothing more than a gamble.

Last edited:
Once again. Considering our conference schedule and the limited options that we had I'm OK with this.
What happened to all the posters who said that if we are going to have a cupcake scheduled it should be a local one? Monmouth is booked. Wagner is the next closest FBS team discounting Princeton.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
There is nothing wrong with a nice easy win in the beginning of the season. Before bashing this future win, do a deep dive at how many SEC and ACC teams schedule late season creme puffs. Just look at the schedule of those 2 conferences the 2nd to last week of the season, before rivalry games. Oh, it goes way back as well.

At least we should not have scarred fans thinking we will get beat, like Delaware 😆.

There is nothing wrong with a nice easy win in the beginning of the season. Before bashing this future win, do a deep dive at how many SEC and ACC teams schedule late season creme puffs. Just look at the schedule of those 2 conferences the 2nd to last week of the season, before rivalry games. Oh, it goes way back as well.

At least we should not have scarred fans thinking we will get beat, like Delaware 😆.

Calling Wagner team a "cream puff" is being kind. They are more like roadkill - like challenging a flattened racoon to a race lol. They might struggle with Rowan.

Look at their stadium - would any other B1G team be playing another team with a CC stadium? RU should act like a B1G team imo. A SUNY team would be better than this

Zu4qha6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TM94goRU
What’s a tougher out — a cupcake or a creampuff? Trying to figure out the hierarchy on that.

Calling Wagner team a "cream puff" is being kind. They are more like roadkill - like challenging a flattened racoon to a race lol. They might struggle with Rowan.

Look at their stadium - would any other B1G team be playing another team with a CC stadium? RU should act like a B1G team imo. A SUNY team would be better than this

Zu4qha6.jpg
No stress win, we deserve a few of these games.

"The Seahawks will receive $425,000 for the game."

That's .5% of the school's endowment. That would be the equivalent of another school paying RU $8,000,000 to play a game.

They may be able to add an extra dirt water dog cart and a student section to those bleachers.

Zu4qha6.jpg

Once again I have no problem with this game when you take into account our conference schedule and the lack of available opponents.
Recently Wagner has been terrible but they have had good teams not too long ago. Last year some people were wringing their hands about playing Monmouth and how dangerous they were. As recent as 2018 Monmouth defeated Wagner by one score (54-47).
People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones. Wagner has actually won an NCAA football championship in D III (1987).

Last edited:
Once again I have no problem with this game when you take into account our conference schedule and the lack of available opponents.
Recently Wagner has been terrible but they have had good teams not too long ago. Last year some people were wringing their hands about playing Monmouth and how dangerous they were. As recent as 2018 Monmouth defeated Wagner by one score (54-47).
People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones. Wagner has actually won an NCAA football championship in D III (1987).

I can get the idea of an easy game/win. But this game could be 100-0. A fluff team for Ohio St is Buffalo (OSU won 40-20 in 2013) . I cant imagine OSU, MI , PSU etc playing Wagner. I don't think a team in one of largest and prestigious conferences in CFB should be playing a scrub team like Wagner.

A 3-9 Nebraska beat Fordham 52-7
A 6-5 Fordham beat Wagner 56-7
A B1G team should not be on the same field with Wagner just for a cheap W.
Media probably makes fun of this one
If score is close RU gets roasted. If RU blows them away RU gets roasted
Act like a B1G team. Wagner is a cupcake for other cupcakes imo

I didn't know the school was still around. Aren't they a Staten Island commuter school?
Their site says that two-thirds of students live on campus, which means they're not a commuter school. Despite what a poster said above, the nickname is the Seahawks. They have a grand total of 1750 undergrads and 450 graduate students. For more, see: https://wagner.edu/about/facts/

I can get the idea of an easy game/win. But this game could be 100-0. A fluff team for Ohio St is Buffalo (OSU won 40-20 in 2013) . I cant imagine OSU, MI , PSU etc playing Wagner. I don't think a team in one of largest and prestigious conferences in CFB should be playing a scrub team like Wagner.

A 3-9 Nebraska beat Fordham 52-7
A 6-5 Fordham beat Wagner 56-7
A B1G team should not be on the same field with Wagner just for a cheap W.
Media probably makes fun of this one
If score is close RU gets roasted. If RU blows them away RU gets roasted
Act like a B1G team. Wagner is a cupcake for other cupcakes imo
So, our 2nd and 3rd string get some real game reps. There is no downside to this. This is no different than the games Colbert listed.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT