ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football adds Wagner to 2022 schedule

I can get the idea of an easy game/win. But this game could be 100-0. A fluff team for Ohio St is Buffalo (OSU won 40-20 in 2013) . I cant imagine OSU, MI , PSU etc playing Wagner. I don't think a team in one of largest and prestigious conferences in CFB should be playing a scrub team like Wagner.

A 3-9 Nebraska beat Fordham 52-7
A 6-5 Fordham beat Wagner 56-7
A B1G team should not be on the same field with Wagner just for a cheap W.
Media probably makes fun of this one
If score is close RU gets roasted. If RU blows them away RU gets roasted
Act like a B1G team. Wagner is a cupcake for other cupcakes imo
I understand what you're saying but at this late date options were pretty limited. As for getting roasted...we're Rutgers. We'll get roasted no matter who we play.
I'm also pretty sure that at $425,00 the price was right considering our financials. eventhough we overpaid because we were desperate for a game. Compare this to the price tag for recent G5 games.

New Mexico $900,000
Eastern Michigan $860,000
Buffalo $900,000
Liberty $1 million
Texas St. $1.2 million
UMass $1.3 million

We're playing them ONCE. It's not like we set up a 10 year contract with them. I really can't see why so many people have their panties in a knot.
As for our B1G 10 brethren when our program reaches the level of teams that are perennial CFP caliber then yes no way we play the Wagners of the world.

Alabama had Miami, as a reasonable test. Then Southern Mississippi (3-9), New Mexico State (2-10), and Mercer as their THREE cupcakes. To suggest that RU's schedule is too lax, is holding RU to a higher standard than Bama.

Actually went there for 2 yrs before transferring to RU. Back in the late 60s and early 70s they actually had some decent teams. Wow..........what a difference 50 yrs makes.
I remember some good baseball at Wagner

I can't get my head around people that have any problem with this. We have 1 goal nextyear- well, besides moving forward as a program. But that one goal is to get to a bowl game. That is it.
SOS dosn't mean a damn thing right now and who cares if you go to one home game where the entire stress is not to burn the tailgate food or if the beer is cold enough.
As others point out- SEC teams have games like this all the time plus 2-3 other cupcakes for OOC games.

Enjoy that it means we only have to win 5 other games next year as the schedule is very difficult. Hope it is a nice early season weather game and enjoy a good time with friends.

I can get the idea of an easy game/win. But this game could be 100-0. A fluff team for Ohio St is Buffalo (OSU won 40-20 in 2013) . I cant imagine OSU, MI , PSU etc playing Wagner. I don't think a team in one of largest and prestigious conferences in CFB should be playing a scrub team like Wagner.

A 3-9 Nebraska beat Fordham 52-7
A 6-5 Fordham beat Wagner 56-7
A B1G team should not be on the same field with Wagner just for a cheap W.
Media probably makes fun of this one
If score is close RU gets roasted. If RU blows them away RU gets roasted
Act like a B1G team. Wagner is a cupcake for other cupcakes imo
So, only like you got is the cuse poster (playing Wagner the week after us btw).

Comparing cupcakes is a meaningless act. All teams schedule one, even those in the top 10. The time to complain about opponents or the schedule should have stopped the second we got into the B10.

Reactions: colbert17
more importantly...who is wagner's backup qb?
More importantly is he in the transfer portal?
Remember that QB Alex Thomson from Keyport went to Wagner, went as a grad transfer to Marshall, but did not get the starting job. He tried for the NFL, but apparently did not make it.

See, he should've come here!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Wagner? From Staten Island?

this is going to be Guido week to the nth degree!

Yes, roughly 2/3rd of Wagner students come from NY or NJ. But almost 70% of the students are women. It makes one wonder how they are able to field a football team when you consider that the undergraduate enrollment is only 1750.https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/wagner-college/student-life/diversity/#location_diversity
They field a football team the same way every D1 program does. They recruit football players and offer them scholarships. Then they recruit more football players and offer them walk-on roster spots.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
The worst FCS team in the country. Maybe we can treat it like an MLB spring training game and field a split squad with our 3rd and 4th stringers

Reactions: Bilderberg_News
Alabama had Miami, as a reasonable test. Then Southern Mississippi (3-9), New Mexico State (2-10), and Mercer as their THREE cupcakes. To suggest that RU's schedule is too lax, is holding RU to a higher standard than Bama.
Bama beat Mercer 48-14 - maybe less of a beating than Bama would give RU. Mercer is a cupcake for Bama but Wagner would be a cupcake for Mercer. Look at Mercer stadium vs Wagner (one sided field) - Wagner is like a community college. Locally, Middletown high school has a nicer field.

9ZflykA.jpg

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="EzJ29rk"><a href="">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Reactions: angmo and Phi_1055
Really no downside versus playing any other FCS team:
1. Get a win
2. First step toward bowl eligibility
3. (Hopefully) avoid injuries
4. Wimsatt builds confidence
5. Second and third-teamers get reps

Bama beat Mercer 48-14 - maybe less of a beating than Bama would give RU. Mercer is a cupcake for Bama but Wagner would be a cupcake for Mercer. Look at Mercer stadium vs Wagner (one sided field) - Wagner is like a community college. Locally, Middletown high school has a nicer field.

9ZflykA.jpg

Mercer #29 Wagner #128

Reactions: ashokan
They field a football team the same way every D1 program does. They recruit football players and offer them scholarships. Then they recruit more football players and offer them walk-on roster spots.
Sure-- I was teasing, at least in part. My guess is that they don't have many walk-ons given the size of that student body. They must *really* want to have sports programs if they are willing to allocate places to athletes -- given how small the enorllment, athletes on scholarships must take up a relatively large percentage of their enrollment. They probably feel that if they didn't have intercollegiate athletics, no one would have heard of them. It makes matters worse that their name is Wagner -- it would be easy for the casual observer to think they are named for New York Senator Robert Wagner of the 1930s or New York City Mayor Robert Wagner of the 1950s and 1960s, and therefore are probably part of the City University of New York. (They are named for a Wagner who made a major donation in the 19th century, so they are like us in that regard.)

Mercer #29 Wagner #128

Texas Tech, a team in a much better position than Rutgers, played #127 Houston Bapist in 2020.
South Carolina from the SEC played #125 Eastern Illinois this year and Indiana in 2019.
#25 Arizona State played #124 Southern Utah this year.
UNC played #123 Wofford this year
#122 Idaho State played BYU this year.
#108 Albany played Syracuse this year.

These games are fairly common, especially when there are holes to fill in the schedule and a very local team has an open date on the schedule.

Still amazed that this is a point of derision for some of our "fans."

Reactions: rufancoe00
Texas Tech, a team in a much better position than Rutgers, played #127 Houston Bapist in 2020.
South Carolina from the SEC played #125 Eastern Illinois this year and Indiana in 2019.
#25 Arizona State played #124 Southern Utah this year.
UNC played #123 Wofford this year
#122 Idaho State played BYU this year.
#108 Albany played Syracuse this year.

These games are fairly common, especially when there are holes to fill in the schedule and a very local team has an open date on the schedule.

Still amazed that this is a point of derision for some of our "fans."

We get almost nothing out of playing a team as bad as Wagner. A middling FCS team at least presents a slight challenge and learning opportunity for our players. I was in favor of playing Monmouth and UDel.

Waiting until now to fill our 2022 schedule is a poor excuse for throwing up our hands and saying Wagner is the best we could get.

Reactions: ashokan
Here are some underwhelming match ups from this past season.

Nebraska/Fordham
Duquesne/TCU
Colgate/Boston College
Abilene Christian/SMU
Norfolk St/Wake Forest
Mercer/ALABAMA
Alabama St./Auburn
Western Carolina/Oklahoma
Idaho/Indiana
LIU/West Virginia
Sacramento St./Cal
Stony Brook/Oregon
Cent. Conn./Miami
Prairie View/Texas A&M
Charleston Southern/Georgia

I dare say that 90% of the FBS teams listed don't even come close to the level of our conference schedule.
Need I remind people here that our options 10 months before the game were extremely limited.

We're in a rebuild mode. No problem with this game after a tough opener, where we will be an underdog, on the road.
Most colege football fans that I know think that Rutgers schedule is ridiculously tough. None of them are criticizing RU for adding a weak sister to fill an open spot.
BTW, most are still laughing at Nebraska/Fordham, Stony Brook/Oregon, and Central Connecticut/Miami.

We get almost nothing out of playing a team as bad as Wagner. A middling FCS team at least presents a slight challenge and learning opportunity for our players. I was in favor of playing Monmouth and UDel.

Waiting until now to fill our 2022 schedule is a poor excuse for throwing up our hands and saying Wagner is the best we could get.
Respectfully disagree, and we can leave it at that.

Great minds Worm. Great minds
It has everything to do with efforts to put Rutgers on a higher national platform. I understand that there is no direct causation between a decision several years ago and now; however, we want to be competitive with the big boys, yet we make little boy scheduling plans. Playing Wagner will be sure to help our recruiting efforts.

Good game to give Gavin and other 1st time starters some game experience prior to real season start.

Reactions: Kbee3
It has everything to do with efforts to put Rutgers on a higher national platform. I understand that there is no direct causation between a decision several years ago and now; however, we want to be competitive with the big boys, yet we make little boy scheduling plans. Playing Wagner will be sure to help our recruiting efforts.
Wagner is going negate OSU, Mich, PSU, MSt, Iowa etc????
How did Arky, Wash, Wash St help out?

This was going to be a UMass game at best. We have 9, yes, 9 B1G games plus a regional P5 game.
My mind is blowing up on talks of recruiting or National respect because of OOC games.
I will spell this out…until we are fighting for a NYD bowl, a game like Wagner does not hurt us in any way unless they beat us or hang close. On the other hand…if this extra win makes a difference between 5 or 6 wins next year- it is so much more of a positive.
it is pretty much impossible to have a weak SOS when playing in the B1G East

Wagner is going negate OSU, Mich, PSU, MSt, Iowa etc????
How did Arky, Wash, Wash St help out?

This was going to be a UMass game at best. We have 9, yes, 9 B1G games plus a regional P5 game.
My mind is blowing up on talks of recruiting or National respect because of OOC games.
I will spell this out…until we are fighting for a NYD bowl, a game like Wagner does not hurt us in any way unless they beat us or hang close. On the other hand…if this extra win makes a difference between 5 or 6 wins next year- it is so much more of a positive.
it is pretty much impossible to have a weak SOS when playing in the B1G East
Well, uh, OK, Wagner it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT