ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers Football QB Evan Simon set to enter transfer portal

Not surprised, but I'm not bellyaching about this. I don't think Simon brings anything other than depth. He's not a particularly good QB and I don't think he showed us anything last year that would make me fret his loss. I always thought Cole Snyder was better than him and well...Cole had plenty of playing time this year at Buffalo and didn't exactly shine. Good luck to the man, but I think Simon will keep warm the aluminum bench of a different color next year.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Absolutely the right decision for him vs sitting on the bench next year. On the other side Cole has entered the portal for his last year.

I suppose.. if you think you have been the better QB in practice and Spring game and you should have at least been given an open QB competition in preseason rather than having the "incumbent" blessed as the starter... yeah.. I can see why you might make a deal to stay, in case of disaster, but to reserve your redshirt.

And if that's what went down, it would explain all those cases where it seemed obvious that he should have been given the ball... but did not get it.

I wish him luck.

That handwriting was on the wall at the Wagner game, when Simon did not appear in garbage time. It was clear that there was an agreement to preserve his redshirt, and that he would be used only if necessary.

Will be interesting to see if he suits up for the bowl.
Nice theory but wrong, Simon was on the questionable list due to injury for the Wagner game, also you can play 4 games in a season & still get a redshirt for the season

i get that, but he still got onto a good program. Just saying Evan might want that opportunity, or go mid-major and play now. Anything is possible with Portal.
He latched onto a program on our level. Basically the same team, just in the West division. 100% lateral move.
In retrospect, probably would have been better off playing the last 8 games here of the year he chose to quit on the team as he clearly would have been a P5 starter during that stretch, if he stayed alive/healthy.

Reactions: Kbee3
Simon was not going to play anymore this year after getting dinged early If he was really dinged. He needed to protect the RS year he was gaining and I am sure breathed a sigh of relief after game 8. They also could not play Sheppard much once the 6 wins was achieved. For the same reason protect the RS. This is a new world with the portal. If you are a QB with 2 years of eligibility and not a starter you need to move on. Shepp still has 4 years so he has value to himself and to RU. That is why he did not play this year Other than mop up against Wagner. We now have Wim, Shep and AJ for 2024. Will be tough for AJ to crack starting as a FROSH, very few do. We may not like it, but Wim might still be the best shot Plaing QB is tough job for anyone, especially just out of HS. Get used to our underclass man QBs going to portal if they are not starting after year 1 and definitely after year2. Depth at QB will be tough for all teams, especially for teams like RU and the non-elites With the portal.
I wish Simon all the best. He was a Knight and always will be.

I was shocked he didn't transfer last season. Greg must have fed him some bs about an open competition to win the job. Fool me once...

No, he had no value to present at the end of last year based on how that season went. Now he was a bonafide #2 for a P5 team. Take that as you wish, but it does improve his choices this year. Will he get a P5 job, ???, but it gives him options there and many more at G5. As mentioned, I hope he gets the best solution. He was a Knight and always will be. Gotta root for all these kids to get the best and be the best they can be. Thanks Evan for all you put into this program.

He was in the back ground in the video of Schiano doing the dance moves looking like he was having a lot of fun. He will probably be feeling a little sad about leaving. But he wasn't going to get a whole lot of playing time if he stayed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT