ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers funding in jeopardy because of mass migration out of NJ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we will not
States cannot file bankruptcy
Well they won't call it bankruptcy, but that is exactly what it is. In order to fool the masses, they will give it a fancy name like "conservatorship" or "beneficial restructuring" or "taxpayer enhancement plan", but we all know what it really is.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Since the pensions are one of the biggest financial issues, there is one easy reform that would save a lot of money.

The workers like to fight every attempt at pension reform with the argument that they have paid "their fair share" into their pension (which is debatable). Well, the one thing that isn't debatable is that the workers have made their contributions as a % of whatever salary they were making at the time while currently their pension payout is paid based on their highest salaries.

If a teacher gets hired at 40,000 and retires at 90,000, and was paid an average salary of 70,000 during their working career, their pension should be based on 70,000, not 90,000. That is how their contributions came into the fund and that is what would be fair to them and the taxpayers.

Agreed. My dad for example started out making about 5K per year in 1949. By the time he retired he was probably making about 200K and thats what his pension was based on. He put into it for 40 years and my mom is still collecting it at age 95 which is 30 plus years add in the sweet health benefits. They got out a lot more than they put in.

Reactions: RU2131
It’s great. Great schools and people without an edge. Very friendly to us. Doylestown was named one of the top 10 towns under 10k in population in the USA. They’re positioning themselves well with 40 or so restaurants, good hospital, county seat, DelVal U and a big infusion of arts.

I like that Bucks Central is three school districts in one. East, North and West all with one Central Admin. NJ could use that in spades.

I’m loving the zippo income taxes on my retirement funds. In effect, pays my RE taxes...very welcome relief from Massachusetts.

Funny. Massachusetts would be a welcome relief from New Jersey. The old Taxachusetts from 40 years ago is gone. Their rates have gone down little or not at all. But the 3% top rate for New Jersey is DEAD AND GONE.

That still doesn’t explain why the pension should be paid on the highest base salaries instead of an average of the base salaries from the person’s working career (because that is how their contributions came in).
They should use the same tables the Social Security Admin uses. Won't get dick compared to what u paid in.

New Jersey Is Becoming The Most Hated State As Households Flee In Record Numbers
A new tax on millionaires, a 22.5% gas tax hike (bringing the total increase to 250% in 4 years), and now a tax on high frequency trades: it is becoming obvious to most - except perhaps the state's democratic leadership - that New Jersey is now actively trying to drive out its tax-paying population and top businesses with a series of draconian measures to balance its deeply underwater budget, instead of slashing spending. The state-imposed limitations on commerce, mobility and socialization due to the covid pandemic have also not helped. And in case it is still unclear, the trend of New Jersey's ultra wealthy residents fleeing for more hospitable tax domiciles which started with David Tepper years ago, is now spreading to members of the middle class.

According to the latest data from United Van Lines and compiled by Bloomberg, people have been flooding into Vermont, Idaho, Oregon and South Carolina, eager to flee such financially-challenged, high-tax, protest-swept, Democrat-controlled states as Connecticut, Illinois and New York. But no other state has seen a greater exodus than New Jersey, where out of every 10 moves, 7 have been households leaving the state, or nearly three times as many moved out than moved in.

This blog post uses facts so out of context or overinterpreted it would take a commentary five times as long tor rebut all its "conclusions". For example, moves out of the "hated" state of NJ versus the loved state of Arkansas are 6.9 out of 10 moves that leave NJ versus 4.1 out 10 moves that leave Arkansas. Doesn't sound so catastrophic anymore, does it?

And then if were to calculate how many people move into NJ from other states and other countries planning to stay for a short period of time and then leave, I bet the difference vanishes. Now, I don't have these numbers, but I bet the number of people moving into Arkansas with the intent of staying only a short time because of the awesome job opportunities and lifestyle is close to zero. But for all of you who want to move to Arkansas, please, as they say, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I occasionally do GIS stuff for work and NJ municipalities and zip codes are an absolute nightmare.
I've always been a geography nerd and am now an urban planning student at Bloustein. I currently have an internship with a county department where I am performing a lot of GIS work. I've never run into any zip related problems in my work, but you are right...

My grandmother has lived in the same house in Monroe Township (Middlesex County) since 1967. In the span of my lifetime (I'm a bit older than a traditional student) I'm pretty sure her mailing address has changed three times (due to the construction of a post office in Monroe) - from Jamesburg, to Spotswood, and finally Monroe.

What I've never been able to understand and still have a hard time wrapping my head around is the NY municipal level of government, and their system of "Towns" and "villages" (which exist within towns, but are separate government entities)...

Just look at the metal strip on the telephone pole. That will tell you what town you are in
Sometimes, but not always. Many times a pole number will end with the municipalities initials (HP, EB, etc) but its not always the case. Still a good point though, and not something that many people are aware of.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
They should use the same tables the Social Security Admin uses. Won't get dick compared to what u paid in.

And the people who complain about the pensions complain that the ss returns are unfair for what you pay. They argue both sides on this.

Employees contribute more to the pension than they do social security. I always hear how if people could just invest their own social security themselves they would get 3 to 5 times more. Well that is what happens with the pension and those same people complain about it.

So what is it

Reactions: LC-88
I've always been a geography nerd and am now an urban planning student at Bloustein. I currently have an internship with a county department where I am performing a lot of GIS work. I've never run into any zip related problems in my work, but you are right...

My grandmother has lived in the same house in Monroe Township (Middlesex County) since 1967. In the span of my lifetime (I'm a bit older than a traditional student) I'm pretty sure her mailing address has changed three times (due to the construction of a post office in Monroe) - from Jamesburg, to Spotswood, and finally Monroe.

What I've never been able to understand and still have a hard time wrapping my head around is the NY municipal level of government, and their system of "Towns" and "villages" (which exist within towns, but are separate government entities)...

Sometimes, but not always. Many times a pole number will end with the municipalities initials (HP, EB, etc) but its not always the case. Still a good point though, and not something that many people are aware of.

It never failed me

Houses for sale in Bergen & other areas of North Jersey are receiving multiple offers & selling for above the asking price.

Houses for sale in Bergen & other areas of North Jersey are receiving multiple offers & selling for above the asking price.
Let the old people retire and move out of New Jersey to allow the young families to move in. most old people can not afford to live in NJ.

It’s great. Great schools and people without an edge. Very friendly to us. Doylestown was named one of the top 10 towns under 10k in population in the USA. They’re positioning themselves well with 40 or so restaurants, good hospital, county seat, DelVal U and a big infusion of arts.

I like that Bucks Central is three school districts in one. East, North and West all with one Central Admin. NJ could use that in spades.

I’m loving the zippo income taxes on my retirement funds. In effect, pays my RE taxes...very welcome relief from Massachusetts.
We love that Italian joint next to Peddlers. I think it is called Villagio or something like that. Great place, we always look forward to it.

Yes, NJ schools districts need some serious consolidation!

We love that Italian joint next to Peddlers. I think it is called Villagio or something like that. Great place, we always look forward to it.

Yes, NJ schools districts need some serious consolidation!
Villagio has a great outdoor setup now. Come on over and spend your money here.

Lol

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Except the ones who CAN afford to live in new Jersey are the ones who are moving out.
Not in my family, they all got lots of money and they don’t even think about taxes including the $1 additional gas tax. People that have money don’t worry about money.

How many millions can you give to the kids?

Not in my family, they all got lots of money and they don’t even think about taxes including the $1 additional gas tax. People that have money don’t worry about money.

“ they all got lots of money “ ... tells me all we need to know.... did you go to Rutgers rutgersdave? Sure you did lol.

Well they won't call it bankruptcy, but that is exactly what it is. In order to fool the masses, they will give it a fancy name like "conservatorship" or "beneficial restructuring" or "taxpayer enhancement plan", but we all know what it really is.

So pensioners will own the turnpike which just last week we were told would net a $17 billion profit after all debt was paid off. Add the Parkway and then lets discuss Island Beach State Park and Liberty Park in JC.

Also the State budget is 40 billion and only 14 billion is constitutionally mandated so that leaves $26 billion available to creditors.

In your fantasy land you forget that debtors do not call all the shots creditors have rights

Hey, I noticed that with all the crap about terrible Democrats cities in New Jersey I found three of the best cities/towns in NJ run by an entire Democratic town council: Princton, Montgomery Township and Morristown. I think someone is always bragging about Montgomery Township.

“ they all got lots of money “ ... tells me all we need to know.... did you go to Rutgers rutgersdave? Sure you did lol.
Even an MBA from Rutgers. Even my parents, who didn’t even go to college, were able to leave a couple millions to the kids.

Hey, I noticed that with all the crap about terrible Democrats cities in New Jersey I found three of the best cities/towns in NJ run by an entire Democratic town council: Princton, Montgomery Township and Morristown. I think someone is always bragging about Montgomery Township.
. Towns born of privilege or so they tell us... add a few more but it’s not Newark , Irvington , Camden , Paterson so what’s the point? Until the others are like the first ones you clamored about don’t pound your chest.

I know an engineer in the Transit Authority. There is an unwritten rule that whenever someone in their department would be close to retirement, they would punch that person in and out so that the hours that person worked would be artificially inflated. Retirement pension is calculated off the last three years of salary. So it is not unusual for people making 70k to end up with 120k as their retirement money. The way they justify it is that they were underpaid compared to corporate, so it's sorta like payback time, so to speak. From what I understand this is common practice in many branches of the NJ Govt. Of course wherever they can get away with it.
This is just not true. The vast majority of government employees are in PERS - you cannot count overtime in calculating your final three year average.

Some law enforcement pension systems allowed that in NJ in the past - not sure if they still do. But the police pension is also the best funded.

This is just not true. The vast majority of government employees are in PERS - you cannot count overtime in calculating your final three year average.

Some law enforcement pension systems allowed that in NJ in the past - not sure if they still do. But the police pension is also the best funded.

None in NJ but the Port Authority police can because they are in a pension that basically is the NY State pension

Reactions: chrisru99
And the people who complain about the pensions complain that the ss returns are unfair for what you pay. They argue both sides on this.

Employees contribute more to the pension than they do social security. I always hear how if people could just invest their own social security themselves they would get 3 to 5 times more. Well that is what happens with the pension and those same people complain about it.

So what is it
wish i could have exempted myself like congress did.

But David Tepper and others did. And your family can all be worth millions and combined be worth less than Tepper. He didn't worry about gas prices either.

Love the multiple layers of burn there! Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT