ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers is scrimmaging Villanova on 10/17

Wow what brought up that Duke game; I still see him missing that tap in (which is sad); think only loss I was at that was worse - was that chuck up bank shot by the Iowa kid. (Not counting Greensboro regional final)
While it was tough loss, it was an exciting loss. Iowa and the Yinka game were far more painful The beginning of the RAC becoming the RAC? I never saw the Larry Bird game. Remember Duke had one of the best foul shooters in the nation and was fouled near the end of the game. He shot into the screaming, loud, crowded RU student section, which was far closer to the court, and missed. Remember Tom Young inserting Darrius in the hope he would get a rebound off a missed RU foul shot. He did. Tom Young pushed all the right buttons. We just missed the final shot. It reminded me of the PSU home loss a few years ago after the great comeback and missing point blank shots at the buzzer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyRU
In a secret scrimmage like that, other than getting the team exposure to different styles/skillsets/plays that they don't see in practice, I'd definitely want to test out foul trouble situations - trying to figure out what lineups might be able to work against an opposing team's starters. Also short clock situations off inbounds, and endgame situations while you're trying to preserve a one score lead or come back against a one score deficit.

I'm sure there are plenty of other situations to test out against a live opponent, but those are top of mind.

Reactions: RUonBrain
What were some of the situational things?
Did they do more than just play the game?

Can’t think of nearly as many situational things as in football (2 minute offense; starting at different yard lines; repeatedly running plays from any point on the field.)

In bounds plays? From different areas of the court?
Staying on one end of the court and letting one team repeatedly score on one basket while the other tried different defenses/rotations?
This goes back about 10 years so I’m fuzzy on the details. Definitely half court stuff like setting the clock on 5 or 10 seconds - that’s one I remember. A lot of group substitutions. I imagine the coaches agree on what will generally happen ahead of time. But there was no scoreboard. I had no idea What the score would have been.

This goes back about 10 years so I’m fuzzy on the details. Definitely half court stuff like setting the clock on 5 or 10 seconds - that’s one I remember. A lot of group substitutions. I imagine the coaches agree on what will generally happen ahead of time. But there was no scoreboard. I had no idea What the score would have been.

Thanks!

While it was tough loss, it was an exciting loss. Iowa and the Yinka game were far more painful The beginning of the RAC becoming the RAC? I never saw the Larry Bird game. Remember Duke had one of the best foul shooters in the nation and was fouled near the end of the game. He shot into the screaming, loud, crowded RU student section, which was far closer to the court, and missed. Remember Tom Young inserting Darrius in the hope he would get a rebound off a missed RU foul shot. He did. Tom Young pushed all the right buttons. We just missed the final shot. It reminded me of the PSU home loss a few years ago after the great comeback and missing point blank shots at the buzzer.

Good memory and detail ....

As painful as that duke loss...there is still nothing more painful than the Iowa loss three years off the glass ....

Houston loss was extremely painful.
Especially because we win the next one
Same reason why the loss to St. John's in the Sweet 16 in 1979 was so brutal. We beat the Johnnies twice during the regular season. If we beat 'em again, we then would have beaten an overmatched Penn squad and would have been in the Final Four for the second time in four years.

SJU in Greensboro. Tom as usual, and I loved him as a coach and knew him well, was stubborn and let them stay in the zone. We had them beat at the half. We could have stood there , held the ball, and made them play man. We didn’t and lost on a weak side put back. Would have smashed Penn and been in Final Four. Nobody put a body on their center.

Reactions: JavaDunk18
SJU in Greensboro. Tom as usual, and I loved him as a coach and knew him well, was stubborn and let them stay in the zone. We had them beat at the half. We could have stood there , held the ball, and made them play man. We didn’t and lost on a weak side put back. Would have smashed Penn and been in Final Four. Nobody put a body on their center.
Bailey had him bodied. Carom want true and McKoy had a path to the ball.

I was there. And my brother betamaxed the game--first ever we had taped. Watched it 100 times waiting for a different ending...

Reactions: GSGS and BillyC80
We were forcing the issue and took the air out if the back as we were extending the lead 5 or 7 minutes left. Should have kept the pedal down.

Like in Houston. Don't let up when you are advancing your cause

Reactions: JavaDunk18
Spoke to my good friend who is an excellent source for Villanova basketball info. He said it was a real good scrimmage with the teams going back and forth. He said we have great size and that we have a good team.
Thanks DIO. That's encouraging.

The ‘78 early NIT rounds at RAC featured a pair of future Legends. Coach K in the first round, & Larry Bird in the 2nd
Yes the ‘79 NCAA loss to St Johns was frustrating, as we would have returned to the Final 4..
An upset over Magic & we would have faced Larry Bird again - as the last team to beat them (they entered final undefeated)

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
The ‘78 early NIT rounds at RAC featured a pair of future Legends. Coach K in the first round, & Larry Bird in the 2nd
Yes the ‘79 NCAA loss to St Johns was frustrating, as we would have returned to the Final 4..
An upset over Magic & we would have faced Larry Bird again - as the last team to beat them (they entered final undefeated)
We should have beaten the Johnnies for the 3rd time that season, I'm fairly confident we would have beaten UPenn, but there is no way we were beating Magic and MSU that year.

Here's as much as we'll probably hear about the scrimmage. Apparently, there is no "final score", as the exercise is being described as a "series of controlled scrimmages." Jay Wright called us a "tough, outstanding defensive team", so, reading between the lines, we likely remain offensively challenged.

Or reading between the lines we are a tough, outstanding defensive team. Why do us Rutgers fans always search for the negative in these comments?

Rutgers fans don’t.

That’s what you got from that ?????

Because RU fans are conditioned to be self loathing.

And you all doubted me, LOL.

Right!? Gotta love I-told-you-so crowd. Must be a joy to be around at work and in life.
I didn’t go through this thread . But there are consequences to being right and there are consequences to being wrong. The poster that is right most of the time has much more credibility .
Like a guy @bac2therac . I don’t always agree with him on the other boards here , but he is very knowledgeable about college basketball . When he posts here , take it as being from a credible guy .

Reactions: Rutgers56
I didn’t go through this thread . But there are consequences to being right and there are consequences to being wrong. The poster that is right most of the time has much more credibility .
Like a guy @bac2therac . I don’t always agree with him on the other boards here , but he is very knowledgeable about college basketball . When he posts here , take it as being from a credible guy .
There is something incredibly small-minded and petty about having to prove you're right all the time. Re-hashing old threads with Captain Hindsight powers is pretty pathetic if you ask me.

There is something incredibly small-minded and petty about having to prove you're right all the time. Re-hashing old threads with Captain Hindsight powers is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Well, obviously you’re in the minority . Most think it’s great and pretty clever !

Reactions: GSGS
Perhaps if you would tone down your criticism of other's opinions one wouldn't feel the need to come back and say I told you so.

You want a f'ing cookie?
Hell, yes, give me my friggin cookie!!!!

Reactions: Plum Street
Perhaps if you would tone down your criticism of other's opinions one wouldn't feel the need to come back and say I told you so.

Hell, yes, give me my friggin cookie!!!!
Yeah shove it already. Is that toned down enough for you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT