ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers set to hire Kick Ciarrocca as OC

Tom Savage showed all the promise in the world before Kirk Ciarrocca ground his career into shreds.... dude convince Schiano and the clown fanbase that Chase Dodd was better than Tom Savage.
How many times do we have to this?

"I was just a young kid," Savage told NJ.com in a phone interview on Thursday. "I was just kind of bitter and angry and thought I was entitled to things that I really wasn't. I made a mistake. If you could go back, me growing up a little bit, I could see myself staying and being patient and earning the job back."

he seemed to have improved since his co:OC days with Flood at RU..
Did pretty good as the Golpher's OC in 2022
His 2020 Penn St tenure ended abruptly one might say , but his Nitts ranked second in the conference in total offense (430.3 yards per game), third in scoring (29.8 points per game), fourth in passing (256.0 yards per game) and fifth in rushing (174.3 yards per game).
2021 was spent as a WV Hillbilly Offensive Analyst

The wait to hire might have been so PJ wouldn't get blindsided and have time to start looking for a new OC because of the respect that Schiano and Fleck have for each other.
But that's just my speculation without any inside knowledge supporting it
This has to be a recruiting hire because he can recruit QB

Silly me. I didn't read anything, saw a couple pictures and thought we bought a new offensive lineman with NIL money. He's a big dude.

captain-james-t.jpg

Yes
A competent offense gives the D some rest. Which makes them better. Resulting in better starting field position and better opportunities.

I like the hire. Kirk is a good fit for a blue collar team. Which is what we are.
I'll take lunch pail guys all day.

Unless somebody suddenly throws $100mil NIL dollars our way. That's who we are
Well said

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not a bad hire, could have been worse. We all knew it was probably going to be a Schiano retread. Looking at some of his pictures on the Internet it looks like he is carrying around a belly at his age that makes him a prime candidate for a heart attack. I just hope working with Greg doesn't put too much mental and physical stress on this guy, for the sake of his family, I don't want him to end up in the hospital.

I'm of the mindset that I have kind of written off Schiano ... So this to me isn't that bad of a hire. Get the team to be average over the next two seasons ... Both in terms of talent and somewhat respectability in terms of wins (6?) / competitive games (just feeling like we were in it after the half)

And then move on

I have nothing to add to this discussion. This post is perfect. ^

Hopefully he matured and got better. The Savage situation was a disaster with the wildcat offense.

Reactions: NJMike
Positive is we’re spending some level of money despite what people think of us having none. Negative I’m not sure KC is worth it but we’ll see.

From the article:

The deal with Ciarrocca, who is currently the offensive coordinator at Minnesota, has not been completed and requires board approval, but it's expected to be finalized in the upcoming days. The commitment is expected to be significant, according to sources, as Ciarrocca was slated to average $950,000 over the next three years in Minneapolis after recently signing a new deal there.

Good Lord, that guy makes $950K? SMH.

Really? Worked great for PJ Fleck. When Kirk C was gone in 2020, Minnesota stumbled.
In 2017-19:
5-7
7-6
11-2
Kirk back in 2022:
9-4

With Kirk C, 3-0 in Bowl games.
Beat #4 Penn State and #12 Auburn in 2019, putting up 31 points in each game.
Exactly it's not like Minnesota as a program is wealthier or has a better recruiting base than we do. He's a successful offensive coordinator at a winning P5 program and we hired him away from them. Minnesota is a perfect example of a program that has done more with less.

Like I mentioned earlier – my biggest question with this is who called who first…

My only hope is that a sizable investment means they are going to throw cash at offensive assistants. Will be interesting to see who on the current staff stays and who goes.

Last edited:
A lot of uniformed, unbridled hate and nonsense being spewed here by the typical negatoids. Did you guys read the writeup by Richie?

Some career highlights as OC from Richie's writeup--all showing a track record of success in mentoring and coaching QBs:

Minnesota:
In 2019, the Gophers averaged 432 yards per game and 34.1 points per game. Ciarrocca was named one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award in 2019 and Minnesota was one of three schools in the nation to produce two 1,000-yard receivers (Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman) and a 1,000-yard rusher (Rodney Smith).

Coached Tanner Morgan, who set school single-season records in passing yards (3,253), touchdown passes (30), completion percentage (66.0%), passing yards per game (250.2), touchdown-interception ratio (4.28) and passing efficiency rating (178.7).

Western Michigan:
In 2016, Western Michigan had the nation’s 25th-ranked rushing offense, 49th-ranked passing offense and had the fewest turnovers in the country with eight.

Ciarrocca coached the quarterbacks and mentored Terrell. In 2016, Terrell passed for 33 touchdowns and threw only four interceptions. In 2014, 2015 and 2016, Terrell threw for 3443, 3522 and 3533 yards. How could you not like that?

Delaware:
Ciarrocca's Blue Hen 2007 offense ranked in the top 10 nationally in scoring, total offense, passing offense, third down conversion and red-zone scoring. He had a pair of quarterbacks drafted into the NFL during his first stint with the Blue Hens.

----
What do the negatoids do? 2010!!!! Do you guys remember what happened to the team in 2010 and E? Of course you don't, because you are blinded by misplaced rage/hate and can't see the forest through the trees.

It's an okay hire but I'm not enthused by it. It's not the style of offense that I think has the most potential. I'm guessing it must've been somewhat lucrative commitment either in guaranteed money or years or both. I'm not so sure KC is worth that.

He got fired just after 1 year at PSU and he's also coming back to work for a guy who fired him earlier in his career. For both those reasons, I'd think it must be somewhat significant in terms of compensation between years and salary.

I'll say this too, I think this hire pretty much seals the probability GS is here for 2 years more regardless of the record next year. I don't think we'd pay off both him and a somewhat high priced OC that quickly. I still think the 6 win threshold is important but this IMO pushes it out to year 5 and year 4 is pretty much off the table.
Schiano 2.0 will be sent to the tar pits after 2024 and Hobbs will hire an offense first HC after that. Schiano has proven that he's a dinosaur and will never evolve into a HC that understands modern football.

Reactions: bac2therac
Tom Savage showed all the promise in the world before Kirk Ciarrocca ground his career into shreds.... dude convince Schiano and the clown fanbase that Chase Dodd was better than Tom Savage.

Tom Savage was immature at the time, and even he admitted he had growing to do. Losing Anthony Davis early to the draft had the biggest impact, and hurt Rutgers offensive line performance. Also this was the year Eric Legrand got hurt.

So obviously Schiano trusts him enough to let him own the offense and trusts him as a teacher.

My question is who called who? Did Greg seek him out or did Kirk call Greg.
His kids went to Ridge and his daughter played soccer for RU so I can see this call going either way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT