ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Rutgers SS enters transfer portal

I 100% knew this was coming after sitting next to a family member at a couple of games. I think this is a huge loss. This guy’s potential is off the charts. The biggest problem in the lineup next year will be the lack of power. The transfer from Lafayette will add some along with the return of Santa Maria, but I really hoped to see this guy in the lineup. I am expecting him to head south.

By the way, he seemed like a very polite and gracious young man.

I 100% knew this was coming after sitting next to a family member at a couple of games. I think this is a huge loss. This guy’s potential is off the charts. The biggest problem in the lineup next year will be the lack of power. The transfer from Lafayette will add some along with the return of Santa Maria, but I really hoped to see this guy in the lineup. I am expecting him to head south.

By the way, he seemed like a very polite and gracious young man.
Problem with Martin is he's behind JKG who's an MLB caliber talent at SS and didn't want to ride the bench for at least one more season until JKG is eligible for the MLB Draft. Wonder if he would've considered a move to 2B.

Reactions: rucoe89
Problem with Martin is he's behind JKG who's an MLB caliber talent at SS and didn't want to ride the bench for at least one more season until JKG is eligible for the MLB Draft. Wonder if he would've considered a move to 2B.
I have good reason to believe that he would not have minded third base, but really did not like playing second base at all. He has a cannon for an arm and the left side seems the best for him.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I attended a game they played at Monmouth and believe he played second base that day. He did not seem to play much during late season conference games.

I do recall he was thought to be a highly regarded prospect. Such is life in college athletics.

Having coached for a long time I always found it curious when players would rather not play than move to another position?
I think he would’ve loved the opportunity to play anywhere, but really wanted to play the left side.

Unfortunate. Any others expected to or have entered transfer portal? We've been the beneficiary of it so I do expect it to adversely affect us too (e.g., Richie S. to Florida last year).

Having coached for a long time I always found it curious when players would rather not play than move to another position?

Yeah- it makes no sense. I’m sure he thought he’d win the job and JKG would be 2B. I was surprised when that didn’t happen.

It’s different reading the ball at 2B as you need a stronger backhand, so in some ways, it’s a harder adjustment than 3B.

I always saw myself as a SS and that can be hard to shake. But sometimes you get stuck behind someone and you just need to get your way onto the field and contribute with the bat until the other guy leaves an opening. It doesn’t always come, but at least in the meantime you are playing. It would never be a bad thing for a guy his size to say he can play either middle infield position.

Unfortunate. Any others expected to or have entered transfer portal? We've been the beneficiary of it so I do expect it to adversely affect us too (e.g., Richie S. to Florida last year).
Question answered:
RU Baseball Transfers

Not sure how many are regretted transfers vs. expected or not surprising.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT