ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling ---- NCAA Tournament / Updates & Results (All Sessions)

Don't be an assclown bro... There aint no shitty kids here.. Everyone is a stud, seeded or unseeded... So lets not make it sound like an embarrassment to lose 2 matches here..
I don't think I was being an assclown - if I was shitting on our student athletes then that's one thing. But I wasn't - I was simply calling it like it was at the time...We were getting dominated, and not by top guys. We didn't have one upset all day or win any swing matches, and we were upset a good amount. It was a disappointing day, no need to sugarcoat. With that said of course I'll be watching our guys tomorrow and rooting as hard as ever.

Ashnault Advances to NCAA Championships Quarterfinals
Four Scarlet Knights to compete Friday in wrestle-backs.

"Honestly, it was a tough day for us. It was a humbling day," said head coach Scott Goodale. "It was a humbling experience. We got pinned more than we've probably gotten pinned all year long. So it's humbling, but you've got to stay on the positives right now. We've got some guys coming back, coming through. It's a long haul to get to Saturday and that's what we need to do

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/031716aaa.html

Last edited:
If our remaining kids wrestle well, we should finish 15-20, if not probably around 25. I'm sure Coach G was hoping for a 10-12 finish.

Time for bed now. Catching a 9am train, meeting an RU fan to buy a ticket outside, then off to Gryo II a block away for a quick Gyro or Souvlaki, then in by 11. My favorite Gyro place anywhere.
Looking forward to tomorrow.

I don't think I was being an assclown - if I was shitting on our student athletes then that's one thing. But I wasn't - I was simply calling it like it was at the time...We were getting dominated, and not by top guys. We didn't have one upset all day or win any swing matches, and we were upset a good amount. It was a disappointing day, no need to sugarcoat. With that said of course I'll be watching our guys tomorrow and rooting as hard as ever.

I don't think you will find 1 RU fan who is happy about how today went overall.. With that being said, These are still the best 33 wrestlers in the ENTIRE country at their respective weights (of which ALL of our starters finished the season as)..We had kids wrestle over their heads just to get here!! And to imply that DIppery being pinned by an unseeded wrestler being an embarrassment is "shitting" on our student athletes.. But even with this, we still have 5 guys alive going into tomorrow..And all of them have a legitimate chance to do some real damage!!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't think you will find 1 RU fan who is happy about how today went overall.. With that being said, These are still the best 33 wrestlers in the ENTIRE country at their respective weights (of which ALL of our starters finished the season as)..We had kids wrestle over their heads just to get here!! And to imply that DIppery being pinned by an unseeded wrestler being an embarrassment is "shitting" on our student athletes.. But even with this, we still have 5 guys alive going into tomorrow..And all of them have a legitimate chance to do some real damage!!
Fair enough. Forgetting about today, looking forward to tomorrow.

Reactions: jerzey devil
I'm really baffled and disturbed why Richie Lewis chose neutral in the 3rd period against VT's Brasetta when the score was tied 5-5?! It's not like he hasn't shown he couldn't escape throughout the match... The match ended 7-6 in VT's favor but had RL chosen bottom and gotten out and the match played the same it would have been 7-7 into OT. HOWEVER, If RL chose bottom and got out and got up 6-5 in RU's favor I think the momentum changes and he wins... So confused y the neutral choice when the score is 5-5 in the 3rd and he shown he can get out.. someone explain please.... VT needed over 25 more secs of RT to get the RT point.. RL shown he can get out under that... wtf.

I fully agreed with the decision to start the 3rd period in neutral. Brascetta had close to 50 seconds of riding time and Lewis already proved he could take Brascetta down. Thought the coaches did a good job putting him in his best position to win the match. It didn't work out, but IMO it was the right move.

I fully agreed with the decision to start the 3rd period in neutral. Brascetta had close to 50 seconds of riding time and Lewis already proved he could take Brascetta down. Thought the coaches did a good job putting him in his best position to win the match. It didn't work out, but IMO it was the right move.
I just watched the replay again (mat 8 session 2 1:01:45) because this was bothering me... Brascetta had 36 seconds of riding time tied 5-5 going into 3rd period...24 seconds to get out is a lot diff then 10 secs.. although RL got ridden pretty bad the first time he got taken down he was able to get out in under 15 secs the next time. Maybe I'm being results oriented.. but I think he should have taken down position with 24 secs to get out to go up 6-5 and control the match... doubtful he gets ridden out full 2 mins with his gas tank.. the choice is closer then i originally thought though, I admit.

It"s odd how some fans expect our wrestlers to pull off upsets of higher ranked wrestlers, but they can't understand how our wrestlers can be upset by other teams lower ranked wrestlers. Don't they realize other teams are also trying to win. We had one AA each of the last two years and nothing for many years prior to that. I am still praying that we can pick up two this year which will be another step forward for our program.

Overall a tough first day. While the guys most expected to do damage are still alive there is a lot of work left to be done and no one really surprised on the positive side. I wonder how AP is feeling. Lewis will go out swinging and hopefully gravina has settled in. Ash looks ready.

Good Moooooooorning RU Wrestling fans ! New day , and new hopes for all 5 of our still alive Medal Contenders to have a strong Session 3, Friday morning ! Let'er rip !

Matchups :

141 - #4 Anthony Ashnault vs #12 C. Mecate, ODU

157- #9 Richie Lewis vs unseeded D. Cottrell, WVa

165- #7 Anthony Perrott vs unseeded S. Thomas , Oregon St.

184- #15 Nick Gravina vs unseeded T.Sleigh, Bucknell

285- #12 Billy Smith vs unseeded B. Cornwell, GW

I think Ashnault is in good position. I think Smith's path to R12 looks good and will probably meet Wessell for AA. Lewis, if he continues to win, will likely meet Joe Smith (Ok St) in the blood round tonight. Perrotti will need to beat Clark Glass (OU) who beat him earlier in the year. I also think he'll face Connor Brennan (Rider) tonight. I like Perrotti's chances of becoming an AA again. I realize that we had a bad day yesterday, but I think today can be historic day for RU. It's time to rebound! We have a chance to secure multiple AAs today. I can't wait for the blood round tonight!!

Reactions: Leonard23
5 wrestlers made it to Day 2.
How many wrestlers made it to Day 2 last year?
All 5 of the teams wrestlers should be favored in their first bout.

Realistically, we had unseeded wrestlers at 125,149,174,197.
It would have been nice if 1(2) of them made it to day 2 (I expected Bak to win his second bout)
I am holding off judgment until the tournament is over.
I really like Billy Smiths draw, hoping he stays focused and pulls a 2014 AP run.
AA making it to Semi-Finals would be a big step for the program.

Looking forward to the blood round rastlin!!!

Lewis has the hardest draw, because he'lll have to beat a top 6 guy in the blood round. Smith has a decent draw, but he may run into a couple of guys that he doesn't care to wrestle along the way (even if they aren't top 10 guys). Gravina has a GREAT draw, as does Perrotti if he's ok to go full blast.

We had quantity this year. The quality will come in the next couple of years. Yesterday was disappointing for sure, but, geez, surprised by the amount of over-reaction in this thread

Reactions: jerzey devil
I honestly think the 4 guys in wrestle backs win 2 matches this round and put themselves in the blood round tonight. From there I think the order of best shot to AA is Perrotti, Gravina, Smith and Lewis.

Of course what I think doesn't mean anything. Only thing that matters is how do they wrestle?

That's the wrestle back guys. As for Ash I like him in a close match with Mecate. Ash has a win over him at Midlands so I like that Anthony has seen him.

Reactions: jdeer1976
b3x42LX.png

Friday, March 18

11 a.m. - 3 p.m.| Third Session- Eight Mat Configuration, *Quarterfinals on middle four mats; Wrestle-Back Second and Third Rounds on outside mats.

8 - 11:30 p.m. | Fourth Session- Six Mat Configuration, *Semifinals on inside two mats (one weight at a time) and Wrestle-back Fourth Round on outside four mats.
Followed by Wrestle-Back fifth rounds on all six mats.

I honestly think the 4 guys in wrestle backs win 2 matches this round and put themselves in the blood round tonight. From there I think the order of best shot to AA is Perrotti, Gravina, Smith and Lewis.

Of course what I think doesn't mean anything. Only thing that matters is how do they wrestle?

That's the wrestle back guys. As for Ash I like him in a close match with Mecate. Ash has a win over him at Midlands so I like that Anthony has seen him.

Hope to have a big day. I am on my way to MSG now: it's been 41 years since I went to see it at Princeton Jadwin gym. My brother and I got to wrestle with Dan Gable (after he was out of college and a year before he started coaching) who was down in the practice room with the tournament participants.

Lewis has the hardest draw, because he'lll have to beat a top 6 guy in the blood round. Smith has a decent draw, but he may run into a couple of guys that he doesn't care to wrestle along the way (even if they aren't top 10 guys). Gravina has a GREAT draw, as does Perrotti if he's ok to go full blast.
Did not think Smith looked good vs Ryan but maybe had a bad match. While results don't always translate I think Lewis would have a real good shot based on what I saw out of Smith.

My friends who were at MSG say it's a good idea to rent the headsets that give you play by play from each mat. I think they said it cost $15

We had quantity this year. The quality will come in the next couple of years. Yesterday was disappointing for sure, but, geez, surprised by the amount of over-reaction in this thread
It's ok to admit it was a bad day, Goodale has said himself getting there is nice but it is all about getting your hand raised. We lost pretty much every swing match. Hopefully it turns around today.

I am a little confused about how this format works. Obviously if you lose 1 match you are out of contention for finishing 1st or 2nd but stay in contention for 3rd through 8th, correct?
Also, at what point are you guaranteed All American status - does winning in tonight's wrestle backs guarantee a top 8 finish?

I will be there tonight and am hoping for some RU wrestlers to root for. My friend that I am sitting with does not expect to get there until 8th so I will be on my own and planning on stopping in Jack Doyle's in between sessions for a cold one (or 2). If you see a lonely Rutgers fan, say hello.

I am a little confused about how this format works. Obviously if you lose 1 match you are out of contention for finishing 1st or 2nd but stay in contention for 3rd through 8th, correct?
Also, at what point are you guaranteed All American status - does winning in tonight's wrestle backs guarantee a top 8 finish?

I will be there tonight and am hoping for some RU wrestlers to root for. My friend that I am sitting with does not expect to get there until 8th so I will be on my own and planning on stopping in Jack Doyle's in between sessions for a cold one (or 2). If you see a lonely Rutgers fan, say hello.
Yes,if you loose one match before the finals,you are automatically put into wrestlebacks,for 3rd too 8th place.It is obviously a harder root if you loose first round you have to wrestle several rounds in order too even get to and AA round.

Once you get far enough in the consolations, you're guaranteed to keep advancing, or you're put into the "7/8" match. I think our conso guys have to win at least 3 more matches to get to that point. Your best bet is to go to trackwrestling and look at the "consolation" brackets for each weight we're still in.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't see Ashnault going up to 149. Maybe for some regular season matches to help the team, but for big Tournys' it will be 141. He's in perfect shape for 141.

Our starters need to stay at the weight of their peak performance. Ashnault needs to stay at 141lb b/c he'll be the strongest there, unless he grows. Lewis needs to stay at 157lb, b/c he won't be that effective at 165lb. If Theobold can make 149 and can beat Dippery (which is not a guaranteed b/c Dippery in spite of this tournament is a good wrestler), he needs to stay there. Where will Giraldo go? I have no idea - he may be that depth guy for a year, b/c he cannot stay at 133lb. I'm sure with the way he wrestled in recent weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Delvecceo beat him badly.

Our starters need to stay at the weight of their peak performance. Ashnault needs to stay at 141lb b/c he'll be the strongest there, unless he grows. Lewis needs to stay at 157lb, b/c he won't be that effective at 165lb. If Theobold can make 149 and can beat Dippery (which is not a guaranteed b/c Dippery in spite of this tournament is a good wrestler), he needs to stay there. Where will Giraldo go? I have no idea - he may be that depth guy for a year, b/c he cannot stay at 133lb. I'm sure with the way he wrestled in recent weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Delvecceo beat him badly.
Agreed, except on Theo vs. Dippery. I think Theo will take him easily.

No one thought Zain Retheford would go 149 either after wrestling 141. He has a smaller frame then Ashnault and is doing arguably better at 49 then he was 41.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT