ADVERTISEMENT

Sanu to RU North?

I thought so too but they were not mentioned on Sportscenter when they were discussing Sanu a few minutes ago.

Heard it over the last few weeks. And with Marvin Jones, another possible WR of interest for the Giants, reportedly ready to sign with Detroit, I think that would add to the possibility.

love to see Mo on the Jets..not the Pats:angry:

I don't think it is likely, but he's been mentioned by some Eagles beat writers as a possibility there as well.

He's a pro athlete. If Lucifer himself owned an NFL team and was the highest bidder Sanu would be playing there.

Not too sure you got the "Free" agent concept down correctly!
he get to chose and most blow off a few million here or there to go with the best team that has a chances of making to the super bowl << it not money it is chance at a super bowl shot.

he get to chose and most blow off a few million here or there to go with the best team that has a chances of making to the super bowl << it not money it is chance at a super bowl shot.
Not sure I'd agree with that. Mo is a nice and versatile player, and he will make great money in his NFL career, but he isn't making so much money that he can sacrifice a few million to go to a winner. Considering the very short life span of most of these guys...if they end their career with $4 or $5 million in the bank (consider agent costs, NFL lifestyle costs, etc.), they can live a comfortable lifestyle and never have to work again, but they can't live like millionaires for the rest of their lives. If you consider the age that these guys retire, leaving the NFL with $5 million probably allows you to pull 3-4% out each year (mostly interest...minimal principle)...so call it $150-$200k equivalent lifestyle. Nice, but not driving Bentley's. You end up with $15 million when you retire, you can be that much more comfortable.

If I were Mo's agent, I'd tell him to look for the biggest deal possible.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Mo is a nice and versatile player, and he will make great money in his NFL career, but he isn't making so much money that he can sacrifice a few million to go to a winner. Considering the very short life span of most of these guys...if they end their career with $4 or $5 million in the bank (consider agent costs, NFL lifestyle costs, etc.), they can live a comfortable lifestyle and never have to work again, but they can't live like millionaires for the rest of their lives. If you consider the age that these guys retire, leaving the NFL with $5 million probably allows you to pull 3-4% out each year (mostly interest...minimal principle)...so call it $150-$200k equivalent lifestyle. Nice, but not driving Bentley's. You end up with $15 million when you retire, you can be that much more comfortable.

If I were Mo's agent, I'd tell him to look for the biggest deal possible.

You are forgetting their pension.

You are forgetting their pension.
How does that work? What is he looking at?

My bigger point is that he won't leave the game so rich that he can sacrifice millions for a better situation. A guy like Peyton Manning, if he wanted to sacrifice money to be on the team of his choice, has made so much money that he can do so. 95% of NFL players don't have that luxury.

My bigger point is that he won't leave the game so rich that he can sacrifice millions for a better situation. A guy like Peyton Manning, if he wanted to sacrifice money to be on the team of his choice, has made so much money that he can do so. 95% of NFL players don't have that luxury.
Agree. This contract is his first big money contract. You go to the team offering the most with the biggest signing bonus.

I believe there are 3 plans:

A defined benefit plan you need 3 seasons to qualify for and pays you $760./months X years of service. starting at age 55. With 4 years of service Sanu is vested for $3040 per month, which will go up each additional year he plays. After 3 games in 2016 he's vested for $3800. per month

A 401(k) where the NFL matches 2 for 1 (don't I wish) up to $28k per year.

And an annuity the NFL contributes to after 4 years in the league that will likely be larger than the pension.

Reactions: jmc11201
I believe there are 3 plans:

A defined benefit plan you need 3 seasons to qualify for and pays you $760./months X years of service. starting at age 55. With 4 years of service Sanu is vested for $3040 per month, which will go up each additional year he plays. After 3 games in 2016 he's vested for $3800. per month

A 401(k) where the NFL matches 2 for 1 (don't I wish) up to $28k per year.

And an annuity the NFL contributes to after 4 years in the league that will likely be larger than the pension.
Thanks for the info.

So the defined benefit plan kicks in after 55...assuming he is out of the league at 32, he still has a lot of years to self fund...and if he has 10 years in the league, he sees $7,600/month or $91.2k per year.

401k can't be touched until he is in his late 50s (unless he pays penalties)...but assume he has a few hundred thousand in there.

As for the annuity...I'm guessing the longer he sticks around, the more it is worth. If it starts to pay immediately at retirement, the amount would be lower than if it were deferred until his 50s.

Regardless of all those benefits...to really be able to afford a comfortable middle class lifestyle, he still probably needs to retire from the NFL with $5 million or more...and even if he retires with $5 million, you still have to watch your money a bit, can't drive a new luxury car each year, and have three houses. You can certainly comfortable, and if he maintains a reasonable lifestyle, he will be fine...but he should still look to maximize this contract.

Thanks for the info.

So the defined benefit plan kicks in after 55...assuming he is out of the league at 32, he still has a lot of years to self fund...and if he has 10 years in the league, he sees $7,600/month or $91.2k per year.

401k can't be touched until he is in his late 50s (unless he pays penalties)...but assume he has a few hundred thousand in there.

As for the annuity...I'm guessing the longer he sticks around, the more it is worth. If it starts to pay immediately at retirement, the amount would be lower than if it were deferred until his 50s.

Regardless of all those benefits...to really be able to afford a comfortable middle class lifestyle, he still probably needs to retire from the NFL with $5 million or more...and even if he retires with $5 million, you still have to watch your money a bit, can't drive a new luxury car each year, and have three houses. You can certainly comfortable, and if he maintains a reasonable lifestyle, he will be fine...but he should still look to maximize this contract.

Our definitions of "comfortable middle class lifestyle" differ. BTW, I believe there's a loophole where if he retires and chooses to take the 401(k) as annuity (equal annual amounts not pick and choose each year) it can start earlier.

Our definitions of "comfortable middle class lifestyle" differ. BTW, I believe there's a loophole where if he retires and chooses to take the 401(k) as annuity (equal annual amounts not pick and choose each year) it can start earlier.
Thanks to me having too much time on my hands...and an excel spreadsheet open...I look at it like this.

If he retires at 30 with $5 million, can grow that at 3% annually, and plans to have $500k remaining at age 80, he can withdraw just under $190k per year. Very good 'real people' money...but not generational wealth kind of money. To me that is 'comfortable middle class'. I get it that plenty live off of much less, but with $189k per year (less some taxes), you still have to be mindful of money, which is my main point. The pension/401k stuff should help build some extra cushion...but considering the short careers these guys have, they can't live like they make millions each year and have to size their lifestyle appropriately.

1. You can get 3% through muni's, so forget the taxes

2. There's a rumor floating right now that Atlanta is offering a contract that would amount to $7 mil per year, so this all may be academic.

1. You can get 3% through muni's, so forget the taxes

2. There's a rumor floating right now that Atlanta is offering a contract that would amount to $7 mil per year, so this all may be academic.
3% real returns after inflation.

Nevertheless...if Atlanta offers $7mm per year, he should take it.

What happened to this guy? His numbers from last year are terrible.
images

Not true at all. Recent history has shown time and again that the highest bidder wins most of the time. Guys have left Super Bowl contenders and winners repeatedly to go play for also-rans. Case in point.......Malik Jackson leaves the Broncos today for the Jaguars. Bruce Irvin leaves a Seattle team poised for another contending season to sign with Oakland. One of Denver's starting linebackers signed with the Bears. The guys you are referring to might be the older vets closer to the end of their careers.

First non-rookie contract - you go for the big dollars. Second contract after that (if you're still around) you can be more selective. Being a "Free agent" he can do what he wants - economics and career longevity probably means eh goes for the $$$$$$. That's just the way it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT