@ Shorty
- Clark 3-0 in quarters
- White 2-0 in quarters
- Campbell 1-2
- Weaver 3-1 in consi 8 #1
- O'Donnell 1-0 in quarters
- Estevez 1-1 in consi 8 #1

😬 Depth is thin
I think our depth is fine and better than it's ever been. 90% of the above aren't being counted on to develop into starters as there is no way any significant amount of $ is being allocated there. The majority are guys who ideally would continue to develop and train hard in order to help push the rest of the team in the room.

Now, the guys listed below are the key players we will absolutely need to see continue to develop and over the next 1 - 2 years, because they are either receiving significant scholarship money or will be counted on to either be long term starters\fill-in starters at some point in their career given the current roster.

Key Long Term Depth Chart
125: Peterson\Raimo
133: Raimo\Oliveri
141: Oliveri\Aragona
149: White\Aragona
157: White\Clark
165: Clark
174: O'Neill
184: Soldano\Janzer
197: Soldano\Casale\Janzer
285: Casale\Hamilton

There really isn't any cause for concern there but obviously we see the glaring hole right in the middle of the lineup. We need to be hitting the portal and recruiting trail hard for guys currently in the 157/165/174 range especially if we don't see Clark and O'Neill begin to progress like we need them to.

Last edited:
I think our depth is fine and better than it's ever been. 90% of the above aren't being counted on to develop into starters as there is no way any significant amount of $ is being allocated there. The majority are guys who ideally would continue to develop and train hard in order to help push the rest of the team in the room.

Now, the guys listed below are the key players we will absolutely need to see develop and improve over the next 1 - 2 years, because they are either receiving significant scholarship money or will be counted on to either be long term starters\fill-in starters at some point in their career given the current roster.

There really isn't any cause for concern there but obviously we see the glaring hole right in the middle of the lineup. We need to be hitting the portal and recruiting trail hard for guys currently in the 157/165/174 range especially if we don't see Clark and O'Neill begin to progress like we need them to.
Think you are missing a few key pieces for long term depth, Kanniard and Poz are only Freshman and Chletsos is a pretty big recruit. Shawver is also only a Freshman still. And Turley is only a Soph. All those guys I would bet are getting decent $.

Think you are missing a few key pieces for long term depth, Kanniard and Poz are only Freshman and Chletsos is a pretty big recruit. Shawver is also only a Freshman still. And Turley is only a Soph. All those guys I would bet are getting decent $.
I left out current starters purposely (aside from Clark) but you are right we have a ton of youth infused in the lineup. I was focusing on true depth to develop potential starters and plug in guys over the long term.

I’m torn on Chletsos. He’s been very up and down especially against top guys and with Crookham transferring out, he lost a huge, top training partner. He needs to have a big year and he has a tough schedule to prove it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
The money matters but only so much. As soon as you step foot in the door it doesn’t matter what you did in HS/pre RU credentials. In a good program there is competition all around and you need guys to develop.

Reactions: mikemessner

Now, the guys listed below are the key players we will absolutely need to see develop and improve over the next 1 - 2 years, because they are either receiving significant scholarship money or will be counted on to either be long term starters\fill-in starters at some point in their career given the current roster.

Clark and O'Neill will be fine.

Mike: I have not heard anything of the extent or nature of Raimo's injuries. Do you think he will be back next year or might we not see him again?

Goodale mentioned in his podcast that Turley may never be 100% again. That's how I remember the comment. What might be a realistic expectation for his future?

Peterson lost last year due to his nose. Any idea how long the hamstring will have him out of action? I've had a hamstring pull and had it reoccur, so I do know how debilitating it can be.

Good points and mostly agree. Janzer wasn't recruited as a backup but I always had concerns with his O and mentioned that a bunch on here. O'Neill is an extremely hard worker, but I'm worried he may not contribute much as he was inconsistent in HS and we're seeing that here too. I'm curious how much $ Weaver and Benner are getting as they were recruited to contribute but that doesn't look likely.

Was Benner actually recruited to contribute? I never got that vibe. I thought he’d always be a depth guy here. Oneill still has plenty of time to figure things out.

I agree and I didn't say they wouldn't. My entire point was that the depth of the program in total, especially the current backups, redshirting freshmen, and incoming recruits has never been better.

I also think Clark would be better/more comfortable at 157, but I know he is a team first guy, so he is filling in where he is needed even if it's not ideal for him at the moment.

Good points and mostly agree. Janzer wasn't recruited as a backup but I always had concerns with his O and mentioned that a bunch on here. O'Neill is an extremely hard worker, but I'm worried he may not contribute much as he was inconsistent in HS and we're seeing that here too. I'm curious how much $ Weaver and Benner are getting as they were recruited to contribute but that doesn't look likely.
ONeil was a 2x finalist and champion, as was Benner. Weaver isn’t coming in with the same credentials.

If Turley is not 100% of won’t be himself I hope Janzer can get to 174 and help us. He’s probably our best shot outside of Turley. That’s his goal to get to 174 right?

Yes, Benner was recruited to contribute. Every wrestler trains to contribute. This is a tough crowd.
Mike,
I think everyone knows everyone trains to contribute and wants to contribute and many are doing it just by being in that room and being training partners. But reality is many do not come in with same credentials and expectations as others ans people just expect more. I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know. I realize for a variety of reasons they don’t pan out. My son is a D1 Athlete so I get it.

If Turley is not 100% of won’t be himself I hope Janzer can get to 174 and help us. He’s probably our best shot outside of Turley. That’s his goal to get to 174 right?
I would hope so too. If Turley is not 100% I’d want to rest him and Janzer not a bad option.

Just stay home. Since you think you know more than the coaches.
Hey Mike, Don’t waste your breath on this idiot ..it’s the coaches now he rips ..once in full swing he will find one or two kids to rip ..that’s what he does ..all with the premise that he knows wrestling more then anyone here ...his life is boring so this is what he does to fulfill it lol

I don’t think Billy can get to 174 without issues ...love his moxie but that’s a lot to ask ..he gets pretty big in summer ..184 is his best weight but Poz is the man there so who knows where he fits in

Hey Mike, Don’t waste your breath on this idiot ..it’s the coaches now he rips ..once in full swing he will find one or two kids to rip ..that’s what he does ..all with the premise that he knows wrestling more then anyone here ...his life is boring so this is what he does to fulfill it lol
Boring? I own my own Farm and Construction company. I do more in the morning than you do in an entire day. By the way, calling people names? How old are you 12 tough guy?

I tried @jerzey devil but I’m not going to stand by and be called an idiot. Especially from someone who never learned punctuation. Christ man you learn that in the 3rd grade.

Last edited:
Harley
You said I can’t make 174. Sure I can but I would be giving up 40 pounds to my opponent. Do you think that is a good idea?

Harley
You said I can’t make 174. Sure I can but I would be giving up 40 pounds to my opponent. Do you think that is a good idea?
Bill , actually I think you should ...I would love to see you in a RU singlet....get ready for some goofballs here to rip you tho if you don’t meet their expectation...other then slopping crap around on their farm they don’t have much else to do.

Boring? I own my own Farm and Construction company. I do more in the morning than you do in an entire day. By the way, calling people names? How old are you 12 tough guy?

I tried @jerzey devil but I’m not going to stand by and be called an idiot. Especially from someone who never learned punctuation. Christ man you learn that in the 3rd grade.
So now your so bored you’re gonna be the punctuation nazi ...some life you must have .

If you’re such a tough guy why not say the crap you say about coaches and some kids to their face instead of using your keyboard muscles here...yea it’s a forum but your nonstop criticizing gets old ....it’s easy to be a Monday night quarterback when they are the professionals and you’re just bored on your farm....what the hell do you know about recruiting and heart and soul these kids and coaches give to the program ..wrestling in the Big10 is the ultimate accomplishment of this sport short of the Olympics so who the hell cares what some farmer from Butt**** ,USA thinks of their efforts ..enough said !

If you’re such a tough guy why not say the crap you say about coaches and some kids to their face instead of using your keyboard muscles here...yea it’s a forum but your nonstop criticizing gets old ....it’s easy to be a Monday night quarterback when they are the professionals and you’re just bored on your farm....what the hell do you know about recruiting and heart and soul these kids and coaches give to the program ..wrestling in the Big10 is the ultimate accomplishment of this sport short of the Olympics so who the hell cares what some farmer from Butt**** ,USA thinks of their efforts ..enough said !
Apparently, you care. You're the one claiming to be a tough guy by calling people names and trying to shout them down in a threatening manner. If people don't think like you, you vilely attack them. It's time for you to do a little introspection when it comes to keyboard muscles. Again, it's just a forum, you're not the great protector of Rutgers wrestling you think you are, nothing we say here influences the team in anyway. Your nonstop criticism line is just an over exaggeration on your part, throughout the years I have heaped plenty of praise on wrestlers and coaches a like.

Oh and the Butt****, USA comment, I live in New Jersey. I just make more than enough to own a lot of land here, raising horses and cattle as a hobby in Monmouth County. Perhaps you missed the part where I own a Construction company as well. I do care about Rutgers wrestling which is why I spend some of my good fortune on the SKWC. So boring no, but please do continue on with your rant, I look forward to the next episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentx35
Kole
Keep up your support of SKWC and you can say whatever you want my friend.
My wife and I will always give to the SKWC. She gets our Church causes, I get Rutgers wrestling. Long ago we got 4 season tickets the year they moved matches to the RAC. At 1st it was just me and her, we'd bring friends with the extras, they saw how fun it was, now we're up to a group of 10. We still buy 2 extras for potential newcomers.

I don’t have any issues with what Kole said. He can be harsh sometimes but I don’t think he’s crossed any lines. I think Harley gets overly sensitive and de rails threads when he gets triggered. That kind of stuff is unnecessary and it’s things like that that make the football and basketball boards impossible to participate on.

Kole
Go easy as these kids read these columns and they are doing their best. It may not be good enough for some of us but they are working their butts off in practice every day trying to get better. Get mad at the coaches but not the kids. Thank you.
I guess I’m not the only one who thinks his comments toe the line between constructive criticism and flat out ignorance

Oh please. The Monday morning quarterbacking and constant questioning of every coach by our fans that think they always know better than actual college coaches is comical. Poor rostering? Sheesh...........these were not my words so it seems like others get sick of his antics all the time as well ......I guess being a supposed big shot gives you that right ....

Reactions: mikemessner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT