ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano vs Ash recruiting

Goku

All American
Jul 25, 2001
I'm sorry for sounding a bit ignorant in my question here, but I found out pretty soon that what Ash was doing with this program didn't deserve a second of my attention as he was a total waste of my time. This is coming from a guy who had way too much time on his hands in his early 20s and in his complete devotion to Schiano's vision and promises, would drive down to campus for the day to watch spring practice sessions before they were closed off.

So here's my question. How is Schiano's recruiting going so far? Is he doing a better job than Ash was doing and how? How well is Schiano doing compared to Schiano 1.0 before he left?

In my opinion Schiano 2.0 is much better than 1.0 and I believe you will see the snowball effect. He has recruited some good kids so far, I believe if he can show some success on the field there will be many more to follow. As they say "Build it and they will come". As far as Ash goes I thought he was a terrible recruiter and does not even belong in the conversation. At this point in his career I think he is better suited to be on a head coaches staff rather than the head coach. I would think that some time in the future he will get another shot.

Last edited:
There is no comparison between Ash and Schiano. Ash’s class rankings were steadily in decline and right now Schiano’s 2021 class is ranked #12 in the nation!
The more relevant question is Schiano 1.0 v. Schiano 2.0. My opinion is Schiano 2.0 is much much better. His apprenticeship under Urban was very good for him and it is crystal clear he walked away from that gig with a lot of knowledge. Greg has finally figured out the key to getting NJ talent. He has some of the head coaches from some of top programs in the state on his staff and those guys 1) know NJ 2) and more importantly know all the coaches in NJ. When they hear of an outstanding player at a not a football power school they probably know the coach so Rutgers will be able to find talent that falls under the radar of programs that do not know nj.
Greg Schiano 2.0 is much better than the 1.0 version. I have not been this excited for RU football in a long time!

No contest.
As for Ash "getting another shot" as a HC, maybe at a Div. 2 school or lower, but there is no way I can see a Div. 1 school considering him. His resume was all about being a D coach.
But, he was with a traditional powerhouse with four star players on the bench! He showed no real quality coaching or recruiting.

Rutgers is #13 for 2021 recruiting class...Early but still!

Ash did nothing, did he even visit NJ high schools? Too much of a type B personality and not outgoing in my opinion. Schiano 1.0 = leader ; Schiano 2.0 = experienced leader

Schiano is doing a good job but that ranking means bupkis. If we keep landing all three stars our ceiling is the 40s. Respectable but nothing more.

Rutgers is #13 for 2021 recruiting class...Early but still!

Ash did nothing, did he even visit NJ high schools? Too much of a type B personality and not outgoing in my opinion. Schiano 1.0 = leader ; Schiano 2.0 = experienced leader
I’m not sure if it was a type B personality—I think it more of an arrogance and inability to understand the world around him. The irony is he had absolutely no basis for being arrogant about anything.

Ash getting another Power 5 HC job would just be another fulfillment of the Peter Principal. Hit personal fit is a long tenure as a P5 Defensive Coordinator.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Schiano 2.0 has a gravitas that 1.0 didn’t have until proven he could win. Considering how bad we had been under Ash, for Greg to get some players very late for 2020, and now be building a very nice 2021 class is amazing.

The rebuild may be quicker than some may have thought and that’s due directly to recruiting. I also think Greg has built a better overall staff now than he had back then. It should be interesting to see how they develop players and coach on gameday. Thrilled Greg is back.

Last edited:
L-18777-1449097234-8374.jpeg.jpg

My big worry with Schiano was, is he savvy enough to use the transfer portal to our advantage or will he be old fashioned. Well this 5* QB from Baylor we got who will light up the field this year has me jumping for joy

BTW I think Schianos time away from Rutgers was very good for Greg. He learned a lot at Ohio State how an Elite program is run and that is going to pay big dividends for Rutgers. As long as the university treats him right, Greg is going to make Rutgers an Elite program. We are on our way!

My big worry with Schiano was, is he savvy enough to use the transfer portal to our advantage or will he be old fashioned. Well this 5* QB from Baylor we got who will light up the field this year has me jumping for joy

He was prepped for his interviews with info about transfers to pursue in the portal. The program is in good hands and we will be competitive in a few years.

There is no comparison between Ash and Schiano. Ash’s class rankings were steadily in decline and right now Schiano’s 2021 class is ranked #12 in the nation!
The more relevant question is Schiano 1.0 v. Schiano 2.0. My opinion is Schiano 2.0 is much much better. His apprenticeship under Urban was very good for him and it is crystal clear he walked away from that gig with a lot of knowledge. Greg has finally figured out the key to getting NJ talent. He has some of the head coaches from some of top programs in the state on his staff and those guys 1) know NJ 2) and more importantly know all the coaches in NJ. When they hear of an outstanding player at a not a football power school they probably know the coach so Rutgers will be able to find talent that falls under the radar of programs that do not know nj.
Greg Schiano 2.0 is much better than the 1.0 version. I have not been this excited for RU football in a long time!
Good post and agree 100%. Why no exclamation points in your football posts? Lol

Impossible to not inject how we emotionally feel about the men that those coaches are. But take only the first signed classes and compare those. Ash came in late, brought Oden and Bailey IIRC, held together a large chunk of Flood’s worst recruiting class, threw up his hands and complained that nothing was good enough. Schiano started before the ink was dry on his contract. Improved the standing, quantity and quality of Ash’s last class. Advantage GS.

I am sure the Ohio state time didn’t hurt . But saying that schiano apprenticed at Ohio state is ridiculous. Schiano coached at Miami before rutgers. Miami won the NC the next year when schiano came to rutgers . He was also at penn state (with paterno and Sandusky), a national powerhouse.
So i am sure he learned some stuff at Ohio state . But it’s not like he didn’t dance this dance before. .

Somebody probably can find the article, but the Head Coach at Bridgewater, a very large high school maybe ten miles from Piscataway said he NEVER heard from Ash or his staff the whole time he was in New Jersey.

Schiano 2.0 is also going to turn around Rutgers a lot faster than people think. He built Rutgers 1.0 in about 5 years. He is going to have Rutgers 2.0 competitive in 2 years and bowl elgible in 3 years. Greg is on a mission and knows what needs to be done. He is more willing to give some control to his coordinators and assistant coaches.
I believe it was destiny that brought Greg back to Rutgers. After the Tennessee fiasco there were not many programs that were going to give Greg a shot. Rutgers because of our experience with him before and the failing Ash Fiasco we had to endure, even the malcontents who would have turned up their noses at Schiano were clamoring to bring him back. Schiano is the Right guy for Rutgers and Rutgers is the right job for Schiano. It was destiny and we have some exciting Rutgers football ahead of us in the next few years. We are setting up for a nice run and I cannot wait for it!

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
It seems like he’s getting a lot of 3 stars . It seems like a good start to get us on a path to respectable
Yes 3 *** kids today but these players are at a higher level with the potential to become a possible 4****.by signing day...It is a great start and I believe it will get much better...If Rutgers can close on the the St.Peters Prep QB and Austime the RB ...and some quality interior guys...the end rankings will reflect why Greg Schiano was the right choice.

Reactions: Scarlet83
BTW I think Schianos time away from Rutgers was very good for Greg. He learned a lot at Ohio State how an Elite program is run and that is going to pay big dividends for Rutgers. As long as the university treats him right, Greg is going to make Rutgers an Elite program. We are on our way!

Is Powell definitely going to be playing QB this year?

Yes 3 *** kids today but these players are at a higher level with the potential to become a possible 4****.by signing day...It is a great start and I believe it will get much better...If Rutgers can close on the the St.Peters Prep QB and Austime the RB ...and some quality interior guys...the end rankings will reflect why Greg Schiano was the right choice.

I thought he was the right choice . Pretty much the only choice. He left this program in very good shape in 2011. It’s just that’s we made 2 awful hires

Reactions: ILikePike
Hypothetical—What would have happened if Chris Ash had started working at Rutgers right away instead of staying at Ohio State those extra weeks? Would he have been able to put out the fire Flood started or would everything have turned out the same way, just not as fast?

I don’t want to sound harsh if you are serious, but are you serious?
yes. I didn't pay attention for a few years. So an objective and informative comparison would be helpful. I don't know what Ash did well or not with recruiting. I know he got some good grad transfers (Gus Edwards) and some highly ranked recruits (Melton and Sitkowski) but what else was he doing? What did he screw up with the recruiting pipelines and connections that were built for him by Schiano 1.0 (unless flood already ruined them..I don't know...I started checking out with him)

Is Powell definitely going to be playing QB this year?
I don't know any of who is going to be playing at any position, do you? As far as Rutgers Offense which was anemic and I am being generous, We have a legitimate Rock star in an offensive coordinator. Sean Gleeson is one of the most creative offensive coaches in the game today. He is known for having two quarterbacks on the field at the same time, Having multiple wide recievers and running backs on the field, finding weaknesses in defenses. In a few years time we are going to be in for some fun football. Its going to be great!

yes. I didn't pay attention for a few years. So an objective and informative comparison would be helpful. I don't know what Ash did well or not with recruiting. I know he got some good grad transfers (Gus Edwards) and some highly ranked recruits (Melton and Sitkowski) but what else was he doing? What did he screw up with the recruiting pipelines and connections that were built for him by Schiano 1.0 (unless flood already ruined them..I don't know...I started checking out with him)

Fair enough...

As for Ash- his first class was ok...but he quickly established that if you were not HIS guy, you were OUT. Even if you had talent. Then, while Flood did wreck many pipelines because of the "Thug" atmosphere, that was easily rectified but Ash was determined to do things HIS way and not a NJ way or a Rutgers way that GS started to build. Hell, the guy didn't even seem to want to recognize the birthplace.
And while many said Flood was lazy, Flood and his staff actually did a good job of getting top kids onsite and interested. Ash could not even do that. He gave everyone the feeling he looked down on them and almost seemed to go out of his way to piss off anything and anyone local.
He has NO FEEL. I am sure he is a very smart football man, I am sure he loved his job, I am sure he will stay in the game a long time, but the guy just did not have what it takes for an area like this.

I am sure the Ohio state time didn’t hurt . But saying that schiano apprenticed at Ohio state is ridiculous. Schiano coached at Miami before rutgers. Miami won the NC the next year when schiano came to rutgers . He was also at penn state (with paterno and Sandusky), a national powerhouse.
So i am sure he learned some stuff at Ohio state . But it’s not like he didn’t dance this dance before. .
He was been quoted as saying that before his time at Ohio State he thought he was a good recruiter. However, Urban taught him what a good recruiter really is.

Fair enough...

As for Ash- his first class was ok...but he quickly established that if you were not HIS guy, you were OUT. Even if you had talent. Then, while Flood did wreck many pipelines because of the "Thug" atmosphere, that was easily rectified but Ash was determined to do things HIS way and not a NJ way or a Rutgers way that GS started to build. Hell, the guy didn't even seem to want to recognize the birthplace.
And while many said Flood was lazy, Flood and his staff actually did a good job of getting top kids onsite and interested. Ash could not even do that. He gave everyone the feeling he looked down on them and almost seemed to go out of his way to piss off anything and anyone local.
He has NO FEEL. I am sure he is a very smart football man, I am sure he loved his job, I am sure he will stay in the game a long time, but the guy just did not have what it takes for an area like this.
And that happens. It is what it is.

Forward and upward.

Reactions: beaced
He was been quoted as saying that before his time at Ohio State he thought he was a good recruiter. However, Urban taught him what a good recruiter really is.

I always felt that as good as Greg was on having 1:1 conversations, he was lacking just a little something in recruiting. I am actually a little more impressed so far with him.

One of the things I liked with Greg was that when you spoke with him, he spoke with you and listened. He could compartmentalize your conversation away from the million other things in his head.
What I have heard about UM was that he could walk into an auditorium, shake hands, stop and talk with people, walk out in just 15 minutes and somehow- 100 of those people would swear to having a 10 minute 1:1 conversation with him...

Hypothetical—What would have happened if Chris Ash had started working at Rutgers right away instead of staying at Ohio State those extra weeks? Would he have been able to put out the fire Flood started or would everything have turned out the same way, just not as fast?
Nothing else would’ve been different other than he’d have a few extra weeks to look down his nose at the opportunity he was given.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT