ADVERTISEMENT

Season Prediction

I'll save this post and see who's right the night of the game.
You are not going to be one of those posters that dredges up old posts.
It's really hard to predict a lot at this stage of the season. Really need to see a few games first before we declare anything. Pre-season threads are fun. Hope springs eternal in the late summer, early fall, and I stick by my prediction.

4-8 with improvement as the season moves along and hope for the future. The 4 wins includes Penn State.
Nuts I sure hope your prediction doesn't come true except the psu part. Because 2017 is simply going to be a talent depleted roster thanks to numbnuts. I think this year's experienced team is going to yield a 6-6 record(I pray). Because two 4-8 records in a row isn't going to help recruiting and the grumblings from media and fans is going to start to grow.

Last edited:
Howard, New Mexico, Illinois and Indiana are the "must wins". We cannot slip up in those 4 for any hope of a bowl.

Then steal at least two of Ped, Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota, UW. Possible but not probable.

MSU, Michigan, tOSU are unfortunately foregone conclusions.

I'm going to say 6-6.

Wow. You give optimism a new meaning.
I'm not following you. I think RU will be better but will still going to struggle against the top tier teams. The QB position is a huge hole that I don't think will be fixed this year and our lack of proven play makers on offense and defense glaring.

Howard, New Mexico, Illinois and Indiana are the "must wins". We cannot slip up in those 4 for any hope of a bowl.

Then steal at least two of Ped, Maryland, Iowa, Minnesota, UW. Possible but not probable.

MSU, Michigan, tOSU are unfortunately foregone conclusions.

I'm going to say 6-6.
Yet we took MSU to the wire last year with that other guy as the head coach. It's college football. Stuff can happen.

For those predicting 4 wins or less (lets say Howard, New Mexico, Illinois, Indiana), do you not think we have a fighting chance against Maryland or Minnesota?

That's not the question, right? The question is "season predictions." Now of course I THINK we'll be competitive in those games but so they as will Penn State, Indiana, and Illinois - games some of us think can be part of those 4 wins - when we play them. I just don't see us winning more than a couple of, I guess, 6 "toss-up" games this year (New Mexico, Illinois, Indiana, Penn State, Maryland). Just a hell of a lot of ???'s at this point that aren't going to change overnight.

Yet we took MSU to the wire last year with that other guy as the head coach. It's college football. Stuff can happen.

At home. Only Michigan is at home of those 3. Michigan, from what I have seen under Harbaugh, does not play to its opponent level, getting thrashed by tOSU but easily disposing of most B1G opponents. MSU played almost everyone close.

Yes, the game was close, but com'on...They marched up-and-down the field on us to the tune of 490 total yards and left about 20 points out there that night. If we played them later in the year, or if they maybe didn't take us lightly that night (as it appeared), that game wasn't close. Yes, shit happens, and "shit happened" that night BUT will still lost.

Just an awful example IMHO.

You are not going to be one of those posters that dredges up old posts.
It's really hard to predict a lot at this stage of the season. Really need to see a few games first before we declare anything. Pre-season threads are fun. Hope springs eternal in the late summer, early fall, and I stick by my prediction.

I just may, who knows.

But, on paper Indiana is a better football team than RU right now.
They were last season too and we won, so I hope it happens again of course.

That's not the question, right? The question is "season predictions." Now of course I THINK we'll be competitive in those games but so they as will Penn State, Indiana, and Illinois - games some of us think can be part of those 4 wins - when we play them. I just don't see us winning more than a couple of, I guess, 6 "toss-up" games this year (New Mexico, Illinois, Indiana, Penn State, Maryland). Just a hell of a lot of ???'s at this point that aren't going to change overnight.
Fair enough. Just maybe once luck will bounce our way more often than not. Our luck ran out against Maryland last year. :grimace:

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I just may, who knows.

But, on paper Indiana is a better football team than RU right now.
They were last season too and we won, so I hope it happens again of course.
I just don't see how on paper you say they're better than RU. On offense they return 6, they lose QB Sudfeld who accounted for 60% of their O. 3/5ths of their Oline and their stud transfer RB. On defense they return 5. Losing the strength of a crappy D in their entire Dline.(believe it or not they were 9 spots worse than RU)
Unless you know who their backups were last year and somehow figure they are vastly superior to last year's starters. Then I don't see how you can state on paper Indiana is a better football team than RU right now. Actually on paper I would say quite the opposite. Finally, you want to know how they went bowling last year, easy. Schedule S.Illinios, FIU, W. Kentucky, Wake Forest OOC and draw Purdue cross divisional.

Last edited:
I just don't see how on paper you say they're better than RU. On offense they return 6, they lose QB Sudfeld who accounted for 60% of their O. 3/5ths of their Oline and their stud transfer RB. On defense they return 5. Losing the strength of a crappy D in their entire Dline.(believe it or not they were 9 spots worse than RU)
Unless you know who their backups were last year and somehow figure they are vastly superior to last year's starters. Then I don't see how you can state on paper Indiana is a better football team than RU right now. Actually on paper I would say quite the opposite. Finally, you want to know how they went bowling last year, easy. Schedule S.Illinios, FIU, W. Kentucky, Wake Forest OOC and draw Purdue cross divisional.
Agree 100%. Also Kevin Wilson was out coached by Kyle Flood twice which is something you really have to work hard at to achieve.

Reactions: MikeR0102
The season is already a success regardless of our record. Not having to hear "Our goal is to go 1-0 this week" makes it a winning season.

Obviously, the proof of how far the program has come since Ash was hired will be on the field when the games start, but the trend in the positive direction is remarkable:

1. His recruiting has been a huge leap forward in every way measurable.

2. The changes to the facilities are making Rutgers almost on equal footing with other schools in the B1G (and uniforms too if you want to include that)

3. The strength and conditioning program appears to be at an elite level

4. Big Ten experts are now praising the practices as top level as well

To paraphrase Bill Parcells, I don't want to put him in the Hall of Fame just yet, but the momentum he has generated is cause for incredible optimism. Hopefully, the results will be on the field as well and the entire area will take notice.

I'm not following you. I think RU will be better but will still going to struggle against the top tier teams. The QB position is a huge hole that I don't think will be fixed this year and our lack of proven play makers on offense and defense glaring.

My bad. I meant to respond to the OP. Your prediction is not unreasonable. I'd be very happy with 6-6.

If our defense improves by 7 ppg (give up an average of 28 ppg vs. 35 last year) and the new offense scores at least 26 ppg (vs 27 last year) we can expect 6 Ws, roughly as follows:

@Washington L 20-28
Howard W 51-0
New Mexico W 33-17
Iowa L 23-27
@Ohio St L 13-34
Michigan L 20-31
Illinois W 27-20
@Minnesota L 26-27
Indiana W 34-31
@Michigan St L 16-30
Penn St W 26-24
@Maryland W 30-27

Given Coach Ash's expertise on the defensive side and and the low level that our defense performed at last year, IMO an improvement of 7 ppg isn't expecting something unrealistic. And expecting our offense to perform at the same level as last year should be do-able. So even without any net improvement on offense we should have a respectable season.

This season is full of swing games.

New Mexico
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Minnesota
Penn State
Maryland

Figure out how to win most of those and I think everyone will be happy.

At the same time, I think everyone is beatable. Washington to open the season, Michigan in primetime, Ash motivation vs. Ohio State, and Michigan State (without Cook) and right before they play Ohio State.

Very excited and very hopeful.

@Washington W 34-23
Howard W 42-7
New Mexico W 24-14
Iowa W 13-10
@Ohio St L 10-48
Michigan L 13-42
Illinois W 17-3
@Minnesota W 23-17
Indiana W 35-24
@Michigan St L 10-31
Penn St W 17-13
@Maryland L 35-20

In case anyone wants to get their prediction in before this thread is history.

bump.
Because this thread ( 2 page) deserves to be talked about more than the PSU prediction thread ( 5 pages) is.
Disclaimer: I have posted in the Nit prediction thread and probably will again.
I know there must be some SN members that haven't made their RU predictions
and talked about the games they think RU will win or lose .

bump.
Because this thread ( 2 page) deserves to be talked about more than the PSU prediction thread ( 5 pages) is.
Disclaimer: I have posted in the Nit prediction thread and probably will again.
I know there must be some SN members that haven't made their RU predictions
and talked about the games they think RU will win or lose .

More seem interested in them than us

Reactions: MADHAT1
Most folks are probably waiting for the ***OFFICIAL 2016 Season Prediction*** thread!

Nuts I sure hope your prediction doesn't come true except the psu part. Because 2017 is simply going to be a talent depleted roster thanks to numbnuts. I think this year's experienced team is going to yield a 6-6 record(I pray). Because two 4-8 records in a row isn't going to help recruiting and the grumblings from media and fans is going to start to grow.

First, there's no "grumbling" now. Second, there will be no "growing grumbling" after this season SO LONG as we see pride, progress, and hope, for the future of the program. I'm not worried about a 4-8 season at all in terms of perception among our fan base. Plus, there has to be "grumbling" to begin with, so see #1! [thumb2]

Last edited:
@Washington W 35-28
Howard W 42-3
New Mexico W 32-14
Iowa L 17-10
@Ohio St L 14-28
Michigan W - F Michgan
Illinois W 38-21
@Minnesota WTF game L 45-21
Indiana W 24-17
@Michigan St L 21-28
Penn St W F PSU
@Maryland W 35-10

Reactions: MADHAT1
First, there's no "grumbling" now. Second, there will be no "growing grumbling" after this season SO LONG as we see pride, progress, and hope, for the future of the program. I'm not worried about a 4-8 season at all in terms of perception among our fan base. Plus, there has to be "grumbling" to begin with, so see #1! [thumb2]
Not sure you followed what I said. You predict 3-9/4-8 this season 2016. We lose a ton after this year. In 2017 we will have a very talent depleted roster. I actually think we're going to do worse in 2017 do to all those recruiting misses from you know who. If Ash goes two straight years with 4-8 or worse records sorry but pride, progress and hope is going to dwindle rather quickly. So I really hope your prediction is way off base this year. This will buy Ash time, to fix past blunders.

I'm going to assume our offense improves by 5 ppg and the defense by 7 ppg due to coaching, increased size, improved conditioning, and genuine competition for playing time. That should be enough to improve from 4-8 (predicted by Massey) to 8-4 this season:

@Washington L 26-28
Howard W 57-0
New Mexico W 39-17
Iowa W 29-27
@Ohio St L 19-34
Michigan L 26-31
Illinois W 33-20
@Minnesota W 32-27
Indiana W 40-31
@Michigan St L 22-30
Penn St W 32-24
@Maryland W 36-27

Not sure about all the games but, we beating
Michigan!!

@Washington W 35-28
Howard W 42-3
New Mexico W 32-14
Iowa L 17-10
@Ohio St L 14-28
Michigan W - F Michgan
Illinois W 38-21
@Minnesota WTF game L 45-21
Indiana W 24-17
@Michigan St L 21-28
Penn St W F PSU
@Maryland W 35-10

So your biggest loss all year is going to be 14 points? Lol, good luck with that. Also, losing on the road to a Minnesota team that can compete in the B1G West is hardly WTF-worthy.

So your biggest loss all year is going to be 14 points? Lol, good luck with that. Also, losing on the road to a Minnesota team that can compete in the B1G West is hardly WTF-worthy.

Since this is not the "official" thread- I made my predictions with scarlet glasses on.

Reactions: Shimmy24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT