ADVERTISEMENT

Season ticket numbers

Rutgers is a place that needs five years, because you’re not going to be able to recruit 4 and 5 stars off the bat. It’s an adverse situation program where you have to work harder for less success.

You turn things around by developing your own players. This is what Schiano successfully did, And Ash hasn’t done as well because he didn’t recruit Florida. Now that he’s recruiting Florida, I think Ash is on the right track.
Ash being successful isn't as simple as recruiting Florida. He should have been fired after last year. Said going to a bowl was goal and achievable; missed badly.

Not really.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-hollis-6317297/

If I understood it correctly, the point that was made above is that someone would have to played the game to understand the nuance of being an AD at a P5 school.
Deloss Dodds was the Texas AD for a long time and the KSU AD before that and what was he before that? A track coach.

Like with anything else critical thinking, problem solving, having good people around you etc...is what will make you successful more than anything else. If you have these things even if not as experienced in the field you can do well. There's not some magical fairy dust that makes you awesome just because you played football or what not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve91562
just the opposite,IF you were Nebraska or Michigan with a baseline past,a culture and a History of past winning accomplishments that would be an OK approach of 5 years(though thats NOT todays norm even at though programs).
At Rutgers just sitting around with a" hope" and no significant signs that progress is being made, that an never been HC will turn things around in 5 years is not a intelligent move.All it does is just set one of the current worst power 5 programs back even further,makes the mountain to climb higher.
I don't consider the mountain to climb any higher. We're at the bottom, we were at the bottom and we'll still be at the bottom if Ash doesn't work out. The mountain didn't grow any taller or steeper. It's always going to be an uphill battle for us until we have some longer termed sustained respectability and success.

If anything it might be a little easier for the near future because our share of B10 money goes up with each year. In the end make a good hire and things will look up, make a bad hire and we stay at the bottom....duh lol. But IMO the hole isn't any deeper nor the mountain any higher.

Reactions: Wolv RU
One of Ashs biggest mistakes was not hiring recruiters who had recruited Florida. Thankfully, he rectified that by hiring Noah Joseph and Kolby Smith, who in turn recruited Isaiah awashington and TJ Robinson, two of the best recruits in our incoming class, who are going to play right away. Had we re recruited 2 additional impact players each of the last four years from FL, we would have been in much better shape. We seem to have competitive front line talent but depth is lacking.
Kolby Smith was just hired this year. How did he help land Robinson or Washington?

Brohm started with enough talent to be decent, a far cry from where Ash started.

It’s the several 4 and 5 stars which put him over the top. A no name, which is what we’d likely hire, isn’t going to be able to do that at Rutgers.

Lastly, where we need the biggest help is in the trenches. We don’t recruit ready made linemen, we develop them. That’s the biggest reason a new coach needs 4-5 years.

If a coach can recruit, the lineman that can impact right away, the building timeframe can shorten, but not going to hold my breathe on that one.
You are just making things up now. Purdue's recruiting classes were as bad or worse then ours in the same period.

You are just making things up now. Purdue's recruiting classes were as bad or worse then ours in the same period.

This is flat out nonsense! Purdue embarrassed OSU! I can’t remember the last time we scored a TD on OSU!

They have a WR who was an All American as a Freshman! Tell me the All American caliber WR on our roster in previous years.

The recruiting classes are not similar.

Ash being successful isn't as simple as recruiting Florida. He should have been fired after last year. Said going to a bowl was goal and achievable; missed badly.

Ash’s success is predicated on recruiting enough talent. Without FL, I don’t see how that’s possible.

As an “old” RU fan...early 50s here...I really thought we were past these days of absolute and pure rock bottom suck...I wasn’t expecting we’d be Clemson or Bama (I’m not delusionAL like you know who) but Jesus...WTF?!?

I don't consider the mountain to climb any higher. We're at the bottom, we were at the bottom and we'll still be at the bottom if Ash doesn't work out. The mountain didn't grow any taller or steeper. It's always going to be an uphill battle for us until we have some longer termed sustained respectability and success.

If anything it might be a little easier for the near future because our share of B10 money goes up with each year. In the end make a good hire and things will look up, make a bad hire and we stay at the bottom....duh lol. But IMO the hole isn't any deeper nor the mountain any higher.

We were a middle of the pack B1G team in 14. I would say we have definitely moved back. Whereas the mountain before was say, becoming an east coast Iowa, now it's getting 2+ wins and outrecruiting Temple.

Reactions: waretown
Ash’s success is predicated on recruiting enough talent. Without FL, I don’t see how that’s possible.
Let's face the truth. We were invited to the B10 for eyeballs and not because our athletic teams were competitive or outstanding facilities. We will eventually catch up only if we take the long term view and build our athletic programs from the ground up. The B10 is serious big business and the only way we can be successful over the long term is building our foundation brick by brick.

We were a middle of the pack B1G team in 14. I would say we have definitely moved back. Whereas the mountain before was say, becoming an east coast Iowa, now it's getting 2+ wins and outrecruiting Temple.
1 year doesn't make a trend it's just an anomaly until otherwise proven and other historically strong programs were also down that year. Status wise, resource wise, etc.. we are at the bottom of the mountain.. we were before Ash, we are currently and we will be in the future but make a good hire and that can change. I believe we have the potential to be an Iowa, MSU, Wisconsin type school but we're not there now and haven't been before and a 1 year aberration doesn't change that.

And frankly just to get to a 6-6 level to me doesn't take that much of a herculean lift. IMO you don't have to have a Saban type hire to get to that level...get a solid hire who knows offense or has plenty of offensive connections and I think it's very possible to get to that mediocre level without a lot of difficulty.

Losing 6,124 fans from 22,709 is not a little bit. It has now become a money game. It's costing Rutgers more to retain Ash than just to fire him. Over a season you're looking at a $4mil to $5mil loss in revenue. Hobbs gambled the fan base would stick around and lost. This is turning into quite the expensive lesson for Hobbs on Rutgers dime.

I want to put this here again. In case some don't realize, Rutgers is getting a significant uptick in Big Ten distribution $ in less than one year. Let me make Hobbs' case for retaining Ash by saying if Ash is replaced this year there should be a lot more $ to hire his replacement. Even better if Ash can win 5 this year, and make 2020 into "bowl or bust." Quite simply, the longer Rutgers waits to replace Ash, the more $ it has to hire the next staff.

Ticket sales are very important, but Rutgers gets an extra $15 million from the Big Ten starting on July 1, 2020.

Finally, we've seen it with basketball, which was terrible for years, but fans will likely come back once the team gets competitive.

Here are the figures.
Rutgers distributions from Big Ten:
2015 $8,645,986
2016 $9,043,606
2017 $9,442,178
2018 $23,841,721 ($9,841,721 + $14,000,000 loan)
2019 $26,242,246 ($10,242,246 + $13,000,000 loan + $3,000,000 advance)
2020 $28,643,801 [FY 2020 starts on July 1, 2019]
2021 $43,705,600
2022 $46,029,566
2023 $48,941,204
2024 $50,970,215
2025 $53,055,193
2026 $56,178,379
2027 $65,238,659 [First year of full share; all loans and advances paid off]
2028 $67,195,819
2029 $69,211,694

I've posted Purdue's rival recruiting rankings in the past among other lower status schools like Duke/WSU etc..who have done okay or better on the field. It's nothing to go crazy over. I've always said I view recruiting as a tiered pyramid with the tiers of similar talent getting wider as you go down and schools generally recruit to the tier corresponding to their status barring some super/poor recruiter. To make a sustained move into a tier of talent above or below will take longer term good or poor results. Coaching/development is what differentiates.

Purdue Rival Rankings

2018 49
2017 68
2016 73
2014 68
2014 71

If your favorute dining venue serves you Kobe beef for 5 years then goes to The Impossible Burger what would you do? You would stop giving them your business. Same here. RU football and hoops serve the Impossible although hoops looks like it's returning to it's original menu.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I've posted Purdue's rival recruiting rankings in the past among other lower status schools like Duke/WSU etc..who have done okay or better on the field. It's nothing to go crazy over. I've always said I view recruiting as a tiered pyramid with the tiers of similar talent getting wider as you go down and schools generally recruit to the tier corresponding to their status barring some super/poor recruiter. To make a sustained move into a tier of talent above or below will take longer term good or poor results. Coaching/development is what differentiates.

Purdue Rival Rankings

2018 49
2017 68
2016 73
2014 68
2014 71

Rutgers has out recruited BC (according to rankings) the past 5 years on average. Somehow, they manage to get to .500 every year. This is why I said that there is no excuse for losing to them this year at home.

Rutgers' recruiting is not enough to truly make a splash in the Big Ten. But it is enough not to be just embarrassingly horrible like 2016/2018.

This is flat out nonsense! Purdue embarrassed OSU! I can’t remember the last time we scored a TD on OSU!

They have a WR who was an All American as a Freshman! Tell me the All American caliber WR on our roster in previous years.

The recruiting classes are not similar.
It's called coaching and coaching up the talent you have. Check the rankings Purdue was either last or second in the BIG to last the years preceeding the Brohm hire. I have no doubt that Brohm would have made Melton into a all conference reciever by now. But nice job in changing the argument from your original statement.

It's called coaching and coaching up the talent you have. Check the rankings Purdue was either last or second in the BIG to last the years preceeding the Brohm hire. I have no doubt that Brohm would have made Melton into a all conference reciever by now. But nice job in changing the argument from your original statement.

The Florida thing is also a red herring. Things change. This isn't 2000 anymore. There are more Florida teams and now every school recruits there. Back then it was under-recruited but that is not the case anymore.

No idea why some believe running a playbook from 20 years ago would work today, when that would not provide a high chance of success in any sport or any business.

The next coach needs to find a new way to innovate or get ahead of the curve, not use whatever worked 20 years ago.

1 year doesn't make a trend it's just an anomaly until otherwise proven and other historically strong programs were also down that year. Status wise, resource wise, etc.. we are at the bottom of the mountain.. we were before Ash, we are currently and we will be in the future but make a good hire and that can change. I believe we have the potential to be an Iowa, MSU, Wisconsin type school but we're not there now and haven't been before and a 1 year aberration doesn't change that.

And frankly just to get to a 6-6 level to me doesn't take that much of a herculean lift. IMO you don't have to have a Saban type hire to get to that level...get a solid hire who knows offense or has plenty of offensive connections and I think it's very possible to get to that mediocre level without a lot of difficulty.

That is fair but think if we had an HC who could get 8 wins a year he would get a lifetime contract.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The Florida thing is also a red herring. Things change. This isn't 2000 anymore. There are more Florida teams and now every school recruits there. Back then it was under-recruited but that is not the case anymore.

No idea why some believe running a playbook from 20 years ago would work today, when that would not provide a high chance of success in any sport or any business.

The next coach needs to find a new way to innovate or get ahead of the curve, not use whatever worked 20 years ago.

It’s not a coincidence that our two best incoming recruits are from Florida. It’s not a coincidence that Janarion Grant, our most explosive playmaker this decade, is from Florida. I don’t think Rutgers can be successful without Fl kids because our value proposition is stronger there than most other states. Ash tried ignoring FL, and we have a roster full of knolls to show for his efforts. And it’s mostly because he didn’t recruit Florida.

It’s not a coincidence that our two best incoming recruits are from Florida. It’s not a coincidence that Janarion Grant, our most explosive playmaker this decade, is from Florida. I don’t think Rutgers can be successful without Fl kids because our value proposition is stronger there than most other states. Ash tried ignoring FL, and we have a roster full of knolls to show for his efforts. And it’s mostly because he didn’t recruit Florida.

If Rutgers can't be successful without Florida kids it might be a long lifetime of being a fan. Florida has a ton of players, no doubt, but a ton of schools are recruiting there.

Ash has failed as a recruiter because he isn't recruiting anywhere well. A coach needs to at least recruit one area very well to succeed in recruiting. Whether it's NJ, Florida, Georgia, or DMV, who cares. The issue is it's tougher to do now in Florida than it was 20 years ago because everyone else is trying to do so too.

If Rutgers can't be successful without Florida kids it might be a long lifetime of being a fan. Florida has a ton of players, no doubt, but a ton of schools are recruiting there.

Ash has failed as a recruiter because he isn't recruiting anywhere well. A coach needs to at least recruit one area very well to succeed in recruiting. Whether it's NJ, Florida, Georgia, or DMV, who cares. The issue is it's tougher to do now in Florida than it was 20 years ago because everyone else is trying to do so too.

What you don’t seem to understand is that Rutgers can get a better player from FL then from any other state, excluding nearby states. Ash tried recruiting Georgia, Bama, TX and the Midwest, and failed miserably. Even GS did the same but did t show results. Georgia is SEC Country. Rutgers has gotten jack squat from all the other recruiting areas you mention. The only state that has consistently given us tangible results when we’ve made an honest effort recruiting it was Florida.

Yes, but you make it sound like the magic bullet. Many more reasons for his lack of success than just not recruiting enough in Florida.

Lack of talent is his biggest reason for lack of success, and neglecting FL is an important component of that.

Reactions: bac2therac
What you don’t seem to understand is that Rutgers can get a better player from FL then from any other state, excluding nearby states. Ash tried recruiting Georgia, Bama, TX and the Midwest, and failed miserably. Even GS did the same but did t show results. Georgia is SEC Country. Rutgers has gotten jack squat from all the other recruiting areas you mention. The only state that has consistently given us tangible results when we’ve made an honest effort recruiting it was Florida.
The reality is that Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan have been recruiting in NJ since the early 70's. They each have a brand that may take some time to overcome. It is what it is unless we hire a stud HC or obtain better results on the field.

Very factual article.

Wow. Brutal stats. Love how they also included the fact they Rutgers announced attendance of 37k last year but got just 20k on average in actual attendance.

Yes so many “experts” here claimed we had at least 30k in the Stadium at many games last year. LMAO. Only one game had 25k and that was State Penn.
Actually the number of season tickets sold this year is surprisingly good considering the product on the field last season. Lost ticket revenue since 2015 is now $3.8 million per season ( exc. Donations and Parking ].
Not sure any P5 program would keep their AD after a 47% drop on Football season ticket holders in 3 years.

I want to put this here again. In case some don't realize, Rutgers is getting a significant uptick in Big Ten distribution $ in less than one year. Let me make Hobbs' case for retaining Ash by saying if Ash is replaced this year there should be a lot more $ to hire his replacement. Even better if Ash can win 5 this year, and make 2020 into "bowl or bust." Quite simply, the longer Rutgers waits to replace Ash, the more $ it has to hire the next staff.

Ticket sales are very important, but Rutgers gets an extra $15 million from the Big Ten starting on July 1, 2020.

Finally, we've seen it with basketball, which was terrible for years, but fans will likely come back once the team gets competitive.

Here are the figures.
Rutgers distributions from Big Ten:
2015 $8,645,986
2016 $9,043,606
2017 $9,442,178
2018 $23,841,721 ($9,841,721 + $14,000,000 loan)
2019 $26,242,246 ($10,242,246 + $13,000,000 loan + $3,000,000 advance)
2020 $28,643,801 [FY 2020 starts on July 1, 2019]
2021 $43,705,600
2022 $46,029,566
2023 $48,941,204
2024 $50,970,215
2025 $53,055,193
2026 $56,178,379
2027 $65,238,659 [First year of full share; all loans and advances paid off]
2028 $67,195,819
2029 $69,211,694
You lost me after if Ash can win 5 this year.

There is no way we are getting anywhere near 5 wins, are you insane?

The condition of the program is Shea level right now. No one can look at these numbers and trend and try to put in a happy face. Its really bad guys. This is the equivalent of Fred Hill gutting interest in an athletic program

The numbers are worse than i thought. The numbers of season ticket accounts is incredibly low for a Big 10 program

As bad as it is the worst is yet to come

Pat had the chance to fix this problem last year and balked out of ego. He thinks he can get a better candidate than he could have last year (I personally don't). So as a result of punting a year, the AD will lose anywhere from 5-10M for his choice (on top of the money we have bled since Ash has been here). When you tally it up, the Ash hire, the extension, the triple down of keeping him and the buyout will have cost this school close to 25-30M in a 4 year period. TWENTY-FIVE to THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS.

Throw in the potential of a new school President rolling into town in the next few months, Towers wife getting on the BOG and the strong potential of a 1-3 win season and Pat is absolutely in some hot water for the blundering of football and it's deserved. He's not bigger than Rutgers, no one is.

Spot on post here. Hobbs is tied to this Ash hire. The numbers lost dont lie. If Hobbs has to fire Ash this year..the total 4 year vhf loss in revenue is enormous when you add the buyout numbers. If he retains him at 4-8 there will be even more losses in revenue.
Hobbs did a yeomens job in fundraising but its hard to ignore the disaster the football program is right now. Do we trust Hobbs to make the decision on the next hire

Last edited:
I'm shocked that no one is reminding everyone else of this fact. Falling a game or two short of making a bowl is disappointing, but what Ash did is down right criminal.

Yes so many “experts” here claimed we had at least 30k in the Stadium at many games last year. LMAO. Only one game had 25k and that was State Penn.
Actually the number of season tickets sold this year is surprisingly good considering the product on the field last season. Lost ticket revenue since 2015 is now $3.8 million per season ( exc. Donations and Parking ].
Not sure any P5 program would keep their AD after a 47% drop on Football season ticket holders in 3 years.
I think its moving towards Hobbs may need to go.

Reactions: RUskoolie
They are focusing on single game promos and youth groups this season to try to boost attendance.

My buddy got $20 tickets through the Elks club vs MASS.
He's bringing friends that would otherwise probably not attend a RU game, but it's a Friday night and the promise of a long tailgate with cheap tickets will get extra people in the stadium

For those who think it was a dream and didn’t actually happen, very recently we went to nine bowl games in eleven years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT