ADVERTISEMENT

Selection Committees, WBCA Coaches, NJ HS Coaches: Why is CVS so unpopular?

As one of the more premiere coaches in the shore area has said. "the next time Stringer steps inside this school will be the first." Can't have that and expect support. I know how parochial the shore area can be but this is when perception becomes reality and this extends to the AAU programs as well.

OK - that is not good -
but why are there not eager, professional, assistant coaches having excellent interactions that put the relationships on a level where CVS interaction is not quite as critical of an issue - or not an issue that would be readily & openly grumbled about?

OK - that is not good -
but why are there not eager, professional, assistant coaches having excellent interactions that put the relationships on a level where CVS interaction is not quite as critical of an issue - or not an issue that would be readily & openly grumbled about?
Because as I said before this partly an ABR story too.

Reactions: RUMBA-JK
Is it true? Is CVS and her program unpopular? Why is the refrain on this board always that every year the Committee looks for ways to screw RU?

Why overthink it like this? I was hoping they'd get into the tournament, but it's completely reasonable that they didn't. It could have gone either way. Why torture yourself by looking for intangible reasons?

Because as I said before this partly an ABR story too.
Can you explain ABR for a slower member like me?
Others in the thread got it right.

Anybody But Rutgers.

When have we had a player from St. Rose, Manasquan, SJV or RBC?

It might be a little CVS but IMO it’s a little of Rutgers too. And maybe she picked up on that vibe and realized some of the talent in the Shore Conference doesn’t want to be here so she concentrates her efforts elsewhere?

One interesting thing here is the emphasis on high school coaches. I've had a sense for a while that the AAU coaches matter more. Is that not true in New Jersey?

Though I'm mad about the way this season ended and snubbing the WNIT as well, Hobbs made the right choice and I feel CVS should be the RUWBB HC next year.
But Hobbs must be ready to replace Vivian if the team doesn't reach the NCAA Tourney next year, for the third year in row. .
Either with the carrot retire as( Coach Emeritus) and have a say in replacement or be pushed out the door and wait for a retirement ceremony along with not having a voice in who takes over.
I don't look at it like RU "snubbed" the WNIT, I look at it like a very cogent statement....."We are not taking your shit anymore."

Anybody But Rutgers.

"When have we had a player from St. Rose, Manasquan, SJV or RBC? I am not very familiar with that area. When was the last time any shore H'S.'s had players go to top 25 college teams?

It might be a little CVS but IMO it’s a little of Rutgers too. And maybe she picked up on that vibe and realized some of the talent in the Shore Conference doesn’t want to be here so she concentrates her efforts elsewhere?

Off the top of my head there are some at ND, Maryland and DePaul now. Also a few at the “other receiving votes” ones too.

I guess NJ players like Shakena and Daisha coming in, transferring out, and succeeding elsewhere (including coming back to the Hall to burn us) doesn't help CVS with NJ HS coaches either.

Anybody But Rutgers.

When have we had a player from St. Rose, Manasquan, SJV or RBC?

Alex Alfano was from Red Bank Catholic.

I guess NJ players like Shakena and Daisha coming in, transferring out, and succeeding elsewhere (including coming back to the Hall to burn us) doesn't help CVS with NJ HS coaches either.
You forgot to mention Essy Davis who stayed and was named Defensive Player of the Year. also Brionya Canty who played despite several difficult medical problems. Both Essy and Bri are always at games and around the program. These random attacks are unfounded. Disagree with the teams decision but don't arrive at conclusions to fit your opinion.

I like Kena, but she transferred to FSU first and got less playing time there than she did at RU. She probably would have gotten less playing time at RU in her junior season with the addition of Scaife to the roster, but that is only speculation. She left FSU after one season (not counting the season she had to sit after transfer rules) when they brought in players like Leticia Romero, Imani Wright and Brittany Brown. She was able to contribute more to Seton Hall in her last year of eligibility as they didn't have the talent on their roster that FSU and RU did. Yes she did burn us in that one game, but I don't think that one game defines her career and I think being coached by both Stringer and Semrau certainly helped her develop.

don't arrive at conclusions to fit your opinion

Sorry, 67, but...

--your Essy and Bri comments are true ... but totally immaterial to my comment;

--as for your next sentence: my comment was not random, not an attack, and not unfounded; and lastly

--you couldn't possibly have meant to write that silly, nonsensical phrase quoted above.

I promised myself not to become involved in this thread again but I have to point out facts. Statements like Daisha Simmons "coming back to help the Hall burn us" are out and out incorrect.
Daisha played for Seton Hall for 1 year (2014-15) and faced us at Storrs in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. She played 40 minutes and scored 9 points in a game we won easily 79-66. So please - criticize me if you must, but at least get your facts correct.

Statements like Daisha Simmons "coming back to help the Hall burn us" are out and out incorrect.

Granted. She didn't have a great game in the NCAAs. (That, at least, is a legitimate response to my comment.)

Still, she did have a great year for the Hall. Started EVERY game. Averaged almost 17 points. Was the BEast Defensive Player of the Year. Watching her play for the Hall was hard.

I remember how pained I was when she left RU: this young woman who I had been following, a girl who had taken buses back and forth from Hudson County every day so she could play for an elite prep program at GSB. Always wondered why she left RU. Still do.

Reactions: scarlettb
Always wondered why she left RU. Still do.

Didn't she transfer to Alabama with Briana Hutchen? I always though Breezy left due to lack of playing time and thought maybe she encouraged Daisha to go with her. They were the only two freshman on the team that year so I assume they probably were roommates. I'm sure Daisha must have been dissatisfied with her RU basketball experience, but I never understood why she left either. She got to play decent minutes for a freshman and would have continued to increase those minutes because she played good defense.

Daisha was at the RAC after her b-ball career was over and she said leaving RU was a big mistake and that she should of stayed at RU.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Didn't she transfer to Alabama with Briana Hutchen? I always though Breezy left due to lack of playing time and thought maybe she encouraged Daisha to go with her. They were the only two freshman on the team that year so I assume they probably were roommates. I'm sure Daisha must have been dissatisfied with her RU basketball experience, but I never understood why she left either. Daisha got to play decent minutes for a freshman and would have continued to increase those minutes because she played good defense.
She did play decent minutes and did a good job. Is she stayed, I think she would have played a lot and would of had a nice career at RU. I always wondered if she transferred because of the new players coming in which was Canty, Copper, Betnijah, Shakena and Essy.

Not well thought of in the shore area. She should be dominating one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country, especially one in her own backyard.
Too add to this, I've talked to reporters that cover the Shore area who said coaches from RU don't even show up to scout players.

Just caught the end of the TOC final online. A junior from Squan averaged a double-double in the state tournament. Finished with 21 and 14 today. She's a verbal to Maryland ...

Been away from computers for several weeks, but wanted to share the thoughts of a short-time season's ticket holder (of 12 years).
I am really really disappointed in RU's decision to say "no" to the WNIT.
CVS seems to be very appreciative of the fans, but is she really?
As a fan, I want to see more of Tyler Scaife and the other young ladies on the team, even if they got snubbed from the NCAA.
This team needs experience playing in tournament situations and the WNIT would have provided that unique forum!
Does RU's refusal of the WNIT really punish the NCAA Selection Committee and send them a message?
Hell no, all it does is punish the fans who enjoy the WBB program (and it makes me question CVS's goals for developing this team).
If I recall, the last time RU played in the WNIT, one of the games was at the RAC?
I am really disappointed and I may speak out by withholding my annual gift to the Build Big Ten fund.
As a side note, I see a lot of really talented players in the NCAA (and probably the WNIT) and I wonder how RU can land more prospects and mprove it's recruiting?

Too add to this, I've talked to reporters that cover the Shore area who said coaches from RU don't even show up to scout players.

Just caught the end of the TOC final online. A junior from Squan averaged a double-double in the state tournament. Finished with 21 and 14 today. She's a verbal to Maryland ...
Was anybody there from Rutgers to watch?

Was anybody there from Rutgers to watch?
Not sure. Was watching online. Franklin has one stud who's going to Maryland as well. Obviously Mabrey is headed to Va Tech. The only one that would be left for them would be Mullaney, a junior sharpshooter, who's already got some major offers. Might be too late in the game for RU.

Diamond Miller going to Maryland. I realize that but gentleman above me did not know.

Last edited:
I realize that Class 67, but would like to know if Miller told Stringer she did not want to stay in Jersey or Stringer did not go after her. Sorry don't like she is going to Maryland, wish it was ND.

Reactions: bac2therac
It may be a lack of the press or board coverage, but how often to hear about CVS attending local HS WBB games or tournaments. Pike and coaches are very active in that area.

Reactions: shields
It may be a lack of the press or board coverage, but how often to hear about CVS attending local HS WBB games or tournaments. Pike and coaches are very active in that area.
From the information shared to me from various coaches and trainers at the grass roots level in the Central Jersey/Shore area they very rarely are seen. I know one of the trainers that has worked with many of the top recruited shore girls and he has said they were open to RU but didn't receive much "love." He has said since the 2010/11 staff turnover there hasn't been an effort by RU to embrace much of the talent in NJ like the competition has.

From the information shared to me from various coaches and trainers at the grass roots level in the Central Jersey/Shore area they very rarely are seen. I know one of the trainers that has worked with many of the top recruited shore girls and he has said they were open to RU but didn't receive much "love." He has said since the 2010/11 staff turnover there hasn't been an effort by RU to embrace much of the talent in NJ like the competition has.
#justsad

I realize that Class 67, but would like to know if Miller told Stringer she did not want to stay in Jersey or Stringer did not go after her. Sorry don't like she is going to Maryland, wish it was ND.
I believe RU did recruit D. Miller and she was at one of the games in the beginning of the year. I saw a girl with a HS basketball jacket and was only able to see a“FR” (Franklin HS) on the back of the jacket and the rest of the school name was covered by her hair, but it did look like her.
I believe CVS and staff try recruiting some of the top HS players, but we don’t get them. RU recruited T. Harris who is the PG for South Carolina, she is a sophomore now. I’ve seen other top players names that considered RU, but choose else where.
RU did recruit Flaherty and the oldest Maybre girl who went to ND.
RU is also looking at K Bell who is highly ranked in 2019.

There is new recruit info already posted on top of page. Who is K. Bell? From where? Position? 1st name? Please post above so it doesn't get lost.

I would be interested in knowing more about CVS and staff's efforts in recruiting in NJ/Tri-state area. Our best team only started women from either NJ or NYC (Vaughn/Zurich/Carson/Prince/Ajavon). Our last two draft picks (Laney and Copper) are both NJ approximate (Delaware and Philly).

I don't believe CVS has had much success going after girls from private schools (like Peddie), and it seems as if the shore is a weakness too. Which doesn't make sense since the talent can be so strong there. the question though is CVS going after these girls and just not getting them?

CVS (in addition to Frese) was at this big game this year: http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...-flock-to-no-1-franklin-vs-no-3-rutgers-prep/

Star Ledger's First Team All State this year:

Tori Hyduke--GW Commit
Dara Mabrey--VT Commit
Faith Masonius--Jr, MD verbal
Diamond Miller--Jr, MD verbal
Michelle Sidor--Jr

2nd team:
Kylee Watson--So, ESPN's #2 player in Class of 2020
Lucy Thomas--Monmouth Commit
Leilani Correa--Jr
Mya Bembry--Jr
Azana Baines--Jr (as of December, RU was in her list of top 15 schools: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ic-high-school-girls-basketball-20171214.html)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT