ADVERTISEMENT

SH tonight. Welcome to the B1G.

I think I would box and 1 against Powell. The rest if the team ain’t too good
The rest of the team is good. They defer to Powell especially when he was hot tonight with 37 points. They are the tallest team at Seton Hall I can remember in 20 plus years. They can rebound, block shots, defend, and have other three point shooters, including the stretch 4, and they have quick guards that can drive past you. They are our rival and we hate them but let ‘s not call them not so good. Toe to toe with MSU preseason consensus # 1 team . That was a terrific November college basketball game.

Yes Michigan State rallies to win ! Big win for Big 10. Seton Hall perhaps with some questionable shots the last few minutes.

I am not sad
Suspect officiating at the end, but always happy to see SHU lose.
Agree I hate Seton Hall but they got hosed on the last two plays so much contact

Some of the shots he took were just his awful.

Again could be me just not understanding the strategy of hoops..but I’d take Malik hall’s 7-for-7 17 points over 12-28 from the field,
Malik hall gonna be really good But again he’s on a very talented team. Shu not so much. If I am shu I want Powell taking 30 shots.

The rest of the team is good. They defer to Powell especially when he was hot tonight with 37 points. They are the tallest team at Seton Hall I can remember in 20 plus years. They can rebound, block shots, defend, and have other three point shooters, including the stretch 4, and they have quick guards that can drive past you. They are our rival and we hate them but let ‘s not call them not so good. Toe to toe with MSU preseason consensus # 1 team . That was a terrific November college basketball game.
Take Powell away they aren’t good at all imo. Their tall guys are stiffs.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
It's very subtle but coaches somehow forget basic coaching when it comes to high scoring players.

Every open look Powell gets when he doesn't have the ball, is easily prevented....somehow teams back off the point guard who has the ball and allows the point guard to freely pass the ball.....any respectable guard can make a pass to a great shooter if he's not pressured.....but somehow the guards (Nelson or McKnight) are played off and allows them to whip passes to Powell.

If Powell has the ball, shade him and if he gives up the ball, stay with him.

Stopping Powell happens by pressuring the ball handler at all times...baffling that a player can come off screens and the passer has free reign to make passes...if that player cant make quality passes, Powell's ability to catch and shoot is definitely reduced.

Carsen Edwards is the only shot maker that is unconscious about taking shots like Powell....Edwards had the ball in his hands more but SHU interior defense in the paint was great.

Powell is a helluva player. Won’t dispute that.

But 12-for-28 from the field..ehh...

I guess i don’t get basketball too much if that’s “insane”
Totally agree, I said in another thread statistically speaking, attempting those same 28 shots geo would have 36 points based on %’s, powell had 37. Its not as impressive as people think. Kid also cant get to the tin for his life

Reactions: mikemarc1
Bottom 4? Try bottom 2
Just face it, your ability to analyze basketball talent is complete garbage. You’re gonna tell me seton hall isn’t a top 25 team again? Yeah right. You’ll get absolutely scorched by seton hall and Michigan state twice. You have nobody with half the talent or drive of Powell.

Just face it, your ability to analyze basketball talent is complete garbage. You’re gonna tell me seton hall isn’t a top 25 team again? Yeah right. You’ll get absolutely scorched by seton hall and Michigan state twice. You have nobody with half the talent or drive of Powell.
Powell took 28 shots, 28. I said coming into the year that i thought both SHU and MSU were overrated/over ranked. Youll see as the season plays out.

however, any day youd like, i will play you one on one and you name the price. I’ll give you 5 to 1 odds as well.

Reactions: Local Shill
He was around 70% healthy at best tonight
What an effort, put the team on his back and almost beat the #3 team in the country.
Come on, you dont really believe this do you? He was completely and totally fine, he couldve finished the Stony brook game and ive been saying that since that day. For hipaa reasons I cant say how i know for a fact he was completely fine but you can look through my posts going back to the stony brook game where i said willard was being a clown and willard was going to play vs msu

Come on, you dont really believe this do you? He was completely and totally fine, he couldve finished the Stony brook game and ive been saying that since that day. For hipaa reasons I cant say how i know for a fact he was completely fine but you can look through my posts going back to the stony brook game where i said willard was being a clown and willard was going to play vs msu

Eh, not.

Powell is a helluva player. Won’t dispute that.

But 12-for-28 from the field..ehh...

I guess i don’t get basketball too much if that’s “insane”

He was around 70% healthy at best tonight
What an effort, put the team on his back and almost beat the #3 team in the country.

Phenomenal effort.

Just don’t think a guy who shot 12-28 from the field should be considered “insane” or “lights out”

MSU lost to Kentucky who got blasted by Evansville at home. Now Seton Hall can’t event take care of MSU at home? Evansville would be SHU by 10 or more just like Wofford. SHU is trash

SHU went toe to toe with the best team in the Big. SHU should have one won the game but played a little sloppy in the last two minutes. The Big 10 Refs, who were good for most of the game, swallowed their whistles on drives by Mamu and Powell at the end. They were mugged. However, that’s basketball.

We have not looked good one but so far. SHU with Powell is going to cause us big problems. Looks like a loss for us unless we improve dramatically.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
Spot on comments.This was a terrific college game between two evenly matched teams.Both teams make it difficult to score especially around the basket with their shot blockers.Powell clearly is one of the most prolific scorers in college basketball because of his range on the 3 pointer as well as ability to dribble drive to the basket.MSU is harder to defend because they have more scoring threats on the court at the same time but Seton Hall isn't just Powell on offense as Rutgers will see in December.

SHU went toe to toe with the best team in the Big. SHU should have one won the game but played a little sloppy in the last two minutes. The Big 10 Refs, who were good for most of the game, swallowed their whistles on drives by Mamu and Powell at the end. They were mugged. However, that’s basketball.

Seton Hall looked good and man I would love to have a player like Powell for RU just once (wasn't following RU as much in the Douby days). Would love to have that shot blocking dude too to go with Myles Johnson.

But Corey Sanders led team in 2017 lost in OT at Michigan State which were ranked #4 I think. So it's not like Seton Hall did some incredible feat. MSU was without Langford too and they probably will only get better. Still up for grabs as to who is best in B1G as Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan will be tough

Totally agree, I said in another thread statistically speaking, attempting those same 28 shots geo would have 36 points based on %’s, powell had 37. Its not as impressive as people think. Kid also cant get to the tin for his life

Are we actually debating whether Myles Powell had a good game???

Reactions: donnie_baseball

Gill clearly fouled Hall on the layup that gave MSU the lead and it wasn't called.....in the B1G, they dont make those 50/50 foul calls....Mamu went up but it wasn't blatant and Powell was out of control on the drive and off balance more than getting fouled.

SHU played great defense most of the night, had a great crowd and emptied the tank vs a Top 5 program. If SHU didn't have one of Gill or Ike inside to alter shots, it's a 10 to 15 point game. They smothered MSU inside all game and while Powell gets the headlines, the defense was the story (to me) if SHU had won.

I do think at some point, Willard is a good coach because he allows free reign for the best shooter/scorer in CBB this season, to go wild.....and Willard is a terrible coach because he allows Powell to jack up shots from Maplewood or Penn Station and the rest of the team plays through Powell.

MSU played team basketball and I don't think they have enough dynamic players to win a National championship.....but I somehow wonder if 12 -28 from the field is 9-28 from the field and it's a 8 to 12 point game, does that translate over an extended season, when SHU faces ranked competition......I can see Powell getting 30 points at least 12 times this season, and it makes the highlight reel.....

At some point, those shooting nights are going to launch SHU to an elite 8 or an early exit, if Powell is guarded well and has an off shooting night. There has to be a Plan B or C, or another player developed to help Powell.

They were not mugged. They just didn’t get bailed out. Both were weak sauce drives.

A couple SHU fans are crying about the last 2 calls but Hall definitely got clobbered by Gill on his drive late in the game as was easily seen on the replay. Mamu might have been hit somewhat at the end game but as Hawk said Powell forced the issue and was completely out of control. Several SHU guys were ripping the BIG for some early losses but the BIG won the Gavitt games once again 5-3, The BIG came up big. Villanova a supposed top 10 team got blasted by 25 which could have easily been over 30. Northwestern who lost to Merrimack took Providence who many SHU fans think will be dancing to the woodshed. Georgetown playing at home was taken apart by Penn State. McClung only had 3 points and I think was 1-9 from the field.

Seton Hall will blow us out if they are clicking when we play them. The paint is essentially closed given their shot blocking so we’ll be dependent on shooting. Powell is just too much to handle, you have to pray he’s off.

I also don't think Powell was fouled. Looked like the MS defenders had the position and were at least mostly straight up (and it's a crucial call, so it needs to be a foul). Powell just drove into their chests and bounced off and fell. Gill definitely fouled Hall the play before on that and 1. Beyond that I'm sure there were fouls missed on both ends. Michigan State has just been there too many times, they stay composed. SHU played a little more fast and sloppy on the last couple of plays and as usual that's the difference. Otherwise, this was SHU's best they can play and lost... something almost all teams do against MSU - including Rutgers, so I wouldn't look beyond that.

To say that SH is not a top twenty team is ridiculous. They played MSU even and MSU certainly is a top twenty team, at minimum. RU is going to have to game plan for Powell on defense, and for Gill on offense. That won't be easy. They have enough quality players and depth to give anyone a tough time. Wouldn't surprise me at all if SH went deep into the NCAA tourney.

Up 5 with 2 minutes left....I dont do percentages but SHU probably had an 80% chance of winning in that scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT