ADVERTISEMENT

Should Pike be paid more than Schiano? Pike's contract is up for early renewal.

Give the man at least 3.5 Mil a year + bunch of incentives. 5% increase every year

all incentives with 5% increase every year
$250,000 winning B1G
$250,000 for making the NCAA Tour
$50,000 for each round advancing
$100,000 Final Four
$250,000 NCAA Champion

Give him land and build him a house also!!!

DO IT!!!

5Year Pay cover Buy out!!!

Reactions: ScarletDave
should the guy whose team is good get paid more than the guy whose team stinks? Who is bringing the buzz to Rutgers? Who made our home environment a national story? Who is bringing in top recruits...not in NJ mind you, but in the entire country? Of course he should be paid more.

Give the man at least 3.5 Mil a year + bunch of incentives. 5% increase every year

$250,000 winning B1G
$100,000 Final Four
$250,000 NCAA Champion

DO IT!!!

Let's turn Old Queens into his private residential manor house and let him and his heirs live there in perpetuity.

$250,000 winning B1G
$100,000 Final Four
$250,000 NCAA Champion

DO IT!!!

I'm fine giving Pike a big contract, but when you give someone millions of dollars, to also provide a house, to me, is bad optics.

should the guy whose team is good get paid more than the guy whose team stinks? Who is bringing the buzz to Rutgers? Who made our home environment a national story? Who is bringing in top recruits...not in NJ mind you, but in the entire country? Of course he should be paid more.
Only caveat is it being different sports, but yeah, on pure performance it's an easy call.

My split between watching RFootball to RHoops over the past decade has gone from 50/50 to 10/90. There’s only so much aggravation you can take as you get older and time better spent in the Fall. I certainly look forward to RHoops a lot more the last 4 years!
So in the words of Teddy KGB … “Pay dat man heeees money!”
And pay up to keep Knight, Hobbs & Thompson to be able to retain them for at least another 5 years when our 5 stars get here.

Last edited:
Reactions: eddynyse
It will be interesting to see how he does with the talent he has coming in. He strikes me as a coach who has turned the program around because he's instilled a culture that focuses on playing hard, playing defense, and sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. Bringing in top ten kids and 5-stars who have NBA expectations is a different sort of coaching job than what he's had to deal with so far. Many of those highly-rated kids won't be happy just to win if they aren't getting their 20 and 10. But there are some top recruits who are more coachable and maybe that's what he's got. But it will be a different type of coaching job than what's he had there so far.

Last edited:
Should be paid based on conference coach peers.

Schiano is what 11/12th highest paid coach in big ten? Pike is where, around middle of pack or higher? Don’t follow the basketball money side of things closely

Reactions: biazza38
Two points.

1. College coach salaries are ridiculous and indefensible. They put the lie to any idea of amateurism in college athletics.

2. I'm so over being mad at the first point. Pay the man. He's earned a huge raise when compared to his peers.

Football is what got us into the Big Ten. Therefore, the football coach should be paid more. Anyone who wants to base pay on an individual sport's performance is also saying the men's and women's soccer coaches and the men's baseball coach should get more millions more in salaries.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
Football is what got us into the Big Ten. Therefore, the football coach should be paid more. Anyone who wants to base pay on an individual sport's performance is also saying the men's and women's soccer coaches and the men's baseball coach should get more millions more in salaries.
Not if the football coach is running a hopeless and embarrassing football program.

A college football coach should make more than the basketball coach but the question is Schiano vs. Pikiell. Given the results, there's no doubt that Steve should get rewarded for what he has meant to the program.

Right now, Pike is a far more successful coach than Schiano and he is deserving of a raise and an extension. But football revenue drives the athletic department bus - that's where most of the Big 10 TV revenue comes from - so I don't ever see any Big 10 school, including RU, paying their basketball coach more than their football coach. Greg is the lowest paid football coach in the Big 10. If he doesn't get the job done, it will cost RU a lot more to replace him with a good candidate!

Pay Me GIF

It will be interesting to see how he does with the talent he has coming in. He strikes me as a coach who has turned the program around because he's instilled a culture that focuses on playing hard, playing defense, and sacrificing yourself for the good of the team. Bringing in top ten kids and 5-stars who have NBA expectations is a different sort of coaching job than what he's had to deal with so far. Many of those highly-rated kids won't be happy just to win if they aren't getting their 20 and 10. But there are some top recruits who are more coachable and maybe that's what he's got. But it will be a different type of coaching job than what's he had there so far.
It depends on expectations.Pikiell has stated he wants to win a national championship.which can only occur with higher level talent that are scorers.The same strategy happened at Uconn with Calhoun as head coach.

Pike deserves big money now, but would you say he deserves top dollar with seasons like this
Year 1: 15-18
year 2: : 15-19
year 3: 14-17
Yes he took over a terrible program and made it respectable, but if you're going to consider Schiano a loser because he didn't make RU great in the 3 years he's been back. remember like Pike he took over a disaster .

A college football coach should make more than the basketball coach but the question is Schiano vs. Pikiell.
It’s not about football v. Basketball or Schiano v. Pike. It’s about the market for basketball coaches and Pike. I have a friend who is an ND alum who says Pike is on their list. Pike is gonna get a new contract. I hope that it’s enough to keep him at Rutgers… But it probably won’t be Nick Saban money.

Football didn't get us into the Big Ten.

The media market our football team plays in did.

There was an article posted on the football board not long ago that explains everything from the players involved.

If and when Schiano wins, he can then have the boosters elevate his salary etc.

Winning in basketball should help football and vice versa.

If Pike gets the talent and does something special with it, I think he’ll have dominant teams and a strong foundation until he retires.

Right now, Pike is a far more successful coach than Schiano and he is deserving of a raise and an extension. But football revenue drives the athletic department bus - that's where most of the Big 10 TV revenue comes from - so I don't ever see any Big 10 school, including RU, paying their basketball coach more than their football coach. Greg is the lowest paid football coach in the Big 10. If he doesn't get the job done, it will cost RU a lot more to replace him with a good candidate!
Was speaking to an SEC high up AD personnel person who was chiding Rutgers for Hobbs strategy.

Different programs different goals. But he reiterated what we all know which is if you’re not giving your football program 90% of your attention and effort your athletic department is not going to thrive in the long run.

Independent of that, Pike has done a great job and future looks bright. I suspect we will pay Pike like a top 6 Big Ten basketball coach and can do so as football subsidizes enough being a BIG program to do so even if revenue is not there.

Pike has done well to grow revenue too so it makes it more tolerable to increase salary. We should raise ticket prices in the 100 level to continue that momentum.

Any great coach wants to coach great talents. I am not worried about how Pike will adjust, and he has his Connecticut and Calhoun experience to lean on.

Football didn't get us into the Big Ten.

There was an article posted on the football board not long ago that explains everything from the players involved.
Is the way I see it.
But it's the football program's media market not MBB or WBB TV viewership that did it.
So you can say RU FB played a big role in getting the invite

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT