ADVERTISEMENT

Should we consider Firing Pikell?!

You must have missed the Littlepage, Wenzel, Bannon, Waters, Hill, Rice, and Jordan years

Wenzel’s early years were actually pretty good. Two appearances at the Big Dance in first three years. Not sure I had more fun at a game then the A10 championship game at the RAC against Penn State I believe. Great atmosphere. Great game and put us in the tourney.

Maybe our expectations were a bit inflated. Couldn’t win away from home or on a neutral court. Every court is neutral this year without fans. The team is streaky and just not consistently good.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Either Hurley
Sha Halloway
Kevin Willard (i actually think hed listen tbh)
Jason Kidd

Rutgers doesnt have the balls to do it but my #1 would be Rick Pitino

No to Jason Kidd. Aside from 1/2 half a season with the Nets, he’s not a good coach. Absolutely squandered Giannis.

The Hurleys or Willard aren’t leaving their schools for us.

I would put Sha on my list. I think he has what it takes. I would also look at Pitino. I’d knock on Kenny Atkinson’s door too. I think he would do well at the college level if he got some recruiting sharks.

Wenzel’s early years were actually pretty good. Two appearances at the Big Dance in first three years. Not sure I had more fun at a game then the A10 championship game at the RAC against Penn State I believe. Great atmosphere. Great game and put us in the tourney.
Fell apart too quick unfortunately

I love the optimism but this is such a steep fall it’s hard not to look at the coach and think what in the world are you doing

Reactions: Rutgers56
Either Hurley
Sha Halloway
Kevin Willard (i actually think hed listen tbh)
Jason Kidd

Rutgers doesnt have the balls to do it but my #1 would be Rick Pitino
Neither Hurley wants to be here and either would bail for a “high profile” job
Holloway has St. Peter’s at 6-5 with back to back losses against Canisius
Willard would be unlikely to leave and I don’t think he’s a better coach
Kidd would be an Eddie/Lovie Smith type hire, he imploded as an NBA coach

Respect that you named some picks but I don’t think any does a better job than Pike at this point

The problem is hes not making an effort to even correct it because he recruits players who just try hard

he obviously doesn’t know how to correct it or he would have. We just do the same things and expect different results.

Reactions: Rutgers56
Since everyone is so sensitive I changed the thread title to a debate and will ask, should we consider firing Pikell? What if this team continues to regress? What if we don’t make the Tournament? This is arguably a better team with better recruits. What if shooting stays at 57% FT.

Since everyone is so sensitive I changed the thread title to a debate and will ask, should we consider firing Pikell? What if this team continues to regress? What if we don’t make the Tournament? This is arguably a better team with better recruits. What if shooting stays at 57% FT.

I wouldn’t fire him this year but Pike has to take on a much bigger focus on improving foul shooting and finishing layups. In the B1G all these things add up. It’s not Stony Brook where you can get away with that kind of stuff. Iowa and Wisconsin will kill you from the line. They don’t miss and it adds up to a dozen or more points in their favor. Failure to do that over the next couple of years meanswe need an upgrade to compete in this league.

Shoot 25% from 3 and you win this game and the post is never here. It is an amazing feat to shoot 3s and FT this poorly. He motivated them to be in a place to win even though the offense was terrible. I hope he finishes his career at Rutgers. Take that!

He doesn’t deserve 20% of the $ we are paying him. This is some of the most pathetic basketball I have ever watched. He’s lost this team. It’s over.

What if this team continues to regress? What if we don’t make the Tournament? This is arguably a better team with better recruits. What if shooting stays at 57% FT. Does he just get a free pass?
There's fools. And then there's damned fools!

This is a SHU supporter telling you that things aren't as bad as they seem. The Pirates, and many teams, go thru bad spells each season. RU can either gut it out and get back on track, or, let these past two weeks overtake their emotions. A good coach manages to get his team untracked, this is what Pike gets paid the big bucks for. I do believe RU jumped the gun in raising his salary as no other Big 5 school was coming after him, miss the Tourney and he should be given at least another year by the school.

Firing pike lol. The guy had made RU respectable . Last years team was the best in 30 years . There are no excuses not to make the tournament this year . A fail this year and it’s time to mildly worry. Next year that means he needs to make the tournament . If he fails in 2022, he should be canned. Even if we make one of the loser tournaments. But this is rutgers , so he will probably get through 2023 .

The problem is hes not making an effort to even correct it because he recruits players who just try hard

Pike staying will just prolong our NCAA Tournament drought.
Time to move on next season.

He doesn’t deserve 20% of the $ we are paying him. This is some of the most pathetic basketball I have ever watched. He’s lost this team. It’s over.

What if this team continues to regress? What if we don’t make the Tournament? This is arguably a better team with better recruits. What if shooting stays at 57% FT. Does he just get a free pass?
This is best basketball we’ve had in 20+ years. How do you justify firing him?

This is best basketball we’ve had in 20+ years. How do you justify firing him?
Hes not gonna get fired. However, if we dont make the tourney this year and fall on our face again in 2022, its probably a convo worthy of having at that point.

we cannot let 30 years of complete ineptitude lower our bar. We have a competent administration now and world class facilities. Raise the bar. Anything short of the ncaa every year should be disappointing

Let’s enjoy the victory against a team that was rusty due to Covid. Pike is the best coach we’ve hd in ages. Doesn’t take away the fact that everyone realizes the five game skid was problematic.

KYK and several others were so far off base. As I said the BIG 10 is a monster of a league. There are no off nights. Steve has brought us from being # 279 in the country when he took over to being a well respected team throughout the country. We don't need fans who just rip on our coaches and players. I have watched many practices the last few years and every coach and player works so hard every day. I love all of them and always will.

Interesting that you came to this board to whine and troll incessantly like a child during a losing streak was losing. And now that they've started to turn it around......POOF......you're gone. Pretty much sums you up.

2 weeks of hindsight clear your head? Yep you're an idiot....lol

Interesting that you came to this board to whine and troll incessantly like a child during a losing streak was losing. And now that they've started to turn it around......POOF......you're gone. Pretty much sums you up.
They’re all gone. Shocker.

We’d owe wayyyyy too much to fire him. However, lets hope our players get red hot, sneak in the tourney and another school offers him a blank check. We can do much better than him. Hes not a great coach

you are spot on as always

Yea ship him on out of here and bring back Eddie Jordan.

I think it is funny that pikiell brought in the highest rated recruit in Rutgers history in Cliff and he doesn’t start on our team. That says a lot about Rutgers and what pikiell is dealing with. When duke recruits the best recruit in history they start and then go to the nba. When Rutgers recruits them it is a three year project. Anyone who thinks pikiell should be fired doesn’t care about Rutgers basketball. Period. They should be shunned by anyone in the program before they ruin it for all of us. Rutgers is playing meaningful basketball games for the first time in 30 years in the big 10 and we want to fire the coach?

Lastly just remember Danny Hurley didnt have the guts to take the Rutgers job. So when you say Rutgers can do better dont forget 5 years ago they couldn’t do better because no one wanted the job. That is how bad Rutgers as a program was. Rutgers, a big 10 program paying millions of dollars, couldnt get two A-10 coaches to commit. So the answer is no, Rutgers could not get anyone better. Anyone better wouldn’t risk their career by taking the Rutgers job that was decimated by terrible coaches like Mike rice and Eddie Jordan.

Reactions: RUNYC13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT