ADVERTISEMENT

SI article paints future of NCAA fracture and NIL mess

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
It's a total disaster. OU announced today 40-50k NIL a year for every player.

If it's going in that direction, get rid of the scholarships. Just treat them like semi pro teams at that point. I just cannot get myself to write a check for a current RU player for an NIL deal. They have zero value. It would be pay for play and I can't get myself to give these kids money when they walk on water as a student athlete and get free everything already as it is.

If it's going in that direction, get rid of the scholarships. Just treat them like semi pro teams at that point. I just cannot get myself to write a check for a current RU player for an NIL deal. They have zero value. It would be pay for play and I can't get myself to give these kids money when they walk on water as a student athlete and get free everything already as it is.

Agree it’s really headed downhill fast

Don't shoot the messenger. Swarbrick is right. Plus some of us predicted the immediate disaster the NIL would become
NIL is not the disaster. That was just the Supreme Court saying the athletes were being exploited, which was true. The disaster is the NCAA and the big conferences not having the vision and unity to come up with a system that is fair but brings some stability. They may move to deal with it eventually. But as NIL is still so new and evolving fast it’s hard to create a system to regulate it.

Write the check or get out . Let us know .

Those who weaponize NIL correctly will leave other in the dust. There are about 20+ schools out there who will dominate the process because of wealthy and $$-giving alumni.

inequalities between and within conferences will widen and even some B1G and SEC schools with large media payouts will still fall behind other larger and more powerful members.

NIL was never about equality.

Those who weaponize NIL correctly will leave other in the dust. There are about 20+ schools out there who will dominate the process because of wealthy and $$-giving alumni.

inequalities between and within conferences will widen and even some B1G and SEC schools with large media payouts will still fall behind other larger and more powerful members.

NIL was never about equality.
So we need to be one of those 20. No excuses

Reactions: tico brown

Don't shoot the messenger. Swarbrick is right. Plus some of us predicted the immediate disaster the NIL would become
Everyone knew it was going to be a mess. Someone will figure out how to manage it in the future but it was still the right move to allow NIL. It was ridiculous that the NCAA made players sign it away in the first place.

Reactions: BLewis1968
And good point made in the article about Olympic sports going to really suffer

Yep this was always my biggest complaint with NIL.

Only the top 1-2% of all college athletes are realllly gonna benefit meanwhile it’s going to have monumental and negative impacts to ADs across the country.

The average college athlete is going to suffer in the long run as booster $ is diverted to pay for play for the top athletes and when the smaller schools can’t keep up with the absurdity of what the blue bloods can do.

Reactions: goru1869
NIL is not the disaster. That was just the Supreme Court saying the athletes were being exploited, which was true. The disaster is the NCAA and the big conferences not having the vision and unity to come up with a system that is fair but brings some stability. They may move to deal with it eventually. But as NIL is still so new and evolving fast it’s hard to create a system to regulate it.

Exploited by a free education? Hmmm. I wish I could have been exploited with a free education back when I was at Rutgers.

Well if the players are generating their own revenue now, bill them for the usage of the stadium and other facilities.

And hey maybe some schools can start an inter-university intramural sports league by conference. ; )

I'd buy a ticket to watch that.

And good point made in the article about Olympic sports going to really suffer
Nobody cares about the olympic sports. If they did, they would survive in this new environment. Since when are you for subsidizing things that don't make a profit?

Well if the players are generating their own revenue now, bill them for the usage of the stadium and other facilities.

And hey maybe some schools can start an inter-university intramural sports league by conference. ; )

I'd buy a ticket to watch that.
Take the athletes away and nobody would pump millions of dollars into the school by showing up to those stadiums. Stop being obtuse.

Take the athletes away and nobody would pump millions of dollars into the school by showing up to those stadiums. Stop being obtuse.

I'll be obtuse if I want to. Which I wasn't.

You really think people are going to continue to show up at the stadium to watch players on the team for only one year before they move on to better NIL deals at other schools? Sure.

It's gonna be great to watch the top 20 players leave for more money and better programs every year with the transfer portal and NILs. Then we import 20 more new players through the portal by upgrading their NIL paydays - who are on their way out the door at the end of the season.

Enjoy.

Hope it was worth it to the players too.

Last edited:
Nobody cares about the olympic sports. If they did, they would survive in this new environment. Since when are you for subsidizing things that don't make a profit?

Well Title 9 is going to have a say.

And then there's the thing about the traditions of college sports - you know the things that separate them from the better professional sports but still enable them to attract rabid fans - many of which are alumni - who value the things like their connections to the college experience shared by the players that NILs and transfer portals are destroying.

Exploited by a free education? Hmmm. I wish I could have been exploited with a free education back when I was at Rutgers.
Well if you do something really well, so well that it can generate millions in revenue, then I’m sure we can find you some school willing to give you a little scholarship to direct all that revenue to them.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Agree - folks act like a scholarship and all of the benefits that come along with it are worthless. It won’t take long before you will be able to easily correlate a college’s on-field success directly to amount of NIL money spent on players.

Reactions: bac2therac
Question: Can the B1G, through BTN (which broadcasts every player’s name, image and likeness and generates income from sponsors), grant NIL money to every school in the conference, so they can all go out and buy the best available players every year? Same for all the other Power conferences that have their own networks. Would NIL rules allow this?

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
And generally excellent facilities to hone your craft as well as a stipend to cover you expenses as a college student. The value of a free college education, the cost of which is behind the whole student loan debacle, was minimized in this "exploitation" narrative. Yes TV contracts are large and schools did themselves no favor from an optics perspective by allowing coaching salaries to sky rocket, but if you want to run an first class athletic program for over 20 sports that money gets allocated out pretty quickly.

Well Title 9 is going to have a say.

And then there's the thing about the traditions of college sports - you know the things that separate them from the better professional sports but still enable them to attract rabid fans - many of which are alumni - who value the things like their connections to the college experience shared by the players that NILs and transfer portals are destroying.
Lia Thomas laughs at title 9

Question: Can the B1G, through BTN (which broadcasts every player’s name, image and likeness and generates income from sponsors), grant NIL money to every school in the conference, so they can all go out and buy the best available players every year? Same for all the other Power conferences that have their own networks. Would NIL rules allow this?
No, the schools cannot be involved.

Reactions: Phi_1055
No, the schools cannot be involved.
Ok. Now wondering whether BTN could spin off into a separate and legal independent entity, so it would be like any other corporate sponsor of NIL deals.

Ok. Now wondering whether BTN could spin off into a separate and legal independent entity, so it would be like any other corporate sponsor of NIL deals.
Why would OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa want to share NIL money with Rutgers? Do you think they actually want us to be competitive in football and compete with them for recruits and national attention? We exist to provide access to the NYC metro market, not to be a force within the conference. Same deal for Northwestern, they provide access to the Chicago market, they let them lose 30+ games in a row at one point without lifting a finger to help them. Northwestern had to pull themselves up by the bootstraps in order to produce winning teams, just like we will have to, don't expect fairness going forward even within the same conference in the new world NIL order.

Why would OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa want to share NIL money with Rutgers? Do you think they actually want us to be competitive in football and compete with them for recruits and national attention? We exist to provide access to the NYC metro market, not to be a force within the conference. Same deal for Northwestern, they provide access to the Chicago market, they let them lose 30+ games in a row at one point without lifting a finger to help them. Northwestern had to pull themselves up by the bootstraps in order to produce winning teams, just like we will have to, don't expect fairness going forward even within the same conference in the new world NIL order.
All good points. But it would be in the best interest of BTN and therefore the whole conference if every team in the B1G had the best players available. More eyes on every game brings more sponsorship money.

As students of Prof Marshall will recall -“Excess profits breeds ruinous competition”

Smarty pants.

He didn’t originate it but he said it constantly in his Real Estate Investing class.

Right now there’s a feeding frenzy with the NILs and lots of “dumb money” pouring in. Things will calm down. It might take a few years though.

And you called someone else obtuse?!?!? The 5k+ fans at the wrestling matches say hello.
SEC probably has this already figured out even prior to the NIL. The NIL is going to erode away some of the current fan bases as it gets abused more and more. It's already started.

He didn’t originate it but he said it constantly in his Real Estate Investing class.

Right now there’s a feeding frenzy with the NILs and lots of “dumb money” pouring in. Things will calm down. It might take a few years though.
I see other people say things will calm down too. I don’t see that happening. Just my opinion but if anything i think it is likely to get worse.

And you called someone else obtuse?!?!? The 5k+ fans at the wrestling matches say hello.

SEC probably has this already figured out even prior to the NIL. The NIL is going to erode away some of the current fan bases as it gets abused more and more. It's already started.
Can those 5k fans keep the program afloat? That's the crux of our conversation here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT