ADVERTISEMENT

So how are you suppose to prevent that pass to Edey in second half?

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
Second half felt like every Purdue possession was a pass to Edey in the paint who would either score or get fouled.

How are you suppose to guard that?
It absolutely killed us for stretches in second half.

And why didn't we go after him more in second half and try to get him into foul trouble

Second half felt like every Purdue possession was a pass to Edey in the paint who would either score or get fouled.

And why didn't we go after him more in second half and try to get him into foul trouble
Teach the ref to wait for a foul and stop calling anticipated fouls.

We won....don't care anymore.

It’s a tough challenge Painter does a great job designing plays to get Edey deep in the paint after screens. I saw a couple times we would blow up the play and force the guard way out past the 3pt line forcing a tough entry pass on the rolling Edey and giving time for Cliff to recover and deny the post. I’m definitely no expert though and I’m sure @Geo_Baker_1 could give you a better explanation of what Rutgers game plan is vs big dominant bigs.

Edey violated 3 second rule numerous times not by 1 second, but generally was in paint 7-8 seconds and never called. When you give 7’4” person that ability, it’s very, very difficult to defend.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
it appeared we did a better job in the last 4-5 minutes than earlier in the half...on the other hand that left the perimeter open..damned if you do, damned if you dont, i would rather force a freshmen to beat you

Cliff still has a bit to learn. He could have done a better job fronting him at times and pushing him out a little bit further.

With that being said PURDUe does a very good job reversing the ball so fronting him on one side has you in a bad spot when the ball moves to the other side.

Cliff still has a bit to learn. He could have done a better job fronting him at times and pushing him out a little bit further.

With that being said PURDUe does a very good job reversing the ball so fronting him on one side has you in a bad spot when the ball moves to the other side.

Seemed like in the second half they were doing this deliberately. He would be open early in the possession but they would still swing it around the perimeter before they dumped it inside. Worked well for them.

Cliff did about as well as he could given the circumstances. I thought for sure he was going to foul out. Edey is just so massive that you have to double when he has the ball in his hands and force him to kick it out or turn the ball over.

Last edited:
Edey turning down a good look in the post with the game on the line tells me a lot.

I look at things from a RU perspective, sometimes ignoring other teams have the same issues we have.

Does Purdue have the guy who wants to take the big shot with the game on the line?

Reactions: redking
Teach the ref to wait for a foul and stop calling anticipated fouls.
Exactly we couldn't press which was causing turnovers in the first half because all of players and especially our key player in the press, Mawot, had 3 fouls so we could not press or pressure the ball like we wanted because the refs would call everything. One example, of the many of course, was Antoine made a perfect deflection of the pass into Edey in the second half watched it 3 times did not touch him but as you say above whistle and a call of the ANTICIPATED contact/foul!!!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Edey violated 3 second rule numerous times not by 1 second, but generally was in paint 7-8 seconds and never called. When you give 7’4” person that ability, it’s very, very difficult to defend.
You are 100% correct; a perfect example and I timed this play 3 times; the play where they hit there final 3 pointer with 29.8 seconds left; and this is it went most of the night, Edey in the lane for 2 seconds before he receives the ball, has it for 3 more seconds and passes out then he actually never leaves the lane because his foot is still in the lane for 3 more seconds for a total of 8 seconds
somehow this HAS to be made aware to the officials because this IS a rule there is something called a 3 second violation
So if he can't camp out there he wont be receiving the ball in such good position

Reactions: redking
it appeared we did a better job in the last 4-5 minutes than earlier in the half...on the other hand that left the perimeter open..damned if you do, damned if you dont, i would rather force a freshmen to beat you
That probably went hand in hand where the refs didn't want to decide the game, like it's easier to call a soft foul in minute 22 then it is in minute 38

If he's in deep, you try your best to front.... and weak side guy comes over to help if there's a lob entry.
If he's not deep in the post, I would play it straight up and NOT double unless Edey goes into a dribble.
I'm not a fan of doubling when the post player still has his dribble.

Was pretty obvious we had a plan for dealing with Edey and, in the first half, it worked. He got quick fouls and had to sit out.

In the first half, our D would collapse on Edey the moment the ball was passed, so he had to pass to a teammate. Problem, for them, is that they were missing most of their outside shots in the first half - their shooting was way off. So the plan worked.

But in the second half, they calmed down and started hitting their outside shots so we couldn't collapse 5 guys on Edey anymore, which freed Edey up. As @bac2therac observed earlier in the thread, when you have a dominant center like Edey, it's damned if you do (double/triple team), damned if you don't.

I think Pike had a very good game plan but we have to remember that the other team is also good and also well-coached and also likely to have a good game plan. Two good teams playing, two good game plans, one team had slightly more success executing their plan than the other. That's what the difference was. Next game might go the other way.

The good news for us is that there are some relatively easy things we can do to improve on for our next game against them. We can to avoid making cheap fouls. Show better composure and shot selection in the second half. Rebound better, particularly on the offensive side (although rebounding isn't nearly as easy as the other two things).

Whereas, for them, it seemed kind of like it was mostly just bad shooting that did them in the first half. Their shot selection was fine with a bunch of wide open 3 point attempts - they were just off on their shots and had bad luck w/Edey getting two quick fouls.

So they might not have so much room to improve for our next game which would give us an advantage if both teams execute to their potential. And we can hope that the officiating is a little less favorable to them although with our style of D, we're gonna get called more than most teams; just how it is.

MD is going to be a tough game, but I have little doubt Pike will have a good game plan. Hopefully the team comes out with equal or greater energy as the Purdue game and avoids foul trouble.

Like several others here, I was concerned Cliff would be saddled with two fouls before breaking a sweat....I was shocked, and never considered the possibility that their center would get the two fouls first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT